• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #57 - An Eventful Summer

CK3 Dev Diary #57 - An Eventful Summer​

Hello everyone!

I hope you’re enjoying the warmer days, and that you are looking forward to hearing a bit more about the free patch, Azure, that we’re releasing this summer.

Before we get into the meat of today's Dev Diary I want to clarify something regarding the Azure patch; it's being made by a smaller group of CK3 devs in a Strike Team setup, which means that not everyone on the CK3 Dev team is working on the patch. We hope that we'll still be able to address quite a few of your concerns, but we won't have time to address everything. Still, keep sending us feedback, as it helps us prioritize!

This dev diary will focus on one area of the patch and as a Content Designer I am – unsurprisingly – here to talk about events and such. More specifically I am here to talk about some new content that we’re including in Azure, and joining me in this dev diary is one of our new Content Designers: Isabella! As developers we all have areas of the game that we would like to expand upon and flesh out a bit, and two areas are now getting some love: childhood and lifestyle events.

Childhood​

Children always want to grow up fast, and no child feels this more actually than the one that just inherited the entire realm at the mature age of six. Oh woe, what can a young king do to pass the long days ahead until he can scheme and murder to his heart’s content? Play with other young rulers, of course! Azure includes a new activity for children called Meet Peers that will make childhood more interesting and full of experiences.

gathering.png

[Image of the start event for the Meet Peers activity]

Meet Peers is an activity available for children where they can gather all young rulers and courtiers in the realm to just play and forget about the dreariness of life as a child in medieval times. All participants will lose stress and increase their opinion of the host, and the children attending the playdate can find themselves in fun and educational situations!

brave.png

[Image of an event that can appear when you Meet Peers]

Of course, there may also be any number of less… wholesome consequences from bringing that many children together.

playing_rough.png

[Image of an event that can appear when you Meet Peers]

And if socializing just isn’t your thing and friends are easiest made (and killed) through schemes we’ve also reduced the age restrictions for Sway and Murder slightly. All to enable you to live out your scheming rule from as young an age as possible!

Lifestyle events​

Or, if your children just can’t wait to grow up, you could let them try their fate fighting against grown soldiers in a tournament. In this patch, we have a couple of new lifestyle events coming your way, including the Tantrum Tourney event chain for Martial Authority characters.

tantrumtourneyhighres.PNG

[Image of the starting event from the Tantrum Tourney event chain]

‘Hym repented that he came there!’ - 14th Century Romance Richard Coer de Lyon on grown dukes and lords regretting each moment as they get impaled by a lance manned by an adolescent child.

A trope of romances detailing the life of Richard the Lionheart likes to exaggerate the dates of his reign to present him as a King who was a child monarch. This seems to be done almost exclusively so he can be presented as perhaps the greatest demon of a child who ever lived. Child Richard is shown ordering all of his noblemen to fight him in a tournament - on pain of death, and beating everyone who turns up to a pulp.

Will you allow your baby’s first bloodlust to be unleashed upon your knights, who certainly did not sign up for this?

Keep your eyes peeled while your character is studying their Lifestyle! You might see a few new moments cropping up. Especially if you have war elephants… but what are you doing if you don’t already have war elephants?

That’s it for this week, thank you all for reading!

• 164Like
  • 34Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Interesting. Does it mean that you own children will develop frienships and relationships with other children? Or is this just if your character is a child? Have some "first love" events been introduced for teens too? I have always thought that Children did not have much special for them in CK.

• 14Like
Reactions:
Does this mean that there is no plan for the return of regencies anytime soon? I'm not sure if the CK2 system was good, but I'd like to see it reworked maybe.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Interesting. Does it mean that you own children will develop frienships and relationships with other children? Or is this just if your character is a child? Have some "first love" events been introduced for teens too? I have always thought that Children did not have much special for them.
Only rulers will be able to hold the activity, but your child might be invited to, for example, a fellow vassal's playdate if that vassal is a child!

• 19Like
Reactions:
More events, very nice.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I am really happy that additional events are being added, particularly additional childhood events. :)

I have a question though: Are there any plans to add additional childhood *personality* events? I personally think there should be more of them, and a while ago I made a thread in the suggestion forum with some ideas.

• 15Like
Reactions:
This is exciting, one of my favorite ever characters inherited Ireland and a single county at a young age and grew into an amazing scholar-queen. Sadly this was 1.0 so the save is surely broken now.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am really happy that additional events are being added, particularly additional childhood events. :)

I have a question though: Are there any plans to add additional childhood *personality* events? I personally think there should be more of them, and a while ago I made a thread in the suggestion forum with some ideas.
We have no concrete plans for this, but I agree that more variety is always fun. Thank you for the suggestions, it's always great to see!

• 35Like
Reactions:
One of the things that makes CK3 fun are these RP events, its nice to see more :p

• 3Like
Reactions:
Does this mean that there is no plan for the return of regencies anytime soon? I'm not sure if the CK2 system was good, but I'd like to see it reworked maybe.
I'd looooove to see (better) regencies come back! As primitive as the CK2 implementation was, I feel like CK3 could make even something like that feel better simply by the virtue of (evidently) being willing to invest more into the RP and character interactions side of things. Something that CK2 Regencies were sorely lacking.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Interesting. Does it mean that you own children will develop frienships and relationships with other children? Or is this just if your character is a child? Have some "first love" events been introduced for teens too? I have always thought that Children did not have much special for them in CK.
Particularly interested in "first love" or similar events, as it'd make for great drama when your heir (or your character) falls in love with someone and throws a wrench into your marriage plans! It'd make the Elope scheme even more fun (and possibly even used by the AI) too!

• 5Like
Reactions: