• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #56 - An Azure Summer​

Greetings!

This week we have a few announcements to make! Firstly, as you saw in the last diary, we mentioned the number 1.3.X - this is the version number for an upcoming patch that we’re aiming to release around this summer (of course, the ‘X’ part will be an actual digit when it’s released, but for now we’ll just have to wait to see what it’ll be in the end!).

As you already know, we tend to name our patches using heraldic terms. The Northern Lords release had the name ‘Corvus’ for example. As we’re hoping for clear blue skies this summer, we’ve dubbed this patch ‘Azure’!

The Azure patch is a free patch, and there will not be any paid content coming out at the same time. It’ll focus on improving the stability of the game, fixing bugs, adding Quality of Life, balancing various systems, and adding some small features requested by the community. We’ll not go into many details in this diary, instead you can look forward to more info in some of the upcoming Dev Diaries!

Until then, here is a first teaser of some of the improvements that you will find in the patch:
  • War Declaration Window: The war declaration UI flow will be revisited in order to better highlight your opponent’s strength and the different objectives available for a given Casus Belli
  • Starting Men at Arms: Rulers will now start with a contingent of Men at Arms, depending on their income and culture. Default Men at Arms will also be generated when a Character is landed for the first time.
StartingMaA.png

[Image of Duchess Matilda's starting MaA]

We hope to release Azure this summer, before the vacation season (the summer vacation usually starts late June and ends by the end of July) - but depending on how our plans work out, it might release during late summer.

Another thing we’re actively working with is improving Multiplayer stability, although this is separate from the upcoming Azure patch. We’re currently collecting as much data as we can, and it’s a process that’ll take time - at this point we’d not want to release the improvements as a patch.

Instead we’re aiming to release an Open Beta on Steam where you can get access to some of the Multiplayer stability improvements early. We highly recommend using this Open Beta when playing with your friends. This version of the game will have extra Multiplayer logging enabled, so that any remaining issues can be found more easily. As a side effect of these additional logs, the game will run a bit slower both in multiplayer and in singleplayer. If you notice the slowdown, you might want to switch back from the Open Beta for your singleplayer sessions. More specific info will be posted as the Open Beta is released.

This Open Beta will be available sometime in the near future for Steam users.

Now, as most of you have already figured out, the first big Expansion will be revealed during PDXCon in May! We’re looking forward to then, and to be able to share more details with you!

During the week of PDXCon we’ll have a DevDiary where we go into some detail about parts of the Expansion (we know that you’ll be hungry for more info after seeing the show!). After that diary, there will be some more Azure patch diaries before we start writing further Expansion diaries - just a heads up, so you know what to expect!

During the week of PDXCon we’ll have a DevDiary where we go into some detail about parts of the Expansion (we know that you’ll be hungry for more info after seeing the show!). After that diary, there will be some more Azure patch diaries before we start writing further Expansion diaries - just a heads up, so you know what to expect!
How exciting!!! It is a pity that we won't be able to experience it until after summer :_(

• 3Like
Reactions:
This is exciting news, It has always been frustrating to spend large portions of my starting treasury to get just a single unit of catapults, although I suppose income in the early game will go down as a result of this.

Reactions:
That's great to hear, I'm looking forward to the first big expansion.

Reactions:
I really hope that the first expansion is focused on re-adding stuff from Holy Fury. Playing Catholics in CK3 feels extremely underwhelming even compared to pre-HF CK2.

• 6Like
Reactions:
This is exciting news, It has always been frustrating to spend large portions of my starting treasury to get just a single unit of catapults, although I suppose income in the early game will go down as a result of this.
By about 20%.
We're however upping starting treasury sizes 50% to give you a faster start.

• 11Like
Reactions:
Instead we’re aiming to release an Open Beta on Steam where you can get access to some of the Multiplayer stability improvements early. We highly recommend using this Open Beta when playing with your friends

Yed ! We had issues sometimes with some poeple hosting, this is really welcome thanks, will do.

Reactions:
Sounds good - I'll look forward to hearing more about the QOL improvements. Also, thank you very much for giving a roadmap of what to expect from the patch and diaries in the future. Now, we know to expect just 1 diary on the expansion before going back to a stretch of patch DDs, and we know pre-vacation is a hope but not a guarantee for when the patch will come out. Feels good to have those expectations nailed down :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Starting Men at Arms: Rulers will now start with a contingent of Men at Arms, depending on their income and culture. Default Men at Arms will also be generated when a Character is landed for the first time.
Oh that's nice, that'll considerably speed up early game, will buff bigger realms at game start, and might aleviate some choice paralysis when playing the Norse and their gazillion possible MaA

• 1Love
Reactions:
Excellent, this patch is just what we need at the moment!

It's just me who think that waiting for mid June (if everything go right) or by August (if everything go wrong) is too much?

It's even worse if I think that I have no faith in surprises and I have no assurance that saving game rule/search option will be in this patch (my first issue with the game right now).

At least we know for sure that the expansion will be presented in the PDXCon and we are going to know more about it in the dev diary right next to it, September/October release date is my best bet.

Reactions:
I hope the incoming patch dont break my saves! And all my hopes are in the next DLC <3

• 3Like
Reactions:

CK3 Dev Diary #56 - An Azure Summer​

Greetings!

This week we have a few announcements to make! Firstly, as you saw in the last diary, we mentioned the number 1.3.X - this is the version number for an upcoming patch that we’re aiming to release around this summer (of course, the ‘X’ part will be an actual digit when it’s released, but for now we’ll just have to wait to see what it’ll be in the end!).

As you already know, we tend to name our patches using heraldic terms. The Northern Lords release had the name ‘Corvus’ for example. As we’re hoping for clear blue skies this summer, we’ve dubbed this patch ‘Azure’!

The Azure patch is a free patch, and there will not be any paid content coming out at the same time. It’ll focus on improving the stability of the game, fixing bugs, adding Quality of Life, balancing various systems, and adding some small features requested by the community. We’ll not go into many details in this diary, instead you can look forward to more info in some of the upcoming Dev Diaries!

Until then, here is a first teaser of some of the improvements that you will find in the patch:
  • War Declaration Window: The war declaration UI flow will be revisited in order to better highlight your opponent’s strength and the different objectives available for a given Casus Belli
  • Starting Men at Arms: Rulers will now start with a contingent of Men at Arms, depending on their income and culture. Default Men at Arms will also be generated when a Character is landed for the first time.
View attachment 706667
[Image of Duchess Matilda's starting MaA]

We hope to release Azure this summer, before the vacation season (the summer vacation usually starts late June and ends by the end of July) - but depending on how our plans work out, it might release during late summer.

Another thing we’re actively working with is improving Multiplayer stability, although this is separate from the upcoming Azure patch. We’re currently collecting as much data as we can, and it’s a process that’ll take time - at this point we’d not want to release the improvements as a patch.

Instead we’re aiming to release an Open Beta on Steam where you can get access to some of the Multiplayer stability improvements early. We highly recommend using this Open Beta when playing with your friends. This version of the game will have extra Multiplayer logging enabled, so that any remaining issues can be found more easily. As a side effect of these additional logs, the game will run a bit slower both in multiplayer and in singleplayer. If you notice the slowdown, you might want to switch back from the Open Beta for your singleplayer sessions. More specific info will be posted as the Open Beta is released.

This Open Beta will be available sometime in the near future for Steam users.

Now, as most of you have already figured out, the first big Expansion will be revealed during PDXCon in May! We’re looking forward to then, and to be able to share more details with you!

Clear Blue Skies = Horse Lords DLC ???????? (i got hyped already)

• 4Like
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
Good afternoon,a great dd,however,question,are you forced to keep conserving generate men at arms or you can delete it and play without them if you want as before?
If not possible,can you at least mod it?
Thanks for any replies about this.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Starting Men at Arms: Rulers will now start with a contingent of Men at Arms, depending on their income and culture. Default Men at Arms will also be generated when a Character is landed for the first time.

AI rulers as well or just players?

Reactions: