• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #31 - A Stressful Situation

Dev Diary #31 - A Stressful Situation
Hello everyone! I come to you today with the long-awaited Dev Diary on how Stress works in Crusader Kings III! While the system is relatively straightforward, it does have some rather far-reaching ramifications for how characters choose to behave, so let us dive right in!

Stress
Stress is a representation of a character’s mental well-being. As characters accumulate Stress, they will increase up their Stress Level, with each level causing increasing penalties to their health and fertility values. The penalties at Stress Level 1 are fairly minor, but the penalties at Stress Level 3 can lead your character to an early grave!

image7.jpg

[A screenshot showing the player character with nearly-maxed out Stress]

The primary way that characters gain Stress is when the demands of the realm force them to take actions which go against their nature. For example, a Compassionate character will gain Stress for executing prisoners in the dungeon, even if those prisoners were traitorous rebels or, ahem… inconveniently positioned in the line of succession.

image4.jpg

[A screenshot showing a Compassionate character gaining 42 Stress for executing a prisoner]

There are other sources of Stress too, though. Being locked up in the dungeon of another character will gradually increase Stress over time, as the isolation and neglect take their toll on your psyche. Other causes include overwork or the death of a loved one. Regardless of the source, once a character accumulates enough Stress to pass a certain threshold and gain a Stress Level, they will suffer from a Mental Break.

Mental Breaks

Mental Breaks are a special kind of event which occurs when Stress overwhelms a character and compels them to do something — anything — to gain relief. Exactly what type of Mental Break a character has depends heavily on their personality traits, and each one gives the character several options for dealing with the situation they have found themselves in.

image3.jpg

[A screenshot showing the player character suffering from overwhelming guilt and shame as part of a Mental Break]

Not all Mental Breaks are equal, and the severity of the Mental Break will depend on your Stress Level when the event occurs. A Level 1 Mental Break may cause a Wrathful character to yell at one of their vassals in front of the whole court, insulting them and wounding their pride… but a Tier 3 Mental Break may instead drive that same character to murder their chosen heir in a fit of rage!

In addition to differing by Stress Level, some Mental Breaks are influenced by the situation you find yourself in. As an example, characters who are locked up in a dungeon cell will suffering from completely different Mental Breaks (often of greater severity), some of which can radically change their personality.

image6.jpg

[A screenshot showing the player character swearing vengeance on their enemies from prison]

Regardless of what kind of Mental Break they suffer from, all Mental Breaks give the afflicted character the opportunity to lose a large amount of Stress. Many of these options will also grant the afflicted character a Coping Mechanism trait, which will help them relieve stress in the future and thus reduce the likelihood of having additional Mental Breaks.

Coping Mechanisms
Coping Mechanisms are traits that represent the long-term methods characters have developed to deal with the Stress of their life. Most of them impose some form of minor penalty on a character’s skills, but in exchange they will enhance the potency of all forms of stress loss.

image2.jpg

[A screenshot showing a selection of 4 Coping Mechanism traits: Rakish, Drunkard, Flagellant, and Comfort Eater]

In addition to the passive effects of each trait, each one also enables a unique Decision characters can take to indulge in their vice and relieve a portion of their accumulated stress.

image1.jpg

[A screenshot showing the Decision to visit a brothel and lose stress]

Regardless of the form it takes, all Coping Mechanisms are useful in one form or another. Having the ability to make Stressful decisions at-will is often more useful than a few extra points of Diplomacy or Stewardship, and each Coping Mechanism a character acquires makes it progressively easier for them to manage their Stress. It is expected that most rulers will acquire 1 or 2 Coping Mechanisms during their lifetime, though in some rare circumstances a character may end up with more.

Strategic Considerations
As developers, our goal with the Stress system is not to prohibit or punish players for taking certain actions, but rather to make them think twice about otherwise no-brainer decisions. Is it really worth it to execute that foreign claimant when doing so will give you 42 Stress? Maybe, but maybe not! That is a decision you will need to make when the time comes.

In this way, Stress also gives us another tool we can use to balance the various personality traits against each other. Some traits like Ambitious and Compassionate may have higher numerical bonuses, but they cause you to acquire Stress more frequently or in larger amounts. Others like Sadistic may make your vassals loathe you, but your character won’t be bothered by pesky concerns like morality when they have to do what needs to be done. Who knows... they might even enjoy it!

image8.jpg

[A screenshot showing showing the Skill and Stress differences between the Lazy and Diligent Personality Traits]

Regardless of what personality traits your character has, the optimal strategy with Stress is often not to avoid acquiring Stress at all costs, but rather to strategically acquire certain Coping Mechanisms and leverage them intelligently to keep your character’s Stress at ideal levels. Managing your character’s Stress well will ensure you are always able to take advantage of any opportunities that come your way, while behaving recklessly may leave you Stressed to the point of insanity during a crucial moment of your reign…

image5.jpg

[A screenshot showing a stressed ruler having their very own Nero moment]

Anyway, that is all I have for you this week. I hope this has given you some insight into how the Stress system works in Crusader Kings III, and that this has inspired everyone to think of new and creative ways to leverage the system to its full potential! Feel free to ask any questions you have in the comments, as I will be sticking around for a few hours to explain and elaborate on the Stress system.

Last edited:
  • 187Like
  • 84Love
Reactions:
Poor Matilda! What have you done to her!?

• 39Haha
  • 3Like
Reactions:
I really don’t know about this. I have a bad feeling to be forced to play some kind of char which I do not want to.
Sure in some games I enjoy to play like the chars stats, however in others I don’t.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Great read, I can't wait to see how this feels. I really like the idea of stress levels affecting how severe the mental break is!

• 4Like
Reactions:
I really don’t know about this. I have a bad feeling to be forced to play some kind of char which I do not want to.
Sure in some games I enjoy to play like the chars stats, however in others I don’t.
I mean, it is a role playing game disguised as a grand strategy game. If you don't want to play a character might I suggest EU4?

• 13Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Now this, this is a cool mechanic. I can't wait to stress myself to early grave!

• 7Haha
  • 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Not all Mental Breaks are equal, and the severity of the Mental Break will depend on your Stress Level when the event occurs. A Level 1 Mental Break may cause a Wrathful character to yell at one of their vassals in front of the whole court, insulting them and wounding their pride… but a Tier 3 Mental Break may instead drive that same character to murder their chosen heir in a fit of rage!

Oh that actually sounds fantastic. Unforeseen consequences for your soul-mutilating actions are the best!

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
So coping mechanisms are quite cool, but I wonder/worry about cooldown times? So visiting a brothel once every three years if you character is into that sort of thing doesn't seem very immersive to me (unless they were deeply religious, and therefore trying to counterbalance those competing stressors). I think also of Kings who would just go hunting and not focus on the job at hand of ruling the land - once every three years doesnt feel like much of a vice.

So will all coping mechanisms have a universal 3 year cooldown, or will some be ones that could be deployed every other week (but relieve less stress), and others be used sparingly (ones deepest darkest, most taboo vices)?

Also, will all things that stress you be bad, like executing someone etc, or will some be 'good' things, that you'd want to do in-game? So to use the hunting example again, if you're lazy and useless and just like hunting, would actually trying to rule stress you out, instead of being the wastrel you are at heart? Would make role playing as non diligent characters quite interesting.

• 7Like
Reactions:
stress level only lower health?
or maybe there will be some event about bad at some jobs because of stress
hope there will be many different mental breakdown event one can choose
maybe some have eventchain about the consequence of breakdown

• 2Like
Reactions:
Er, a woman visiting a male brothel? I'd like at least a modicum of historical sensibility.
A woman relieving herself of stress with disposable and possibly paid lovers is nothing particularly strange, it's just the wording of that event that is clearly written for a man's point of view and then applied to women too even though it comes off as weird in certain parts (a man on her lap? That's an odd mental image).

The stress system sounds great though!

• 19Like
Reactions:
Not entirely sold on the 'levels' of stress, just seems a bit too abstract for my liking. Perhaps your stress counter and the exact numeric effect of stressful events could be hidden, and instead we could be given a gradient from 'Not Stressed' to 'Extremely Stressed' for our stress level, and the effect of events measured similarly (an event been 'extremely stressful' instead of "+44 stress" example)? That way, there could just be a higher chance of more disastrous mental breaks at higher levels, rather than hard capping them, and we'd also not have perfect information on stress (like with health) which I think would be better. Otherwise I do really like the look of the mechanic overall, definitely one of the best roleplaying mechanics that we've been shown in my opinion.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Is there a chance that the characters could inadvertently kill themselves while trying to de-stress? The Flegallent in particular looks like it could potentially be dangerous a weaker character.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Dev Diary is up.
You lose 50 Stress.

• 47Haha
  • 11Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: