• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #99 - Do you like me yet?

Greetings.

Today we will be focusing on a couple of new actions made available by Holy Fury: Sway and Antagonize.

20180730083611_1.jpg

This feature will allow players to have a more personal relation with other characters within diplomatic reach, giving them the chance to choose one person to Sway and one to Antagonize.
Once a target has been selected through the new buttons - which will be accessible both through the character’s window as well as by right-clicking on the character’s portrait - the player will regularly receive events giving him the opportunity to either increase or reduce the target’s Opinion of him.
Success chances when trying to Sway another character are influenced both by the player’s Diplomacy as well as by the target’s “compatibility” with your character. Trying to Sway a character with traits opposite to your own (such as Deceitful vs Honest) might prove to be a harder task than befriending somebody with whom you share some interests. On the other hand, some of the events triggered through the Sway action will give you the chance to influence the targeted character’s traits as well, thus increasing your degree of compatibility.

Additionally, you will find that different rulers have different ideas on how to best Sway their target, based on their own personality and lifestyle traits. After all, an Impaler’s idea of a good time is not the same as an Hedonist’s, and a Cruel character trying to be charming might end up presenting some questionable gifts to his target...

20180730084001_1.jpg

Some offenses are more serious than others, and if you have committed a terrible act against the target character in the past (such as, for example, torturing him), you will have a harder time Swaying him, as you’ll first need to obtain forgiveness for your past misdeeds. This can be accomplished through special events fired while Swaying a character that truly hates you. If successful, rather than gaining a positive opinion modifier, you will see the target character lose the negative opinion modifier caused by your past crime.

20180730084719_1.jpg

Antagonize works in the opposite way: its chances of success are based on Intrigue rather than Diplomacy, and the action will push your targeted character into hating you more and more, all the way to becoming your Rival.
This is not all, of course: Antagonizing a character will give you the opportunity to hurt him indirectly, destabilizing either his realm or his mind. Additionally, if your ruler is Cruel, Deceitful, or has any other wicked trait, Antagonizing will be a good way to refine his skills and maintain a good mental state.

Both Sway and Antagonize come with a large set of flavor events, providing new and varied ways to either befriend or hinder your ruler’s most and least favorite acquaintances.

Does this in any way interact with Seduction, Intrigue, Carousing, etc.? E.g. are there special interactions if you both Sway and Seduce the same character or if you Antagonize and Spy on the same character etc.
No, they work in parallel.
Will swaying be able to overcome things like the not same religion malus for inviting people to court exc?
The diplomatic interaction "---" for being of a different religion will still remain, but you will be able to increase the +++ for his (or his liege's, depending on the case) opinion of you.

Is this so you can't game the Pope into loving you and giving you whatever you want?
Yes.
Like we discovered . Courtiers cant sway and Antagonize. But can we sway and Antagonize courtiers in our court, vassals court or even enemy courts to gain friends who support your plots?
Yes, players can Sway or Antagonize courtiers who are within range.

Can we use the Sway and Antagonize mechanics on one person, simultaneously? I want to have a love-hate relationship with some people.

Can we use the Sway and Antagonize mechanics on one person, simultaneously? I want to have a love-hate relationship with some people.
Eh, no.
If you so desire, you can start Swaying your target, then switch to Antagonizing him a few years later, and then continue back and forth as you like. I'm sure the AI will be very confused.

No, they work in parallel.
:( It's always a bit sad when various mechanics do not interact. Eg. compatibility in swaying could interact great with sharing a Focus.

Eh, no.
If you so desire, you can start Swaying your target, then switch to Antagonizing him a few years later, and then continue back and forth as you like. I'm sure the AI will be very confused.

Tsundere Kings II :rolleyes:

I'm afraid so. Note that it is only towards your own religious head, you can still Sway the Fylkir if you are, say, Catholic.

I understand that this is blocked due to otherwise it being to brainer to sway religious head 99% of time.
Instead of blocking it completely, why not decrease frequency of sway events for religious heads? It's still can be used on them, but wouldn't be so obviously overpowered.

The ugliness of German provinces hurts me on a personal level. Redraw when?

The diplomatic interaction "---" for being of a different religion will still remain, but you will be able to increase the +++ for his (or his liege's, depending on the case) opinion of you.
So you revamped the character screen but the pluses and minuses are still here? You do realise they are hard to count when you have a dozen of each and wonder if you can bribe(or sway for that matter) the guy into liking you just enough to do what you want?

Most of my dev diaries have been written and screened in advance, hence some of the areas in the map have still the older look.
Aha, so Germany has been updated? Nice to know, thanks!
only took them thirteen years

Looks like a nice mechanic although not gamechanging it probably will see its moments.

Lookning forward to DD #100:D

I know it's not the topic of current dev dairy, but....
Can one of you devs post the picture of "Crusader Empire" - ouremer (or smth like that).
I really want to see its colour and CoA.
Snow crystal...please.

I know it is somewhat hypocritical of me to say this after my last post, but let us keep the DD somewhat on topic, please. Then you can nag at me for other things in other threads :p

How about we sway the devs into starting a new tradition on this forum?

How bout regardless of topic, we just throw in a reformation doctrine or nature in there with it? Ya know almost like Wiz does on the Twitter, just little crumbs now and then.

Comeon man I'm jonsen over here for just a little bit more reformation info. And I know I'm not the only one.

And I've been wondering, are we at all going to see more info on the reformations before launch? I mean conceivably you could do 1 or even 3 dev diaries on them. Some of us would just like to start planning our combos / runs out.