• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #88 - A Faith In My Own Image

Greetings!

Bit of a sneaky DevDiary today - this Friday (when we usually post Dev Diaries) is the time for Midsummer celebrations here in Sweden, so we wouldn't be able to answer your questions! Tomorrow we'll be busy eating pickled herring and getting rained on, but today we're here for you!

By now it’s hardly a secret that the two main focuses for the Holy Fury expansion are going to be Catholicism as well as Paganism. Playing as a Catholic is core to the game, with a grounded set of rules for you to adhere to (and abuse). Playing a Pagan, in contrast, is a more visceral and instantly gratifying experience - with a strong emphasis on dynamism compared to the more rigid christian faiths. Before going any further, it’s worth noting that the Pagan religious group will be unlocked and playable with Holy Fury.

With Holy Fury, reforming a Pagan faith is no longer a one-click type of deal. Instead you’ll be able to tailor the new religion to become exactly what you want it to be through the new Reformation interface:
ReformationDD_ReformView.png

You will be able to open and preview this screen at any point while playing an unreformed pagan, allowing you to plan ahead what type of features you want to pick. We’ve also taken this opportunity to make the Bön religion reformable, to provide equal opportunity to the eastern Pagans.
ReformationDD_FeaturePicker.png

There are three different types of ‘slots’ to be filled in, the Nature, Doctrine and Leadership of the religion. The default selection will be thematically chosen depending on what faith you’re reforming - though there’s nothing stopping you from picking wildly divergent features, such as a Pacifistic Nature for the Germanic religion.

While most features will be available to all pagan religions, they will all have one unique doctrine that only they can pick. This is to enhance the differences between the various unreformed pagan faiths. The Germanic special feature will, for example, contain Seafaring and Prepared Invasions - something the other religions must spend two doctrine slots to get.

The possibilities with reformation are near endless, you’ll be able to make a religion that suits your specific needs. For example, if you’re surrounded by other religions (very common if playing Zun or Bön for example) the Cosmopolitan Nature would be advised, as then you can intermarry with your neighbors to create non-aggression pacts. If you’re tired of the Abrahamic religions and their incessant Crusades, you can adopt a Warmongering Nature combined with a Bloodthirsty Gods doctrine to really show them what you think of their weak rituals.

As there’s too many features for us to bring up right now, I’ll save them for a future Dev Diary. Worth noting is that several of the Doctrines you can choose will contain special events and decisions tied to them, so even if you’ve already played a game once where you reform a Pagan faith - you might just want to play another one, to see what could have been different.

To round off, here’s a few of our favorite reformation setups from us in the Dev Team:

ReformationDD_ReformViewRageair.png

Starting off with my own choice, I’m all about creating chaos - and there’s no greater way to achieve that than to promote not only close-kin marriage, but also harems on top of that! Once during a multiplayer with the Dev Team I managed to reform the religion most of us was playing into something similar to this. They were confused when their children started marrying each other, to say the least!

ReformationDD_ReformViewSnowcrystal.png

@Snow Crystal I like playing tall, so I like boosts that let me control who the Heir is, as well as making sure the heir is as popular as possible. I can't stand having a Religious Head that tells me what to do, and think Autocephalous is pretty cool. I don't really care about spreading my faith outside of my borders - if anything, I’d prefer everything outside my borders to be heathenous, so that I get more of a challenge!

ReformationDD_ReformViewSilfae.jpg

@Silfae Usually upon reforming, my dynasty ends up alone against a world of infidels. The quickest way to spread the faith when in those circumstances is through military action, hence the need for a Warmongering Nature. Picking the Astrology Doctrine unlocks the Zodiac traits for my characters, giving them various attribute boosts, while Haruspicy can help me influence the morale of my armies (for better or worse). Furthermore, since Astrology and Haruspicy are synergistic Doctrines, by combining them I gain access to additional perks that would have otherwise been out of reach for me... as well as ending up with an extremely superstitious religion.

ReformationDD-CJ.JPG

@Tuscany One of my favorite reformation combinations is mixing 'Bloodthirsty Gods’ and ‘Haruspicy'. Being able to sacrifice people to your gods and get rewarded for it is great fun, and when combined with Haruspicy (the art of reading an animal's entrails to predict the future) you can even cut apart your prisoners and see whether you will be lucky in future wars. Of course I pick ‘Temporal’ to allow me to rule over all of this as the conduit between god and man, and ‘Peaceful’ because non-violence is obviously the best strategy.

• 1Like
Reactions:
beeing able to roleplay while reforming religion?
Such an awsome idea, reforming faith where (IMHO) not that intresting and the mechanics of converting to a pre-reformed faith where a lot more intresting, now however it looks so fun and gives pagans even more replayability,
Thanks devs this is awsome, can't wait for this to be added in :)

That's totally great!

Only a question: could you add the possibility of choose a regnal name during coronation, and also when you change your religion?
If i'm Muhammad of Egypt and I convert to Christianity, let's say I would like to be known from then on like Peter ( sorry dunno how to translate in Arabic)

I think I hear the guy responsible for the Converter scream in Lithuanian.

If only we could Reform already-organized faiths too... :D

This is where Ecumenical Councils would be nice: you start with a strong faith, sometimes the Pope or Emperor calls up a Council, and if you manage to play your game right and make these councils succeed, then you can further buff it. Seeing as Christians are supposed to be about Diplomacy, this would fit in well I think.
This could also work well with heresies: a movement appears to institute a dogma, the Pope crushes on it, and the movement turns into a Heresy.

Can we know more about the beliefs that are going to be available to choose, please :)

Also if there are 3000 possible combinations I suppose that the maths are 6(Nature, kind of)*x(Doctrines)*3(Leadership, kind of)=3000 which would mean that there should be 166 doctrines to choose. But I could be wrong, I am quite bad at maths.

Nature * doctrine * (doctrine-1) * leadership

There are two doctrine slots. If there are 6 natures and three leadership types, then you're looking at a much more sensible 13 or so doctrines.

Can we know more about the beliefs that are going to be available to choose, please :)

Also if there are 3000 possible combinations I suppose that the maths are 6(Nature, kind of)*x(Doctrines)*3(Leadership, kind of)=3000 which would mean that there should be 166 doctrines to choose. But I could be wrong, I am quite bad at maths.
You choose two doctrines, not one.

Nature * doctrine * (doctrine-1) * leadership

There are two doctrine slots. If there are 6 natures and three leadership types, then you're looking at a much more sensible 13 or so doctrines.
Doctrines aren't order dependent, so it'd be (num of doctrines) choose 2.

Holy Fury will not touch heresies, but the new scripting commands that have been added to make the Pagan Reformation work should be usable by modders to make events/decisions around changing the features of an existing religion.
A shame, as this system feels like it opens up a lot of interesting options for dynamic heresies. It could go a long way to alleviate the bland "Old <something>" heresies for reformed pagans etc. Would it be possible for modders to use this system to also spawn a new heresy?

Will existing reformed religions already have their Nature, Doctrines and Leadership spelled out, and if so will these be amendable via Council or some other decision ? If not, could this be modded in ?

Shouldn't there be some boundaries for combinations? Like forbid to have peaceful religion with bloodthirsty Gods?

Holy Fury will not touch heresies, but the new scripting commands that have been added to make the Pagan Reformation work should be usable by modders to make events/decisions around changing the features of an existing religion.
Would be really fun if there was a game rule to give any heresies of a reformed/organized religion random doctrines (and maybe nature/leadership as well).

A shame, as this system feels like it opens up a lot of interesting options for dynamic heresies. It could go a long way to alleviate the bland "Old <something>" heresies for reformed pagans etc. Would it be possible for modders to use this system to also spawn a new heresy?
Any religion (heresy, reformed version, etc.) still needs to be defined in common/religions, as usual. The script commands that Reformation will add to the modding toolset will allow you to modify the features of a religion (such as making it pacifist, or changing the stance that the AI has regarding converting infidels).

Will existing reformed religions already have their Nature, Doctrines and Leadership spelled out, and if so will these be amendable via Council or some other decision ? If not, could this be modded in ?
The features of an unreformed religion are still defined within the religion itself. Reforming is the only way to change your religion, although it should definitely be possible to add council decisions that change an unreformed religion's features via modding. Features are not cumulative, so, for example, if you are Norse Pagan and reform as a Pacifist, you will no longer have the warlike bonus that the unreformed religion had, as you would get the ones that Pacifism brings.

Shouldn't there be some boundaries for combinations? Like forbid to have peaceful religion with bloodthirsty Gods?
There are indeed combinations of Doctrines that are incompatible (and therefore cannot be picked together), just like there are combinations of Doctrines that are synergic (and give additional effects when picked together).