• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #78 - Polishing up the Map

Greetings!

We’re working away, and we’ve been working away for quite some time now - it’s just much too early to go into detail on what we’re doing yet, but rest assured that we have a lot of interesting stuff going on!

Without spoiling the theme of the upcoming expansion, we want to give you something to look at and discuss. In addition to all the theme-specific features we’re making, we’re also slowly working our way through some of the more neglected areas of the map, correcting mistakes and increasing the granularity of the playing field. Here’s one such area, Poland:
Poland_update.png

Code:
- Map Update to Poland
    - General overhaul to the De Jure territory of the Kingdom of Poland
    - Vistula (major) river tweaked to be more geographically accurate
    - (Minor) river Oder tweaked for more geographical accuracy
    - (Minor) rivers Warta and Bug added
    - 6 new provinces, mostly improving granularity in Mazovia and Lesser Poland
    - All old provinces moved and reshaped for more consistency
    - Some updated provincial Coats of Arms

Later this spring (date yet TBD) we’ll release a bug-fixing patch, so remember to head over to the bug forums and report any issues you find.

Please note that the time between Dev Diaries will be irregular, as we’re very early in the development cycle.

Can't promise anything, as map reworks are somewhat time consuming and moving stuff around in Germany/France is a bit tricky (because if you move one thing, it means you have to move 10 others, basically).

However if you have good references, map & general documentation from the CK2 timeline (so not a map from the XVIIth century, for example), feel free to PM links to me ; I'll take a look and see if we can squeeze some improvements in, but again, *no guarantee*.

Arthur
I dare say the geography haven't changed. Atleast not much. Towns are usually in the same place rivers too and distances between as well. Now which towns are important have changed but believe me when I say Hannover has never been north of Hamburg.

Thank you for returning with another diary, it has been a while and it is always nice to hear a few words from the team! Poland looks a lot better wit the overhaul, and an additional patch to fix bugs is always welcome. :)

However, even if you are not planning on adding provinces, an update on the coat of arms of the duchies would be really great. Most the current coats of arms for the counties and duchies ingame are based on the dynasties that ruled there at the time, rather than the lands themselves. The duchies ingame are based on the real life "Provinces" of Ireland, and the coat of arms / flags used here are contemporary to CK2, and would be much more appropriate. Some of them are very similar to ingame ones - Munster is v similar to Sweden, Leinster is the harp but on a green background. Ulster is v similar if not identical to what is currently there. Connacht and Meath would need to be changed however.

If you would like any historical details on borders, coats of arms, dynasties, please let me know if you would like me to PM you!

Sure, feel free to PM me with as much details as you wish. As always, I can't guarantee anything, but if time permits, some changes aren't out of the question. It also really depends on the scope, because just adding one province is already considerably more work than updating a few coats of arms for example !

But yeah, feel free to PM and I'll take a look

Arthur

These revisions look great. Finally I can form the de jure duchy of Greater Poland without feeling a constant sense of irritation at the shape of Lubusz and how it really looks like it should be part of Silesia.

Any chance we could get a duchy map? Are these just new counties inside the existing duchies, or are we getting any new duchies too (including changes to areas outside of Poland)?

Most of the German speaking provinces of the HRE (so today Germany, Austria and Switzerland) could seriously need some polishing, rework and tweaking. Most provinces there haven't been changed since CK II was released and are basically leftovers of CK I. Bohemia (and to a lesser degree the Low Countries) might need some extra attention too, though relatively speaking, it's more urgent for the German speaking provinces.
German only? Italy is a mess.

Poland looks nice, well done! but I am a bit worried about Bohemia and Moravia. What I can see is that Hradec and Praha/Prague looks weird and too small and it doesn´t really fit with the rivers, it´s inaccurate. Also, it looks like there is only one duchy (no bold border between Moravia and Bohemia?)
That´s my suggestion, but I can´t wait for more info and updates! :)
@[Arthur-PDX]

Last edited:
So, bugfixing patch 2.9 and expansion patch 3.0?

Finally, that map before was horrible.
@rageair I hope you are also changing the towns (baronies) names. It is even more horrible. The worst example are Lubusz and Szczecin counties, they share three (!) towns - Cedynia, Pyrzyce and Myślibórz. Lubusz has them in Polish, Szczecin in german with Cedynia in Latin for some reason. To add insult to injury, Pyrzyce in Lubusz is written with typo. Also I think at least one town should be actually in old Brenna province by looking at the map. There are many such cases in entire Polish region and some other slavic/baltic provinces near it. This was really done by someone with no historical or graphical knowledge at all. I hope that person was fired.
I started to add polish (and some pommeranian/bohemian) counties/baronies names to the landed_titles.txt, where I should post/send them so you could add them in incoming patch? Could you also send me final landed_titles.txt, so I could update it to new provinces and towns which will be added in next patch? I already see things needing change, one province is called "Nowa Marchia". Pommeranians or Poles wouldn't call their land using german term.

Adding on to this, the city of Dioclea is not in the county or duchy of Dioclea.

And thanks for the update! Excited to see what comes next

Please redo the Balkans. They need more provinces. Plus it would be nice to have 1 or 2 more cultures in the region. Maybe Bosnian or Albanian for later start dates?

IMO map still needs some changes. So, here is a map of historical regions of Poland.

reg_hist_2.jpg

1. Chełmno/Ziemia Chełmińska should be north-west to the Dobrzyń/Ziemia Dobrzyńska (and border Vistula to the south), not north-east.
2. Kujawy are too long. It shouldn't border Sandomierz but Sieradz/Łęczyca to the south-east.
3. Wrocław is part of Dolny Śląsk, so maybe it will be better to rename the province "Dolny Śląsk" to, I don't know, Legnica?

are we getting any new duchies too (including changes to areas outside of Poland)?
Nope, all the new provinces are part of the already existing duchies, and the "logic"/shape of the duchies hasn't changed to much. I guess the only duchy that looks somewhat different now is Kuyavia (which contains Dobrzyn, Kujawy, Sieradz & Wielun)

What I can see is that Hradec and Praha/Prague looks weird and too small and it doesn´t really fit with the rivers, it´s inaccurate
Bohemia didn't undergo a "large update" like Poland did, but more of minor tweaking. I actually struggled to find interesting, detailed AND historically relevant maps of Bohemia (it was often just shown as one big "Bohemia" blob :/), so if you have anything that fits all three criteria, feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can do something

Also, it looks like there is only one duchy (no bold border between Moravia and Bohemia?)
Duchies in Bohemia haven't been touched, Bohemia & Moravia are still there like before

IMO map still needs some changes. So, here is a map of historical regions of Poland.
That's actually one of the map I used :D While your arguments are all valid, it's a bit more tricky that just pasting the map in Photoshop and painting over it, and a few things are a bit wonkier than the others because of Gameplay/Level Design constraints, basically

Arthur

Can't promise anything, as map reworks are somewhat time consuming and moving stuff around in Germany/France is a bit tricky (because if you move one thing, it means you have to move 10 others, basically).
Aside from some of the messed up provinces, there is also simple stuff like the Main river being too far south. Take a look where it meets the Rhine and through which cities it flows and you immediately see the error.

Though this could also be related to the counties. It's possible that all those extra counties in the south are pushing the provinces it's supposed to go to too far north

Last edited:
Bohemia didn't undergo a "large update" like Poland did, but more of minor tweaking. I actually struggled to find interesting, detailed AND historically relevant maps of Bohemia (it was often just shown as one big "Bohemia" blob :/), so if you have anything that fits all three criteria, feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can do something
This:
But, you don't really need a historically accurate map to see that Hradec Králové is not a part of Moravia, or Znojmo is a part of Austria. Or the fact that the map looks terrible in its current state. @[Arthur-PDX]

Attachments

• 158161_14896_Ceske_kralovstvi.jpg
    158161_14896_Ceske_kralovstvi.jpg
    182,3 KB · Views: 315
  • Země_Koruny_české.jpg
    Země_Koruny_české.jpg
    1,1 MB · Views: 309
  • HRE_MAP.png
    HRE_MAP.png
    4,3 MB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Greetings!

@rageair

Hi! Can we have a fleshed out Imperial Government System for Byzantium/Rome? A more proper Theme system with county level assets? Marches?

Vice-royalty improvements? Conclave rework?! Seduction and Secret Society balancing and sanity rework?

Can 'free_revoke' of baronies, counties, duchies and kingdoms, be added to mod-ability for modding the Laws?
Currently they can only be added under Government type, even if you set counties to be vice-royalties, revoking them is full tyranny cost.

I found this if it helps you. This one is really detailed and from 11/12th century. I think Leitmeritz/Litomerice is too big, Prague small and Elbe/Labe too South so it makes Leitmeritz bigger.
@[Arthur-PDX]

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180129-172145.png
    Screenshot_20180129-172145.png
    1 MB · Views: 331