• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #65: Along the Silk Road

Greetings!

Today I’d like to talk about one of the features that we’ve decided to improve and overhaul - the Silk Road. The Silk Road was introduced in the Horse Lords expansion and, while profitable, was very annoying to manage and fickle in its behaviour. As the Silk Road is essential in modeling the importance of China, it will also be unlocked by owning Jade Dragon. Owners of Horse Lords will receive all improvements we’re making, of course.

More often than not, the Silk Road was consciously ignored by players as it was too much of a hassle to manage. You used to compete with everyone for where to build your trade posts - not just with other realms, but with your own vassals. Another problem was that the Silk Road was way too easy to cut off - 100 men looting Dunhuang would completely cut off trade downstream, which wasn’t very realistic at all. With limited routes the trade usually had nowhere to go, and it was not uncommon to see the road completely blocked off if both origin points were under siege.

The Silk Road has received plenty of new routes - based on various historical records, such as those made by Arab traders, Radhanite Jewish merchants and the Chinese themselves. It’ll be very hard to cut it off entirely, as there’s plenty of paths for the trade to take!
Silk Road Basic Outline.png

The Silk Road origin points are now north of Tibet, southern Tibet and via the ocean to southern India.

The new vision we have for the Silk Road is one where you want to control (and fight over) specific counties along the Silk Road, where Trade Posts can always be constructed. These ‘hot-spots’ are placed in various counties with historical precedent along the road itself - i.e. Khotan, Kashgar, Debul, Merv, and even counties as far away as Jerusalem, Antioch and Alexandria. We currently have 51 Trade Post locations spread across the Silk Road.
TradePosts.png

The Trade mapmode now shows icons for Trade Posts, so you can at a glance tell where they can be built.

The value of the Silk Road depends on many factors, such as raids, occupations and the current attitude of China. Raids and occupations will no longer instantly cut off the Silk Road, instead they will decrease the value that travels downstream by a certain percentage - 10% for any county being under siege (i.e. raiders) and 25% for any occupied county. This means that, while the the Silk Road still has a dynamic and interesting value, it’s never arbitrarily cut off by a few raiders.
Raiding.png

You can now easily spot where hostilities are occurring along the Silk Road.

It will generally always be better to control Trade Posts further up the road itself - Trade Posts located further down the road are more susceptible to raiders and occupations, as the trade has to travel through more counties to get there. It’s far from useless though, as a Trade Post working at 50% efficiency still produces a LOT of wealth.
dynamicallyColoredRoad.png

In this screenshot you can see that a war in Bengal is choking the Silk Road passing through eastern and central India. There are also notable conflicts in the northern Steppe route, as well as minor conflicts in Egypt, Persia and Iraq.

Trade Posts now work similarly to hospitals - whoever holds the county controls the Trade Post (this doesn’t apply to Merchant Republics, who work like they’ve always had, even on the Silk Road). This means that you will want to hold as many Silk Road Trade Post counties as you can in your personal demesne. This makes it more fun to play as a vassal, as your liege can’t steal your Silk Road Trade Post slot just because you weren’t fast enough to build it first!

Silk Road Trade Posts are worth a lot of money, and they used to be destroyed first by besieging enemy armies even if there were other holdings in the county that were not yet sieged. This has been changed - they are still destroyed when occupied, but are now sieged last. This means that you can protect them with castles and forts, again improving the experience for whoever builds one. It’s now much less of a risk to build the various buildings Silk Road Trade Posts now contain.

The attitude of China might affect the value of the Silk Road - Plagues, Unrest, Invasions, Civil War and Famines decrease it, while Golden Ages increase it! Sometimes, China might decide to close down the Silk Road and turn inwards, though if you’re powerful enough - militarily or by controlling enough counties on the Silk Road - you just might be able to force them to open right back up...

All in all - it should now feel much more rewarding to control the Silk Road and the Trade Posts it contains. You will actively want to seek out and control the Silk Road, and keep it safe from raiders.
Socotra.png

The Emir of Socotra, with a Silk Road Trade Post in his demesne.

I feel that Constantinople has been cheated out of its rightful place on the Silk Road:

"From Merv, a variety of trade routes led to the Mediterranean via Baghdad to Damascus or Antioch or Constantinople (Istanbul), and to Trebizond (Trabzon) on the Black Sea." (Frances Wood, The Silk Road)

"The main trade route extended for 4,000 miles from the city of Xian in China to Constantinople in Turkey." (Muhamad Olimat, China & the Middle East: From Silk Road to Arab Spring)

"It is common to think that the western terminus of the Silk Road was Rome in Italy. The narrator intones as much at the end of each film in the 30-part NTK/CCTV series, and the final scene of that sprawling epic shows the “expedition” arriving at the Roman Coliseum. Indeed Rome must have been an important destination for Chinese silk during the first two or three centuries of the Silk Road (perhaps to ca. 200 CE), but for a much longer time, beginning in the fourth century, the “Rome” to which all roads led in the Mediterranean world was “Eastern Rome” or Constantinople. Even in its long centuries of decline down to its conquest by the Ottoman Turks in 1453, the wealth of the city was legendary, and its location ensured it a role in the trade with the East." (Daniel Waugh, 'Constantinople/Istanbul', The Silk Road)

NB: I am not the stereotypical ERE fanatic on these forums; I've never played them in any PDX game. But when I saw that Silk Road map, something looked odd. My understanding was that the strength of the Silk Road trade had a major effect on Byzantine prosperity or poverty.

EDIT: As well as complaining, I should say that this looks like a really effective overhaul of the Silk Road by the devs. A shiny new feature might have seemed like a better marketing prospect, but they have instead worked on a feature that was functioning but not to the level that they expected. That's a really positive decision.

Last edited:
You know, with all the "I only play in Europe and therefore hate this DLC" nonsense going around, I'd just like to say that, as someone who plays in India, Central Asia, and Persia on a pretty frequent basis, I'm very excited about this DLC.

There is a sea route that goes directly around Sri Lanka.

I was referring to the route north of Sri Lanka, which only is connected to the mystical realm of Cathay through Tibet in the screenshots.

But when I saw that Silk Road map, something looked odd. My understanding was that the strength of the Silk Road trade had a major effect on Byzantine prosperity or poverty.
As I recall there was some kind of decision about it. Constantinopole, they said, was a big, tech-great and developed province, if you add Silk Road to it it became a lot better.
But I do agree, and every time I mod trade I do add Constantinopole to silk road.

You know, with all the "I only play in Europe and therefore hate this DLC" nonsense going around, I'd just like to say that, as someone who plays in India, Central Asia, and Persia on a pretty frequent basis, I'm very excited about this DLC.

Actually, there are only two complaining posts here, and both by the same user IIRC. And as usual, such a complainer makes himself the representative of a group of player. I almost always plan in Europe and I'm happy about this DLC.

Actually, there are only two complaining posts here, and both by the same user IIRC. And as usual, such a complainer makes himself the representative of a group of player. I almost always plan in Europe and I'm happy about this DLC.

It's been worse in previous dev diaries, especially in #64. I wasn't referring to this thread alone.

As I recall there was some kind of decision about it. Constantinopole, they said, was a big, tech-great and developed province, if you add Silk Road to it it became a lot better.
But I do agree, and every time I mod trade I do add Constantinopole to silk road.

I can understand that the ERE can sometimes be an OP blob, so you don't want the capital to be too strong. But I imagine that having everything dependent on one city is supposed to be the special experience of playing as the ERE, and the Silk Road only adds to that. And they could always remove a holding slot or two for balance (although I think the roads ending in Egypt, Syria/Palestine, and Trebizond will already strengthen the ERE's main enemies).

Is the 10%/25% decrease in trade value relative to the value in the origin or to the actual value in the county, so do 4 occupied counties mean that the trade value downstream is 0% or ~30%?

I'm wondering - wil the profitability of the silk road contribute to China's own prosperity? If so, can we somehow engineer a very powerful China that would thwart or at the very east delay the Mongol invasion?

ooooh? I thought in some of the Streams it was said that the Top liege automatically controlled the trade posts now, but this DD implies the change is more about whoever has the Trade post in their Demense gets it.

I'd personally like to see the silk road expanded all the way to France, England, Spain, etc.

That, or at least see a dynamic trade system, as the years go on, the silk road expands, and moves farther west at key dates. So that during the last stages of the game, you have the classic trade routes along the north of france, Denmark, etc. through the English channel, and along Sweden, etc, as well as through all the Mediterranean.
CK2+ has you covered there. The only thing you'll miss is the achievements.

I can understand that the ERE can sometimes be an OP blob, so you don't want the capital to be too strong. But I imagine that having everything dependent on one city is supposed to be the special experience of playing as the ERE, and the Silk Road only adds to that. And they could always remove a holding slot or two for balance (although I think the roads ending in Egypt, Syria/Palestine, and Trebizond will already strengthen the ERE's main enemies).
I like this actually... I hope seeing the Seljuk Empire pushing into Anatolia :)

I think it could be nice to add a kind of extensions in the Mediterranean Sea, maybe only manageable by Merchant Republics ( Like Venice or Genoa did in real history)

I think it could be nice to add a kind of extensions in the Mediterranean Sea, maybe only manageable by Merchant Republics ( Like Venice or Genoa did in real history)
I'm not sure. Are you offering to allow merchant republics to build trade posts in Mediterranean? It's revolutionary idea! :)
Actually, there is one more thing about Silk Road. In main Europe we have a lot of cities (with markets) and trade republics that build trade posts. But vast majority of Silk Road comes through nomadic and tribal lands without nice targets to raid, so it's a source of gold for nomads and tribal.
That's actually why it's added in nomadic expansion.

I know about that roads, of course, I even done mods with Amber and Vargarian routes. But was their cash flow on par with Silk Road?
(Also, for cultural impact - compare Silk Road wiki page and, for instance, Via Imperii one. ;))
The Via Regia passed through my city and I didn't know about it. And we've all heard about the Silk Route, that gives you an idea of how known they are.

The ability to play as Buddhist should also be considered "essential" in this expansion

We do need a definitive statement from the devs on this (not necessarily in this thread, but at the point of purchase). I understand and support the fact that you need RoI to play Buddhists. But if they market JD as a Tibetan expansion, people are going to be unhappy if they can't play most Tibetans. It's been suggested (I think by @JP5243) that the best way forward would be to make any Monastic Feudal ruler playable. So you could play any Tibetan, but you couldn't play a Buddhist in Khotan or Pali. That seems a reasonable compromise.

This gives me great hope we might be able to conquer China. They have also stated that they can't say anything about invading china yet. This means they probably are debating it, or seeing how feasible it is to add the feature.

If people are still going to be able to complete the Khan of Khan achievement it would only make sense. Very excited for the upcoming DLC.

The attitude of China might affect the value of the Silk Road - Plagues, Unrest, Invasions, Civil War and Famines decrease it, while Golden Ages increase it! Sometimes, China might decide to close down the Silk Road and turn inwards, though if you’re powerful enough - militarily or by controlling enough counties on the Silk Road - you just might be able to force them to open right back up...