• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #62: News from China

Greetings!

Last week I talked about how we’re adding China to the world of Crusader Kings II without actually extending the map any farther. When you are playing in the Orient, you would be wise to remember the “Divine Land” to the east. Indeed, from time to time, you will be getting tidings about the situation in China so that you can plan accordingly. China has a Status and a Policy. The latter rarely changes except when a new emperor ascends to the Dragon Throne (or when the Western Governorate either wins or loses a major war.) By far the most common Policy is “Open”, which means it’s business as usual; China is open to trade and the Silk Road is active. Moreover, the emperor is interested in maintaining the tributary system and in conducting diplomacy with the barbarian periphery. However, some Chinese administrations favor a “Closed” Policy. At such times, the Silk Road will be shut down and the emperor will not deal with foreign rulers. Neither will China attempt any form of military adventures beyond its borders. Lastly, and most rarely, China may adopt an “Expansionist” Policy. This is a time of great peril for rulers near the Chinese border, who would be well advised to swallow their pride and kowtow to the emperor, accepting tributary status before the Western Governorate is expanded with extreme force...

DDJurchens.png

Chinese Policy should be seen as a political stance, but China also has a “Status”, which is beyond the emperor’s control. For example, China can be struck by famine, plague, unrest, Civil Wars and invasions by Mongols and Jurchens, and it can also sometimes experience a “Golden Age”. All of these states have an impact on China’s behavior and on the Silk Road. For example, if China suffers from famine, income from the Silk Road is drastically lowered, and players should watch out for the conclusion to a Chinese Civil War or Altaic invasion; it is not unheard of for a displaced dynasty or losing faction to seek refuge in the West… More on that in a later dev diary. I believe that will do it for today. Next week we’ll go into details about how you interact with China and what’s in it for you!

Lastly, and most rarely, China may adopt an “Expansionist” Policy.

Would China conquer the whole Mongolia (then, the Mongol Invasion will never happen after that)?

Finally! No more "when will you make China DLC?" threads!

Will a similar system be integrated into Sunset Invasion for the Aztecs? I'd love that so much

I can already see this coming: "The Emperor of the Aztecs likes: sacrifices". I would certainly like a rework of sunset invasion like that though.

This is the most mouth-watering dev diary I've seen in a long time, even better than when we first saw hints of secret religions! :D

(Here's hoping this turns out better than M&M/2.7...)

Good.The emperor has changed his hat.

Errr,it was Song Qinzong(or "Zhao Qinzong") when Jurchens invaded.Look here.

does chinese history follow a historical, a semi-historical or a random path? or can you choose between these three?

In the previous dev diary one of them said that, as with most of CK2, after the game start history goes out the window for China.

Is China a paid feature, or a free feature? Or are certain aspects paid but others free?

China stuff is part of the DLC content.

Tibet stuff is part of the patch from what I understand (though you may need DLC to play the different non-Christian religions and such).

Does "disabling" the Silk Road include only this traderoute, or any?
Because quite a few mods add additional traderoutes, and it wouldn't make sense if they'd get shut down as well... I hope you keep that in mind :)

Apart from this concern, sounds great!

I hope that we will get slavic portraits with this DLC too...

I'm personally hoping that the Chinese portraits are included with the DLC while the Tibetan ones are paired with Non-Russian Slavic ones in a new content pack...

Seems like it'd be the logical way to go at it.

EDIT: Well damn, had forgotten they didn't really do separate content packs anymore. Bit less certain we'll get a third portrait pack now.

I'm personally hoping that the Chinese portraits are included with the DLC while the Tibetan ones are paired with Non-Russian Slavic ones in a new content pack...

Seems like it'd be the logical way to go at it.
Someone pour this guy some wine. That's a fine idea!

Either there's gonna be many, many and varied events coming along that interface or this DLC (or what we've heard about it so far) could use some meat.

The expansion is looking lovely indeed! I hope they bring in a couple of new Societies and Artifacts as well!

Honestly, there probably still will be. Because there are people (myself included) who want to play in/as China. Either conquering it, or uniting it and then expanding as it.
But quite frankly, these threads would then be utterly pointless.
I am all on your side, I would prefer to have all of the Old World playable, but it is now obvious that Paradox won't do this.
And I'm fine with how their compromise is shaping out, it's the best we can and will get - before CK3 ;)

Either there's gonna be many, many and varied events coming along that interface or this DLC (or what we've heard about it so far) could use some meat.
Given that we have seen like zero interaction with China until now (apart from tributaries, fine), and since the last sentence promises excactly that for the next dev diary, I am quite optimistic ^^

This DLC seems to be fun, but plz pdx it MUST include polygamy for tibetan females !!!!!!!!!
Certainly you mean polyandry?