• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #59: Publishing CK2

Hi everyone! I’m Gustav “Gruffa” Groth, Product Manager on CK2. First, a disclaimer: This is not your regular dev diary as I’m not a developer, I work in publishing. However, as most of the dev team is on vacation, I’ll do my best to fill the gap. :)

I won’t reveal any changes to the game in this dev diary, because I think that’s best explained by the devs themselves. Instead, I’ll try to give you some insight into what the publishing side of Paradox does for CK2.

I officially took over the Product Manager role shortly after we released Monks & Mystics. I’d been standing in for the previous PM during the expansion release, and I’m a big fan of the game (current campaign: Zunbil, 769 start, HIP mod) so I couldn’t be happier to work with it! So here I am.

As Product Manager, I’m ultimately responsible for making sure that we provide our fans with the best CK2 products possible. This wouldn’t be possible without the hard work of a number of people from different departments at Paradox. I thought the best way to explain how all us publishing folks contribute, I’d walk you through a somewhat simplified version of the publishing process. This process can vary from project to project, depending on its size (whole game or DLC). The one described below is specific to CK2 expansions.

The core decision-making point for a product at the publishing wing is the Product Team. It meets bi-weekly and consists of the Game Director, Project Lead, Product Marketing Manager and myself, the PM. This is where the initial decision on whether or not to start development of the next expansion is made.

Three things are needed for an expansion (and associated updates) to happen; a design, a dev team and a profitable business case. Without all of these factors in place, development would cease. Luckily for CK2 and its fans, there’s been no shortage in any of them for more than five years!

If the Game Director (Doomdark) is confident in their design, we begin to investigate the potential business case. First, we evaluate whether or not the proposed expansion is something that will be appreciated by you guys, the players. While I trust the judgment of DoomDark and the dev team, I make sure to take time to read your feedback on the forum and elsewhere. As for playing the game myself, that solves itself since it’s something I happily do on my free time. In addition to our own experiences and your feedback, we also use additional analytics tools, provided by our very talented analytics team! These tools help us understand player behavior, and see statistics on start dates, mod usage and many other useful metrics.

When we all think that this expansion is something that you guys would like, the Project Lead (Anona) makes an estimate of the work needed to make it reality. This helps PDS evaluate whether or not the needed staff is available and it’s also used by me to calculate development costs.

The next step is to evaluate the business case. There’s more to this than just having projected revenues be higher than costs. Could the staff at both PDS and Publishing be put to work more efficiently elsewhere? Is the timing right? Does the expected release date coincide with other product releases? The latter situation can be both detrimental and beneficial, but I won’t go deeper into detail about that.

If we decide that the business case is sound, I make sure that I have an approved budget from management and to everyone’s joy, development can start!

This is where the fun begins! That is to say, for everyone else. During the first months of development is usually when I have the least to do, other than follow up on issues brought up during Product Team meetings. Me being the “suit”, my way of helping is usually increasing the budget, pushing the release date, or both.

During this early stage of development, marketing starts planning their efforts. There’s a lot that goes into this; there’s advertising, planning events, social media presence, trailer production, setting up store pages on Steam and Paradox Plaza, producing streams, negotiating promotion deals with retailers and much much more. Suffice to say our marketing department is a big (but lean) machine consisting of people with a large variety of skillsets, coupled with a passion for the games we make. Today, Crusader Kings is an old and well established brand, so marketing can manage most things on their own without input from the rest of the product team. Although some things will always require input from all parties involved, such as expansion name and trailer script.

During the middle months, there’s lots of communication between departments, prioritization and handling of issues and opportunities as they come up, all the while keeping a close eye on budget and your discussions and impressions of dev diaries.

As we close in on a release-ready build, marketing efforts ramp up. This is a hectic time for everyone involved, as the dev team puts their best effort in killing bugs, marketing activities happen almost daily and planning for the next expansion begins in earnest. On release day, all involved hands are on deck here on the publishing floor to ensure everything goes smooth. I can’t do much myself but nervously monitor player feedback and sales figures.

After release, while the dev team is working on hotfixes and patches, we do follow-up. We give feedback to each other on what went well… and not so well. I prepare a short report on the sales and player numbers which is presented to the entire company at our next Monthly News session in the kitchen. There we also share what we learned from the project to the next organization, so we don’t make (too many of) the same mistakes again.

So, that was a short summary of the CK2 expansion publishing process. I hope it was somewhat interesting to get a look at how we do things in publishing, and that it was an alright substitute for the regular dev diaries. I thought I’d leave you with a fun fact: CK2 set a new record number of Monthly Active Users (MAU) with the release of Monks & Mystics, the all time high happening on March 19th. Not bad for 5+ year old game! We’re lucky to have such passionate and dedicated fans!

I’ll stay around in the thread to answer as many questions as possible, or just to chat with you guys!
//Gustav

Last edited:
Are you also part of the decision making team which decides when the game/DLCs are going to be on sale? Could you give us some glimpse of what all factors go into deciding to put games and DLCs on sale?

I have noticed that for the past 2 DLC release cycles, PI has decided to bundle DLCs of CKII/EU4 and then EU4/HoI4 with a 10% discount. Has it led to an appreciable increase in players of one game purchasing DLCs and base game of the other series in the bundled offer?

I personally found this a very interesting diary to read, since it sounds so similar to what I do myself in my corporate life. I always wondered about the business side of videogames. I know I never had and never will have the talent to be a dev, but I'm good at business and while I like my current job dealing with different grades of plastic granulates ... it doesn't inspire the same passion a product like CK2 or EU4 does.

So when the day comes that CKii ceases to receive updates we can all blame you? ;)

Are you also part of the decision making team which decides when the game/DLCs are going to be on sale? Could you give us some glimpse of what all factors go into deciding to put games and DLCs on sale?

I have noticed that for the past 2 DLC release cycles, PI has decided to bundle DLCs of CKII/EU4 and then EU4/HoI4 with a 10% discount. Has it led to an appreciable increase in players of one game purchasing DLCs and base game of the other series in the bundled offer?

I can have a say about sales and discounts, but the partner management (i.e. sales) team in the marketing department can and do run that pretty much on their own. Bundles are also one of their areas of expertise. Usually, initiatives associated with discounts or bundles usually come from them and are run past the product team before implementation.

So far the new 2 DLC + 2 base games bundle seems to work pretty well, and that's about all I can say about that. :)

I personally found this a very interesting diary to read, since it sounds so similar to what I do myself in my corporate life. I always wondered about the business side of videogames. I know I never had and never will have the talent to be a dev, but I'm good at business and while I like my current job dealing with different grades of plastic granulates ... it doesn't inspire the same passion a product like CK2 or EU4 does.

We're always on the lookout for people who can do business and have a passion for games!
giphy.gif

So when the day comes that CKii ceases to receive updates we can all blame you? ;)

I'll be 100% fine with you blaming me, because hopefully something else that you enjoy comes out of that decision. :p

Overall, I'm very happy that we have mods that add a bunch of great content to our games. There's certainly a lot of effort behind them. As stated in my original post, I'm currently playing with the HIP mod, and it's great!

We know that Paradox outsources a few of its production pipeline, such as translation, to outside contractors. I wonder, since mods are so appreciated by the Paradox staff in terms of how much they increase replayability, extend product lifeshelf and add to the overall enjoyment of the game, if the structure ever considered using them far more liberally, as contractors, in the vanilla game to beef up content in areas of the game that, due to shifting priorities in game development, might have not become as good as you guys think it should be?

I did post a preliminary proposal on the previous Dev Diary, and I was wondering your own personal opinion on it:

It is truly fantastic to see Paradox using so many of our forum members as contractors to deliver content outside of the company's scope.

But I wonder if the company has ever considered a combination of the two; while Content Designers usually work on delivering content as the development of the DLC is underway, a while after, development focus forces the team to devote their effort on fixing things or developing content for upcoming DLCs or features, leaving whatever was created for past patches or DLCs untouched for the most part, until there is a drive, for some reason, to rework content.

I fill there might be a spot for a new position, that could have immense added value; Namely a Content Designer Contractor. After the DLC is out, and the programming base is well established and solid, Paradox could very well expand the contractor positions to abovementioned post, for developing flavour content, decisions and events, that is in line with the latest patch or DLC focus. It would have the benefit of potentially employing aspiring or established modders in contractor positions, on lower-than-employee rates, to give more content meat to every single patch and DLC à posteriori. Paradox could have a position that would liason with established modders, seeing if - after the patch/DLC was out and running - those modders would have ideas on interesting events, decisions, flavour, etc. using underlying mechanics, to develop those for the company. The ideas would have to come with a ETA, provided by the Content Designer Contractor, which would then have to pass through the the Game Director, Designer, and the Project Lead before it would be greenlit for development and a contract sign.

If the Secondary Content Designer would deliver on the content on schedule, it would go through the necessary Q&A hoops to make sure it didn't break anything, and if the content was approved, the Content Designer would be paid the pre-agreed sum. That way, it would allow for content for previous DLCs to be constantly added to the game, adding to its overall enjoyment.

From your place in the center of the balancing act between budgeting, marketing and development, do you think this might be a good idea to implement?

Hi everyone! I’m Gustav “Gruffa” Groth, Product Manager on CK2. First, a disclaimer: This is not your regular dev diary as I’m not a developer, I work in publishing. However, as most of the dev team is on vacation, I’ll do my best to fill the gap. :)

I won’t reveal any changes to the game in this dev diary, because I think that’s best explained by the devs themselves. Instead, I’ll try to give you some insight into what the publishing side of Paradox does for CK2.

I officially took over the Product Manager role shortly after we released Monks & Mystics. I’d been standing in for the previous PM during the expansion release, and I’m a big fan of the game (current campaign: Zunbil, 769 start, HIP mod) so I couldn’t be happier to work with it! So here I am.

As Product Manager, I’m ultimately responsible for making sure that we provide our fans with the best CK2 products possible. This wouldn’t be possible without the hard work of a number of people from different departments at Paradox. I thought the best way to explain how all us publishing folks contribute, I’d walk you through a somewhat simplified version of the publishing process. This process can vary from project to project, depending on its size (whole game or DLC). The one described below is specific to CK2 expansions.

The core decision-making point for a product at the publishing wing is the Product Team. It meets bi-weekly and consists of the Game Director, Project Lead, Product Marketing Manager and myself, the PM. This is where the initial decision on whether or not to start development of the next expansion is made.

Three things are needed for an expansion (and associated updates) to happen; a design, a dev team and a profitable business case. Without all of these factors in place, development would cease. Luckily for CK2 and its fans, there’s been no shortage in any of them for more than five years!

If the Game Director (Doomdark) is confident in their design, we begin to investigate the potential business case. First, we evaluate whether or not the proposed expansion is something that will be appreciated by you guys, the players. While I trust the judgment of DoomDark and the dev team, I make sure to take time to read your feedback on the forum and elsewhere. As for playing the game myself, that solves itself since it’s something I happily do on my free time. In addition to our own experiences and your feedback, we also use additional analytics tools, provided by our very talented analytics team! These tools help us understand player behavior, and see statistics on start dates, mod usage and many other useful metrics.

When we all think that this expansion is something that you guys would like, the Project Lead (Anona) makes an estimate of the work needed to make it reality. This helps PDS evaluate whether or not the needed staff is available and it’s also used by me to calculate development costs.

The next step is to evaluate the business case. There’s more to this than just having projected revenues be higher than costs. Could the staff at both PDS and Publishing be put to work more efficiently elsewhere? Is the timing right? Does the expected release date coincide with other product releases? The latter situation can be both detrimental and beneficial, but I won’t go deeper into detail about that.

If we decide that the business case is sound, I make sure that I have an approved budget from management and to everyone’s joy, development can start!

This is where the fun begins! That is to say, for everyone else. During the first months of development is usually when I have the least to do, other than follow up on issues brought up during Product Team meetings. Me being the “suit”, my way of helping is usually increasing the budget, pushing the release date, or both.

During this early stage of development, marketing starts planning their efforts. There’s a lot that goes into this; there’s advertising, planning events, social media presence, trailer production, setting up store pages on Steam and Paradox Plaza, producing streams, negotiating promotion deals with retailers and much much more. Suffice to say our marketing department is a big (but lean) machine consisting of people with a large variety of skillsets, coupled with a passion for the games we make. Today, Crusader Kings is an old and well established brand, so marketing can manage most things on their own without input from the rest of the product team. Although some things will always require input from all parties involved, such as expansion name and trailer script.

During the middle months, there’s lots of communication between departments, prioritization and handling of issues and opportunities as they come up, all the while keeping a close eye on budget and your discussions and impressions of dev diaries.

As we close in on a release-ready build, marketing efforts ramp up. This is a hectic time for everyone involved, as the dev team puts their best effort in killing bugs, marketing activities happen almost daily and planning for the next expansion begins in earnest. On release day, all involved hands are on deck here on the publishing floor to ensure everything goes smooth. I can’t do much myself but nervously monitor player feedback and sales figures.

After release, while the dev team is working on hotfixes and patches, we do follow-up. We give feedback to each other on what went well… and not so well. I prepare a short report on the sales and player numbers which is presented to the entire company at our next Monthly News session in the kitchen. There we also share what we learned from the project to the next organization, so we don’t make (too many of) the same mistakes again.

So, that was a short summary of the CK2 expansion publishing process. I hope it was somewhat interesting to get a look at how we do things in publishing, and that it was an alright substitute for the regular dev diaries. I thought I’d leave you with a fun fact: CK2 set a new record number of Monthly Active Users (MAU) with the release of Monks & Mystics, the all time high happening on March 19th. Not bad for 5+ year old game! We’re lucky to have such passionate and dedicated fans!

I’ll stay around in the thread to answer as many questions as possible, or just to chat with you guys!
//Gustav

Can you guys track which characters are the most commonly played?

I would assume that would be a motivator in targeting areas for DLC.

I'm really enjoying the Dev-diaries that tell us a bit more about how things are actually done. It's a nice break and actually teaches us something interesting.

Is it Dev-diaries, Dev diaries, Dev Diary's or something else? They all feel wrong.

Can you guys track which characters are the most commonly played?

I would assume that would be a motivator in targeting areas for DLC.

I just think it would be interesting to know who the most played character is.

Wait, wait, wait - do you mean that your developers and your marketers actually work together and get along? What kind of crazy parallel dimension is Paradox in? :)

Hi, Gustav. Thanks for sharing. That was one of the most interesting DDs ever, and the novelty of the subject is most refreshing.

I also think it was a good decision to give us a sneak peek into the company's project kitchen, along with business and marketing. It's probably going to be good for communication in the long run -- you obviously must have been in the gaming world long enough to have witnessed how business and marketing tends to collect blame for certain things, just like QA/QC departments are blamed disproportionately if something slips through. Bringing 'the suits' and marketing folks, not just the devs, closer to the player base should make this harder.

Next, I would like to join in on the observation CatilinamSum made at #23. In fact, I was already going to say or ask something similar anyway, before I saw him broach the subject. It's good to hear you guys are 'data-informed, not data-driven', as you put it. I agree one can't really avoid going with one's gut feeling. But what steps do you take to prevent the intuition from becoming disconnected, particularly in the case of, shall we say, more potentially disruptive or controversial ideas?

Next, would you care to shed some more light on the qualitative data?

What I'm still interested in, in the context of one particular detail CS brought up, do you guys account for the possibility of delayed impact on purchasing decisions, for good or bad?

What kind of inference do you folks draw from statistics showing people buying all DLCs and then keeping them all on when playing?

I'll give you my own purchasing rationale as an example: Because of wanting the full/perfect experience and not having a very tight budget, I've always bought practically all of the DLCs. Dissatisfaction with the various individual things changed, added or removed in the various patches ever since Feb 2012 has not and will not change this decision about CK2 DLCs. However, it will very much influence my decision about whether I want to even get started with CK3, considering my experience with the post-release development of CK2. And to be honest with you it will be a negative influence and I'll probably end up skipping CK3 until perhaps there's eventually a stable version with no risk of being made a worse game by a content/balancing patch (or neither worse nor better but simply different, just having to relearn some mechanics). But if you tried to read the stats from my Steam account or in-game, you'll see 3500 hours, all DLCs bought bar one or two, all of them always on bar one or two etc., so you would have no clue, no hint whatsoever. In fact, you would probably conclude I was almost sure to buy CK3 on preorder. And I don't really see polls about subjects like this. So where do you get the information from, for the deeper thinking?

Regarding the process, I'd like to call attention to how QA/QC can be more of a business factor than initially meets the eye. It kind of always catches up with the company and affects everything indirectly through affecting reputation and relationships. It has the tendency to look like a big painful on the costs-of-production side (I work in a creative industry, so I would know; used to be in the gaming industry before as a journalist, as well as programming and designing for other purpose), as it can, like, double the hours worked on the project (as it does in my line of work). Hence it can be extremely hard to justify as a business need beforehand (versus cost economy), but it can prevent entire maelstroms of bad consequences in retrospect. It can also make the tiny critical bit of difference for customers's future choices that is hard to predict. In this context, my observation is that the DLCs and patches may indeed sometimes lack testing, but the problem seems to lie with design/blueboard QA (let's not get into details but integration/big-picture awareness and consistency seems to be the biggest problem). Have you guys thought about putting designs, ideas and concepts through more QA/QC, not just the execution? And thus expecting the designers to more rigorously think about and plan for at least all of the most important/typical situations in which a mechanic will apply, not just a general, fuzzy sketch? (I often find myself thinking this part in particular tends to get skipped.) A stitch (or dollar) in time saves nine!

Congrats on the MAU record!