• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #55: Nurture vs Nuisance

Hello everyone!

Yes folks, it’s time to answer that age old question: can human behavior be nurtured, or is it too much of a nuisance? Educating children in CK2 is a powerful tool to sculpt your future character and supporting cast, but it can also become a bit of nuisance, at least if you have Conclave. This issue has been on my radar for awhile, but we finally got around to addressing it with a three pronged assault. First, since children don’t actually need an assigned Guardian or a set Childhood or Education Focus, we added a Game Rule controlling when you get Education Alerts; for all children, your close relatives, or just your own character and your primary heir. Secondly, there really isn’t any reason why you should not be able to assign a Guardian for children below the age of 6 - it’s just annoying to have to wait for a specific birthday. So... now you can. Lastly, and probably most significantly, being the default “Educator” for all children at court means you can get spammed with a lot of upbringing events concerning kids you don’t care about. Thus, we added a new “Honorary Title” called Teacher. The Court Teacher becomes the default Educator for all kids at court that don’t have a specific Guardian (so you can still make yourself the Guardian for two kids you care about and get their upbringing events, for example.) Together, these changes make upbringing far less of a hassle.

Education Alerts.png

Teacher Title.png

But enough about that; time to say a few words about the next patch! We’ve been keeping a close eye on your feedback and have decided to release an Open Beta patch (probably next week) which should fix the worst outstanding issues and tide you over the summer. The patch should hopefully address most of your concerns. We will not go into full detail for all points now (we’ll save that for when it comes out), but we’re hoping to have solutions for the following issues:
  • Infinite Epidemics
  • Tribal Inheritance Issues (Tribal rulers turning Feudal on succession)
  • AI Pathfinding during Crusades
  • Soul Corruption events appearing for non-Satanists
  • Secret Cult Frequency - For this one we did a lot of testing & balancing, hopefully with the following changes they shouldn’t appear too frequently:
    • When a Secret Religious Cult reveals itself, all members will join in the conversion instead of just the ones in the same realm
    • The AI is now more often unsuccessful in recruiting new members to Secret Religious Cults
    • Priests, Zealous characters and Paranoid characters are now much less likely to join a secret cult
    • Characters accused of Apostasy (with the modifier) can no longer Induce Sympathy, Induct or Invite characters to Secret Cults
    • The cooldown between inviting/inducting characters into Secret Cults increased to 10 years from 5
    • The AI is now less likely to recruit/induct characters into cults if they are in a realm without a player
    • Lowered the maximum amount of members the AI can recruit into Secret Religious Cults to a more modest number (from 370 to 91)
    • Characters in Secret Religious Cults can now only use Prepare Grounds in counties they or their vassals own
    • The AI is now much less inclined to create a secret religious cult just because their liege is a player
That’s all for now! Stay tuned for next week’s dev diary, and be sure to check out the livestream today, starting at 17:00 CET (not 16 this time.)

Last edited:
Useful, I'd say. ;)

But what on Earth is that button to the left of the minimap?

Button is for toggling dragon mode? :)

Quick question: if you have the education game rule set to minimal, but you are yourself the Court Teacher in your liege's court, will you or will you not get education notifiers for the kids you are supposed to teach?

Thank you so much for the planned update and especially the changes to the secret cults!

As for the button... it almost looks to me like a portrait of a chinese dragon...

That button is used to summon Shenron if you have all the Dragon Balls in your Treasury.

Button is for toggling dragon mode? :)

Quick question: if you have the education game rule set to minimal, but you are yourself the Court Teacher in your liege's court, will you or will you not get education notifiers for the kids you are supposed to teach?

You can't assign vassals to the position.

These all sound like good changes. Thanks for the update!

Any word on when diaries will begin for expansion specific features?

I'm thinking after the summer vacations here in Sweden, so, early August.

Soul Corruption events appearing for non-Satanists

They really happen too often and too soon imo, the nerf hammer was swung to heavily at satanists.

When a Secret Religious Cult reveals itself, all members will join in the conversion instead of just the ones in the same realm
The AI is now more often unsuccessful in recruiting new members to Secret Religious Cults

Part of me wants to disagree with this questioning if it is actually going to make them more widespread?

• Priests, Zealous characters and Paranoid characters are now much less likely to join a secret cult
  • Characters accused of Apostasy (with the modifier) can no longer Induce Sympathy, Induct or Invite characters to Secret Cults

These are good changes.

The AI is now much less inclined to create a secret religious cult just because their liege is a player

I would like to point out that the AI needs programming weights added for the decision to "Openly Adopt Faith." Specifically in regards to if that AI has a player liege of the same secret religion or in the society. There are still instances where you the player during a succession lose control of the secret society to an AI under you.

Now if your rebuttal is well you have to line up all the marbles that's what this game is about, and that this is emergent storytelling I would fully accept these arguments.

But it is still not illogical to think that a secret religious cult leader would ask his also secret cult liege if it was a good idea to come out from hiding.

Part of me wants to disagree with this questioning if it is actually going to make them more widespread?
My thinking is that the difference is that now when the society reveals itself and empties the process of getting enough members from recruiting people starts again with new people instead of existing members being able to instantly fill the society up again.