• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #34: Facts about Artifacts, Real talk about Relics

Hello all, it’s been a while, but it’s my turn to write a Dev Diary again! Today I’m going to tell you about the Treasury system we’re adding in 2.7. This system itself is part of the free patch. However, a lot of the content for it is part of Monks and Mystics.

The Treasury is where characters store their items, such as weapons, artifacts, or holy relics. In many ways items are much like Character Modifiers which you are likely already familiar with, but Character Modifiers are a fairly limited and not entirely clear system. With the new Treasury system we have greater control over how they work and when they are active as well as more UI space to display and explain them. Not only that, this system allows items to be inheritable and stealable.

We hope that seeing your character’s items as physical object rather than just a number on their character sheet will offer greater immersion, especially for player who like to focus on role-playing. Sure, in the past you could find a nice axe to increase your personal combat skill, but it was just another number - now you’ll see a gleaming axe, ready to hew the limbs from your foes!
artifacts_example_isolated.png

this is not quite final artwork, but it should be similar to what we end up with

As an example, say your Character has found the Holy Grail - you will now see the Grail in your Treasury with a picture and a description as well as the effects of owning it. Further, if some Norseman comes along and raids your castle, there’s a chance that he’ll make off with your precious Grail - however, since he’s not a Christian your most holy relic is nothing more than a fancy cup to him.

As mentioned, items are also inheritable, they all go to a character’s primary heir. In the event someone dies without an heir, the items will pass to their liege if they have one, but they have a chance of being lost in the process. If an independant character dies without heirs, their items are lost - although if time permits we have talked about them having a chance to be snapped up by powerful vassals.

For 2.7 we’re converting several character modifiers into items, such as the +1 axe you might find while raiding, the saint’s bones you might find on a pilgrimage, or the trophy you made from the skull of your rival. With Monks and Mystics we’re adding a lot more, such as:
  • Commissioning swords from skilled smiths.
  • Buying fabulous Crown Jewels.
  • Hunting for Holy Artifacts.
As well as the items you can find or make while playing, we have also added a system to place some Artifacts into character’s Treasuries when a new game is started. These are mostly placed at random to keep things interesting, but there are also a few historical artifacts given to famous characters.
Paradox_CK2_TreasureChamber_big_v02.jpg

Reactions:
Could be really nice, depending on what happens. But please don't start making that generic d&d/Diablo crap with "sword of doom" and "ring of the dragon" kind of stuff. The "masterwork sword" starts leaning in that direction.. in that case, really? Who is this master? Where did he come from? Why do I have his sword? Etc. Unless there is a back story, it risks being superficial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Interesting. Didn't see Treasury coming! But all good - it sounds like it could work very well. Looking forward to the expansion.

Reactions:
Will you be able to aquire Retainers and mounts with this system as well, or is it just items?

Reactions:
Thanks Paradox, I always wanted a glorious collection of various limbs, fingers and skeletons of saints. Who knows - maybe even the Holy Foreskin of Jesus (real thing btw)?

Reactions:
Cool idea! Two questions:
Is there a limit to how much stuff you can have in your treasury?
Can you sell your stuff?

Reactions:
Most awesome!

[minor nitpick]
Weren't we supposed to get a dd about specific societies?

Reactions:
Sounds really good.
Not only that, this system allows items to be inheritable
So were modifiers like the holy relic.:p

Also will character modifiers still exist?
As mentioned, items are also inheritable, they all go to a character’s primary heir.
They always all go to the primary heir? Even with gavelkind? Because that would seem to eventually lead to a huge stacking of e.g. holy relics---especially if you get them more frequently than now. You can already end up with many of them as is.
Commissioning swords from skilled smiths.
Can swords break or will you have it for all eternity (assuming nobody nicks it)?
And can you have as many as you like?
Buying fabulous Crown Jewels.
So they give any boni? Prestige perhaps?
And can they be melted down in times of need?

Reactions:
Great! Will it be possible to sell your precious heirloom in case of dire need? Also, it’s great chance to introduce coronation, and as a result character gets a crown.

P.S. Also, nitpicking here, but I hope plate armor is available in late middle ages; before that mail is preferable since aforementioned was not developed yet.

Last edited:
Reactions:
ha! I feauture I longed for so long, I actually almost forgot it :)

Reactions:
Reactions: