• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary# 22: Quarantining the bugs

Hello all, it’s time for another CK2 development diary. We’re still working on making 2.6.2, and while of course there’s some bugfixing going on, for the most part we’re just adding bonus content. Which is fun!

We are working in a strict priority order, so naturally the first thing to be added was more pet events:
catdog1.png

With the vital stuff out of the way, we moved on to more of The Reaper’s Due’s core focus, mortality and death:
yay bodies.png

We’ve also added some new game rules, such as making regular illnesses less common if desired, keeping prisoners in jail after torture, or disabling titles being named after dynasties or changing due to the culture of the holder.

There’s not much else to show at the moment, but there’ll be more next week. For something else to talk about now, I can reveal some of the new statistics data we’ve been getting about RD and the gamerules.

Of the 50,000 players in the last 24 hours:
90-95% of RD players are using the new Death sounds and have ingame sound on.
96% of players allow the AI to use the Intrigue focus.
92.6% of players allow the AI to use the Seduction focus.
93% of players have kept assassination plot only.
84% of players have Defensive pacts on.
76.3% of players have Shattered Retreat on.

Right now I can only see the numbers for default settings or not, but that will change as our stats people make newer and fancier graphs, and these seem like the most interesting stats for now. Next week, more new 2.6.2 content news!

Reactions:
Reactions:
But will the option to keep them in jail post torture disable achievements?
Setting regular diseases to less common, and keeping prisoners after torture will disable cheevos.

Cheevos = achievements, sorry if that was unclear.

The AI doesn't actually have a plan for prisoners, it just periodically picks something to do to them. It could be torture, release, or it could be torture, torture, torture.

Reactions:
Any events for people finding it weird/magical that their ruler is 368 years old?

Also, I hope there's an option to stab Death in the eye as soon as s/he sits at the table.

Very ahistorical, but very DiscWorld-ish : The chance to teach Death how to play Bridge....

...which, to me, means that 76.3% of players don't play with modifying the standard rules for whatever reason (don't know they can, don't know they can and still do ironman for achievements, etc.).
It is ridiculous that this post got so many downvotes.
It is not a secret that default settings are the most used settings in games. The majority of people never bother with changing them.
I bet most of the 76% would just as happily play with both SR and DP off. Which would proof that it wasn't necessary to begin with.

Reactions:
The AI doesn't actually have a plan for prisoners, it just periodically picks something to do to them. It could be torture, release, or it could be torture, torture, torture.
I have finally found a quote to put in my signature.

Reactions:
I bet most of the 76% would just as happily play with both SR and DP off. Which would proof that it wasn't necessary to begin with.
So you imply that there is zero chance at all that 76% of people likes those two?

Reactions:
We’ve also added some new game rules, such as making regular illnesses less common if desired, keeping prisoners in jail after torture, or disabling titles being named after dynasties or changing due to the culture of the holder.
- please, make additional setting for supernatural events - turn off SoA Demon Child and RD Eternal Life. The only reason why i did not turned off supernaturals is that it currently turn offs ALL events that are thought to be supernatural by our characters but at the same time could be reasonable explained from PLAYER perspective, im talking about events that are triggered by character madnes ( insert_name gives you advice, werewolfs, Cthulhu etc ) or could be explained by ignorance of medieval folks ( hell hole ).

Gamesmaster is a good one, but there are a few less expected branches - I would rather let you discover them for yourselves though :)
- will you be able to beat death to death with a chessboard if you are strong and wroth?:rolleyes:

Reactions:
It is ridiculous that this post got so many downvotes.
It is not a secret that default settings are the most used settings in games. The majority of people never bother with changing them.

It got disagreements because it drew an unevidenced conclusion that everyone who picked the default rule did so with no knowledge, and that they would change it "if only they knew like I do!!!!!" All it proves is that 24% of people like ping-ponging for sure. The remaining 76%? Maybe some are default always that would like ping-ponging more, maybe some are default always that would prefer shattered retreat if they considered it, maybe some are consciously preferring shattered retreat to ping-pong (like me).

The why is simply not in evidence and pretending otherwise is what drew disagreement.

So let's be clear: It didn't get disagreements because SOME people might fall into that category of picking the default -- no one disagrees that some people change no settings. That wasn't the assessment being rejected.

Reactions:
It got disagreements because it drew an unevidenced conclusion that everyone who picked the default rule did so with no knowledge, and that they would change it "if only they knew like I do!!!!!" All it proves is that 24% of people like ping-ponging for sure. The remaining 76%? Maybe some are default always that would like ping-ponging more, maybe some are default always that would prefer shattered retreat if they considered it, maybe some are consciously preferring shattered retreat to ping-pong (like me).

The why is simply not in evidence and pretending otherwise is what drew disagreement.

So let's be clear: It didn't get disagreements because SOME people might fall into that category of picking the default -- no one disagrees that some people change no settings. That wasn't the assessment being rejected.
- can you provide evidences for your words thou?

So you imply that there is zero chance at all that 76% of people likes those two?

EDIT:
Yes, I think that indeed.
It is highly unlikely that all 76% like it. Like I said, the fact that it is default influences that number heavily.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I'm sorry to disturb you, but let me show you a point of view from an amateur (400+ hours) concerning shattered retreat.
At the beginning of playing CKII the "catch me if you can"-battles really get on my nerves. But I adapted to this after some period of time. (pause,click,pause,click....)
Then when SR was implemented, I firstly hated the mechanic. But again, after some time I get used to it.
And now you have the possibility to decide if you want to play with the "catch me if you can" -or "hit and run"-mechanic.
I get used to SR, so I kept it in the settings.

The only thing I've changed in my settings is "plague" to "historic". And nevertheless, grim reaper is really outgoing and unfriendly in my games ;)

Reactions:
Death looked long and hard at the board. The abbot waited to see what long-term, devious strategies were being evolved. Then his opponent tapped a piece with a bony finger.
"Remind me again," he said, "how the little horse-shaped ones move."

Reactions:
@Darkrenown

Since you have even commented on whether or nor a hilarious button should be added, I guess it's not asking much for an answer on my previous question, which is:

Do you guys have plans to add anything to the game rules that will make empire management a little harder ? Options such as vassal limit changes, Pre-ROI factions system, factions firing when they actually have a chance to win a rebellion etc.

After all, as you can see, my concerns have also been mentioned by others in the Comprehensive Community Issue List: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...prehensive-community-issue-list.917246/unread

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Hello all, it’s time for another CK2 development diary. We’re still working on making 2.6.2, and while of course there’s some bugfixing going on, for the most part we’re just adding bonus content. Which is fun!

We are working in a strict priority order, so naturally the first thing to be added was more pet events:
View attachment 204656

With the vital stuff out of the way, we moved on to more of The Reaper’s Due’s core focus, mortality and death:
View attachment 204657

There’s not much else to show at the moment, but there’ll be more next week. For something else to talk about now, I can reveal some of the new statistics data we’ve been getting about RD and the gamerules.

Of the 50,000 players in the last 24 hours:
90-95% of RD players are using the new Death sounds and have ingame sound on.
96% of players allow the AI to use the Intrigue focus.
92.6% of players allow the AI to use the Seduction focus.
93% of players have kept assassination plot only.
84% of players have Defensive pacts on.
76.3% of players have Shattered Retreat on.

Right now I can only see the numbers for default settings or not, but that will change as our stats people make newer and fancier graphs, and these seem like the most interesting stats for now. Next week, more new 2.6.2 content news!

Any plans at tuning gameplay?

Asturias and Abyssinia?

Reactions:
Yknow from a purely statistical perspective it IS highly unlikely that all 76% of the people like it.
The original claim was all were doing it solely they didn't alter the default rules or, to use the same wording as you, that all 76% didn't like it which statistically speaking is also highly unlikely.

I presume the people arguing realized how absurd it was and tried to shift goal posts then claim it was the other side doing what they were.

Reactions:
The original claim was all were doing it solely they didn't alter the default rules or, to use the same wording as you, that all 76% didn't like it which statistically speaking is also highly unlikely.

I presume the people arguing realized how absurd it was and tried to shift goal posts then claim it was the other side doing what they were.

Technically, at this point both 'sides' have implied/stated the 76% feel 100% one way or the other but I just realized how asinine this tangent is and I'm going to leave now.

Reactions:
Yeah, my wording was off there.