• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #15: Assorted cool things

Hello all, it’s time for another DD about <Secret DLC> and interesting 2.6 patch things! I am pre-writing this DD to be posted while I am on vacation, so I may or may not show up to answer questions when it goes live. Anyway, “today” I want to reveal a few cool but unrelated features and fixes we’ve made.

Let’s start with some rather old complaints! Flanders is now part of k_france. Wow! And on the subject of France, the AI king of France will no longer create the Kingdom of Aquitaine unless they are close to meeting the requirements of creating the empire of Francia. Barcelona and Trier are also in more logical places.

A little pet peeve I’ve had since playing Conclave was that the fact someone owes you a favor is a bit hard to see, so there is now an icon on a character’s portrait if they owe you one.

Speaking of favors, Muslims will be able to force Decadent relatives to shape up using favors now too.

Players with Horse Lords may have been annoyed at the number of clicks needed to pillage a holding, so instead of needing to continually decide to pillage, the decision is now a toggle rather than an action. Once you decide to pillage, buildings will be destroyed periodically until either the player decides to stop or the holding is destroyed. You can simultaneously pillage multiple holders per province too. The revolt risk has also been capped at 30% while the revolt size has been made more sensible (larger!).

Speaking of Nomads, when a non-nomadic realm conquers an empty province from a horde, the province now gains some revolt risk from Nomad Agitation. This effect remains until the nomads are pacified, either by constructing a Castle or City, or if Tribal by constructing at least 2 buildings. If a province has not been pacified upon succession it will break away and spawn a new Nomadic ruler.

And on the subject of Horse Lord things, the Silk Road has been extended by adding a new branch from Lut - passing through Rayy and Tabriz - to Trebizond, and the southern part of the Silk Road has been updated to also pass through Dhofar, Socotra, Busaso, and Taizz on the way to Alexandria.

Some new targeted decisions have been added in 2.6/<Secret DLC> too:
  • You may break non-aggression pacts, although this gives you a short truce with the other character.

• You may cancel tributary status of your tribute-payers

• Owners of <Secret DLC> may attempt to recruit prisoners who do not like their liege.

• Owners of <Secret DLC> may ask their vassals individually to end their wars with each other, or force them to do so with a favor. When favors are not used, the vassal may accept or refuse or may accept in exchange for cash or gaining a favor from you. If the aggressor is asked to and agrees to end their war they are also barred from declaring new wars on your other vassals for a time.

• Owners of <Secret DLC> may ask characters who are unlanded and unemployed to leave their court.

• Owners of <Secret DLC> may ask their vassals to return to gavelkind succession, or force them to via a favor.

We have added around 50 new nicknames, here's a selection:
Nicknames.png

These images have been edited to fit together better, names are still in the regular places ingame

Another old annoyance, characters in the character finder now have icons to indicate if they will or will not move to your court, and another to show they are outside of Diplomatic Range:
finder.jpg

A final neat thing, we have added a Continue button on the Launcher to load directly into your latest savegame.

These are not all the cool things we have added, of course, but it’s a nice selection for now I think. Next week I will still be on vacation, but I have pre-prepared another DD about torture and executions!

Reactions:
And my dream is to be able to exclude characters who are in a queue for inheriting a landed title.
So much this. Though being able to ask them to be gavelkind does alleviate it to a large degree.
Nothing more annoying than giving a newly conquered duchy to somebody and then discover 10 years later that he suddenly is due to inherit three additional duchies due to a string of "accidental" deaths.
That many options would make the window horrendously complex and cluttered. I often just type stuff like "cont ju budi" = content, just, Budimirovic (my dynasty), and use the appropriate buttons.
Is a workaround, but I too would prefer the character searcher to be more complex. Perhaps have two versions. A simple one like the current one and a heavy duty one with all those options for when you really need to get in depth.

Reactions:
Hello all, it’s time for another DD about <Secret DLC> and interesting 2.6 patch things! I am pre-writing this DD to be posted while I am on vacation, so I may or may not show up to answer questions when it goes live. Anyway, “today” I want to reveal a few cool but unrelated features and fixes we’ve made.

Let’s start with some rather old complaints! Flanders is now part of k_france. Wow! And on the subject of France, the AI king of France will no longer create the Kingdom of Aquitaine unless they are close to meeting the requirements of creating the empire of Francia. Barcelona and Trier are also in more logical places.
Does that mean the "Frisian Coast is Long" achievement will be removed?

The revolt risk has also been capped at 30% while the revolt size has been made more sensible (larger!).
How is "larger" more sensible? A lot of revolt armies seem to be larger than the player's entire army already.

Speaking of Nomads, when a non-nomadic realm conquers an empty province from a horde, the province now gains some revolt risk from Nomad Agitation. This effect remains until the nomads are pacified, either by constructing a Castle or City, or if Tribal by constructing at least 2 buildings. If a province has not been pacified upon succession it will break away and spawn a new Nomadic ruler.
This seems quite expensive and time-consuming. So even less playability in Russia.

Reactions:
That many options would make the window horrendously complex and cluttered. I often just type stuff like "cont ju budi" = content, just, Budimirovic (my dynasty), and use the appropriate buttons.
Oh wow, I have been unaware that you can write there multiple things. Now it is not that bad for me.
As for the search window, there could be a hideable tab for traits.

Why should it be removed?
Darkrenown said that "Flanders is now part of k_france." Flanders was previously part of k_frisia.
I think the only buff the general peasant revolt. The already very strong liberation revolts stay them same I guess.[/QUOTE]
I sure hope it's only the peasants. I'm sick of the game repeatedly trying to convince me that the mongols utterly collapsed. from liberation revolts just two years after the invasion of Khwarezmia.

Darkrenown said that "Flanders is now part of k_france." Flanders was previously part of k_frisia.

The achievement is about owning Frisian and the entire north Atlantic coast, from Brittany to Denmark. Flanders is still part of that.

Reactions:
I seem to recall something about forts being capable of getting turned into castles, though I don't know if that was actually the case. But it does lead into a question: will forts work for dealing with nomad agitation? Or at least lowering it. Forts did help with that sort of thing in the old west, at least.

This seems quite expensive and time-consuming. So even less playability in Russia.[/QUOTE]

Could it mean that you upgrade hillfort/market once or use prestige for war camp & practice range for example.

Hardly overtly expensive even for tribal.

We need to add "change way of life favour" or "change focus favour". I got tired of saving and choosing my heir to prevent him getting assassinated or maimed after he seduced half of his vassals' wifes.

Reactions:
That is the reason I only grant barony to my primary heir :D

Then for the sake of your grandchildren's education I hope you're not using Conclave.

Reactions:

Normally when a non-nomad conquers a province with no holdings, such as the ones nomads use, the province changes to the culture and religion of the conqueror. If there is nomadic agitation in a province, how does it know which culture/religion to spawn a revolt as? are there special province flags for every culture nomad? does a nomad khagan spawn with the religion and culture of the conqueror? How is this all determined?

Reactions:
Normally when a non-nomad conquers a province with no holdings, such as the ones nomads use, the province changes to the culture and religion of the conqueror. If there is nomadic agitation in a province, how does it know which culture/religion to spawn a revolt as? are there special province flags for every culture nomad? does a nomad khagan spawn with the religion and culture of the conqueror? How is this all determined?
Good questions. We demand answers. My question also didn't got answered
How does this work when a vassal conquers nomadic realms? When I play as Kiva my vassals are expanding rapidly into nomad land and I can nothing do about that. And now I also get the revolt risk? I am skeptical
Edit: I don't want to sound harsh. I am just thrilled and sceptical of this mechanic

So, this hasn't been addressed and it seems like we're close to release, I'm just going to say it...

This new ability to force vassals to end their wars if you have Late Administration feels like a fix for Conclave, but it's part of the new DLC, not the patch (or, indeed, part of Conclave).

It won't matter to me as I'm buying this DLC for everything else and have gone off Conclave anyway - but this still looks a bit odd. Emphasis on looks, I'm not suggesting the devs are actually doing anything sinister here.

Reactions: