• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #15: Assorted cool things

Hello all, it’s time for another DD about <Secret DLC> and interesting 2.6 patch things! I am pre-writing this DD to be posted while I am on vacation, so I may or may not show up to answer questions when it goes live. Anyway, “today” I want to reveal a few cool but unrelated features and fixes we’ve made.

Let’s start with some rather old complaints! Flanders is now part of k_france. Wow! And on the subject of France, the AI king of France will no longer create the Kingdom of Aquitaine unless they are close to meeting the requirements of creating the empire of Francia. Barcelona and Trier are also in more logical places.

A little pet peeve I’ve had since playing Conclave was that the fact someone owes you a favor is a bit hard to see, so there is now an icon on a character’s portrait if they owe you one.

Speaking of favors, Muslims will be able to force Decadent relatives to shape up using favors now too.

Players with Horse Lords may have been annoyed at the number of clicks needed to pillage a holding, so instead of needing to continually decide to pillage, the decision is now a toggle rather than an action. Once you decide to pillage, buildings will be destroyed periodically until either the player decides to stop or the holding is destroyed. You can simultaneously pillage multiple holders per province too. The revolt risk has also been capped at 30% while the revolt size has been made more sensible (larger!).

Speaking of Nomads, when a non-nomadic realm conquers an empty province from a horde, the province now gains some revolt risk from Nomad Agitation. This effect remains until the nomads are pacified, either by constructing a Castle or City, or if Tribal by constructing at least 2 buildings. If a province has not been pacified upon succession it will break away and spawn a new Nomadic ruler.

And on the subject of Horse Lord things, the Silk Road has been extended by adding a new branch from Lut - passing through Rayy and Tabriz - to Trebizond, and the southern part of the Silk Road has been updated to also pass through Dhofar, Socotra, Busaso, and Taizz on the way to Alexandria.

Some new targeted decisions have been added in 2.6/<Secret DLC> too:
  • You may break non-aggression pacts, although this gives you a short truce with the other character.

• You may cancel tributary status of your tribute-payers

• Owners of <Secret DLC> may attempt to recruit prisoners who do not like their liege.

• Owners of <Secret DLC> may ask their vassals individually to end their wars with each other, or force them to do so with a favor. When favors are not used, the vassal may accept or refuse or may accept in exchange for cash or gaining a favor from you. If the aggressor is asked to and agrees to end their war they are also barred from declaring new wars on your other vassals for a time.

• Owners of <Secret DLC> may ask characters who are unlanded and unemployed to leave their court.

• Owners of <Secret DLC> may ask their vassals to return to gavelkind succession, or force them to via a favor.

We have added around 50 new nicknames, here's a selection:
Nicknames.png

These images have been edited to fit together better, names are still in the regular places ingame

Another old annoyance, characters in the character finder now have icons to indicate if they will or will not move to your court, and another to show they are outside of Diplomatic Range:
finder.jpg

A final neat thing, we have added a Continue button on the Launcher to load directly into your latest savegame.

These are not all the cool things we have added, of course, but it’s a nice selection for now I think. Next week I will still be on vacation, but I have pre-prepared another DD about torture and executions!

Reactions:
Players with Horse Lords may have been annoyed at the number of clicks needed to pillage a holding, so instead of needing to continually decide to pillage, the decision is now a toggle rather than an action. Once you decide to pillage, buildings will be destroyed periodically until either the player decides to stop or the holding is destroyed. You can simultaneously pillage multiple holders per province too. The revolt risk has also been capped at 30% while the revolt size has been made more sensible (larger!).

Does this also fix the fact that you can ruin an entire nomad game by going feudal through an inexplicably awfully placed button right next to pillage?

Reactions:
It's absolutely disgraceful that it's taken you something like three years to move Flanders to the correct de jure kingdom.

Reactions:
We talked about it and may add it if there's time, it's trickier to do.
I have naively hoped for improvements in the search engine at this time, to be able to filter people according to their dynasties and cultures (not like now, just sorting) and most of all, according to their traits. Is that even possible for CK2?

Super cool DD, regardless.

Reactions:
Many nice, some severely needed quality of life improvements. <Secret DLC> is shaping up to be very useful, though moving these pesky courtiers might be better out of the DLC.

We just need another option to get the crowds out of your prisons that's not called blót, but i have a feeling the next DD might speak about that. Hundreds of Muslim women in my prison, no longer!

Reactions:
Let’s start with some rather old complaints! Flanders is now part of k_france. Wow!
I hope this finally solves the 1 day DOW of HRE.
And on the subject of France, the AI king of France will no longer create the Kingdom of Aquitaine unless they are close to meeting the requirements of creating the empire of Francia
Great!
Barcelona and Trier are also in more logical places.
Where are they now. And most importantly when?
A little pet peeve I’ve had since playing Conclave was that the fact someone owes you a favor is a bit hard to see, so there is now an icon on a character’s portrait if they owe you one.
Nice!
Speaking of favors, Muslims will be able to force Decadent relatives to shape up using favors now too.
Nice!
Nice!
Speaking of Nomads, when a non-nomadic realm conquers an empty province from a horde, the province now gains some revolt risk from Nomad Agitation. This effect remains until the nomads are pacified, either by constructing a Castle or City, or if Tribal by constructing at least 2 buildings. If a province has not been pacified upon succession it will break away and spawn a new Nomadic ruler.
Very Nice! No more vanished Nomadic realms.
Do Nomads get also a little buff so they don't lose against count tier feudal realms?
more questions to come...

and most of all, according to their traits. Is that even possible for CK2?
That actually already is possible. In the search bar you write the name of the trait and only people with that trait are shown.

Hundreds of Muslim women in my prison, no longer!
Having a button which ransoms everybody possible and executes everybody else would be nifty indeed. Obviously it would need a checkmark system where you can mark people you want to keep in prison to not be affected by this button. Or perhaps just a checkmark system so that everybody marked gets executed when pressing execute.

Reactions:
Flanders in k_Francis...

Is that a dlc feature? Or is it in the patch?

The gratitude reeks from this one.
When warranted.

It's such a simple thing to fix, it's been complained about fairly regularly since release, and it's a pretty obvious oversight (if you can even call it that) from an historical perspective.

Reactions:
Flanders in k_Francis...

it should be a patch I don't think they keep a de_jure setting DLC specific unless it's a brand new start date.

Speaking of de_jure I assume we can't expect "fixes" to the 1066 and beyond Byzantine set up with Croatia and Sicily being part of the Byzantine Empire?

Reactions:
With them being imprisoned what is the gain though?

I meant if you have imprisoned someone from another realm you can recruit them - at which point they join your court and no longer be in prison :)

It's absolutely disgraceful that it's taken you something like three years to move Flanders to the correct de jure kingdom.

"They're doing what I want, but I really want to complain about something..."

Flanders in k_Francis...

Patch, of course.

Reactions:
Damn it, now I need a new complaint for my signature.:)
Removing Latgale from Polotsk? It's the only thing left after the transfer of Livonia to Finland.

EDIT: Adding Albanians or Crimean Goths maybe?

It was meant to go up earlier, but for some reason it deleted itself instead of posting so I had to come fix it.
Good thing you had a system set up to warn you about it failing then.

Some really nice new features in this.

Reactions:
it should be a patch I don't think they keep a de_jure setting DLC specific unless it's a brand new start date.

Speaking of de_jure I assume we can't expect "fixes" to the 1066 and beyond Byzantine set up with Croatia and Sicily being part of the Byzantine Empire?
It would be nice if Bulgaria, Serbia and Croatia were de jure Carpathia (which could be renamed to Danubia or something, it's ahistorical anyways) but the Byzzie AI still had an incentive to expand there.

Reactions: