• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 - Dev Diary #121 - Court Improvements

Hello! In this dev diary we will present some changes we have made to the court system. Court Management is an important part of the CK2 experience, and currently there are several code pruning mechanisms that curtail court size, making characters die more frequently when the court grows too big. Now court management has been made more interesting by, for example, lowering the aggressive pruning for player courts, creating expenses/benefits associated with a Large Court, court flavored events using the characters of the court, etc. The intention of these changes is to make the system more interactive and interesting.

ck2_15.png

The court limit as shown in the interface.

Your court will now have a size limit depending on your tier, presented in the interface (see picture above). It’s possible to influence this limit by, for example, investing in majesty tech. We have also removed prisoners from the court-tab to make the shown courtiers more relevant.

ck2_18.png

Example of expenses for a big court (can be turned off through a game rule).

To bring life to the courts, we have added some maintenance events that will give your courtiers more of a life behind the scenes, making them more interesting and fun characters by giving them nicknames, modifiers, and skills.

ck2_16.png

Give a courtier a nickname.

We’ve also made sure that any courtier “randomly” picked for generic content is more likely to be someone with good (or at least interesting) skills, a cool minor title, an interesting relationship, etc. This is done by using a scripted score value that takes into account traits, opinions, and modifiers.

We hope that you’ll have fun with this small new feature, and thank you for reading!

Will wonders, in particular the Royal Palace, increase Court size?

And are there any plans to make maids in your court more interactive? ;)

The prisoner/court split is one of the most important parts to make the court feel more alive. It gets tedious navigating your court when the majority of it is composed by prisoners. With additional events even great conquerors and raiders can profit from their court, and that's an excellent change :).

Filling the court with prisoners at least feels better than to head the kill list with all of your characters because they've done some conquering or raiding and you want to keep your court somewhat clean...

As others pointed out, non-adults are currently impossible to remove from your court, unless you start murdering children.
I have actually previously modded a targeted decision to send away children to their parents or just an "orphanage". (spoilers, they die)

While these feature sound entertaining for the player, I'm also curious how well the AI handles these new expenses, I don't want to see someone bankrupt over "court expenses".

Last edited:
Does this allow/is it possible to implement a lock on the court, so it won't be possible for a load of rando's to just turn up? It would be great is we could effectively say "nope, no more courtiers please" (exception family members and invited characters).

true. but that doesn't necessarily mean they will die'll soon; however if they also catch a new every desease every 5 minutes because you have 30+ prisoner means they are more likly to die

Good point !

I hate to be a pedant but shouldn't characters in the oubliette be immune to dungeon diseases?

I mean they are all alone in that bottle dungeon so it's very, VERY unlikely that they will catch any diseases considering the fact that they have zero human contact (that's the point of the oubliette !). OTOH they might not catch dysentery or measles, but they will suffer all sorts of physical and mental illnesses from being made to half stand half sit 24 hours a day and sleep in their own excrement . . .

We’ve also made sure that any courtier “randomly” picked for generic content is more likely to be someone with good (or at least interesting) skills, a cool minor title, an interesting relationship, etc. This is done by using a scripted score value that takes into account traits, opinions, and modifiers.

Does this mean we will be able to put some form of weighting into random_* scopes now?

Does this mean we will be able to put some form of weighting into random_* scopes now?
We've been able to since Patch 3.0. From its patch notes:

• Added Scripted score values similar to scripted triggers and effects. Can be utilized in ai_chance, ai_will_do, random list weighting and anything that utilizes the triggered modifiers to calculate a value.
  • Added "preferred_limit" parameter for "random_" effects like "random_character". Should work for all "random_" effects except "random_quest_target", which is a bit of a mess. Multiple preferred limits can be defined, in addition to the regular "limit". When preferred limits are used, the first one that at least one target fulfills will be used in addition to the limit. If no preferred limit is fulfilled, only the base limit gets used. Very useful for when you want to pick a better target when one is available. Example:
  • random_independent_ruler = { limit = { wealth < 1000 } preferred_limit = { culture = norwegian } preferred_limit = { culture_group = north_germanic } wealth = 1000 } # This would give 1000 gold to a random independent Norwegian with less than 1k gold, if one exists. If none exists, it'll give it to a random independent North Germanic with less than 1k gold. If none exists, it'll give it to a random independent ruler of any culture with less than 1k gold

While these feature sound entertaining for the player, I'm also curious how able is the AI at handling these new expenses, I don't want to see someone bankrupt over "court expenses".

This is mostly a player only feature. AI courts will still be pruned as per old code, but players will be given more choice in the matter.

Yes! This has been in since Holy Fury, and can be very useful! Due to some syntax discussion with coders, it is, however, necessary to write "any_" instead of "random_", because (and I quote our tech lead) "it is the exact opposite of random". But yeah, check out the 00_scripted_score_values file for more info!

A better courtier list would be appreciated. Things like showing religion, maybe even traits or a display mode where family members are grouped together.
Basically I don't want to have to click on a courtier to see who he is or switch to the character finder.

Also, with courts limited in size, can we have tools to control who is allowed into the court? At least have this available for modders, especially the ones with fantasy mods who deal with different races based on traits where its a bit more important who is in the court?

Speaking of modding, do you intend to revisit Great Works to get the converting feature you thought about working or give modders the ability to downgrade or completely destroy them?

Last edited:
Would it be possible to add a feature to allow certain prisoners to be a part of your court?
Say, for example, you have the adult prince of a neighboring kingdom as a prisoner. You could right click on him and, like you would for putting him under house arrest or in the oubliette, select an option to make him attend court (under armed guard, of course) so that he could have a chance to participate in events.
It would probably come with an increased risk of escape, but hey, I think it would be cool.

perhaps make it so you don't inherit the courtiers of titles, maybe? if someone dies without an heir and I, as their liege, inherit their titles back, I really don't want their courtiers. And those are basically stealth courtiers who show up without warning or any indication of when or how many.

If prisoners are no longer counted as your being in your court, will they still show in the character finder as being in your capital?

I like looking at their stats this way when I am deciding who to force marry, release, oubliette, etc.

These really sound like nice changes. I enjoy playing around with my court a lot, so getting some new events and cutting down on the pruning is music to my ears. This definitely seems like a change tailored to how I like to enjoy the game. Events being more likely to fire for people with interesting relationships is also a really nice idea.

Question: I get prisoners no longer counting as part of your court or showing up in that tab, but what about people you've placed under house arrest? Logically, shouldn't they be considered in your court?

I, to, like maintaining a large court. I'd search the world for the best and brightest of my religion and culture and then invite as many single women to marry them off. It was very satisfying, but I hated having to micro everyone's weddings and then I'd have to manage their offspring and that only if they didn't just disappear randomly without my knowing. People should be coming to ME to join my court and should also be more active in managing their own affairs when it comes to marriage and families.

There should also be more stuff for courtiers to do. HIP gives longstanding members of imperial courts special skills like Imperial Guard, Imperial Courtier or Imperial Bureaucrat. I'm thinking having a number of office positions like these that give modifiers based off of courtier skills would be really cool.

On a side note, I really hate how only landed vassals can be commanders in the Byzantine empire now. It means you miss out on using special unlanded characters like Chinese commanders and Joan of Arc and the "Commander Found" event is only useful if you find land for him to use immediately. Personally I think commanders should still be voters but should be open to those within the Imperial Court with a martial skill of 20 or higher.