• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK2 Dev Diary #105 - Clergy Interactions Revamp

Hello, everyone.

Today we will be talking of a nice quality of life update to the interface, AI behavior and some new additional flavor regarding the Papacy (as well as any similar religious head that has access to these interactions, such as a Reformed Pagan High Priest with Hierocratic Leadership).

20181019092639_1.jpg

The patch coming with Holy Fury will place all Papal Actions in a more easily accessible list of icons, right under the portrait of your religious head in the Religion screen.

Furthermore, the behavior for all these actions has been un-hardcoded and fully scripted, so the Pope is now much more sensible when deciding who he wants to Excommunicate, and less restrictive when considering the possibility of granting an Invasion casus belli to an ambitious ruler. More importantly, players are now able to see exactly why their religious head is denying them a request.

The AI logic itself has been considerably expanded and tailored to the various actions.

CatholicClergy1.jpg

Having a vassal Pope no longer ensures that all your demands will be automatically accepted, and having an independent Pope will not make it near-impossible to get a favor from him. The Pope will take into consideration Opinion, Piety, traits, the specific circumstances (such as divorcing an infertile wife), and the amount of controlled Cardinal seats when deciding whether to accept a ruler’s request or not. Piety costs for these interactions have also been rebalanced and tied to the ruler’s tier, making them more accessible to low ranking rulers and costlier to Kings and Emperors.

CatholicClergy2.jpg

The Request Claim interaction has been given a special new interface as well to make it more intuitive and accessible to players. Rather than having to search directly for the title that you wish to gain a claim on, you can use the new button in the religious view to get a list of potential Catholic rulers owning titles for which the Pope is willing to grant you a claim on. By clicking on any of them, you will be shown a second window showing the list of all titles owned by the target ruler and from there you can select the one that you are interested in.

20180824084127_1.jpg

Finally, if you are Excommunicated, the Issue Declaration of Repentance decision has been revamped so that it is no longer simply a cash payment.

Much like when requesting a coronation, the Pope will now pick one out of several possible demands for the player to fulfill in exchange for the lifting of his excommunication. Requests can range from a show of contrition causing Prestige loss, to changing your realm laws, to give one of your sons to the Church.

Also, bonus Cardinal clothes, pre and post 1245:

Cardinals preview.jpg

Will there be a mechanic that allows rulers to ignore the Pope's demands and thus open themselves up to Papal interdicts? Or maybe Popes exercising the right to release a vassal from its obligations to their liege (basically free independence CB)?

Last edited:
Does the AI know to use these mechanics? In other words, does the AI request invasions and try to get people excommunicated? Are we told if a third party tries to get us excommunicated or asks for an invasion?

Also, has "request money from pope" been tied to the pope's income instead of the requester's income? I've been unable to use it because my income was too high in the past.

I'm not familiar with the converter or EU4, so I'm afraid I cannot answer these.

No, Temporal Heads do not get these interactions as a way to balance the Leadership type.

Fylkir, Tietaja, Pontifex Maximus. The titles are not changed based on Leadership.

The Myrmidons.
If the leader of Hellenic is female will she be called Pontiex Maximus?

If the pope aks for your son. Do you have to give THAT specific son or can you choose yourself a son. Also when you have a reformed pagan enatic hierocratic religion or even equality as doctrine, can you get asked for daughters

I would say that is more of a random chance. Christian and Hellenics of Iberian/Italian/Roman culture are set to be more likely to shave their beards in general.

Thank you for your answer, Silfae! I want to follow up, and ask about your point to do with the Iberians, Italians, and Romans. Specifically, are these cultures given around fourteen different beard and mustache styles, and given additional clean-shaven slots, more than the usual single one, as seen in the Create A Ruler function? Also, are Iberians to retain their pre-existing facial hair styles, and get new shaved slots? Currently, Iberians get fourteen facial hair styles, and one clean shaven category in there, on the 15/15 spot for beards. I am hoping that this does not mean reducing facial hair chances for them by deleting some of the Iberian styles, but instead, adding some new spots for the clean-shaven.

Could we know what reasons for divorce does the system contemplate? :)
The biggest modifiers include: consanguinuity, infidelity, infertility (it checks for children, naturally, the Pope doesn't know the actual fertility score of your spouse), blasphemous behavior (open witch/satanist/heathen).
Will there be a mechanic that allows rulers to ignore the Pope's demands and thus open themselves up to Papal interdicts?
No.
Does the AI know to use these mechanics? In other words, does the AI request invasions and try to get people excommunicated? Are we told if a third party tries to get us excommunicated or asks for an invasion?
Yes, AI will use it on occasion and players are notified when action is taken against them.

Also, has "request money from pope" been tied to the pope's income instead of the requester's income? I've been unable to use it because my income was too high in the past.
No, money requests are still tied to the ruler's income. Higher tier rulers spend more piety to get more money and viceversa.

If the pope aks for your son. Do you have to give THAT specific son or can you choose yourself a son. Also when you have a reformed pagan enatic hierocratic religion or even equality as doctrine, can you get asked for daughters
A valid child is selected randomly by the Pope, so the ruler has no choice if more are available.
There is no gender lock: the Pope might ask for a daughter to become a nun.

The biggest modifiers include: consanguinuity, infidelity, infertility (it checks for children, naturally, the Pope doesn't know the actual fertility score of your spouse), blasphemous behavior (open witch/satanist/heathen).
Good. Does consnguinity only apply to Close relatives or does it apply to more distant relatives like it was historically. Also, does the text when granted a Divorce change according to the reason for it or will it, as it does now, refer to consanguinity always? That could be more immersive.

What about antipopes? They work as before? For a long time now i wish you could choose obedience like in history - for example as a ruler of Castille recognize French antipope in Avignon as a true pope. Now a ruler can only create his own antipope or be loyal to Rome. It's boring and immersion breaking.

Last edited:
This is great. So this is player able excommunicated as a Temporal religious head? Currently, playing as the Yazidi Sheikh potential way for a player to be able to excommunicate someone.

If not, or gives a great reason to pick Hierocratic rather than Temporal.

This is great. So this is player able excommunicated as a Temporal religious head? Currently, playing as the Yazidi Sheikh potential way for a player to be able to excommunicate someone.

If not, or gives a great reason to pick Hierocratic rather than Temporal.

Go to the top and hit the link that says "Show only Dev responses" to see them. Because I am a giver, here is what Silfae already said.

Divorces, Excommunications, Grant Claim and Request Invasion are all available for Hierocratic and Autocephalous Leadership. Only Ask Money is exclusive to the Papacy.

So, no, temporal leadership does not get these interactions.

Zunist = Dastur
Slavic = Chernoban
Tengri = Tengrikut

Yes, this is on start, and she has 5000 Piety.

I'm curious where you got Chernoban from. I'm not entirely sure on the meaning of the word, but I am positive "cherno" is black and it makes the whole name come across as a bit odd to me.

Good. Does consnguinity only apply to Close relatives or does it apply to more distant relatives like it was historically. Also, does the text when granted a Divorce change according to the reason for it or will it, as it does now, refer to consanguinity always? That could be more immersive.
No change to the notification as of now, though that is something that could be done.
As for consanguinity, there are two modifiers, one for far relatives (25) and one for close relatives (40).