• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK Console DD #4: Tech Optimization & PS Exclusive Features

Howdy all!

Today is the day for our Crusader Kings III release on Next-Gen Consoles! We are very excited and hope you are as well. Once again, our friends over at Lab42 have brought us some wisdom and insight into the process of how the game was created to reflect the performance standards for Xbox Series X|S and Playstation 5.

Our team in Stockholm is hard at work on the next steps of the PC version and with gathering and taking action on the feedback we have received thus far. Hopefully we will have more information on that side of things for the near future! In the meantime, this Dev Diary is for Console news.

Today, our Dev Diary will cover technical optimizations as well as console specific features for the Playstation 5. Hopefully this provides some useful information and brings further excitement to your day!

Without further ado:

Technical Optimization and PS Exclusive Features:

The adaptation to console brings some natural technical optimisation that comes directly from the features of the current gen consoles. This includes quick loading, which is a welcome feature for Crusader Kings on console. Despite the latest consoles being powerful we still had to be wary of performance so our game held up and was an example of how things should be. As your kingdom grows you end up with a lot of “widgets” in play, so we made sure to focus on optimizing performance and UI flow to keep the game, and the gameplay, running as smoothly as possible. To get certified on consoles is definitely a challenge: quality is very important to our Partners and they are very exacting!

Game Help & Activities have been utilized on Playstation 5 to assist with on-boarding and signposting for users in game. CK3 is not a linear mission based game, so the inclusion of Activities was not a straightforward implementation but something that was considered to be beneficial for the overall user experience. The use of Haptic feedback from the PS5 DualSense™ controller was implemented to add immersion to the game experience. Major in-game events were given apt haptic feedback and local controller audio, such as major Stress or Death. The longer term aim is to expand on this feature over time to further engage the user and add to the ambience and CK3 setting. The DualSense™ touchpad has also been used to allow the user to pause and un-pause game time as well as increasing and decreasing Game Speed.

New achievements have been added to the console experience which are designed to add signposting to the game as well as new console specific game challenges. These new achievements are in addition to the wide variety of PC achievements that have been ported to the console game – and certainly provide a challenge for you in the Community to complete over the long term.

In addition to the features described above, we’ve introduced some quality-of-life functionality that has been specifically designed for the console experience. The Quick Access Bar was introduced to enable seamless access to any active process. This includes fluid interaction with active wars, raised armies, building construction and upgrades, and schemes in progress. We’ve also added an Automated Warfare option which gives army control to the AI. This enables players who do not wish to manage wars manually to select the Automated option, allowing them to focus on alternate strategies like Dynasty building and Intrigue. Alerts and Suggestions are easily accessible through the Hints Menu that can be invoked through a single button press. For those players that want to dig down into the detail of the game, you can use the Auto Tooltips or Advanced Tooltip Mode to improve your knowledge of the CK3 world and refine your strategy and approach to gameplay.

Last edited:
  • 22Like
Reactions:
Is it possible to pin characters in the console edition? I could not figure out how… also the allied AI seems to be much worse than PC, which would typically allays follow my armies to battle. I had a large AI army follow me right up to battle just to pull away at the last minute to start a siege…

I would like to report some bugs on the console version. Where would I do that?

You must write in to the "bug report" on the main page of the forum.

Attachments

• Bez názvu.png
    Bez názvu.png
    524,7 KB · Views: 0
Automated warfare is a ballsy move. People forgive some amount of the AI's incompetence both because players can't monitor every action the AI takes, and because players are somewhat less critical of things that help them win. Will players be so forgiving when its their own country that's a thousand gold in debt because the AI keeps embarking armies and refuses to conduct a siege?
That's why I'm glad it's going to be toggleable. Myself, I prefer to manage my own troops directly, like we all do now...

Will you fix the console navigation. A number of things can not be accessed as it skips over those parts. For example you can not view other characters claims or alliance as the navigation skips them so we can not click on them. I wish the help cursor could be used to select things not just open help info. Other pc ports to console allow for this seems like a major problem when 20-25% of things can't be accessed properly. How can I decide if I want to marry for claim or invite a claimant when I don't know all the claims they hold

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will you fix the console navigation. A number of things can not be accessed as it skips over those parts. For example you can not view other characters claims or alliance as the navigation skips them so we can not click on them. I wish the help cursor could be used to select things not just open help info. Other pc ports to console allow for this seems like a major problem when 20-25% of things can't be accessed properly. How can I decide if I want to marry for claim or invite a claimant when I don't know all the claims they hold
heavily agree with this, main criticism so far is lack of being able to see basic information I otherwise could on PC.

Reactions:
Howdy all!

Today is the day for our Crusader Kings III release on Next-Gen Consoles! We are very excited and hope you are as well. Once again, our friends over at Lab42 have brought us some wisdom and insight into the process of how the game was created to reflect the performance standards for Xbox Series X|S and Playstation 5.

Our team in Stockholm is hard at work on the next steps of the PC version and with gathering and taking action on the feedback we have received thus far. Hopefully we will have more information on that side of things for the near future! In the meantime, this Dev Diary is for Console news.

Today, our Dev Diary will cover technical optimizations as well as console specific features for the Playstation 5. Hopefully this provides some useful information and brings further excitement to your day!

Without further ado:

Technical Optimization and PS Exclusive Features:

The adaptation to console brings some natural technical optimisation that comes directly from the features of the current gen consoles. This includes quick loading, which is a welcome feature for Crusader Kings on console. Despite the latest consoles being powerful we still had to be wary of performance so our game held up and was an example of how things should be. As your kingdom grows you end up with a lot of “widgets” in play, so we made sure to focus on optimizing performance and UI flow to keep the game, and the gameplay, running as smoothly as possible. To get certified on consoles is definitely a challenge: quality is very important to our Partners and they are very exacting!

Game Help & Activities have been utilized on Playstation 5 to assist with on-boarding and signposting for users in game. CK3 is not a linear mission based game, so the inclusion of Activities was not a straightforward implementation but something that was considered to be beneficial for the overall user experience. The use of Haptic feedback from the PS5 DualSense™ controller was implemented to add immersion to the game experience. Major in-game events were given apt haptic feedback and local controller audio, such as major Stress or Death. The longer term aim is to expand on this feature over time to further engage the user and add to the ambience and CK3 setting. The DualSense™ touchpad has also been used to allow the user to pause and un-pause game time as well as increasing and decreasing Game Speed.

New achievements have been added to the console experience which are designed to add signposting to the game as well as new console specific game challenges. These new achievements are in addition to the wide variety of PC achievements that have been ported to the console game – and certainly provide a challenge for you in the Community to complete over the long term.

In addition to the features described above, we’ve introduced some quality-of-life functionality that has been specifically designed for the console experience. The Quick Access Bar was introduced to enable seamless access to any active process. This includes fluid interaction with active wars, raised armies, building construction and upgrades, and schemes in progress. We’ve also added an Automated Warfare option which gives army control to the AI. This enables players who do not wish to manage wars manually to select the Automated option, allowing them to focus on alternate strategies like Dynasty building and Intrigue. Alerts and Suggestions are easily accessible through the Hints Menu that can be invoked through a single button press. For those players that want to dig down into the detail of the game, you can use the Auto Tooltips or Advanced Tooltip Mode to improve your knowledge of the CK3 world and refine your strategy and approach to gameplay.

Hello!! Thanks and congratulations for this incredible game... But it would be possible to add screen resizing in a future update??
I play on a 12 year old LCD and can't see certain elements on the sides and corners

Hello!! Thanks and congratulations for this incredible game... But it would be possible to add screen resizing in a future update??
I play on a 12 year old LCD and can't see certain elements on the sides and corners
I'm assuming it's a TV, not a monitor? Are you on Xbox or PS? Even a TV that old should have settings to turn off "overscan" (could be called something different in the TV menus). If you're on Xbox, there is a whole display troubleshooting and information menu in the settings which can help you adjust your TV settings. I tried to include a link but the forum rejected my post. If you can't find it lmk and I can give more details. If you're on PS, there may be something similar as well.

After the PS5 Simplified Chinese version started the game, the font of the big map appeared garbled and could not be restored, which seriously affected the game experience. I hope developers can see it and fix it as soon as possible. (attached drawing)

Attachments

• 微信图片_20220401141527.jpg
    微信图片_20220401141527.jpg
    2,5 MB · Views: 0
  • 微信图片_20220401141533.jpg
    微信图片_20220401141533.jpg
    2,2 MB · Views: 0
I'm assuming it's a TV, not a monitor? Are you on Xbox or PS? Even a TV that old should have settings to turn off "overscan" (could be called something different in the TV menus). If you're on Xbox, there is a whole display troubleshooting and information menu in the settings which can help you adjust your TV settings. I tried to include a link but the forum rejected my post. If you can't find it lmk and I can give more details. If you're on PS, there may be something similar as well.
Yes it's a TV and I play on xbox
I have looked in the TV settings but in the console channel it does not allow me to change the size

Thanks for the reply

Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition on Xbox series X not showing Royal Court?​

Royal Court is not available in the Console Edition yet. If you've bought the Royal Edition then you'll receive Northern Lords, Royal Court, and our next flavor pack automatically when they're released for consoles.