• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Even more new things that come with winter: snow plows and heating.

When it’s snowing, snow will cover roads and affect the maximum speed vehicles can travel on them. Roads fully covered with snow make traveling slower. To keep roads clear of snow, your city needs snow plows that drive around to collect the snow and store it at snow dumps. At snow dumps, the snow melts away with time. When there’s no snow to be plowed, snow plows stay in the snow dumps to receive maintenance, but head out as soon as snow begins to fall. Roads cannot be completely blocked, even when they are covered with snow, vehicles make their way slowly but with determination to their destinations. The amount of snow plows clearing the snow is controlled with the road budget.

New policies allow you to demand elderly people to wear anti-slipping studs on their shoes to increase their health, or make sure cars can resist low snow levels' ill effects by using studded tires.

dPgA1qw.jpg

Temperature is also a factor. The lower the temperature, the more electricity or heating is needed by your city. By default, housing uses electricity for heat. This is completely fine, but when temperatures drop, the electricity usage can soar. For a more budget-friendly option, you can supply the city with special heating service. Heat can be produced either with a Geothermal Heating Plant, or with a Boiler Station. Boiler station produces more electricity but need oil and create pollution. Geothermal Heating Plants are not as effective, but are a safe, green option.

UASMvnX.png

To distribute heat to housing, you need pipes. The pipes run alongside with water pipes. Existing pipes can be upgraded, or new water + heating pipes constructed. Upgrading can be done by clicking and dragging, so there’s no need to click every single piece of pipe separately. When a house is connected to heating pipes, it tries to use heating instead of electricity when temperature drops. Be sure to produce enough heat for the connected housing, or they will revert back to using electricity. To allow housing to use electricity again, no extra effort is needed. If they do not receive heating, they can automatically use electricity. The only downside is that you don’t get the most out of the pipes you built, and electricity for heat is a bit more expensive than using heating. You can also set policies to dictate what sort of heating can be used at certain areas.

For non-winter maps, heating is also present. Rain lowers temperatures, so housing will need heating on all maps. It’s up to you to decide what kind of options to present to your citizens. Just keep them warm!

I kinda wish we could buy DLC features.
I would love to buy the trams and ignore the snow stuff that's pointless until we can get real, working weather and seasons on any map, not just the new ones.

Probably why trams are in this DLC rather than an oft suggested by players, transportation DLC. Gotta have SOMETHING to entice players into buying more bugs.
Don't get me wrong, I love cities skylines, but After Dark, while neat, was half baked, and still hasn't had all its problems fixed, and the next one looks about the same. Frankly, I'd rather have seen them take the extra time to properly develop seasons.

Reactions:
Gents, I don't belive there will be seasons for all maps. But, If winter maps had some longer warmer and colder periods, it might be worth changing the white ground texture and snowfall into rain. Maybe some challange for modders :D. I love the theme editor! Endless playground and most precious feature in free patch. Rain looks good and fog will appear when you play with the theme editor a bit. However, the road maintenance depot might do the traffic even easier, will see. I am curious about the bugfix list as well. I am annoyed by the despawning 80% of cargo trains and ships.

Reactions:
I kinda wish we could buy DLC features.
I would love to buy the trams and ignore the snow stuff that's pointless until we can get real, working weather and seasons on any map, not just the new ones.

Probably why trams are in this DLC rather than an oft suggested by players, transportation DLC. Gotta have SOMETHING to entice players into buying more bugs.
Don't get me wrong, I love cities skylines, but After Dark, while neat, was half baked, and still hasn't had all its problems fixed, and the next one looks about the same. Frankly, I'd rather have seen them take the extra time to properly develop seasons.

Well you can ignore the snow stuff, just don't play on a winter map. The snow is restricted to a biome that has snow all the time, the rest of the maps only get rain and fog. So for your case you should be fine with this dlc, just buy it and use the trams in your other biomes and ignore the snowfall biomes.

Reactions:
Well you can ignore the snow stuff, just don't play on a winter map. The snow is restricted to a biome that has snow all the time, the rest of the maps only get rain and fog. So for your case you should be fine with this dlc, just buy it and use the trams in your other biomes and ignore the snowfall biomes.
Umm that was kinda of my point.
I AM probably going to ignore the specific snow maps, and the rain and fog are free updates. , so I wish I could spend a few dollars less and just get the trams I am going to use rather than have to also pay for stuff I'm not

Reactions:
Umm that was kinda of my point.
I AM probably going to ignore the specific snow maps, and the rain and fog are free updates. , so I wish I could spend a few dollars less and just get the trams I am going to use rather than have to also pay for stuff I'm not

Then why did you make the reference to AD? It seemed like you were drawing parallels between the snow and the day/night cycle.

Then why did you make the reference to AD? It seemed like you were drawing parallels between the snow and the day/night cycle.
If you drew parallels, that's your fault. I just brought up AD to point out that while they added neat stuff, none of it works nearly as well as the base game did on launch. The free night update doesn't seem to have much effect on things unless you lowered your night budget at which point it screws up your city, and the commercial specializations suffer the same problem industrial specializations did in that they can't level, plus tourism is still wonky at times.

We already know rain and fog are going to be cosmetic only if you don't buy Snowfall, so whatever, but with the DLC is the rain making your require heat going to mess with your budget? On snow maps are plows really going to add to gameplay, because they sound pretty much like a variant of the garbage truck, and service vehicle stupidity is something that's people have been complaining about since day one.

Hence, I wish I could send a little money the way of the devs and get the trams that I want and still support the devs rather than having to pay for the whole snowfall stuff and pay for a package that I am, on the whole, unsatisfied with given the information about it so far.

Reactions:
If you drew parallels, that's your fault. I just brought up AD to point out that while they added neat stuff, none of it works nearly as well as the base game did on launch. The free night update doesn't seem to have much effect on things unless you lowered your night budget at which point it screws up your city, and the commercial specializations suffer the same problem industrial specializations did in that they can't level, plus tourism is still wonky at times.

Lowering your nighttime budget doesn't not screw your city. For example sewer/water and electrical usage drops at night by as much as 20% if you don't have leisure zones, so lowering those budgets saves you money and doesn't hinder your city in any way. Also, taxis are better transport option for night, while bussing is best for day so having them operate at 100% during their respect time periods and at 50% otherwise is better for your city than just keeping them both at 100%.

Specializations are always at level 3, so as soon as they are built, they are considered maxed. Why would you need them to level up when they are already at the max level possible?

Reactions:
heating pipes? is that actually a thing somewhere in the world? i would figure having higher education or higher housing level could have more energy efficient heaters therefore its easier on the power supply. also i have never seen a plough truck collect snow....they just push it to the side of the road and lay a bed of salt behind them to help melt it all...the only time i see trucks hauling snow is when its a normal dump truck and there is too much piled up at the back corner of business parking lots so they move it for safety and such, i was hoping to see the little ploughs going around throwing snow to the side of the road making a nice little snow bank and maybe covering the cims walking by =P, also the road closures from icy roads would be neat, could just add that to the rain maintenance tab to with the trucks. but glad to hear bout rain to, perhaps there will also be storms featured? with high winds that could blow down lower maintained power lines? or too much rain to cause small floods in areas? im excited for trams, cant wait for the first TTC versions to hit the workshop. also can look good combined with train/bus stations, i do hope they arent stuck with roads tho, would be nice having a tram track in the median of an avenue and where that road ends as a T intersection the tram can keep going straight and join into another road, or sit between to normal smaller roads.

Yes. The bigger cities such as New York City, Chicago, Boston, and others actually did or still have steam heating plants which would heat up multiple blocks in the downtowns. In the olden days, these were heated by coal and trainloads of coal would be brought in. Today, it's leftover steam from various other heating plants and industries. In the past college and university campuses, hospital sites, and so on had big steam plants to heat their whole operation. Many of these still have this today but are heated by natural gas, or oil instead. Big factory complexes as well had the same. The plants provided both steam heat and power for the equipment. These too were once heated by coal-fired boilers and there were long sidings and a branchline into the facilities to heat them. Today, many of these have now stopped, but there are still heat pipes in some areas of Boston. South Boston, for example, near the Boston Edison Power plant, have steam pipes used to heat nearby buildings.

As has been said, about snow removal too. In the bigger cities this is true and even in the downtown areas of smaller cities the trucks move along with a front loader behind them as they remove the big piles of snow. Where I live in Haverhill, the snow is left to melt in a big shopping plaza parking lot down at the end where a store has closed. In the olden days, this was dumped into the Merrimack River, but since the river has been cleaned up and even hosts swans, salmon, mallard ducks and other fish and birds, this is no longer the case and instead the snow melts away in the parking lot and the sand is scooped up to be used again to grit the roads during the winter months.

Outside of the city downtown area, on the other hand, we shovel the snow. Last year we removed about 100-inches of snow from our driveway with the snow banks getting so tall we had to back straight out on to the street before turning. It was quite dangerous because people use our street as a shortcut to the nearby highway and college. This year we've been lucky and haven't had as much snow - perhaps a foot if that and most has been shoveled clear, though we're due for more again tomorrow with some sleet, freezing rain, ice, and snow. This is nothing new for New England, though the news media makes a big deal out of this.

Here's a picture of the old Tewksbury State Hospital. Notice the steam plant on the upper left corner. There was once a railway branch to this hospital. Today it's either heated by natural gas, or sadly oil.

http://binged.it/1KlMzFj

I tried to use a link from www.historicaerials.com but that would not post the historic image, which shows the railroad branch as it existed in 1938. The tracks from Tewksbury to Wilmington, Jct. came up in the 1940s and everything else has either reverted to woods, or has been built upon.

Here's a picture of some old textile mills in Lowell. Note the former railroad bridges into the mill complex, and the building with the big chimney. This was the steam plant, which heated the mill complex.

http://binged.it/1OcH4Dq

Again Historic Aerials showed a view with the tracks intact, but I couldn't post it.

John

Reactions:
Yes. The bigger cities such as New York City, Chicago, Boston, and others actually did or still have steam heating plants which would heat up multiple blocks in the downtowns.
It's not only historical, but there are also modern examples. Here is my local waste-to-energy plant, which is also a district heating plant that heats 60,000 homes:
900px-M%C3%BCllverbrennung_Spittelau01.jpg

They also have district cooling plants, btw, but those are for smaller areas.

Reactions:
Yes. The bigger cities such as New York City, Chicago, Boston, and others actually did or still have steam heating plants which would heat up multiple blocks in the downtowns. In the olden days, these were heated by coal and trainloads of coal would be brought in. Today, it's leftover steam from various other heating plants and industries. In the past college and university campuses, hospital sites, and so on had big steam plants to heat their whole operation. Many of these still have this today but are heated by natural gas, or oil instead. Big factory complexes as well had the same. The plants provided both steam heat and power for the equipment. These too were once heated by coal-fired boilers and there were long sidings and a branchline into the facilities to heat them. Today, many of these have now stopped, but there are still heat pipes in some areas of Boston. South Boston, for example, near the Boston Edison Power plant, have steam pipes used to heat nearby buildings.

As has been said, about snow removal too. In the bigger cities this is true and even in the downtown areas of smaller cities the trucks move along with a front loader behind them as they remove the big piles of snow. Where I live in Haverhill, the snow is left to melt in a big shopping plaza parking lot down at the end where a store has closed. In the olden days, this was dumped into the Merrimack River, but since the river has been cleaned up and even hosts swans, salmon, mallard ducks and other fish and birds, this is no longer the case and instead the snow melts away in the parking lot and the sand is scooped up to be used again to grit the roads during the winter months.

Outside of the city downtown area, on the other hand, we shovel the snow. Last year we removed about 100-inches of snow from our driveway with the snow banks getting so tall we had to back straight out on to the street before turning. It was quite dangerous because people use our street as a shortcut to the nearby highway and college. This year we've been lucky and haven't had as much snow - perhaps a foot if that and most has been shoveled clear, though we're due for more again tomorrow with some sleet, freezing rain, ice, and snow. This is nothing new for New England, though the news media makes a big deal out of this.

Here's a picture of the old Tewksbury State Hospital. Notice the steam plant on the upper left corner. There was once a railway branch to this hospital. Today it's either heated by natural gas, or sadly oil.

http://binged.it/1KlMzFj

I tried to use a link from www.historicaerials.com but that would not post the historic image, which shows the railroad branch as it existed in 1938. The tracks from Tewksbury to Wilmington, Jct. came up in the 1940s and everything else has either reverted to woods, or has been built upon.

Here's a picture of some old textile mills in Lowell. Note the former railroad bridges into the mill complex, and the building with the big chimney. This was the steam plant, which heated the mill complex.

http://binged.it/1OcH4Dq

Again Historic Aerials showed a view with the tracks intact, but I couldn't post it.

John

i just didnt think heating pipes would work with being in the cold frozen ground, but apparently it does, so thanks for that, and i live in Canada all i have ever seen is a sort of dump truck with a massive plow on the front and along the side to push the snow and slush off the road and the back is filled with salt or sometimes dirt, and its sprays the salt across the road behind it, most often parking lots have mountains of snow in the outter parts to melt away as well but generally if snow needs to be moved dump trucks show up and little front end loaders fill them from there, so its just odd for a truck to pickup snow as it moves at average road speed is all......i guess the Canadian in me was just alittle too excited to see massive piles of snow everywhere =P

Reactions: