• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We at Colossal have a long history of doing games with public transport. Cities in Motion and its sequel are all about building and managing a public transportation system in existing real world cities. Naturally we are very excited to get to expand the transport systems in Skylines too.

Mass Transit is not just about new transportation methods. There are numerous improvements to traffic and public transport. Train stations can be set to accept or not accept intercity traffic, so you can decide if trains coming from outside the city stop at all stations or maybe use just one where passengers can then transfer to other transportation modes. Selecting a line now shows a list of stops and the amount of passengers waiting on each stop. A new slider allows for more detailed adjusting of how many vehicles each line gets from the shared budget. One-way train tracks can be used to better define where you want trains to go without any extra tracks taking up space. A whole new info view has been added to help you find out where citizens are going to and from.

devdiary-trainsation.png

A passenger train station which can receive intercity trains

Traffic routes info view

Open Traffic Routes info view and click on a citizen, vehicle, building or road segment to see a visualization of trips. If you have chosen a citizen or a vehicle, you can see where they are coming from and what is the destination as usual, but now this information is visual and you can also see the route they are using. Buildings and road segments highlight trips made to and from them, so it is easy to see where the traffic is coming from. Visualization allows you to quickly swap between selections and instantly see where the traffic is coming from. This information is very useful when for example you are looking a a segment of road that is prone to traffic congestion. Finding out where traffic originates can help you plan alternative routes or separate trips from different areas to different roads, so there is more capacity available.

devdiary-trafficroutes.png

The piece of road showing in green in the middle of the screen has been selected while the info view is open. Trips made through it recently are painted on the map. Pedestrians and vehicles are in different colours and can be filtered in the info view legend panel.

Visual aids to road building

Building roads is a big part of the game, so it should be even more intuitive and easy. While the road tool is very flexible and allows for all kinds of interesting intersections, there are now improvements to the basic use. New line guides and dots help you place roads just where you want them to be. The lines show distances between roads and how existing roads would continue. Dots mark places where you can start building a road at a 90 degree angle and get the zoning grids to meet perfectly with no gaps. There are many exceptions to these basic rules, but the main point is that when building roads, there is a lot more visual information available, so the dream road grids will be easier to build. These visual aids are something I’m personally very excited for. The team has played the game so much that naturally we almost always get the zoning spacing right, but it does still feel frustrating when its one square too much to the side and you have to cancel the road and try again. We will have much less of that when Mass Transit comes out!

devdiary-visualaids1.png

When building a road connected to an existing road, you can now see its angle compared to the existing road, as well as guide dots on where to place roads for zoning to have no gaps.

devdiary-visualaids2.png

The road tool now has a circle around the cursor circle to signify where zoning will will be marked. Blue dashed lines mark how existing roads would continue.

Public Transport improvements

As mentioned, passenger train stations now have a new setting. When you have outside connection train tracks coming to your city, you can now choose where the train will stop. Previously trains stopped at all encountered stations, which could end up in very slow train connections. Having more control over where trains stop helps a lot with this.

devdiary-modifyline.png

Passengers view shows the amount an location of passengers on a line. The blue dots are vehicles on the line, also showing their maximum capacity. Stops show the amount of passengers waiting for this line on a stop.

When you select a line, you can see in the line info panel all the stops and vehicles on the line. Both stops and vehicles show how many passengers are on board or waiting on a stop. Vehicles also show the maximum capacity, so you know if they are full or not. The vehicle markers move between the stop markers, so you can basically see the whole line easily at one glance. This helps you identify bottlenecks so you can check more closely where passengers are going to and why are they packing into one station. Or you can see if some stop is almost always empty, maybe it can be removed or it needs some lines feeding passengers to it.

Free update

As usual, the DLC pack will come with a free update which has all of the features listed in this text. For even more features and content of the DLC pack, check out the next Development Diary in a couple of weeks!

Cheers,
Karoliina, Lead Game Designer on Cities: Skylines

Here in Europe, Trams and Metros are in the vast majority of the cities separated systems. While here in Germany Tram and Metro are by law the same thing, they still have really big differences in signaling as well as vehicles and dimensions. These factors apply to all europe countries.
Metro vehicles usually are dimensioned like the big trains (except length) by sharing the same 1435mm track gauge. Metros have a length of around 150m, third rail, 4 seats in a row and platform height is something above 700mm (but differs from city to city).
Tram vehicles on the other hand are much more smaller due to the street restrictions and curve radius. Track gauge is around 1000mm, platform height is about street level and 3 seats in a row.
With metros you can transport a huge amount of people. Cities with a merged metro-tram-system (here in Germany it is called "Stadtbahn", roughly translated to "Cityrail") are restricted to a not so much mass transit system, as the tram vehicles do not have enough space for huge amount of people and are limited in width and length of the streets.
So while I highly disapprove of your recommendation to merge these two systems in-game because these are totally different things in europe, I fully support your ideas 1-3 ;).
I dislike that you bring up the topic of Track gauge again.
That is simply a historical factor.

History has decided that some roads have more narrow curves and therefore trams have to follow them.
That Metros start underground in the city centres.
But also that they quickly expand to developing (;in the 70s planed) areas quickly and cost effective - read overground.

History has decided that many NA and West European cities reduced their tram lines in the 1950-70s.
But also that some started to rebuild in the last 20 years.
They wont switch gauge but that has not been the diciding factor at any time in at least 100 years of city planning.

Signaling and wire system is a topic these days.
But this can also be overcome.
You can find many samples of Metro switching to Tram, switching to railroad.

When you look at Germany espacially I recommend Chemnitzer Modell and Zwickau/Vogtlandbahn.
Cities are very close located but their history, their role in the region and the public transport designs are quite different.
And so are their models to expand of Tram to Train.
First is a extension of Tram (with very similar stock as standard Tram) to leave town borader at 80 km/h over land travel.
All over land stops have been reworked to be low flood compatible.
Lukily the Chemnitz tram is is 1435mm.
The other one is a system including 3rd rail.
As well as different platform heights to the left and right hand side.
So Tram and Train can use the same path.

You find other examples there:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verknüpfung_zwischen_Straßenbahn_und_Eisenbahn
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tram-train

Last edited:
I know there have been a lot of people that are wanting a "Park-and-Ride" system implemented into the game where people can park their cars at a nearby parking garage or car park lot and then take public transport to work. If this was implemented it would be nice if they didn't use "pocket cars" (e.g., park car -> take public transit -> spawn a new car). This would solve a lot of traffic issues :)

Wow this has even more stuff than I even knew I wanted! This makes me so excited for the expansion!

There are 2 things that aren't mentioned that I was hoping the patch would fix. It would be great if buses did a better job at pulling off the road into the bay (i.e. when there are two buses using the same bay) and if there was some mechanism to reduce bunching on transit lines.

Either way, what you guys have included is already awesome. Keep up the good work!

There are 2 things that aren't mentioned that I was hoping the patch would fix. It would be great if buses did a better job at pulling off the road into the bay (i.e. when there are two buses using the same bay) and if there was some mechanism to reduce bunching on transit lines.
In some cases you can avoid bunching by having more than one bus depot, though it's not really worth the money. Buses always navigate to the closest stop when leaving the depot, which tends to be the main cause for bus congestion.

Just seen Paradox released a free DLC "Cities: Skylines - Pearls From the East" but they only did it for Windows unlike their other DLC's makes me wonder if I should invest more into this game. Why do everything for all systems then make an exclusive windows DLC...? Oh well typical.

Just seen Paradox released a free DLC "Cities: Skylines - Pearls From the East" but they only did it for Windows unlike their other DLC's makes me wonder if I should invest more into this game. Why do everything for all systems then make an exclusive windows DLC...? Oh well typical.

That's the Windows minimum requirements, which appear on the page anyway. The available content are assets - just buildings and stuff so there's no reason why it wouldn't work in another version.

Did you try downloading to find out?

That's the Windows minimum requirements, which appear on the page anyway. The available content are assets - just buildings and stuff so there's no reason why it wouldn't work in another version.
I can confirm it works on Linux, and it was probably automatically downloaded because when I clicked on « Download », it just started the game and the new monuments where available.

I can confirm it works on Linux, and it was probably automatically downloaded because when I clicked on « Download », it just started the game and the new monuments where available.

That's good to know and what I thought would happen being that it's content and not a game update in the sense of a new version. I know other people, not on the forums here, who are afraid to install stuff (why?) so I'll mention I had confirmation that the stuff will work.

Thanks.

You have no idea how much this confused me and my friend when the game just decided to launch itself after clicking download lol

I think it was not gaudintig22's request. He would like the inscriptions, panels and other identified elements to be props to be more easily replaced by players...

Ah, literally on the building, not just the building's info panel.

@Co
All vehicles have depots only Metro and Trains do not. I think it's time to add this feature now. As already done by the community (Metropolitan Depot). In addition, we have the possibility to paint resources such as ore, oil, sand etc. We still need a resource snow so that we can make the best use of the DLCs ... e.g. (Surface Painter) or as I have already suggested the possibility of the four-seasons through the game, Maybe for a future DLC. Best regards :)