• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Greetings and welcome back to Cities: Skylines Dev Diaries! Our topic of the day is Production Chains which is right at the very center of this expansion so let's get cracking!

Industries expansion will allow you to manage your Industry's production process in a way that hasn't been possible before in Cities: Skylines. Creating production chains is easy but optimizing your production chain to perfection takes effort. To support this Industries DLC comes with a wide selection of new buildings. Each building type has its of purpose and functionality in the game, but there are also some variation within each type – mostly per production chain and resource type, but also to offer variety for different levels of efficiency. You can create the whole production chain inside a single area - or if you prefer create multiple areas which each serve a specific part in your production chain.

TwoDollarsTwenty has made another nice tutorial to help us showcasing the new supply chain management of Industries DLC:

All the tutorial videos will be available on this playlist at Paradox Interactive Youtube channel!

Note: Tutorials were made with a beta version of the Industries so you might notice some differences compared to the Dev Diary screenshots.

From raw materials to luxury products

For this Dev Diary we have created Forest Industry Area to serve as an example. Forest Industry Area is one of four new Industry Areas but the basic flow of products inside the chain works the same way for all Industry Areas. Managing a production chain is rather straightforward as long as you keep a few things in mind. For starters it's good to remember that as you own the Industry Area buildings, they do not produce any tax income unlike your zoned buildings. Instead your profit will be made through the production chain - the better your production chain works the more money you make.

You start your production chain with Raw Resources that can either be harvested directly from the map with Extractor Buildings or you can have them imported. Extractor Buildings are located under the revamped Garbage and Industry menu, divided into sub-menus per Industry Area type and can only operate inside corresponding Industry Area type. Forest Industry uses Raw Resource called Raw Forest Products which can be harvested by planting an Extractor Building, for example Large Tree Plantation, on top of forest Natural Resource. If you have chosen to Import raw materials instead they are transported straight to the Processing Buildings from the outside connections. But remember that you must pay for any raw materials you import! If your map is rich in natural resources you can also earn some extra by selling your surplus production of raw materials to corresponding specialized zoned industry or export them through outside connections.

Cities 2018-09-14 13-28-30-46.png

Forest Forwarder is moving freshly harvested Raw Forest Products from Large Conifer Plantation further down the production chain.

What if I do not have the required raw materials available in my map? Worry not! Your processing buildings will automatically import raw materials for their needs if none are available in your City. And do not forget that a selection of Storage Buildings allows you to import, handle and store larger quantities of raw materials so your factories can remain operational at all times. You can locate Storage Buildings under the same menu as your Extractor Buildings. Forest Industry can store Raw Forest Products for example into Small Log Yard, which is one of the several available Raw Material Storage Buildings. These buildings serve an important role because they act as a buffer to provide steady flow of resources further down the production chain as needed. You are able to store all resources required in your production chain at any point - something that is extremely handy when you plan how resources are moved in your city.

Cities 2018-09-14 13-32-53-34.png

Sawmill in action. Raw Forest Products go in - Planed Timber comes out. Easy and simple.

Different kind of Special goods, which are produced by Processing Buildings, are required by Unique Factories but can also be sold to regular zoned industry in case your own factories have no need for them. Depending on your Unique Factory, it will require one to four different kind of special goods to operate and produce the desired Luxury Products. For example Furniture Factory is unlocked through levelling up your Forest Industry Area and requires both Planed Timber and Paper Special Goods produced in Forest Industry Areas. All Unique Factories are located in their own tab under Garbage and Industry menu where you can easily check their requirements. Can you unlock them all?

Cities 2018-09-14 13-37-00-52.png

Furniture Factory has manufactured a batch of Luxury Products - Furniture - that is finally on the way to the stores.

To summarize the basic production chain it consists of four different types of buildings;

1. Extractor Buildings, for example Tree Plantations, harvest resources from the soil or the raw material can be imported if enough isn't harvested. Surplus production can be sold to corresponding specialized zoned industry or exported through outside connections for profit. Extractor Buildings can only be placed inside Industry Areas.

2. Raw Material Storage Buildings, Log Yards for example, are located under the construction menu of each Industry Type. Storing helps you to manage the flow of resources. Special Goods and Luxury Products can be stored in Warehouses. Storage Buildings can operate outside Industry Areas. If you want to know more about storing resources then stay tuned for upcoming Dev Diaries.

3. Processing Buildings, for example Sawmill, will transform your gathered resources into Special Goods that are required by Unique Factories. Extra goods can be sold and used by regular zoned industry. Processing Buildings can only be placed inside Industry Areas.

4. Unique Factories, like Furniture Factory for an example, produce Luxury Goods from processed materials which are the final products of the production chain. Luxury Goods, which in the case of Furniture Factory are furniture, can be sold for significant profit to your own commercial zones or exported through outside connections. In order to operate Unique Factories do not need be placed inside Industry Areas.
Optimization

Once the basic production flow is functioning you can start tweaking your area into perfection. This where Auxiliary Buildings come to play. Each Industry Area type has two auxiliary buildings with different functions, located in the same place as Main Buildings. You cannot mix-and-match these buildings between different area types but you can build several of the same kind inside the same area. Auxiliary Buildings boost your Industry Area, improving the effectiveness of the Industry Areas they are located in and can often give you just that little extra boost to reach the next level with your Area!
  • Workers' Barracks increases the efficiency of the workers inside the Industry Area by 5% per Worker's Barracks.

• Industry Maintenance Building increases the storage capacity of industrial buildings inside the Industry Area by 5% per Maintenance Building.
In next Dev Diary we dig deeper into the world of Unique Factories and what makes them so special. We also have a closer look at different resource types and panels - all for the benefit of your City. Keep on building!

When the free features of the new patch be featured? I would love to see the toll booths and the cargo airports later on.
what is included in the free patch is normally in the last dev diary

Will there be any cross-resource productions, for instance for upholstered furniture - wood from forest industry but cloth or hides from farming industry or synthetic materials from the oil industry?

All in all I really like the look of this DLC, I think it's likely the best expansion so far. My question is: will the duration of oil and ore supplies be extended? It's highly useless and unrealistic now, I was really hoping this DLC would take care of that but it seems like they're still going to be used up? I see a few people have already asked this question in previous dev diaries, but you decided not to respond, which makes me think it's bad news.

I don't want to spend hours making a nice oil or ore district and even more hours optimizing supply chains and then to have it all be completely invalidated within minutes, like it happens now. What's the point of that? This DLC has a lot of potential, but only if this core issue is resolved. Honestly that was always the biggest problem with industry: oil and ore are completely useless and a waste of time. It's just a temporary cash boost, which is okay fine or whatever, but it's safe to say 99% of players don't really care much about that short term cash boost but would rather want to use these industry types to give their cities a certain flair, not just as an extremely short time game mechanic. Because really, making money in this game was never a problem, so having these extremely cool city building concepts used for a relatively useless temporary game mechanic seems like a waste.

Perhaps if you want a temporary cash boost you can use the current specialized zoning system, but if you want to get into the nitty gritty of supply chains and ploppables the oil/ore supplies can be extended, maybe even indefinitely? Because really, in real life single ore and oil deposits last for centuries even under heavy use. For all intents and purposes that might as well be infinite for Cities: Skylines.

I don't want to spend hours making a nice oil or ore district and even more hours optimizing supply chains and then to have it all be completely invalidated within minutes, like it happens now. What's the point of that? This DLC has a lot of potential, but only if this core issue is resolved. Honestly that was always the biggest problem with industry: oil and ore are completely useless and a waste of time. It's just a temporary cash boost, which is okay fine or whatever, but it's safe to say 99% of players don't really care much about that short term cash boost but would rather want to use these industry types to give their cities a certain flair, not just as an extremely short time game mechanic. Because really, making money in this game was never a problem, so having these extremely cool city building concepts used for a relatively useless temporary game mechanic seems like a waste.

You can use a simple MOD (I think from BloodyPenguin) that make them unexpandable... very useful :)

I knew someone would come up with the mod thing :D Thanks for the suggestion and I realize and appreciate that there are mods for pretty much everything, but I think this is a core issue with the game and not just a personal preference that should be modded up if one wishes. You can use the the mod excuse for pretty much everything. But while we're at the topic of feedback, suggestions and new expansions I think there's a lot to be said about adding/changing things about the vanilla game instead of saying "just use mods" for every brought up grievance.

And I also prefer playing the game vanilla as a personal preference while we're at it. Achievements and not having to constantly worry about patches breaking my game.

My concern are more directly tied to the Industry Specialization District, and how it will work in conjunction with them, or if we need them at all. District Specialization have Extractors and Processors which produce Processed Products (as per Wiki https://skylines.paradoxwikis.com/Supply_chain ), and send to Generic Industries for Goods or Export. Will these zones send to Warehouses first and then to G/I and/or Special Goods? Or does the new Industrial Area produce Raw to Processing I/A or Import and not I/S/D Processors? or Do they all mix togother? Because, with RICO mod, we can plop the Extractors/Processors in the I/S/D (which I used to maximize efficiency) and I would'nt want to corrupt my already supply chain and risk total city back-orders :p

Last edited:
I knew someone would come up with the mod thing :D Thanks for the suggestion and I realize and appreciate that there are mods for pretty much everything, but I think this is a core issue with the game and not just a personal preference that should be modded up if one wishes. You can use the the mod excuse for pretty much everything. But while we're at the topic of feedback, suggestions and new expansions I think there's a lot to be said about adding/changing things about the vanilla game instead of saying "just use mods" for every brought up grievance.

And I also prefer playing the game vanilla as a personal preference while we're at it. Achievements and not having to constantly worry about patches breaking my game.

For that purpose your right and would second you. I found it useless to have ressources depleting at all. If we look at Realistic ressources, it can take up to 100+ year before depleting. And in vanilla game, it can take 10 years... that's why I switch to the mod. I'm making a city and work and look good and functional. I like detail and not worry about ressources, otherwise I would play a game that as ressources management! That is the same with building abandon, I dislike it. In real life, building don't "disappear" because nobody live in it!! That is why I use RICO mod. At least, now vanilla will have "historical", so you could switch every building "on" with this option! But for me, every building should always stay.

assuming you're talking about the rate that oil and ore depletes, well CO did fix this years ago by adding in a mod to the base game that stops oil and ore from depleting.

My concern are more directly tied to the Industry Specialization District, and how it will work in conjunction with them, or if we need them at all. District Specialization have Extractors and Processors which produce Processed Products (as per Wiki https://skylines.paradoxwikis.com/Supply_chain ), and send to Generic Industries for Goods or Export. Will these zones send to Warehouses first and then to G/I and/or Special Goods? Or does the new Industrial Area produce Raw to Processing I/A or Import and not I/S/D Processors? or Do they all mix togother?
The new specialized industry areas don't just manufacture generic processed products, they do more defined products like planed timber, petroleum, glass etc. These products can then be used by newly implemented Unique Factories that produce luxury goods for commercial zones, or the old generic industry. From what I've gathered, warehouses and other storage buildings are used to store excess raw and processed products to allow more efficiency (preventing "not enough buyers for products").

The different industry types will be backwards compatible. However, the new industry areas and unique factories will be able to employ more educated workers than the old specialized and lvl 1 generic industry, so this may cause structural changes in your job market.

Last edited:
The new specialized industry areas don't just manufacture generic processed products, they do more defined products like planed timber, petroleum, glass etc. These products can then be used by newly implemented Unique Factories that produce luxury goods for commercial zones, or the old generic industry. From what I've gathered, warehouses and other storage buildings are used to store excess raw and processed products to allow more efficiency (preventing "not enough buyers for products").

The different industry types will be backwards compatible. However, the new industry areas and unique factories will be able to employ more educated workers than the old specialized and lvl 1 generic industry, so this may cause structural changes in your job market.

Oh that is interesting... "not enough buyers" is a mass problem that is hard to solve... as its commercial side "not enough goods"... hope they'll do a C:S Business Zealot DLC :p As for education... most of my workers are more educated of what is needed! lol

assuming you're talking about the rate that oil and ore depletes, well CO did fix this years ago by adding in a mod to the base game that stops oil and ore from depleting.
I don't really count that as a fix, myself. Eventually ores and oils should deplete. It shouldn't happen in what's equivalent to 2 in game years, even if the resource is sparse.

Industry buildings need to take up resources at a much slower rate. Once your city is at the capital city tier, you should start worrying about depletion. Not at the small city tier.

I don't really count that as a fix, myself. Eventually ores and oils should deplete. It shouldn't happen in what's equivalent to 2 in game years, even if the resource is sparse.

Industry buildings need to take up resources at a much slower rate. Once your city is at the capital city tier, you should start worrying about depletion. Not at the small city tier.

Capital ? But it depends also on how much time you need to reach it. you can spend more time being a small city than another mayor..
It can't work under that system of yours then

I agree with that comment :

All in all I really like the look of this DLC, I think it's likely the best expansion so far. My question is: will the duration of oil and ore supplies be extended? It's highly useless and unrealistic now, I was really hoping this DLC would take care of that but it seems like they're still going to be used up? I see a few people have already asked this question in previous dev diaries, but you decided not to respond, which makes me think it's bad news.

[...]

Perhaps if you want a temporary cash boost you can use the current specialized zoning system, but if you want to get into the nitty gritty of supply chains and ploppables the oil/ore supplies can be extended, maybe even indefinitely? Because really, in real life single ore and oil deposits last for centuries even under heavy use. For all intents and purposes that might as well be infinite for Cities: Skylines.

either indefinitly or centuries ...far later :)

I’m a little bummed out that these industries are directly owned by the city.

I’m a little bummed out that these industries are directly owned by the city.
i wonder why no taxes for industries ? taxed goods ok, but why not industries too ? something i asked on twitch earlier but havent heard the answer.
and yes, why do we spend money building industries ?

or mayor leads also company but still, money building those industries is from the city!
I can't wait for the DLC but something is not right here.

or those industries are public-private like train station is....
thats the only explanation I find.
:)

Last edited:
i wonder why no taxes for industries ? taxed goods ok, but why not industries too ? something i asked on twitch earlier but havent heard the answer.

or mayor leads also company but still, money building those industries is from the city!

Cause we are dicators, that is why. Everything has to go by our rules in our Cities:cool:

This is of course sarcasm.

No taxes makes sense since we pay the costs and gain any profits they make. No point in taxing our own income. :p

I imagine they decided on that since otherwise there wouldn't be a cost for us to place buildings, which means we could just build like crazy without caring about how well the industries do. And since we have to pay to build them it makes sense to deal with the full costs and gain the full profits. Sure it isn't so realistic, but otherwise we'd need some weird system where you'd have to attract big customers and you wouldn't have a ton of control over what's build where - and production chain wouldn't be something for you to really care about.