• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello again! This time we will take a peek at how the game systems actually work. Some of the main goals for us at Colossal Order where to create fun systems which interact with each other, and to have simulated individual citizens.

At the heart of Cities: Skylines is how the individual citizens and goods move around the city. Citizens have a name, age, a home and a workplace, unless they are students at the university or too young to work. Citizens travel to work, go shopping and occasionally visit leisure locations like parks. Not all citizens own cars, so some walk and others drive. If public transportation is available, most of the people without cars will use it for longer trips. Even people with cars use public transportation if they notice driving with their own car might be slower because of the traffic.

xtIlDXH.png

Because simulating individual citizens takes some processing power, we opted to cut down the number of citizens. Some residential buildings have a quite low amount of people living in them compared to the size of the building. We felt choosing individual citizens over realistic numbers brought more to the game. So while your high-rise might have only 12 households, everyone has a name and a logical pattern of moving around the city.

Goods are produced in industrial areas and transported to commercial areas to be sold to citizens and tourists. This means that wherever there’s a commercial area, there will be trucks driving to and from it. To produce goods, industrial areas use raw materials. If the city produces raw materials by specialized industry, the industry will automatically get them shipped from the specialized production facilities. Industry prefers materials from inside the city, but if none are available, they will order raw materials from outside locations. Materials arriving from outside locations come by truck if no train or cargo ship connections are available, which will put a stress on the road system.

995IESV.png

To avoid traffic jams, vehicles choose their route so that they try to avoid busiest spots in the city. They also like to choose lanes early to avoid switching lanes and blocking off two lanes in the process if they are trying to push their way into a line of cars and have to wait. If the traffic does not flow well, there’s a traffic info view to show the spots where problems lie. Using roundabouts, elevated roads and building roads to get the vehicles straight to where they are going is are a big part of the game.

dVF1fP2.png

Everything is connected. If you build a Fire Station that sends out fire engines to put out fires, the service vehicles can only get to the fires if the roads are not crowded with other vehicles. But just having a Fire Station near by raises the happiness of residential houses. A raise in happiness means the residents are less likely to turn to crime, even if they are unemployed for some time.

Karoliina Korppoo, Colossal Order, lead designer on Cities: Skylines

Last edited by a moderator:
Great dev blog! It's always interesting to read these things. I have a couple questions:

1) What would you say is the most taxing part of the simulation?

2) Do plan on actually limiting the population (i.e. artificial cap)? Or will you allow the game to simulate beyond the limit, but with no guarantees on performance? It's be great if more powerful PCs can push the limit beyond 1 million and not be capped by the game itself. This will be more and more relevant as the game gets older and CPUs get even better.

Game looks very good so far but still a lot unknown. Biggest question is how balance of RCI will work. One of the issues the new Sim City had (there were many) was the lack of balance. A city should have places for people to work and shop. If they don't then people's interest in living there should be low.

One request I have (which is lame I know but still), any emergency vehicles (police, fire, ambulance) should get the right of way and lights should turn green ahead of them. I always found it funny in Sim City to watch a fire truck stuck at a red light.

Oh wow ! Until now I was afraid this game wanted to be too much like FailCity13 (starting road, icons, wonders, citizen amount) but this is what I've been waiting for, a real type of simulation, not a fake one ! I can take the lower population if the reason for it is completely justified like this !

Yeah and it can be optimized in the future and even better cpus can help to get more population.

PLEASE do not limit the populotion "hardcoded"!! Best is to get a slider in options on how much sims you want in a house. With a warning, that too much cims are getting much of perf. and not smooth gameplay is possible.

Please allow us to change the values of citizens/simulated entities in the game.

Some of us have some pretty big CPUs, heavily overclocked and watercooled :D (4820K here at 4.9Ghz)
So if your system works by multithreading on multicore CPUs, we will have bigger "real" population numbers, and not been limited because the game is designed to run on an i3 for example.

I suppose the processing load comes from the number of cims x frequency at which things need updating. I wonder if the number of cims could be increased if the frequency at which things are recalculated for them was reduced? How often are things recalculated at the moment - every time the situation changes (like, you build a park, a bunch of people get happier and that makes them shop more)?

Actually, its probably the same reason as in Sim City 5, because people are obsessed about demanding to be able to play on superspeed x5 gamespeed.
If we all just accepted to play on 1x speed, we could have far far more citizens in the cities, as the devs wouldnt need to optimize the game for running at 5x simulation speed, for the few times a player just wanna zoom through the game as if it was call of duty.

I would happily have 3x the citizens if i was locked to playing in 1x speed.
I play city builders to chill out and plan my city, not to watch cash roll in every second.

Actually, its probably the same reason as in Sim City 5, because people are obsessed about demanding to be able to play on superspeed x5 gamespeed.
If we all just accepted to play on 1x speed, we could have far far more citizens in the cities, as the devs wouldnt need to optimize the game for running at 5x simulation speed, for the few times a player just wanna zoom through the game as if it was call of duty.

I would happily have 3x the citizens if i was locked to playing in 1x speed.
I play city builders to chill out and plan my city, not to watch cash roll in every second.

but nothing gets done on speed 1. Except if you're talking about only one but very fast speed setting, i don't see how's that satisfying. Some people like to play it slow, some don't.

but nothing gets done on speed 1. Except if you're talking about only one but very fast speed setting, i don't see how's that satisfying. Some people like to play it slow, some don't.

I personally like to play slow. I don't really like to rush the game, and I play fast if I need money and have nothing to do. I think it's more visually pleasing to play at normal speed.