• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
xcifVa3.jpg

A passenger ship arriving at a harbor.

Each city needs to be connected to the outside world. The main reason for this is to allow industry to work with full efficiency, but also tourists use outside connections to travel to the city. There are many possibilities on how to get the best of your connections, so read on to find out more about importing and exporting goods, boosting your city attractiveness with monuments and luring in tourists to spend their hard-earned money in your commercial districts.

Tourism

Others using the outside connections are tourists. They come in through many transportation types, but when you start a game, they use the highway only. Tourists come to your city always, but their numbers are decided by how attractive your city is. Attractiveness is raised by high land value and having monuments. Land value can be increased by building parks and plazas, which also help zoned buildings in the city to level up. Monuments are quite exciting! They are buildings, parks, plazas and statues that you can earn through actions in the game. For example, when your city has produced 1 000 units of goods, you gain the Stadium of Many Things. Upon reaching the goal, the Stadium becomes available in the menu and you can place it in your city. It's a popular location for many of your citizens, but also draws in tourists and increases happiness of citizens living near it. It's often a good idea to make sure monuments have good public transport connections, so roads around them don't get too busy.

NJxy5mS.jpg

Tourists arrive at the terminal.

Tourists come to your city to see sights and shop. This can greatly increase your tax income, because tax is paid for every unit of goods sold. It also means that tourists want to get to your commercial areas. Tourists can come to the city by ship, airplane, train or with their own car. Especially for tourists that come in with other means than their own car, public transport is very important. The better tourists can get around, the more they tend to spend money in your city. The key is to earn and build monuments to draw in tourists, and then provide them with good transportation option inside the city to keep them there. Large amounts of tourists can also create traffic jams if they use their own cars instead of public transport, so you can avoid a lot of problems by giving them the means to move around easily.

Monuments

While monuments provide the city with happiness and attractiveness boost, there's more! Monuments are grouped into five "skill trees", pathways to gaining the ultimate buildings: Wonders. Different monuments are suited for different playing styles, so you can pick your favourite, play in that style and eventually gain the coveted Wonder. Wonders are massive buildings that basically remove one need from the city, but more on those in another development diary!

w7byERY.jpg

The Expo Center makes people living nearby very happy.

Import and export

The most optimal city that gives out biggest amount of taxes possible, would produce and use up everything inside the city. But since it takes time to get there and most cities can benefit from outside help, there are possibilities to import and export goods and natural resources. All industry buildings need a small amount of natural resources to produce goods, that are then sold in commercial areas. Natural resources can be produced in your city, but only specialized industry can provide them, and it doesn't unlock until a bit further in the game. So, to get your industry up and going, you need to be connected to a highway. This also works for power plants that use a specific resource to work, for example the oil power plant. It prefers resources inside the city, so if you have oil industry set up, it will order oil from local suppliers. If not, a load will arrive from outside the city. While the most tax income is gained by having your own industry provide everything, it might be better to not have polluting oil industry and rather have the oil be brought from other cities. It's your choice!

RrQjiFt.jpg

Cargo arrives and leaves on a cargo ship.

Maps have many highway connections available, but the starting tile always offers at least one. Some starting tiles have the highway running through them, other only have a small ramp that you can connect to. If the highway comes into the way of your growing city, you don't have to keep it as it is. Re-building it as elevated lets you add ramps in the places you need and have inner city traffic pass under the highway. You can also just connect the ends of a high way to your city and let the traffic find its own way. There are almost endless possibilities! Keep an eye on where your industrial areas lie, because they will get most of the traffic, so a ramp near the industrial area is always a good idea.
Exporting goods works best via cargo train stations and cargo harbors. Before these are available, industry will ship excess goods to other cities with trucks, which puts a strain on the roads. With a harbor or a train connection, you can have the trucks only operate between the industry buildings and the harbor/station, and easily control where the large trucks drive. Commercial buildings inside the city are a priority, they will order goods to sell and industry always first ships to them, but if their stockpiles are full, goods can be sold to other cities.

Karoliina Korppoo,
Lead designer on Cities: Skylines

PS. UI has been re-done, how do you feel about it? We are very proud!

YMeARom.jpg

Trains can also carry cargo.

4xZ9586.jpg

A close-up on the Expo Center.

Very nice that there is a need of raw goods to produce transformed goods that needs to be transported and thus will create traffic.

PS. UI has been re-done, how do you feel about it? We are very proud!

I like it. However few points :
- the RCI zoning icon make me think a bit too much about windows. We have the blue, green and orange, the shape...
- the 3rd icon, I must admit I have no clue what this could be. Maybe when I get the game, I will say "of course that's X" but it's a bit of a mystery for me the way it is.
- Same goes for the 2 icons after the park one. But those I have at least a little idea : monuments and wonders

Very nice. I like the way outside communications is being worked on

There is just one thing I don't like: I don't like the fact that there are these pre-built highways that already exist. A premade simple roads network, why not, but I like to see my city evolve to the point when I build my first highway. I don't like it when it is here already. It feels so unrealistic

1) Can we completely delete the pre-built highways ? you mention being able to re-build them as elevated - but can we demolish them or move them completely ? that was annoying in simcity 2013, that you couldnt move or delete the pre-built highways - or create your own connections between city tiles.

2) will there be pre-built rail tracks also ?

ps : I like the UI, yeah :)

1) Can we completely delete the pre-built highways ? you mention being able to re-build them as elevated - but can we demolish them or move them completely ? that was annoying in simcity 2013, that you couldnt move or delete the pre-built highways - or create your own connections between city tiles.

2) will there be pre-built rail tracks also ?

ps : I like the UI, yeah :)

The pre-built highways can be modified or removed as long as you keep some road network to the outside world as it is needed for people to move into your city and for transporting the goods. In similar way there are train tracks as well.

The pre-built highways can be modified or removed as long as you keep some road network to the outside world as it is needed for people to move into your city and for transporting the goods. In similar way there are train tracks as well.

So you mean we can create new external links or we have to use the existing external links but can remove everything in the area ?

In images :

I have this limits :

XXO
===
XXO

X = outside the possible area - O = the playable area - = is the highway

can I turn that into :

XXO
XXO
===

So you mean we can create new external links or we have to use the existing external links but can remove everything in the area ?

In images :

I have this limits :

XXO
===
XXO

X = outside the possible area - O = the playable area - = is the highway

can I turn that into :

XXO
XXO
===

You can modify connections inside the playable area but cannot create new ones or modify anything that is outside the playable area.

Nice! Looks like you took the saturation out of the game, just like people asked it to be like. This is great! I'm getting more and more excited every day! And, yeah, I like the new AI.

Looking Good. The UI looks nice but the proof of the pudding will be using it.

I was hanging around in the Modding thread earlier which prompts the thought, will the UI itself be moddable?

I only ask because I play Civ 5 and some of the UI mods add a lot of functionality to the game such as extra tool tips and important information readouts.

Still a little worried about sizing (Dock & Freight station), but I realise it's alpha and I don't know if these are modular buildings hat can be added to.

I hope that all buildings will be unlockable from scratch in some way for those that aren't interested in that type of gameplay and only wants to build the city of their dreams.

Some normal buildings should also generate tourism. Every skyscraper should have a small boost to tourism for example (and grouped together they can give a large boost).

We should be able to build rental car stations in proximity of large entry points like airports, ports and large train stations. Just because someone arrives by airplane doesn't mean he/she won't have access to a car during the stay.

What I missed in this diary are more in-depth about how tourism works. Do we need to build hotels or do they always find someplace to sleep regardless? Will hotels even be a special kind of building?

The graphics and UI are looking great! I notice that the colours have been toned down compared to the previous dev diary. It's much better like this! (In my opinion, at least!)

I have to say the train station depicted in this dev diary looks a little bit bland and lacking in details. The port buildings don't seem quite right either. They are very small. For the sake of immersion and general awesomeness, it would be nice if we could create large port/harbor areas.

Of course the game is still in development. I'm looking forward to the next dev diary!

Ok, so you mean that we cannot have an island for initial game. In this case there wouldn't be absolutely highway or railway tracks in the outer part of the map. What a pity! I liked playing with big islands in Sim City 4. :sad: (In that case we would have of course outside connections with harbours and airports).

I really do like the UI, and most of the icons are understandable just by looking at them... except for the 3rd, 13th and 14th ones (the 3rd one is next to the RCI zoning icon. The 13th and 14th ones are after the tree icon and before the $ icon). What do they represent? Terrain tool, landmarks and secret societies?

EDIT: Here are the ones I mean:

IlluminatiConfirmed_zps709ee130.png

Last edited: