• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
KY6usqj.png

Hi dudes and dudettes! We are back with yet another development diary and this time we'll take a closer look at the various natural resources that are at your disposal when you are building the city of your dreams.

You can check the previous dev diaries here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?802652-Cities-Skylines-dev-diary-archive!

Natural resource types
When we started to design how the maps would look like in Cities: Skylines and what they should have in them we came to the conclusion that rather than being just a stage where the player builds their city, the maps should have a more meaningful role. With the highways and railways crisscrossing the map and the water areas providing challenges for expanding cities, the natural resources work as a reward for expanding strategically throughout the map.

LoyrGB0.jpg

Info view for natural resources showing the different resources as they are located in the map. To the east you have ore on the slopes of the mountain and to the north you can see an oil field. The starting tile has fertile land for those who fancy agriculture.

There are four types of resources in Cities: Skylines: oil, ore, forests and fertile land. Resources are scattered around the map and once the player has expanded their city limits to encompass a map tile with one or more resources they are able to access them through the policies feature (if they have already reached the correct milestone to unlock Districts and Policies).

Natural resources are divided into two categories: renewable and non-renewable. Forests and fertile land belong to the renewable resources while oil and ore are non-renewable. As long as the player doesn't pollute the land or bulldoze forests, these renewable resources are always available for them to use. While oil and ore deposits are very large and contain a lot of units to extract, at some point they will deplete.

sTrbs03.jpg

Forestry is a good alternative to regular industry where the profit is slightly higher without risking drastic effects on the environment.

9gIbrTf.jpg

Agriculture introduces farm animals alongside wheat fields and apple tree gardens.

Accessing the natural resources
Using the various natural resources is quite simple. Once the player has set up industrial zones on top of the natural resource they are after, they can go to the District tool and create a district that envelopes the area and then assign one of the Industrial specialization policies to that district. As time goes on the industry starts to change to the designated type of industry until the whole district is of that particular industry type. The policy creates both extractors and processing plants (refineries and so forth) if a natural resource deposit is available. Similarly, if the player should want to return to the regular industry, they can simply switch off the policy.

EGnzMTd.jpg

Heavy machinery is required to gain access to the riches beneath the surface. Note for future city builders: With heavy machinery comes also noise pollution.

Even if there is no resource deposit in the area the policy still creates industry of the chosen type. However, these factories are only processing plants that import raw resources elsewhere (either from another part of the city or outside of the city). Extractors such as oil drills are not needed or usable without the proper deposit available.

Effect on economy and environment
Non-renewable resources yield a big boost to the economy of the city. These specialized industries generate noticeably more tax income than regular industry. However, their impact to the environment is drastic and they generate ground pollution at a much higher rate compared to regular industry. Oil and ore industry also require more electricity to run.

WOvr0bT.jpg

While oil industry is very profitable, its effects on the environment are clearly visible as the trees in the area start to wither due to heavy ground pollution.

Renewable resources on the other hand yield a smaller boost to the economy but due to their nature, they are for all intents and purposes infinite. Forestry's impact on the environment is a bit heavier than regular industry's but it requires less electricity to run than oil and ore industry. Agriculture doesn't pollute ground but in turn it requires lots of fresh water to keep the irrigation systems working. It yields a similar boost to economy as forestry and it also provides organic foods to shops in the city (organic farming policy creates healthier food that boosts citizens' well being).

iRWnqIK.jpg

Agriculture yields less profit than the heavy industry but their impact on the environment is next to nothing. Also the bright colored buildings and farmland create a nice atmosphere when accompanied by gravel roads.

Natural resources and power plants
Oil and ore can be used to run oil power plant and coal power plant, respectively. Each power plants has a reserve when they are built but once the reserve runs out, they require correct fuel from either the local specialized industry or from outside the city. These power plants work the same way whether the city has its own resource production or not. However, setting up, for example, ore industry and having a coal power plant to buy the goods they produce the player can make sure that they get the most tax income due to the mutual benefit gained from local industry (ore industry) selling their products to another local entity (the coal power plant).

OSIg3RG.jpg

Oil and ore industry can ship their goods to the local power plants. That way it is easier to keep the fuel reserves stocked.

Outside trading
All industry in Cities: Skylines aims to sell its goods to the local businesses and city services that require them. However, if they detect that there is overabundance of goods in production, they will sell their wares to the outside world. Similarly if the player decides to access specialized industry but doesn't have proper resource deposits at their disposal, the newly created industry will import goods for them to process further and then again trade with the local businesses and certain city services or ship the goods back to the outside world.

vyiEbj1.jpg

Trucks like the blue one in the picture haul cargo within the city limits as well as outside of the city. When planning industrial zones it is also important to plan roads well to allow cargo to move efficiently.

- Henkka also known as an artist, designer and level designer at Colossal Order

I see. Would it be possible for the engine to spawn plots that are similar to those next to them so you would have groups of grain farms clustered together giving the appearance of a larger farm? The checkerboard effect with livestock next to grain doesn't look so nice imho. Also, it might help to reduce the number of those big bouncy looking agro-buildings (say, 1 in 20 plots as opposed to every second one). Just my two cents of course. Don't let that take away from the rest of the DD which looks great.

Great to see you guys liking the idea with the resources! And amazing to see so many translations already :)

Just to stress the point. I know you guys are listening. Bigger farms please! (or at least please remove the fences as you are considering)

We sure are listening! And I promise we'll look into the farms, as they are now limited in size like all the other zoned buildings.

Hmm... this is nice, though now I'm quite interested in trading ...

Because trading also extends to the service industry (offices), but does service industry (commercial and offices) also engage in trading?

Also, will there be policies that affects trading as well?

Hello Guys

Instead of emphasizing the smallness of the farms I'd like to give my input by asking how the terrain will be changed, when you place a field on a hillside. Will it be flattened?
(Please not) If not, I imagine a corn field on a hill won't look too realistic.
I would suggest you could implement vineyards and the possibility of a restriction for agricultural zones placed on a steep hill. Only vineards or grassy fields for cows would spawn
there. This modulation would contribute to the realism of the game. It would fit to european landscapes.

I only suggest this now because I believe after the release a mod will not be able to simulate this idea. To program such a restriction one would have to have access to hardcoded content.

By the way, I'm looking forward to the game. You've got one certain purchaser.;)

Looks nice. Can we assume then that the maps come with pre-made highways and railways? In that case, I hope we can destroy them because I would like to make my own highway interchanges and such...

A couple of other ideas/suggestions following on from co_fiirdraak's post:

Removing the fences from the plot edges would definitely be a good start, and Sinbuster's suggestion of having some way to group the same types side by side would help to give a more cohesive visual impression. However you're still then stuck with a thin ribbon of farm (4 squares deep alongside a road - or 8 squares deep between a grid of dirt tracks). Maybe instead of larger plots, fields could be allowed to develop with only indirect access to the road (i.e. through another field plot)? You've got screenshots of tractors driving in and out of fields, so just have them drive a little further away from the road into a second field! :)

Poor diagram:

====== < Road

######
###### < Field 1 (accessed from Road)
######
######

######
###### < Field 2 (accessed from Field 1)
######
######

Also, Fiirdraak explained that zones are limited to 4x4 to make sure the algorithm can mix and match different sizes to fit the freeform zoned areas - how will fields look on a curved roads? Are there smaller 2x and 1x field plots to infill, and what about the small gaps that emerge between plots where the squares don't directly align? This may play into Dolans query about fields on hills too.

On zoning resource-based industry when there is no resource present:

1) Maybe you could make farm outbuildings/processing facilities only appear outside of the productive fertile land so you only get fields (of one sort or another, preference for food crops) where there actually is rich farmland.

2) Maybe agricultural zoning on unfertile land could still produce fields (greater preference towards cattle or sheep which only graze) but crop fields are more polluting than on fertile land (greater need for fertilizers), or even industrial-scale greenhouses.

Whilst I adore this method of resource extraction, zoning and letting cims build their own facilities over a specific deposit, I question the wisdom of following this model for agriculture. I'm just wondering, who is that supposed to please? People who want the biggest, best, most profitable cities will surely favour office space over crop fields (I'm assuming the former is more lucrative than the latter) and those who want to build a small farming community will not appreciate being restricted to a small portion of land for all their farms, nor will they like the small size of farms that are tied to roads.

I don't feel I'll be personally affected by this as I don't usually focus on farming communities and especially with no region system I don't think I'll be building any such places, but I'm just concerned with who the farming system here is supposed to appeal to. It's a more gamey thing when applied to agriculture (although as I said I love the idea of true resources like wood, coal, oil etc being handled this way) but people who are just gaming (as opposed to immersing themselves in building a city) probably won't really get any satisfaction out of farms anyway. They'd just be an early game money boost, to be replaced by offices and homes when appropriate. And those who are building a small farming town for aesthetics will no doubt want more freedom.

Looks great. I love the zoning and districts for resource extraction. It feels so natural. The farms look a bit small, but I hope you do something about them. I heard about removing the fences and that would help. A little bit surprised to see no ground pollution from farms. At least have a bit if ground pollution from chemical pesticides and manure runoff.

Also, the organic farming should instead increase happiness of uneducated citizens, decrease it for educated citizens, and lower well being of citizens. ;)

About the farm sizes
The spawning system of zoneable buildings (this includes farmlands, too) is designed to work best with lots the size of 4x4 and smaller. This is partly due to the freeform nature of the world and the way the game tries to fill the zoneable areas most efficiently. Therefore having larger spawnable buildings could lead to them spawning rarely due to their size as the game would try to find suitable locations for them to spawn and at the same time make the areas so that there would be as few left-over cells between the different buildings as possible. However, we are talking about the possibility to remove the fences between the different farm plots to make it visually more appealing.

That's an unfortunate decision to make farms work like buildings. Only farm houses should. You already have natural resources and forests, which can be any size or shape. Why not use this mechanic to make the farm land? Then you can make the farms a lot bigger. You could limiting them by roads (such as dirt roads), so the zoned tiles turn into farm buildings, but the rest turns into farm land.

Essentially: If there is a 'farm house', the nearby area turns into a farm limited by A) road (and buildings), B) district limit or C) a predefined max radius, which ever comes first. Of course, it won't overlap any existing farm land.

Most of the dev diary is very interesting, but the way farms are handled sounds very strange to me.

First off, they should be major polluters--runoff from agriculture is a strong contributor to surface water pollution, and large farms also contribute to groundwater depletion. Regulation of these issues should reduce farm profitability.

Second, why should local farms produce organic food? In strong agricultural areas, most of the food is not organic and is simply meant to be processed for export as ordinary, run-of-the-mill foodstuffs. Organic farming might be something your residents are inclined to do, based on demographics or incentives, but it should hardly be assumed. In particular, organic farming should not proliferate in cities where people don't have the income to buy these luxury goods.

I'm not a huge fan of "non-renewable" ressources. Of course it's more realistic but I'd like to think a city that has reached a point of stability could stay as it is for as long as we want.

I hope there will be an option for this... or that a mod will be created in that way. ;)

Most of the dev diary is very interesting, but the way farms are handled sounds very strange to me.
I like the way farms and industry are handled on the district level, but the lack of decent lot sizes prevents any realism.

Generally, buildings seem to be pretty cramped next to each other. There are no proper distances maintained whatsoever. I really hope there will be some means of designating greens, playgrounds, driveways, parking lots and walkways around those buildings on release. Or, medium desity zoning will be finally included to help adding some space between buildings on the zoning level.

I do like the combination of district height restrictions and zone density, so you can indirectly say how much inter-building space you want.

Two questions to the Devs:

1.) "organic farming policy creates healthier food that boosts citizens' well being" <--- Do you mean "well being" in a medical sense? Are they actually healthier, if "organic" food is produced in your city?

I'm sorry, but "organic" food is in no way better or healthier than food that is not arbitrarily labeled "organic" (this label is completely meaningless, since it does not address nutritional value, but only the way the crop was treated). It is less intense (less pollution) and has less yield, therefor it is more expensive. It should not make citizens "healthier", but it should produce less pollution. This should impact citizens indirectly (less pollution makes your people happy and healthy, I guess).

2.) Your ore mines look weird and tiny. Is there one big ore mine (like 6times as large) too or do you have plans implementing things like that. Of course, it's only a simulation, but in real life ore mines are HUUUUGGGGEEEE. The machinery alone would be bigger than some of the surrounding industry buildings.

Last edited:
Two questions to the Devs:

1.) "organic farming policy creates healthier food that boosts citizens' well being" <--- Do you mean "well being" in a medical sense? Are they actually healthier, if "organic" food is produced in your city?

I'm sorry, but "organic" food is in no way better or healthier than food that is not arbitrarily labeled "organic" (this label is completely meaningless, since it does not address nutritional value, but only the way the crop was treated). It is less intense (less pollution) and has less yield, therefor it is more expensive. It should not make citizens "healthier", but it should produce less pollution. This should impact citizens indirectly (less pollution makes your people happy and healthy, I guess).

2.) Your ore mines look weird and tiny. Is there one big ore mine (like 6times as large) too or do you have plans implementing things like that. Of course, it's only a simulation, but in real life ore mines are HUUUUGGGGEEEE. The machinery alone would be bigger than some of the surrounding industry buildings.

In the stream, they looked at an ore mine in Priton (the pretty town in the second trailer) towards the end and they said that most of it was just placeholder. But I do agree with you, maybe ore mines can be just like farms, they need to be bigger. They do seem a bit small.

Nice!

How moddable is all that system? Can I complexify the system ad nauseam? 4 Resources is a bit short. Can there be more than one processing level (for instance: Ore -> Steel -> cars). Can you have a system where a processed product requires more than one input?

Last edited: