• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi there, you city builder aficionados! Once again it is the time for another exciting story from the pages of developer diaries. I am your humble host, Henkka, and I am here to talk about zoning. So, gather around by the fire and let your imagination fly...

Oh, and in case you missed the previous entry to the dev diaries, here it is: Dev Diary 1: Roads.

Basics of zoning (or "Why zoning instead of manually placing all buildings?")
If the roads are the bones of the city, then the zones are the meat around the bones. Very early on in the development process it was clear that we wanted the game to feature a zoning tool instead of placing the myriad of the regular buildings manually. With zoning the player's job is to rule where the different types of buildings appear but it is the citizens' (that is the game's) job to actually move in and build the new houses, shops and factories, all according to the different needs of the city. The player can determine what the city requires and when by using the RCI indicator in the GUI.

While discussing the possible ways to build a city a few ways emerged: placing buildings individually and zoning. While individual placing of buildings seemed interesting and in theory allowed the player to create the exact city they wanted it became clear that creating large cities would be difficult and cumbersome. The sheer amount of buildings needed to place would turn the game into an editor rather than a city builder. Also problems would arise with the needs of the city conflicting with the artistic visions of the player: the player would want to build 10 tenements in an area while the game calculated the city required only 3. Communicating this kind of information that is always changing as the game progresses would be impractical. And as the city grows and new technological levels are reached, the player would need to manually upgrade all the buildings in the city which in the end would mean going through thousands upon thousands of buildings.

Zoning on the other hand simulates more closely city planning on the higher level where the city planners lay down guidelines and rules for citizens and companies to work in. We decided that zoning is the way to go in a game of this scale. And clever city planners can take advantage of the various zoning tools and have more control over the zoneable buildings than just painting large areas if they so choose. For example, instead of zoning the full depth of the zone grid (4 cells) the player can zone thinner slices, like 2 cell deep areas, that spawn smaller building fitting the 2 cell deep restriction.

Zone types
Cities: Skylines features three main categories for zoning: residential, commercial and workplaces. All three are divided into two types, low and high density for residential and commercial, and industry and offices for workplaces.

3g80fay.png

Residential areas are the backbone of your city. Detached houses such as the ones on low density residential zones are inviting to older people and families with kids. High density residential apartment buildings on the other hand serve the needs of younger adults who value cheaper living costs among other things.

Each zone type serves different groups of citizens even though some overlapping occurs. For example, low density residential building are favored by families with young children and seniors while high density buildings are favored by young adults and families with no children. Low and high density commercial building work in a similar way: different citizen groups choose one zone type over the other if both are available in the city and can be accessed by good road connections.

While most of the workplaces are in the industrial and office zones commercial zones create workplaces as well even though their main function is to sell goods to citizens and accept goods deliveries from local industry. The first to unlock in the workplaces is the industrial zone which creates factories of all sizes according to workplace demand. Industrial efficiency is connected to the quality of workforce (workers' education) as well as their ability to ship goods they produce and if all the stores and shops in the city have full storages industry can stagnate until the issue is solved by providing new businesses or outside connections to ship their goods to. Offices, just like the high density residential and commercial zones, unlocks later in the game when the city is able to provide workers who are adequetly educated to perform in those jobs.

OtE3A1M.png

Zoning some high density commercial areas.

Zoning tools
In Cities: Skylines there are various tools for zoning, each having its uses.

Fill tool lets the player zone large areas on one click. This tool is especially useful with city blocks of small and medium sizes since it can fill them on one go.

Marquee tool allows the player to click and drag an area of their choosing and zone huge areas at once. The margquee tool aligns itself with the grid if the drawing of the area starts next to a zone grid.

The game also features two zoning brushes, a small and a large brush. With these brushes the player can paint zoned areas. The only thing that needs to keep in mind is that the zones have to reach the road or otherwise the buildings won't spawn.

0Fb4tz2.png

Large zoning brush in action.

Building leveling – Residential
Each zoned building has a level. This refers to the education level of the inhabitants, the land value in the neighborhood and the services available close by. As the citizens are educated and the overall quality of life increases with new city service offerings, the buildings gain levels. Lower levels have fewer requirements, for example they require only some of the city services. Lower levels on the other hand have bigger negative impact on the surroundings from polluting factories to residential buildings generating more garbage. The highest levels require full city service coverage as well as great commercial and workplace connections to keep up their standard of living.

Building leveling – Commercial
Similarly to residential buildings commercial buildings require that their neighborhood is at a suitable standard to level up and be able to offer services to higher level citizens (level 1 has general stores while level 3 has designer shops and so on). In most cases the bonuses granted by the presence of city services and the high enough land value will eventually lead commercial buildings to achieve conditions to level up. Unlike residential levels, commercial and industrial buildings with higher levels require workers with higher education. Almost every workplace has some level 0 jobs but in order to get the most out of a 3rd level workplace it requires staff with proper levels of education.

Building leveling – Industrial / Office
Workplaces like industrial buildings and offices level up when the surrounding conditions are met. Land value plays an important role for achieving higher levels and worker education levels are equally important to be able to run the businesses after said leveling has happened. Industry in particular experiences drastic changes when reaching highest level: goods produced are of the highest quality and pollution which is a trademark of lower level factories and such is a thing of the past.

IGBc7W7.png

Offices don't create pollution which is why they can be safely zoned next to a residential area.

Offices unlock at a later stage since they require even more educated personnel to be functional. Once the player reaches this level and is able to really start educating their citizens with the higher level of schools they can choose to switch to office workplaces instead of industry on the expense that it might not create as much tax income as the more polluting yet profitable regular industry.

- Henkka also known as an artist, designer and level designer at Colossal Order

That's not even remotely the same thing. I'm wondering if you even read your own link. Or maybe you just completely don't understand what I was asking for a source for.
You were after an example of using government policy to segregate the rich and the poor. Redlining was precisely that, used as a way of keeping poor people - who in this case happened to be predominantly African American - confined to areas wealthy people didn't want, by limiting finance availability.

Reactions:
You were after an example of using government policy to segregate the rich and the poor. Redlining was precisely that, used as a way of keeping poor people - who in this case happened to be predominantly African American - confined to areas wealthy people didn't want, by limiting finance availability.
It wasn't a government policy, as your link even says the government ended up creating legislation to fight it, it was something done by private corporations for various reasons and it wasn't, according to your link, anything to do with confining anyone to a specific geographical location. The only link it seems to have to the government is that it was an inadvertent side effect of providing low cost social housing. Geographical locations were simply used as a basis for discriminating against the people in those areas that the corporations felt should be denied service. Regardless of their wealth level. This was based on the fact that the areas were already poor and didn't offer very good security on loans, according to your own link. This caused urban decay and caused the area to become even poorer but the two critical things are:
1. It wasn't a government policy and 2. Even if it was, it was not a zoning policy saying "you're too wealthy to live in this area now bugger off". Rather, the land value for somewhere where you couldn't get a lot of services was no doubt abysmal, which leads back to what I was saying all along. You'll note I don't have a problem with district policies that encourage certain wealth levels, my example being subsidized housing costs which would encourage more low wealth residents into an area. What I object to is the notion that you could zone areas as "high wealth" or "low wealth" and the wrong class simply aren't allowed to be there. That's absurd.

clip...

So I guess what I'd like to see is four distinct categories, and I'd echo calls for medium density. I also think it should be possible to have ordinances, much as previous SimCity games, but you should be able to 'zone' them - so this area can't produce too much pollution (yes, this may make it unattractive), or this other area can't be allowed to become too wealthy (allowing you to effectively depict social housing projects). The two factors, wealth and density must also remain distinct, but the extra level of control that ordinances could offer means you needn't have to delete a park just to prevent the middle class moving in.

Yes Overlays/Ordinance over specific squares would be great. Your idea about limiting pollution would be a great way to maintain the on 'industry/office' zone as where you want offices only you can just assign an overlay that says no pollution allowed.

All city maps are made up of 25 2x2 squares in a 5x5 grid, of which you can create a city consisting of 9 squares (by default). When you untether your game I believe that will allow you to be able to build on all 25 squares per city not unlimited space (unless modded into the game). The game is optimized for 36km2 and a population of a million cims and you are on your own should you choose to go beyond that.

The devs mentioned in the stream that you can turn off the city size limit.

Great to hear, I live in Australia which has very large cities (especially in terms of land) not metropolis (I define a metropolis as multiply cites linked together) and I would dream of reproducing Melbourne but if we can get Adelaide/Perth I would be happy.

What I believe should be interesting is the appreciation of land value, and its heavy relationship with the transportation network. To put it simple: the harder it is to move, the denser will be a city ; the easier it is to move, the more the city will sprawl.

Cities before the rail age were particularly dense because people simply couldn't move really far. Most people then were living in the same building they were working in. This usually resulted in a very high real estate value in a very narrow center, and a very low real estate value in the unaccessible surroundings. When rail appeared, it allowed the land value to raise in the surrounding areas, cities to sprawl and specialization between business and residential areas. Then freeways pushed the thing even further. An extensive freeway network over an open area makes cities sprawl to the max, with suburban office campuses emerging instead of skyscrapers in the center. It's the transportation system which shapes density in a city.

The logic of what is an attractive area or not is firstly a matter of accessibility, and if accessibility is good then it can be further increased by parks and so on. Generally, a city earns money from taxes which are correlated with land value. If the price per square meter is getting more expensive, then more tax money will be earned by the city council without even changing rates. It would be really cool to me if the square meter price would be used as a basis to calculate collected taxes, maybe that's too complicated to implement.

But anyway, the success of urban planning, controlling densification or preventing sprawl, should depend on its ability to fit with the attractiveness of the different city areas, this one being mostly based on the available infrastructures.

Indeed In traffic engineering classes the teach us about a golden rule people will only travel (on average or at a significant cost to there social/family life) 1 hour to get to work this rule link to housing density should be modelled some how.

There are similar things around walking to public transport going to a park/shop/etc. For example someone may walk to a local shopping strip but if they need to get into their car to get there they would be likely just to go drive to the nearest shopping centre (mall)

Great to hear, I live in Australia which has very large cities (especially in terms of land) not metropolis (I define a metropolis as multiply cites linked together) and I would dream of reproducing Melbourne but if we can get Adelaide/Perth I would be happy.

A metropolis is a large conurbation. The word you are thinking of (linked cities) is megalopolis.

A metropolis is a large conurbation. The word you are thinking of (linked cities) is megalopolis.

Guess I should look up the words before speculating...lol

1: Will there be a possibility for a "mixed zone" or some kind of "city center zone"?
Many cities, especially those in europe, have a city center with old 18th and 19th century structure. Here, buildings tend to have shops/commercial units on the first floor, and residents on the 2nd floor. See the image:
Meltzersgate9_fasade_001_low.jpg

2: Will the city center have buildings that "share walls" (don't know an english word for this). Typically, this means city center buildings that are cramped together in tight spaces, like here in Barcelona (see image)
barcelona-from-above.jpg

3: Will you be able to "lock" building types? In Sim City 3000, you could make a building historical and it wouldn't change. With that, you could make areas with a lot of similar-looking buildings. Like here in Oslo (see image)
Vestli.jpg

This was a cool feature in CiM2, where you could place buildings yourself in the editor.

Hey H-konz, welcome to the forum. I can answer a few of these for you:

1. As far as I know, the simulation has trouble with mixed zones - something to do with residential buildings being separate from commercial. Here's a thread discussing it: Mixed zones Make sure to check the livestreams where they mention this in one of them.

2. I think the term you're looking for is 'wall-to-wall'. I've linked a thread for you discussing this, and it includes a comment from the developers: Wall-to-wall buildings

3. Haven't heard anything about this yet. I too was a big fan of this feature. Hopefully we'll see something like it in C:S.

I posted this in the Steam forum for this game and I wanted to re-post it here as I feel that it is relevant and a response to this dev diary post. Also, I've just joined these forums as I'm very interested in this game and the community, so I want to share my thought on this topic. I'm not re-posting this because I'm trying to encourage the devs to respond, I'm sure they are very busy and there's no way that they can respond to everything and it is not the end of the world if I never get a response, I will survive (maybe :) ). Anyways, sorry for the long-winded disclaimer, I really just want to share my thoughts with a larger audience :) :

Hi devs,
I'm very excited and interested in this game and am very happy to see you being active on these forums and with community in general. I have a question/comment about manually placing buildings:

In Dev Diary 2: Zoning
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?804803-Cities-Skylines-Dev-Diary-2-Zoning
You discuss zoning v. manually placing buildings and I agree with and understand your ideas as to why go with zoning instead of manual placement, but these things don't have to be mutually exclusive. In other words, you could have both mechanics in the game. This exists in SimCity 2013 via a mod (Cities: Skylines is looking much better than SC 2013 to me btw) and allows you to either zone or place a building manually.
I think giving the player the choice to zone or place thier buildings manually is a rather empowering mechanic for a city builder and something that I know I would personally enjoy.

At any rate, I'm very much looking forward to the release of this game and would like to thank you again for listening and responding to the community.

I loved everything being said in the road diary. I'm not as optimistic about this one. It still leaves some big questions.

Will I be able to control and limit growth in some way? Because I would very much like to build a city consisting mainly of 3-4 story buildings of all wealth levels, but I'd also like to offer good education and health care for all the citizens.

So is there a way to say that, for example, this block shall not go up more than to level 5 and not below level 3, and it should consist of working class residents and not become high-end condos?

What I basically are asking for are more control over what we get in the areas we zone. As of now it just seems uneccessary complex without actually adding anything interesting to the game.

When we zone there should be an advanced option that we can chose and in there specify some rules for the zones:
- Max level.
- Minimum level (if requirements are not met, nothing should be built).
- Those two criterias would also, if I understood the blog correctly, allow us to control the education level. I don't want all buildings to go to the highest level just because I build the perfect city in terms of services. Still need some people to do the dirty work.

And then of course it is the problem with only two zone levels. There's a huge difference between 3-5 story apartment buildings and 15-30 story apartment buildings. They shouldn't be grouped together.

I love most of what I've seen of this game and I think it will be great. But unfortunately, zoning are still an area where I think much work still has to be done and changes be made.

Completely agree with this guy! Give us more options for zoning please. Medium density would be a start, but even better would be an optional "detailed zoning" where we can specify if we want certain housing / businesses in a zone. Much like real life, the city government sometimes sets very strict restrictions on what can be built in certain areas. I don't want many ploppables, but I don't want only 6 zoning options either.

First, let me begin with saying how much I'm looking forward to see Skylines released. I read the Dev Diary for road and found it very exciting.

But the zoning does not seem to be a significant improvement compared to what we saw in the SC series, or in Cities XL. Instead of using abstractions like "high density" vs. "low density", why not looking into the way this is usually done in the real world (tm), i.e. zoning policies?

There are several variables here, (1) density, i.e. what is the ratio between the buildings, and the spaces between them; (2) size of the built-over area, i.e. one-family houses, vs. apartment blocks; and (3) height of the buildings, i.e. two-storey offices, vs. 100-storey skyscrapers.

Using these variables, the player would be able to adjust the development of a city much more precisely as compared to assigning an area to be "high density commercial", what ever that seems to mean. It also would help to avoid the construction of skyscrapers in a mid-sized suburb, for example :)

And this could be taken a step further by using a kind of simplified floor-space index to calculate how much residential, commercial or industrial "need" is being serviced by the building.

The level concept, on the other hand, should not be influences directly by the player, but should indeed by the result of factory like land-value, overall density, reachability and so on.

Last edited:
First, let me begin with saying how much I'm looking forward to see Skylines released. I read the Dev Diary for road and found it very exciting.

But the zoning does not seem to be a significant improvement compared to what we saw in the SC series, or in Cities XL. Instead of using abstractions like "high density" vs. "low density", why not looking into the way this is usually done in the real world (tm), i.e. zoning policies?

There are several variables here, (1) density, i.e. what is the ratio between the buildings, and the spaces between them; (2) size of the built-over area, i.e. one-family houses, vs. apartment blocks; and (3) height of the buildings, i.e. two-storey offices, vs. 100-storey skyscrapers.

Using these variables, the player would be able to adjust the development of a city much more precisely as compared to assigning an area to be "high density commercial", what ever that seems to mean. It also would help to avoid the construction of skyscrapers in a mid-sized suburb, for example :)

And this could be taken a step further by using a kind of simplified floor-space index to calculate how much residential, commercial or industrial "need" is being serviced by the building.

The level concept, on the other hand, should not be influences directly by the player, but should indeed by the result of factory like land-value, overall density, reachability and so on.

I would definitely like this in the game, as one of the policies you could change in the districts. I really hope buildings can be put tightly together because that's how it really is in urban cities.

Hi there, you city builder aficionados! Once again it is the time for another exciting story from the pages of developer diaries. I am your humble host, Henkka, and I am here to talk about zoning. So, gather around by the fire and let your imagination fly...

Oh, and in case you missed the previous entry to the dev diaries, here it is: Dev Diary 1: Roads.

Basics of zoning (or "Why zoning instead of manually placing all buildings?")
If the roads are the bones of the city, then the zones are the meat around the bones. Very early on in the development process it was clear that we wanted the game to feature a zoning tool instead of placing the myriad of the regular buildings manually. With zoning the player's job is to rule where the different types of buildings appear but it is the citizens' (that is the game's) job to actually move in and build the new houses, shops and factories, all according to the different needs of the city. The player can determine what the city requires and when by using the RCI indicator in the GUI.

While discussing the possible ways to build a city a few ways emerged: placing buildings individually and zoning. While individual placing of buildings seemed interesting and in theory allowed the player to create the exact city they wanted it became clear that creating large cities would be difficult and cumbersome. The sheer amount of buildings needed to place would turn the game into an editor rather than a city builder. Also problems would arise with the needs of the city conflicting with the artistic visions of the player: the player would want to build 10 tenements in an area while the game calculated the city required only 3. Communicating this kind of information that is always changing as the game progresses would be impractical. And as the city grows and new technological levels are reached, the player would need to manually upgrade all the buildings in the city which in the end would mean going through thousands upon thousands of buildings.

Zoning on the other hand simulates more closely city planning on the higher level where the city planners lay down guidelines and rules for citizens and companies to work in. We decided that zoning is the way to go in a game of this scale. And clever city planners can take advantage of the various zoning tools and have more control over the zoneable buildings than just painting large areas if they so choose. For example, instead of zoning the full depth of the zone grid (4 cells) the player can zone thinner slices, like 2 cell deep areas, that spawn smaller building fitting the 2 cell deep restriction.

Zone types
Cities: Skylines features three main categories for zoning: residential, commercial and workplaces. All three are divided into two types, low and high density for residential and commercial, and industry and offices for workplaces.

3g80fay.png

Residential areas are the backbone of your city. Detached houses such as the ones on low density residential zones are inviting to older people and families with kids. High density residential apartment buildings on the other hand serve the needs of younger adults who value cheaper living costs among other things.

Each zone type serves different groups of citizens even though some overlapping occurs. For example, low density residential building are favored by families with young children and seniors while high density buildings are favored by young adults and families with no children. Low and high density commercial building work in a similar way: different citizen groups choose one zone type over the other if both are available in the city and can be accessed by good road connections.

While most of the workplaces are in the industrial and office zones commercial zones create workplaces as well even though their main function is to sell goods to citizens and accept goods deliveries from local industry. The first to unlock in the workplaces is the industrial zone which creates factories of all sizes according to workplace demand. Industrial efficiency is connected to the quality of workforce (workers' education) as well as their ability to ship goods they produce and if all the stores and shops in the city have full storages industry can stagnate until the issue is solved by providing new businesses or outside connections to ship their goods to. Offices, just like the high density residential and commercial zones, unlocks later in the game when the city is able to provide workers who are adequetly educated to perform in those jobs.

OtE3A1M.png

Zoning some high density commercial areas.

Zoning tools
In Cities: Skylines there are various tools for zoning, each having its uses.

Fill tool lets the player zone large areas on one click. This tool is especially useful with city blocks of small and medium sizes since it can fill them on one go.

Marquee tool allows the player to click and drag an area of their choosing and zone huge areas at once. The margquee tool aligns itself with the grid if the drawing of the area starts next to a zone grid.

The game also features two zoning brushes, a small and a large brush. With these brushes the player can paint zoned areas. The only thing that needs to keep in mind is that the zones have to reach the road or otherwise the buildings won't spawn.

0Fb4tz2.png

Large zoning brush in action.

Building leveling – Residential
Each zoned building has a level. This refers to the education level of the inhabitants, the land value in the neighborhood and the services available close by. As the citizens are educated and the overall quality of life increases with new city service offerings, the buildings gain levels. Lower levels have fewer requirements, for example they require only some of the city services. Lower levels on the other hand have bigger negative impact on the surroundings from polluting factories to residential buildings generating more garbage. The highest levels require full city service coverage as well as great commercial and workplace connections to keep up their standard of living.

Building leveling – Commercial
Similarly to residential buildings commercial buildings require that their neighborhood is at a suitable standard to level up and be able to offer services to higher level citizens (level 1 has general stores while level 3 has designer shops and so on). In most cases the bonuses granted by the presence of city services and the high enough land value will eventually lead commercial buildings to achieve conditions to level up. Unlike residential levels, commercial and industrial buildings with higher levels require workers with higher education. Almost every workplace has some level 0 jobs but in order to get the most out of a 3rd level workplace it requires staff with proper levels of education.

Building leveling – Industrial / Office
Workplaces like industrial buildings and offices level up when the surrounding conditions are met. Land value plays an important role for achieving higher levels and worker education levels are equally important to be able to run the businesses after said leveling has happened. Industry in particular experiences drastic changes when reaching highest level: goods produced are of the highest quality and pollution which is a trademark of lower level factories and such is a thing of the past.

IGBc7W7.png

Offices don't create pollution which is why they can be safely zoned next to a residential area.

Offices unlock at a later stage since they require even more educated personnel to be functional. Once the player reaches this level and is able to really start educating their citizens with the higher level of schools they can choose to switch to office workplaces instead of industry on the expense that it might not create as much tax income as the more polluting yet profitable regular industry.

- Henkka also known as an artist, designer and level designer at Colossal Order

I'm looking forward what to come in 2015! This game will do just fine! So I hope next week is more information to come. Happy New Years 2015! And the Policy's in-game is looking good. :cool:

Great! ^_^
What I really found interesting is that the higher level factories produce higher quality goods. That's a very nice touch! One question, though. Does the quality of the goods affect the quality of commercial areas, or certain cims? More specifically, does higher quality goods make cims happier? Are they only available in certain commercial area levels? Also, what qualifies as a higher quality good (if that's applicable)? Thanks! ^_^

Completely agree with this guy! Give us more options for zoning please. Medium density would be a start, but even better would be an optional "detailed zoning" where we can specify if we want certain housing / businesses in a zone. Much like real life, the city government sometimes sets very strict restrictions on what can be built in certain areas. I don't want many ploppables, but I don't want only 6 zoning options either.
I know to a degree you have limited control, as for example there is the "no highrise" policy you can enact (city or district-wide).

Could someone please once and for all clarify how wealth will work in this game? will there be for instance mansions for the rich and trailer parks for the poor? Will there be a clear distinction between wealth or is it just going to be more educated people living in the same looking houses as the poorer citizens?

Could someone please once and for all clarify how wealth will work in this game? will there be for instance mansions for the rich and trailer parks for the poor? Will there be a clear distinction between wealth or is it just going to be more educated people living in the same looking houses as the poorer citizens?

They once said (I dunno were) that people move when a house comes available. So when you have educated people but none high wealth houses they stay in the poor house. If a high wealth residential comes available though they will move in a mansion.