• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bonus Diary: No Step Back Formable & New Tags

Hello Generals!

I’ve managed to escape the frontlines of Social Media to bring you this dispatch from our Comrades on the Dev Team. I bring tidings of great hope, with reinvigorated pride and national sentiment - Thats right, a full list of the new Tags and Formables!

Lets start with the tags shall we?

Tags

Here is a full list of the Tags coming with No Step Back:
  1. DNZ Danzig
  2. SIL Silesia
  3. KSH Kashubia
  4. DON Don Republic (Through Cossack Branch for Poland)
  5. KUB Kuban Republic (Through Cossack Branch for Poland)
  6. BUK Bukhara
  7. ALT Altay
  8. KAL Kalmykia
  9. KAR Karelia
  10. CRI Crimea
  11. TAT Tatarstan
  12. CIN Chechnya Ingushetia
  13. DAG Dagestan
  14. BYA Buryatia
  15. CKK Chukotka
  16. FER Fareastern Republic
  17. YAK Yakutia
  18. VLA Vladivostok
  19. KKP Karakalpakstan
  20. YAM Yamalia
  21. TAY Taymyria
  22. OVO Ostyak Vogulia
  23. NEN Nenetsia
  24. KOM Komi
  25. ABK Abkhazia
  26. KBK Kabardino Balkaria
  27. NOA North Ossetia
  28. VGE Volga Germany
  29. BSK Bashkortostan
  30. KHI Khiva
  31. UDM Udmurtia
  32. CHU Chuvashia
  33. MEL Mariel

Pretty cool huh? Here’s a quick screenshot I grabbed releasing as many nations from the Soviet Union Republic of Turkic Peoples as possible.
20211112150543_1.jpg

Formables

The new formable tags are as follows:
Turkestan
Mountainous Republic of the Northern Caucasus
Transcaucasia
Siberia
Idel Ural

TagFormed by
Mountainous Republic
controls_state = Dagestan
controls_state = Chechnya-Ingushetia
controls_state = North Ossetia
controls_state = Kabardino-Balkaria
controls_state = Abkhazia
Transcaucasian Republiccontrols_state = Abkhazia
controls_state = Georgia
controls_state = Armenia
controls_state = Azerbaijan
Siberiaoriginal_tag = YYakutia
original_tag = Far Eastern Republic
original_tag = Chukotka
original_tag = Vladivostok
original_tag = Buryatia
original_tag = Taymyria
original_tag = Altai
original_tag = Yamalia
original_tag = Ostyak-Vogulia
original_tag = Tannu Tuva
Idel Ural Republicoriginal_tag = Mari EL
original_tag = Chuvashia
original_tag = Tatarstan
original_tag = Udmurtia
original_tag = Bashkortostan
Turkestan
allowed = {
OR = {
original_tag = TAN # Tannu Tuva
original_tag = KAZ # Kazakhstan
original_tag = UZB # Uzbekistan
original_tag = KYR # Kyrgyzstan
original_tag = TAJ # Tajikistan
original_tag = TMS # Turkmenistan
original_tag = SIK # Sinkiang
original_tag = BUK # Bukhara
original_tag = KHI # Khiva
original_tag = KKP # Karakalpakstan
}
}
available = {
is_subject = no
custom_trigger_tooltip = {
tooltip = form_country_kazakhstan_required_states
controls_state = 402
controls_state = 404
controls_state = 406
controls_state = 407
controls_state = 583
controls_state = 586
controls_state = 587
controls_state = 588
controls_state = 589
controls_state = 590
}
custom_trigger_tooltip = {
tooltip = form_country_uzbekistan_required_states
controls_state = 405
controls_state = 585
controls_state = 830
controls_state = 823
controls_state = 831
}
controls_state = 732 # Kyrgyzstan
controls_state = 742 # Tajikistan
controls_state = 584 # Turkmenistan
controls_state = 832 # Tashauz

I'm not a coder, I'm a social monkey so that meant diddly-squat to me - I'm hoping you in the community made sense of that.

Here is Siberia at its Max
image (5).png

Mountainous Republic:
image (6).png

Idel Ural
image (7).png

Transcaucasia
image (8).png

Furthermore theres a whole host of ways you can expand your empire further by tag switching between nations
20211112145224_1.jpg

20211112145158_1.jpg

That's all for this report, I can hear the chanting of “Release the DLC Now” from the Twitter front so I must get back to the frontlines.

• 84Like
  • 18Love
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
Suggestion: Flag some of the "weirder" tags that the AI generally shouldn't release in peace conferences (such as most of these new ones, Occitania, Brittany, the various Chinese warlords, Vichy France, the Spains, the Conferderacy and all similar Civil War tags, and probably some others), and tell the AI not to release those in peace conferences.
Yes!!!! I'm tired of Occitania being released from Vichy.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Thanks for the new formables, @Meka66! Hope you keep my suggestion to update the old formables back then in the PDXCon, by the way.

Great! I have another suggestion, if you can pass it on: let players somehow release as puppets formable nations. It's a pity that tags like the Mountain Republic, Transcaucasia, Siberia, Greater Netherlands, Austria-Hungary or the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth exist but that I can't release them as puppets and that they can only appear if played by the player.
Me too - it would be nice to create less puppets more strong. Plus it would make "Putting the band back together" more doable and fun.

Suggestion: Flag some of the "weirder" tags that the AI generally shouldn't release in peace conferences (such as most of these new ones, Occitania, Brittany, the various Chinese warlords, Vichy France, the Spains, the Conferderacy and all similar Civil War tags, and probably some others), and tell the AI not to release those in peace conferences.
Too. Guessing: who will take half of the France during every peace deals after defeating Axis (USSR, USA, maybe UK) was fun, when LaR was released, but now it is just annoying.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@Midgeman_Official There's a serious problem you may have already found, maybe not. Sinkiang is under the control of KMT officer Sheng Shicai and its ideology is communism, making him not that legitimate to form Turkstan. If he chooses to form Turkatan, then kicks Chiang away, there will be a China with full cores of middle Asia.

And, as a chinese I think what's the most important is, that my government will be super unhappy with this mechanic. These days EU4 lives hard because recently there's a censor on video games. Considered as "not historical", all EU4 videos or LIVEs or evenkey words in search engine are banned. If this mechanic was loaded, HOI4 may just be unable to survive in China. That doesn't only mean that Paradox will lose a big piece of market, but, which I think is of the MOST importance, that the fans of paradox games in China "WHO PAID THE ULTIMATE PRICE". As a member of HOI4 Chinese Localisation Mod and editors of HOI4 Chinese Wiki (my personal opinion doesn't represent my companies'), I sincerely beg you taking these into your consideration before releasing the next update. I really don't hope to see what we have done to contribute this community end up innothingthe, and the realm of chinese Paradox games' players crushed.

And, it might be an alternative choice, that you can disable Sinkiang from the ability of forming Turkstan, while if other nations form it, cores in Sinkiang can still be got. It may not enough to make China's government completely satisfied, but at least reduces the chance that they decide to ban the game's influence in China forever.

And, I have words for those who may still have a thought about this. I understand your feeling about injustice and bad opinion towards this. But let's just set away disagreements and please have some sympathy for us, that what a huge suffering the vent may bring to hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of paradox players in China.

I hold the belief strongly that all paradox players are in one caring clan, where different languages are spoken, but we are brothers and sisters with no border but similar purport.

The time of "Ô Liberté, que de crimes on commet en ton nom!" should come to the end.

Last edited:
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
I'm sorry, but HOI4 was already banned in China 4 years ago.
In fact only the game was banned, but DLCs were not. And if a chinese purchases a DLC in Steam, he would surprisingly found base game in his or her game list. And because of the recent censor, fans can't watch videos of EU4 in major video platform, but videos of HOI4 still survive, and they're many.

For example, I buy No Step Back only a hour after you can access to the pruchase page.

But if they decided not to just turn an eye to it, chinese players may have to live on illegal copies. That doesn't affect individual games, but when the communication and interaction of players' community can not proceed as usual, it would be the doom of this vibrant and creatively social community.

My goodness I couldn't bear to image that those incredible ideas and hardworking of chinese modders and players just gone with the wind!!!

I'd like to convey that, in China there are so many people playing the same game like you do, arguing how to crush ottoman as Byzantine like you do, working on how to catch Mussolini in Rome as Ethopia like you do, modding with the same codes while reading funny jokes of programmers like you do, cheering for Victoria III like we all do. Despite the gap of languages and media block, in the two side of the world we are doing same things, we are one clan .

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
It's easy to understand the governing logic of ccp: steady but firm, keeping society stable. They think that history simulation may affect the mind of adolescent, making them unable to tell the justice and the trace of true history. In case they do could decline these influence by political tools, all risks must be control (see also covid-19, at least this kind of ideology can be of some good in some unexpected area). If the content are not too offensive to their policy, in other words, not that influential, they'd like to show their mercy. And that's why I beg for your mercy. If show ccp that we are not intend to interfere with their authority, the community of chinese paradox players may be more likely to survive on.

Though there're so many ideas I can't agree with them and consider as old man's thought, but that is my government, under which hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of paradox players are living. That amount shall never be ignored.

Both the Chinese localisation mods for eu4 and hoi4 enjoy one of the most subscribed mods in workshop (what a glory, 'cause I volunteer in both of them, and I know how hard it is when they research and translate about 32008 names of various ships and 53578 names from different culture, or searching through papers or website written in Greek just for a proper translation of a Hellenistic aircraft type designed by french, which would be no problem for languages based on Latin alphabet because there's no need for translation. Their hard work completely deserve these records ). How sad if these things just vanish!

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Can you rename Republic of Turkic Peoples into Turkistan and make the western part of it a new releasable called Western Russia (everything west of the Urals)? Maybe make the Transcaucasian Republic encompass all of the Caucuses?

Reactions:
Could Karellia also get a core on the north?

Based on this 1938 based on primarly used langauge map, it seems there were a lot of Karelians up there:
3gav87xdwup41.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions:
This "tags" lower performance for players PC as far as I know. Sometimes players - expesially for miltiplayer- just remove all relesable countries from a game by mods. It's kinda nessesary if they want to play on old PC. Maybe developers can just add an default option to "remove" all non-essential releasable countries from game?

Maybe developers can just add an default option to "remove" all non-essential releasable countries from game?
Either that or make the AI less inclined to release minor and less-than-three-states releaseables.

• 2Like
Reactions:
all EU4 videos or LIVEs or evenkey words in search engine are banned.
If my intel is correct, that's caused by some people from Taiwan reporting EU4 violating the government regulations of PRC to the PRC government.
Pretty much just like they previously reported and took down 52PCgame's community. (One of the largest Paradox player communities in mainland China)

It's a common strategy to justify their anti-PRC views to PRC supporters.
It's just like reminding people that your government is against you by having all those ridiculous regulations, why do you still support it instead of trying to overthrow it. They made their point.
Unfortunately, common players have to be caught in such political disagreement.
But, to be fair, some regulations of PRC are indeed ridiculous. Personally, I have fought against them on many occasions.

Your point is legit.
However, I don't think the issue of Turkestan matters too much by now. (It might be if we were still in 2017.)
If anyone wants to report the game to the government, they can technically report many other aspects of HOI4 to the PRC government and bring in more attention anyway. For example, no PRC cores in Tibet, PRC can be easily killed by Japan or the Nationists, and so on.
There is no way to satisfy all the ridiculous regulations of the Chinese government anyway.
After all, it has the harshest censorship in the world.

It's easy to understand the governing logic of ccp
Nope, it's not that easy. They put everything under the table and make everything vague so that they can wield powers without boundaries.
There was never an official order of "banning" anything. They make it look like all social media are acting according to their own decisions to take down content and do the censorship without government involvement.

I heard stories of many games that did quite a lot of self-censorships trying to make the PRC government happy still never get approved to be released in China which technically has no difference from being banned.
It's also have been 3 months since the last time PRC approved any new games to be released.
Thus, the efforts are unlikely to bring much difference. Maybe, I just get tired of it and no longer care about it anymore.
After all those years, almost none of any games that disappeared in Steam's regional store of China got back on it again while even more are disappearing.

As the wall is getting higher every year, I think we shall all prepare for something even worse to come eventually.
Stay safe and good luck.
I miss the old times when there was no Great Firewall.

Last edited:
Reactions:
And, it might be an alternative choice, that you can disable Sinkiang from the ability of forming Turkstan, while if other nations form it, cores in Sinkiang can still be got. It may not enough to make China's government completely satisfied, but at least reduces the chance that they decide to ban the game's influence in China forever.
Considering that the CCP also denies the existence of Manchukuo and insists it was always a united front against the Japanese (and that didn't stop Paradox from giving the Chinese Warlords + Manchukuo content), I'd say that there's a good chance they might just roll their eyes, especially since they seem to be more vigilant towards criticisms about what's happening now.

This "tags" lower performance for players PC as far as I know. Sometimes players - expesially for miltiplayer- just remove all relesable countries from a game by mods. It's kinda nessesary if they want to play on old PC. Maybe developers can just add an default option to "remove" all non-essential releasable countries from game?
They're not really going to hold back development for older machines, especially since HOI4 is mostly about CPU anyway.

Reactions: