• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Behind the Scenes #2: Editor

Hello everyone and welcome back to another development diary. Today we’re sharing our plans for the Editor in Cities: Skylines II. Currently, the game does not include the Editor, but we will update the game post-release to include it as soon as it’s out of beta testing.

From the start, we knew we wanted to include an in-depth editor powerful enough to bring your ideas to life. This time around we have a good sense of what modders and creators may need, based on all the amazing things they created for Cities: Skylines, and our goal is to support that with the new Editor currently being worked on for Cities: Skylines II. We’re developing it in close cooperation with the modding community, and while the tools are something we’ll use internally as well, the goal is to offer you the possibility to create your own content for the game. That’s what the Cities: Skylines experience is really about: Freedom to create!

ONE EDITOR TO RULE THEM ALL
In Cities: Skylines we had several different editors for different functions. If you wanted to create assets you would open the asset editor, and within it, you would select specific categories all bringing you a subset of features. If you wanted to work on a map, you would need a different editor to do that.

In Cities: Skylines II we have one Editor capable of everything. Whether you’re making a new map or creating a new building, you will enter the same Editor. This means you will have a lot of options at your fingertips, which can be a little daunting at first, but it comes with a lot of benefits too.

Your new building doesn’t exist in a flat empty world. You can load a map, place the building in the environment, and place other buildings or roads around it to get a better sense of what it will look like in your city. The same goes for maps. You can place buildings as you’re shaping the landscape to ensure the scale of hills and valleys is how you want them.

1 Editor.png

Preview your asset in the surroundings you want while adding finishing touches

ROADMAP
The Editor is currently in beta and being tested by our modding beta group, which consists of seasoned modders and asset creators. The Editor will be released in several steps, the first of which will include map creation, asset import, code mods, and sharing those as well as savegames through Paradox Mods.

Creating custom maps in Cities: Skylines II includes what you might expect: Shaping the landscape, setting up water sources for rivers and lakes, painting in natural resources and forests, and setting up the basic outside connections for a city. But map creation also includes setting up the map’s climate, including its temperature variations and weather.

The initial release of the Editor supports the creation of custom buildings with more asset types to be supported in the future. It allows you to import custom .fbx files with a matching set of textures, set up color variations, decorate the asset, and tweak its stats to fit your new asset. You can of course also edit existing assets, giving your favorite building a new look through different color variations and decorations. All the technical information about modeling and texturing assets can be found on the official wiki, which will be updated as more information is available.

Last, but definitely not least, this update will support code modding. We have given a lot of the prominent modders from Cities: Skylines early access to Cities: Skylines II, giving them a chance to get familiar with the game and get inspired to create mods. That said, please remember that the game uses new technology and has a deeper simulation, so mods need to be created from scratch and nothing done earlier for Cities: Skylines can be used as such. We’re very excited to see what the modders create for this time around!

This first update will also enable sharing to Paradox Mods. Here you can share and download custom maps, buildings, and code mods, as well as share your savegame or download other people’s cities to explore. Paradox Mods will be available on all platforms, not just PC, within the limits of each platform. We’ll get into the details of what will be included for console closer to their release.

THE NEXT STEP
Following the release of the Editor our next goal is to expand its capabilities to include more asset types. We want to give you the ability to create your very own vehicles, trees and bushes, as well as the option to import custom citizen models. Both trees and citizens are more complex than their counterparts in Cities: Skylines.

As trees go through a lifecycle in Cities: Skylines II, from saplings to adult trees and eventually to dead trees, custom trees require several models corresponding to each stage of their life. Similarly, citizens go through different life stages which are reflected in their character models changing from children all the way to seniors. We’ll take you behind the scenes of character models in a future development diary which may help potential creators get a sense of what to expect once the Editor supports custom characters.

2 Roadmap.png

YOUR FEEDBACK
We have intentionally left our plans for the Editor open-ended. Besides the features we have planned for it, we want to leave room to implement improvements and features that will help you create modding content for Cities: Skylines II. While we of course cannot make any guarantees, we’re excited to hear your feedback and wishes for the Editor, both now and once you get your hands on it.

We’re very interested in hearing about your experience with the editors in Cities: Skylines. Which ones did you use? What worked well? What did you find challenging? And of course, we want to hear about what you would love to create for Cities: Skylines II, whether it’s among the items supported with the initial release of the Editor, something that will be supported down the line, or perhaps something completely different. Let us know in the comments below.

In the next development diary, we take you behind the scenes of Game Balancing, diving into the process and challenges that come with balancing a deep simulation like Cities: Skylines II.

• 44Like
  • 7Love
Reactions:
Excited to use the editor! Hope I get considered for beta access. Already have 2 buildings on stand by

Will buildings still use all the same textures in CS1 (d,a,c,s,i,n) and a separate lod model?
Are custom props still possible?
How will custom vehicles work, I noticed bogies and pantographs move on trams.

Last edited:
  • 10Like
Reactions:
Hi Paradox. I made a few maps for Cities Skylines 1 so I'm curious to see what I'll be able to do in Cities Skylines 2. But as of now, by the looks of the vanilla maps, they are really barebone. Ground does not feel alive. In CS1, atleast we have an option to use theme textures to make ground look good but as far as I know there is nothing like this in CS2. Are there any plans for this?
Secondly, in previous dev diary it was mentioned we will be able to make bigger mountains and deeper valleys and that is excellent but what I'm curious about is water. How does water behave in cs2? And like I said, I like making realistic maps and to make something like a waterfall or creek, I had to depend on mods and assets. I would like to know if there is a possibility to make water features in CS2 or not?

Edit - Will there be an option to import/export heightmap? That is really important.

Last edited:
  • 11Like
Reactions:
Something I'm really curious about is file organization, menus navigation, and uploading.
E.g.
  1. The extent to which we will be able to see, access and replace files [to update them] we've uploaded to Paradox Mods
  2. How the functions of the Content Manager in C:S1 will manifest in C:S2 and where we will access them.
  3. Will it be easier to select an option to create blank lots for different lot types in the editors? I could never figure out how to do that in the C:S1 editor.
  4. Will it be easier/will we have more control to have assets appear in the correct menu? Quite a lot of assets created in C:S1, mostly the older ones, appeared in all sorts of odd places.

Reactions:
Hello long time CS player super excited for the new game. CS1 was so good I ended up getting a degree in urban planning because of it Oops haha.
Anyway CS1 had surprising utility as an alternative plan rendering solution. It's easier and faster than other dedicated renderers used in urban design. I expect it's use in education and the professional urban design space will only grow if the editor grows in utility and complexity.
My first thing is units of measurement. Yes, metric is the better system but it's not the one we use in the US and if we got the option to switch it would make scaling the models correctly much easier. No biggie.
Second thing that would make CS2 into a legitimate urban planning tool would be a converter for contour maps. We can export contour lines for GIS. If we can take those and use them as an impression for the terrain the utility would be tremendous.
Professional planners may be a tiny sliver of the player base, but I can confirm that CS has the attention of all of us.
The main thing I'm hoping for is versatility. I know Colossal Order is primarily intending to make video games for fun, but unfortunately you genius guys and gals made a very good tool along the way and I'd hate for CS2 to not have that same utility.
A mode similar to the editor that allows for easy renderings of urban spaces with an accurate scale would be much appreciated by many planning students and likely some professionals as well.

Appreciate the opprotunity to share my thoughts. Consider it an opportunity. You may not have known the door was open for Colossal Order to enter this world, but it is!! The Urban planning field needs an easy to use urban site design option and with the right little tweaks CS is it!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Do we have themes in CS2? I like creating my own themes, especially updating the names list. I got bored of always seeing the same street names so I started putting my friend's names in there and seeing them among the randomly generated names in CS1.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Promising!
I didn't mod in CS1 because I didn't like the graphics quality and my assets are in high definition (Realistic or stylized)
But given the quality of CS2, which I pre-ordered, I will be able to integrate my creations into it
I can't wait to use your tool

Hi,

Great to hear about extensive modding support. but, I see interchange assets missing from the talk. They're one of the most common types of assets and something that people need sooner for solving traffic than later for decorating/improving gameplay. Can you share any timeline/phase for that?

Really looking forward to making ridiculous interchanges and sharing it with community.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Thank you very much for the diary @co_avanya, much appreciated details and it's also a great idea to have some sort of preview on an existing map.

If it comes to feedback from a vehicle asset creator, I'd like to provide some :)

1. It would be nice to have some kind of an expert mode which could be toggled in options. This would prevent beginners to be overwhelmed while it could unleash additional power to more experienced creators which keep overall game performance/asset size in mind and know about the power behind the scenes Unity offers. The "normal mode" could offer simple asset creation as in C:S1 so you can just import your meshes and textures and the game will present you a usable version of the asset with default compression for textures and fitting shaders, down to adding functional sub buildings.

2. When it comes to some expert level mode:
  • Additional debug tools would be great! Thinking about vehicles it would be sweet to be able to toggle all different conditions used within the specific ai like: emergency, on_gravel, takeoff, landing, returning, arrival, stopped, loading, reversed... (and many more which ever are somehow available in C:S2) within the current ai to have an actual preview. Besides that changing light and weather conditions (thinking about snow building up on buildings/vehicles) would be nice as well as a simple LOD toggle to preview just the LOD in editor.
  • Advanced manipulation tools could come handy like an easy, non console way of changing the shader used on a specific submesh (if still mesh based instead of material based). This way a load of concrete on a truck could use building shaders, signs on a bus could use additive shaders to be lit all the time and so on. Oh, and different compression methods for textures to ensure crispieness ;)
  • Submesh/Sub building placement "by hand". In C:S1 you'd had to move stuff using coordinates around without direct feedback on screen. It would be nice to have a more organic way to of manipulating individual meshes in the scene to just finetune them using coordinates.
  • Inbuild SFX editor to create custom effects relating to the currently selected ai (like submeshes). The effects definition be stored as part of the asset pack in some XML file so there will be no external dependencies. Effects should include custom smoke, custom lights and custom sounds (limited size and fixed format ofc.)
  • Usage of hidden/restricted networks and spawn/despawn points on buildings instead of (just) templates. In C:S1 there were many networks which were used on prefab assets (examples: runway, taxiway and gate networks, bus networks for assets, vehicle spawn points of all kinds) which one was not able to alter without any mods. These were glued to the footprint of the buildings with no way to move or alter them. In some expert mode I would suggest to not hide these and make them usable so we can create own airport/bus station/railyard designs from scratch.
3. An actual test mode in editor. It would be cool to just spawn the vehicle on some road/rail network, in air or water, maybe one could just lay down a section of the network needed and place a line for the vehicle. In combination with the expert mode ai toggles one could simulate the vehicle running through a city to check if everything is working from indicators to loaded goods as expected before saving it to try it in some existing city :)

Last but not least a question as the diary just talks about buildings: will there be also the possibility to create vehicle assets on day 1 of the editor release, or will that follow later?

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
ThIs CaN oNlY mEaN pAiD mOdS!1

Seriously, though, looking good. Can't wait for release.

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Everything I’m seeing is very promising. Devs please don’t think the few saying bad things about the game and clamoring for a delay speaks for most of us. We all know the disgruntled are always the loudest!

Anyway I’m really looking forward to the map editor as I was a huge fan of it and made countless realistic maps in the first game since 2015. I cannot wait to get my hands on the editor and the game! It’s the first game I’ve looked forward to since the original Cities Skylines.

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Do we have themes in CS2? I like creating my own themes, especially updating the names list. I got bored of always seeing the same street names so I started putting my friend's names in there and seeing them among the randomly generated names in CS1.
Themes are a part of CS2, but no longer attached purely to visuals in terms of color coding and lighting. Instead, Themes pertain to a collection of assets for road signage, road markings, building architecture, and service vehicle designs.

They haven't spoken on this yet, but I am hoping that modders will get the opportunity to make Themes and allow us to explore deep sociocultural designs.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi, I'm a mainly vehicle assets creator in CS1 (ApollonDriver). Feature I'm curious about is effects, especially with vehicles. I especially like creating emergency vehicles and in the gameplay vidoes we saw some really cool light effects on ambulances and police cars. Will these effects be customizable? Will I be able to add lights wherever I like, change it's properties? In CS1 you needed mods to add custom effects and no offense to the author but it's so hard to use, I'm still trying to figure it out.

Another thing is, the editor was deadly to use in CS1, I guess it's because it wasn't expected to see this much use and all, but I lost a little piece of my soul every time I opened it. It took some time to load, the music was horrifying, specular maps were sometimes wonky, color maps left 1 pixel borderlines on cars, and you couldn't see if illumination map was working or not. Then you would see something wrong with your asset, so you would have to close the game, tweak it, open the game and editor, see if it worked, if it didn't (usually didn't) then you go back and tweak again, and open the editor again, that whole process was brutal. So my question is, will our asset be updated while we are in the editor when files are updated? Will it again take a long time to open? I think many other asset creators would agree with my last paragraph.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Hey. I am also a asset and map maker (Mason Neck, Virginia and Bahnhof Luzern among others). Lots of the goals for the asset editor look super compelling! Unfortunate that I will have to wait for some features, but otherwise good to hear.

1) In CS1, vital asset creation tools were in consoles or through roundabout ways. Would appreciate easier ways to apply rotor shaders, for one. I am NOT a coder.
2) Guides in the asset editor like there is in photoshop for snapping would be super nice. Like an asset centerline snapping toggle and so on, so if I want to place props precisely on buildings I don't need a mod (Move It!) to do so.
3) I also would love a way to change textures more fluidly in the editor. Say I load a texture onto an asset and realize there is a small problem with it. I want to be able to just switch the texture in the folder on my computer and have it reflected in the editor as opposed to re-loading a notoriously slow loading game. Totally understand if this is code that is too bedrock to change, though, but it would greatly speed the asset-making process.
4) Regarding water: water improvements are the only thing you guys haven't addressed yet. Would love assets or ways to manipulate water in map editor to make waterfalls or dams. Vanilla assets could function much like water pumps in game or dams that mimic water falls. Could a network with pump in on one side, pump out at the other, and some waterfall animation on the base of it. Would interact with the ground much like C:S1 quays do. At the very least, would love the ability to make custom dams and custom water assets way easier than in C:S1 so that asset creators could make them.
5) Can you offer us more information on themes? I love the all-encompassing approach with props and vehicles! No more large, incomplete Workshop collections to mimic countries! But how do they work?

ALSO: We now have themes with standardized map/theme-specific props. Make a way to control whether these props remain tied to themes when placed in buildings. Say I need a stop sign on my building, but want an American one. Let me toggle that option so that even if people are in European theme they see the American stop sign.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
I'm really hoping that this time we'll have comprehensive and genuinely useful documentation, and that the tutorials are designed to help newcomers and those who want to start from scratch, rather than just serving as a warm-up for folks who've been using Blender for two decades.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thank you so much for this, @co_avanya :D

Questions:
  1. Regarding growable buildings: Are lvl 1, 3 and 5 separate fbx models and textures or do they share these?
  2. Same for expandable buildings: Do the extensions and sub-buildings have their own or shared texture/fbx file?
  3. What's the largest used texture size for assets? 4K?
  4. Can you give a ballpark polycount per building type?
  5. Are custom 1*1 grid buildings possible?
  6. Is it possible to get beta access to the asset editor when I buy the game? I got some half-finished buildings already :p Used to make stuff for CS:1 as well back in the early days.

Wishes:
  1. Custom animations for props, citizens and buildings.
  2. Props with stats. So for example an (animated) street artist who will give +1 tourism, and a food cart which will count as a low commercial 'building' (with just 1 employee).
  3. Age restrictions on signature buildings. Only one or a few age types have access to the building, so we can make retirement homes, student housing, etc.
  4. Optional non-unique signature buildings. I would love to make some stand-out buildings and place a few of them together. For compensation I would suggest to disable benefits, or maybe just a max build count set to 4 instead of 1.
  5. Props library with sub-categories.
  6. Set speed limit and passenger count for vehicles, I would love to make moped cars :D
  7. Terraforming inside the asset so we can make ponds, mountains and sunken parks.

Next:
I would suggest focusing on vehicles and props, those will have the biggest impact on removing the repetitive look in cities.
I'm exited to see what you're doing with the citizens! Nice to see the life stages are linked :D I do have to wonder: are they not too detailed for such small models? I mean do they really need normal maps and layered alpha hair?

• 4Like
Reactions: