• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My friend, you have started to stray from the true path of AARs. I still love your writing, but the second part of the update it almost felt as if I was reading a gameplay AAR. It would be much better if you could mix some of your really amazing story into that.

Old-time poster breaking the silence here:

My friend, you have started to stray from the true path of AARs. I still love your writing, but the second part of the update it almost felt as if I was reading a gameplay AAR. It would be much better if you could mix some of your really amazing story into that.

With respect, there is no "true path of AARs." The term encompasses a very diverse range of works, and if you do a bit of digging (in the EU1 and EU2 forums specifically), you'll find that the very first ones were actually very minimalistic and "gameplay"-ish by today's standards. Narrative is a fairly recent innovation.

@Range: Loving the story :D I've read a couple of your older AARs, and I have to say that I can see a definite trend of improvement.

Of course, our friend who I just quoted does have a little bit of a point; the narrative would go a lot smoother if you could integrate the gameplay a little more into the story. Still, in the end it's your choice, and I'll still try to follow the ongoing story of Range as well as I can.

Incidentally, the younger Range wouldn't happen to be going by the name "Abraham" right now, would he? ;)

A bit rude perhaps Nodscouterr...

I think Range can do his AAR any way he sees fit. I for one like what I see.

I figure there are all kinds of AARs, just like there are all kinds of books. There are comic books and pulp fiction for light reads and encyclopedias and non-fiction for more heavy reading.

Keep up the good work Range. :)

I wasn't being disprespectful, I was merely trying to give advice to Range.

Thanks everyone...I can't tell you how much I like your candid responses. It is true this is a different style that I'm used to because of the stories or tales...as in the style of the Arabian Nights...

The game and the AAR may have taken a back seat... because the tales really don't have a place but as a backdrop. But, actually maybe the tales have a life of their own as they have taken over.

My friends...as a FYI this may be my last AAR. And, I plan on dispatching Lillith at the end.

And my good friend Nodscouterr has a point as you all do...

Last edited:
Part 12

106jwhv.jpg

They were some that said it was too costly to spend on Merchants seats in the market. But, Range was adamant in pointing out that trading is a way for Yemen to make money.

He told about his dealings with Scotland and Ireland, but did not mention that in “Riga – Range’s Sabbatical (Yeah Right!)" Riga did not make a single ducat in trading and survived and grew.

Trading is the spice of life…especially for Yemen.
r0qnnq.jpg

Still – Trading can only take you so far and it takes a lot of many and has its drawbacks - However, the beating up of both Ethiopia and Adal quickly became a huge success in keeping the country solvent and growing - a little war here , a little war there…a province gained here a province gained there helps to make Yemen grow healthy and strong.

n2zfo4.jpg

With newly found money we can build forts and temples in our new provinces and look to the future.

34t9v1d.jpg

Once the fort building is complete…it’s time to time for war again…but our reputation is taking a big hit…we have to rethink our strategy.

2hftkx5.jpg

Shortly after Range and Oma’s sons and daughters adopted the young Range and Sarah into the family, they felt a kinship with them…as if they were actually family. But, many years later it was time for another goodbye.

Tale – Number 6

Age overtakes us all…the rich and the poor…but, no one ages before their time.

This tale is about a mystery, as well as magic...of two travelers from another time.

Some Fifty-five years after their arrival, they should have been in their seventies. Their outward appearance showed that they had aged as normal men do, their eyes had grown dim, their hair discolored and their youthful bodies had all but worn out.

Yet, were they ready to die? Truthfully, they had not aged a day since their arrival. But, was their little secret really a secret?

Little did the family know when they first welcomed them as family many years before the truth about the pair…

But, on this day many years later it was time for a farewell. “My friends,” said the male traveler, “as age overtakes us all, I fear it is our time…I long to return to my island before I die.”

The family were saddened…they thought of the pair as family and now they would have to say goodbye to two of their loved ones. After saying their goodbyes the family turned and walked off.

The two travelers slipped into their tent to prepare. The man was angry as he spoke to his wife, “This time no sister stuff,” he said, remembering the trouble they got into over a lie to a prince.”

The wife, a playful sort, joked with a reply. “This time, I’ll be your brother…Ralph.”

When the travelers emerged from their tent an amazing transformation had taken place. They were no longer old, but as young as they were when they first arrived. They were also not alone.

The entire family were waiting for them outside their tent. Many of the family, overjoyed, rushed up to them. Ghadir, now an eighty year man, sat in his chair and clasped his hands as if to applaud with glee as only an eighty year man could giving thanks to above…tears streaming down from his eyes.

Ghadir knew, as no other of the family would dare to believe… He knew their mother and father had not gone. They in fact had always been with them these many years. You see the two adopted strangers were his and his brothers and sister’s father and mother… They had not died, or even aged a single day, but stayed with them their entire lives.

28vwv2f.jpg

Last edited:
Yemen – The Happy Arabia

Part 13

106jwhv.jpg

Range had always had the knack of convincing councilors of what a country needed. In regard to the leaders of Yemen he had to be crafty in a way of making the leaders think that what he was proposing was actually their idea.

“You know your idea of putting a workshop in every province was a stroke of genius,” he would tell one advisor. “And, tell me what other land has a temple in every province as well.” He would then pause and pose a question, “But, what do you think about our military in defending our new wealth?”

He would then go to another and then another advisor and set them up with the flattery to ask them about their feelings about the army.

Range had a lot of concerns, hopes and insight:
• Inflation was at 7.5
• Military had only 6 regiments to defend all of Yemen’s provinces
• The navy was nearly non-existent
• The taking of Dhofar from Omen and making it a Yemen province.
• Become allied with poor little Haasa.

And, then it all comes to pass:

1) The first step for Yemen was to become an ally with Haasa.

2) When the vote came in for a National Idea – the advisors vote was unanimous for National Banks to lower inflation.

5be22r.jpg

As for the insight – Oman declared war on poor little Haasa. And the roof quickly crashed down upon Oman as almost everyone took up the defense for poor little Haasa.

Learning Oman had made the mistake of declaring war on our dear ally Haasa, I did not waste a moment in mounting an attack against the Omanis. I soon crossed into Dhofar, by Slaalah which stands on a narrow, fertile coastal plains, in the lead of 4,000 troops (half of which were mounted cavalry).

Upon our arrival...we were astonished as we were greeted by leaders of Slaalah and many of its people who were cheering our arrival...we were Liberators to them. We advised that the people of Slaalah remain far from the quickly approaching confrontation. They assured us that they would and that no within the city or the surrounding country side would give warning to the hated Omanis.

We were told by the many of Slaalah people that for some insane reason the Omani army was camped with their backs to a river and a waterfall just outside the city of Salalah. Their commander was either a fool, or he had no idea that we were coming. It almost made me feel that it was too easy to take them.

It was nearly ten in the morning, and only now his men were rising with sleep in their eyes. It was like they were on vacation. Due to the fact that the foliage about their camp was thick, I was able to slip many of my infantry about their position without the Omanis knowing it due to the roar of the waterfall behind his position.

Then I gave the order. .. I moved my cavalry into a position and gave the order. "My cavalry gave out with blood curdling cry as they charged at the Omeni position. Then my bowman began to cut down the Omeni troops as they emerged from their tents.

The Omani general took up a position toward the back of his camp. He was on foot and didn't stand a chance of survival. .. for no sooner had my cavalry broke into the camp his troops (what was left of them) turned and began to run for the river in hopes of safety. Their path was straight toward the poor beleaguered General who was quickly trampled by his men as they retreated.

Those left in the Omani camp were quickly dispatched...they were wiped out within seconds after the cavalry entered their camp. As for the troops that reached the river they shared no better fate then those that had fallen in camp. The river soon turned turn crimson, the color of blood.

There were some that reached safety. But, I later learned they were soon wiped out by combined Mamluks and Ottoman forces.

We didn't advance any further. .. all we wanted was Dhofar...and, nothing else. We took the
province's fort and then demanded tribute from Oman. We took four provinces leaving
Oman with just Muscat.

We took Dhofar (we had a core on it-so there would be rebels to fight) for Yemen and the other three provinces were handed over to our war comrades the Mamluks. We didn't ask for Oman to become a vassal seeing that they were an ally to us until they started a war with Haasa.

35aknfa.jpg

The residue of winning the war against Oman was that some of the victors didn’t go home. As many of fifteen thousand just set up house. "And, if they leave soon I'm going to charge them rent."

qx4g8z.jpg

Adjusting the sliders can bring great thinkers.

zy24n.jpg

28vwv2f.jpg

An eighteen year old Range stepped out of his tent and stared down at a small loose swirling funnel that was spinning on the sand at his feet. He thought back to the moment he appeared in Yemen upon the sand dune some two-hundred years before and recalled the face of the man that stood only a few feet away from him that day.

If Range was not imagining he thought the man resembled him. The man appeared to be at least twice his age. But, who was the man?

The next second the man was gone. Caught up in a huge sand storm that rolled up out of nowhere the man was suddenly snatched up and carried off.

“Stay away,” the man screamed out over the roar of the storm. “You can’t help me!” Then the man and the sand storm then vanished into thin air.

Last edited:
For that, Yemen is about to be annexed!

I expected that. Oman has been taken over by our Allies last night. I just didn't write it up...and, it's already history. Ha...ha! Who got the first laugh.

Just having fun.

Last edited:
Yemen – The Happy Arabia

Part 14

Regardless of Yemen’s conquests and warrior attitude, she’s still a small country to her neighbors. Thankfully, her neighbors respect Yemen otherwise she’d be swallowed up in an instant.

It would appear the only threat to Yemen and indeed all of her allies neighbors are the English. The English have a mighty navy and its’ influences is being felt. Yemen must look pretty puny to the great English nation…and inviting.

For now, Yemen must remain at peace…and build its nation stronger…every province must have a level 2 fort…our army must be expanded to at least to our limit and so must our navy…with the finest ships.

262y4k1.jpg

Time passes quickly…

Oman has fallen to the Mamluks. As heaven shines down upon me...I swear I did not want the destruction of Oman. All, I wanted was Dhofar...as it rightfully belonged to Yemen.

We must mix military expansion and defense with the creating of constables and court houses…and, trading.

nmg9w8.jpg

Even with our best efforts we can never match what the English can put into the field.

dlhvcx.jpg

For our next national idea WE must choose wisely…what would you choose?

whmf6r.jpg

"Really...which of the National Ideas would you choose next if you were Yemen?"

The sand storm that had existed for two hundred years rolled on across the desert…

29d8fwl.jpg

Oma: "What did you call it?"

Range: “What’s the matter?”

Oma: “Nothing…

Range: “Then why are you laughing?”

Oma: “Well…I just didn’t think it was a sand storm…that’s all.

Range: “It’s a great big rolling sand storm.”

Oma: “Maybe to you it is…but to me and to the people of this forum it’s a mountain

Range: “Al right…think what you like…but, just let me get on with my story.”

Oma: “All right…maybe you can run some sort of contest where people from the forum can submit photos and drawings of real sand storms?”

Range: “The sand storm that had existed for two hundred years rolled on across the desert…

Tale – Number 8

This is a tale about a sand storm that rolled across the desert for two-hundred years and of
its captive that was kept alive by the storm's vindictive pleasure.

"What do you want from me?” The captive yelled out over the roar of wind.

"I want revenge," replied the sand storm.

The storm's name was Lillith ... the man was named Range.

"Lillith ... you can't blame me for your death," said Range. "It was an ill-advised venture and you should have known that before starting out."

(Lillith: first appeared in "Scotland the Brave, the strong and The Brave."

Last edited:
Part 15

The on-rushing sand storm:

29d8fwl.jpg

“There’s that rolling mountain again,” Oma teased Range.

Tale – Number 8A

Range led his patrol up onto a dune. From there he noticed the on-rushing sand storm that
was quickly approaching. Noting the speed of the storm Range knew they could never
out run it.

He also knew they couldn't remain there and thus he ordered a hasty retreat.

His men didn't need a stronger order and headed down the dune as quickly as they could.
Range was about to flee as well when he heard a voice speak to him.

“He needs your help,” said a voice with a Scottish Brogue. “That’s you in that storm some sixteen years from now.” It was the specter of Angus McDonald. “Lad…go to him and tell him that Angus says…Lillith was the niece of Henri Clarke (see: Riga – Range’s Sabbatical (Yeah Sure)”.

“But…what was her name?”

“That’s’ the problem…I can’t tell you her name…she won’t allow that.”

“Who?”

“Lillith…the storm…tell Range that she was a spinster.”

Range then raced off down the dune toward the approaching sand storm.

“Hurry…your whole world depends on it!”

TO BE CONTINUED:

The new National Idea. I don’t like inflation – it’s too costly. And, once it’s gone (if you have National bank) you can put research money into the treasury.

os66ht.jpg

Size Arab armies, (Mamluks 82k – Timurid Empire 232K). I think we'll put off launching a war in their direction for a while.

16lwsxl.jpg

When Range heard about Greece becoming the defender of the Sunni Faith...he said, "Has the world gone mad?"

28a1aa.jpg

A question of Alliance – Is Ottoman quest to have us join them in an alliance with them a product of our growing prestige, or are the winds of war about to pull us into a conflict that will destroy Yemen? Range wondered, but a strong alliance like the Ottoman doesn't come along everyday...

nxm938.jpg

6ntla8.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, isn't that a big time jump. Why do so?

Anyway, I enjoy reading your AAR =p. Although I'd find it better if you'd show the map in political mode, or at least give a screenshot of your empire. =) Thanks.
Read me Swiss PicturAAR ^^

Nothing was happening...no wars no growth...I don't want to bore the reader with babbling. It wouldn't be fair to the tale or to you.

I added two posts on Sunday...did you read the both of them?

Political mode? I'll check it out...

Last edited:
Part 16

29d8fwl.jpg

“If you won’t do it…I will,” said Oma as she bolted from the room.

Tale – Number 8B

Sixteen years within the storm

Range charged headlong into the storm upon his horse. Once inside ... the inside of the storm was still except for the voice that echoed as it knocked about its cavity...

"You killed me ... killed me... killed me." Said Lillith, her voice echoing harshly within the storm’s domain.

Dismounting, the young Range replied, "Lady ... l don't even know who you are."

"For this ... this ... this... you shall die ... die... die." Her voice echoed.

"Don't worry," said the older Range to the younger. "She's not after you ... it's me she
wants."

"Is that Lillith?"

“Yeah…but…how?”

“Angus gave me some information for you,” said the younger Range. “But, who is she?”

"She's what the Irish call a Diabhal taistealai ... devil traveler,” explained the older Range. “At one time she was alive, but through a tragedy she died and she blames me for her death."

"So, how do we get out of here?"

“I was hoping you were going to tell me.” The older Range told the younger. “Just what did Angus tell you?” He listened as the younger Range shared what Angus had told him.

Time moves very slowly within the storm, but the outside world aged greatly.

• The textile factory was completed in January of 1750 (four years after Range’s arrival in the storm).

2pteb74.jpg

That same year there arose anger in Yemen to the Omani’s treatment to the Arabic people in Muscat.

2ugnpki.jpg

One of the questions that Range proposed before he disappeared into the sand storm was “Why doesn’t Yemen have a Market center of her own?” The council finally got around to doing something their choose would not have been what Range would have suggested. will hear about their choice of a market when he gets back…if he gets back.

so1h1s.jpg

Last edited:
Yemen - The Happy Arabia

29d8fwl.jpg

"Now, I know what it looks like...the Blob," joked Oma.

166fxc1.jpg

"How's that?" Oma asked Range about her picture.

"What is it?" Asked Range.

"It's the view from inside the Sand Storm, replied Oma.

Part 17

Nearly sixteen years had passed since Range’s disappearance. Oma had become despondent to everything around her.

Tale – Number 8C

The sixteenth year inside the storm

166fxc1.jpg

“You know I don’t mean to rush you…but, what’s the holdup?” The younger Range asked the older.

“This move takes a lot of thought…a wrong choice could spell disaster for me and you…beside there’s something we need to discuss…if we ever get out of this mess promise me you’ll stop after your ninth journey and not take your tenth. (Brittany – Hope).”

“But, why?” The Young Range asked.

“Because you won’t like your tenth homecoming that’s why.”

While this discussion went on, not so far away Oma’s heart was deeply sadden. In times before when Range disappeared she somehow knew he was alive. But, through these years she could not sense whether he was dead or alive. And, she was getting mad… Well, it had been sixteen years and not even a card or a phone call.

Last edited:
166fxc1.jpg

Part 18

The Tenth Journey’s Homecoming:

Trapped within the sandstorm, the older Range reached back into his memory to the tenth homecoming. He recalled that he was brought back to the facility instead of being returned to his home as it was the usual practice.

At the facility, Range, along with several other travelers were brought into a room to learn the bad news.

Time had jumped. The norm was that a traveler returned a fraction of a moment after they departed on the journey. But, due to a glitch…Range and the other travelers arrived sixteen years after they departed.

The officials of the facility traced back the malfunction to a charge that lit up the boards between the ending of Range's ninth journey “Scotland the Brave…the strong and the Free” and his tenth journey “Brittany – Hope” that he started moments after his return.

The returning time travelers, unlike any other time had aged…sixteen years to be exact…and, the world they returned to had also aged sixteen years. The world they left behind had changed. Sadly, Oma was no longer waiting for Range to return.

Range also had another shock in store for him. Moving up to his doorstep, he rang the front door to his home. His daughter Erin who he had never met answered the door. It turns out she was a twin…her brother Richard wasn’t home.

After answering the door, Erin looked back at Oma her mother. Oma now in his thirties (long believing Range was dead) stared in disbelief at the thirty something year old Range.

It didn’t take Range long to realize that Oma and he were never getting back together.

Returning to the facility Range learned that the glitch was caused by some sort of power surge. Little did anyone realize that the power surge was caused by Lillith in her attempt to keep Range from leaving her behind at the end of his ninth journey.

It had taken the facility’s brains sixteen years to get the network back on line…and, to get the trapped travelers back even though it was sixteen years late…now, with safeguards in place the government was allowing the service to resume…with little fear of another feedback occurring.

The officials of the facility, Mr. Walcott for one said they were sorry…but as the fine print stated…Travel at your own risk… They did however award each traveler and their family’s free travels forever for their troubles…and, their loss. Not much of a consolation for losing your life, and or loved ones.

But, in regard to the two time travelers' untimely deaths there was very little that could be done to prevent any death form happening. Not that the fear of death could detour Range from going down the line. As from where he stood he had nothing to lose.

As Range readied himself to leave on his eleventh journey, the thirty (something) year old Range remembered back to the moments just before he set off on his tenth journey...he could still vividly recall the wails of the wife. “It can’t be...my Henri and Mary both dead…” It seems that a Mrs. Travers had lost her husband and a niece as they never returned from the journey the two were on.

On this journey, his eleventh, “Riga – Range’s Sabbatical (Yeah Right)” Range would not be alone. Erin, his daughter wanting to get to know her father followed him (down the line) on his journey without his blessings.

Last edited:
Yemen - The Happy Arabia

166fxc1.jpg

Part 19

Tale – Number 8D

Back in the storm…after the younger Range promised not to go on the tenth journey, the older Range had gathered his thought to where he felt he could confront Lillith. “All right it’s time,” said Range rising from the ground. “Lillith…I have a question for you…why did you murder your uncle Henri Clarke?”

“For he knew who I was,” her answer boomed.

“You never married did you Lillith?” The older Range then asked.

Lillith did not dare reply.

The older Range then smile knowing he knew her name. “So, there would be a good chance your last name might be Clarke?”

Even though Lillith did not respond, the older Range’s smile soon disappeared. He then paused as if pondering.

“What is the problem?” The younger Range asked the older.

“Henri once told me the name of a niece…but…for the life of me I can’t recall if it was Martha or Margaret? And, even if he was referring to Lillith here…which is it…Martha or Margarett? He even had a portrait hanging over his mantle.”

The older Range then cocked his head to the side remembering back to the day of his tenth homecoming. The thought came to him as if it was a message out of a clear blue sky. “Travers…Henri was a traveler…but, his real name wasn’t Clarke.” He paused to clear his mind. “What was the name the wife called the niece …Mary…” Then, he knew how to address Lillith. “It’s a shame you never got married and all," he said, as if becoming angry at Lillith. “But, that’s no reason to kill your own flesh and blood…now, is it Mary Travers?”

Lillith…(Mary Travers) let out with a blood curdling scream. The winds within the sand storm picked up to a hurricane height only to suddenly disappear as did the sand storm.

It was over…Lillith had been vanquished…her soul sent to her reward.

And, upon the sand dune…the older Range, overjoyed in being released danced an Irish Jig in celebration.

“Now, what you silly fool,” asked the impatient younger Range.

Range stopped long enough to reply, “Now, I go home…” With that he began to disappear, leaving one last thought, “Keep your promise and don’t go on your tenth journey.”

28vwv2f.jpg

Part 20

Range’s Return:

Trade had become a bright shining star for Yemen. Due to Range's urging before his disappearance, Yemen soon had six merchants in four markets (a product of high prestige) Even Asir would soon have six merchants.

taqypw.jpg

And, there was a war...wars especially short wars (2 to 5 years long) can help an economy. Especially if you don’t add to your forces and there’s no threat to your nation’s survival.

a3fbfb.jpg

The siege ended with us taking over the province…however the war ended shortly thereafter as peace was declared. Range fumed as we gained nothing after traveling so far.

wchdab.jpg

I learned of a land far off…U-S-A…U-S-A…U-S-A!

2113rqv.jpg

Range pushed for Yemen to strengthen our training methods for our army. He always said a ouce of prevention can go a long way to keep Yemen strong,

255rplx.jpg

Finally, Yemen has a colony.

1zd3ew9.jpg

Like in the search for all good things, if we are willing to wait…and, work hard to obtain it…good things shall come our way. In the case of colonies…our only colony grew into a self-sustaining colony.

14b3h4k.jpg

Last edited:
There are actually five provinces...upstate New York...Iroquois lands...mainly south of Canada.