• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prove that there's a profitable, stable market for it...

Look at how the humble bundles have performed throughout the past. Linux players payed the most out of all the other operating systems for the bundle.
Look at what valve is doing: bringing steam to linux. Look at the latest kickstarter: Planetary annihilation that followed up on public demand and is being developped for linux now too.

There's a feeling of change and it would be a shame that Paradox would miss out on that. Better yet: it would be great for them to lead the way.
Plus having a game compatible for linux does not neccessarily exclude windows.

I would certainly like to see Paradox games running natively on Linux, but I am not sure if there's a business case for that. Their games are already running fine under wine, so most of Linux users interested in the games probably buy it anyway (Windows version). So unless the existing code they have can already be easily built on Linux I don't see it happening.

On a second thought there might be a business case. Linux users like to encourage game developers who provides native Linux versions, so the Linux version might sell to the users who didn't know about Paradox (or weren't interested in their games). I guess it would come to how many more sales they would make and how much effort is required to build Paradox code on Linux (hopefully it's not too difficult - they provide native Mac version after all).

I'd like to see the new mod system extended such that the 'unique' files, such as "event_modifiers.txt", can be appended to, rather than purely wholesale replaced. This would make the use of independent/codependent mods much simpler.

As things stand at present, many mods make changes to this and/or similar files. This means that any changes to the base game or the mod mean that if I've changed it in any way, it becomes broken when I go to use it. I understand that a change to this would be beyond the scope of current expansions but would dearly love to see this included in any new engine.

Of course, if it's a really new engine, such files may no longer exist and the problem becomes moot...

I had to buy a new graphics card to play CK2. It cost me almost as much as the game itself. Mildly annoying, the graphics in EU3 were good enough.

I'm hoping that when EU4 comes out, I won't have to buy a new graphics card. But I would be really happy if I had to buy a new CPU - because the worst thing about Paradox games currently is the crappy AI, and I would be more than happy to spend €75 or so on a new CPU if that bought me an AI which actually made the game challenging.

I had to buy a new graphics card to play CK2. It cost me almost as much as the game itself. Mildly annoying, the graphics in EU3 were good enough.

I'm hoping that when EU4 comes out, I won't have to buy a new graphics card. But I would be really happy if I had to buy a new CPU - because the worst thing about Paradox games currently is the crappy AI, and I would be more than happy to spend €75 or so on a new CPU if that bought me an AI which actually made the game challenging.
EU4 seems to be pretty similar graphically to CK2, so a graphics card that worked for CK2 should probably work for EU4.

There are indications a Linux version might be released on Steam in a near future, since it is listed there but broken. Could be a misstake, could be indications of a prvate beta test.

http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...am_for_linux_its_here_deb_in_the_link/c6xf19p
http://marlamin.com/cdr/search.php?s=linux&searchby=os
It's not just speculation. Valve's already confirmed that it's coming to Linux and started the beta.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/9289/

Yes, the beta has been confirmed a long time and the Steam Linux beta is right now basically open to anyone since they do not check if you are in the beta or not. They just do not want any bug reports for people not in the beta, anyone can download and install it.

What is not confirmed as far as I know is if Crusader Kings II will be available for Linux. You can install it right now from the command line but then you will get an error message about missing executables.

Status
Not open for further replies.