• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow, I haven't checked other AARs for a month, busy with my own text, but I'm pleaseantly surprised to find such little pearl :)
I'll try to finish reading it all, because for now I got only first 2, but I'll be definitely revisiting to check the progress!

Who knows, maybe you'll inspire me somehow :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wow, I haven't checked other AARs for a month, busy with my own text, but I'm pleaseantly surprised to find such little pearl :)
I'll try to finish reading it all, because for now I got only first 2, but I'll be definitely revisiting to check the progress!

Who knows, maybe you'll inspire me somehow :D
Thank you! There is certainly no rush in reading, this is a hobby for us all after all. I wish you luck with your own writing!

• 1Like
Reactions:
King Swietopelk III of Poland - The Shrewd (1125 - 1136)
King Swietopelk III of Poland - The Shrewd (1125 - 1136)

‘If you receive invitation from King Swietopelk,

Know his feasts are divine,

Although do yourself a favour,

Save yourself a labour,

And have a dog first drink your wine.’ – a verse from a bardic song, forbidden but often sung throughout the 1120s and 1130s.

The last 29 years of Swietopelk’s life have been full of drama and action and while the latter half of his life would be no exception, the events begin to space out more. I thank you reader for sticking with me this far. Swietopelk’s journey is quite the fascinating river to navigate, and some rapids yet remain. Let us continue.

In January 1126, the son of his now deceased rival, also named Krystyn, was poisoned at a small banquet from wine. It certainly was convenient for it allowed ‘King’ Swietopelk III to revoke the county quite easily. He had no legal right do this and while the seizure seemed arbitrary, the five-year-old brother the title passed to first was not in any place to argue.

1631450679290.png

Having done this, he would officially move the capital of Poland to Plock. It was in a strategic position along the Vistula River and had been home to one of the monarchical seats of Poland in the past. This made the seizure a little easier to choke down to his vassals as it seemed sensible. Though we know now with historical hindsight that Swietopelk considered it another holy site of sort, which perhaps explains why he was so eager to break his feudal contract so quickly and perhaps ‘accelerate’ his rival’s sons retirement.

To seemingly placate his vassals, the King would give his ancestral holding away to new vassals. The worry was that if the King could arbitrarily seize the lands of one noble, he could do so to others. This gesture worked to show the King was willing to give up some of his own power and not wanting to meddle in noble affairs. A cursory note is that in assigning nobles to the Duchies of Stettin and Santok, seemingly minor nobility previously unmentioned in history or records were suddenly elevated into positions of power. It is suspected that this was a move to get his followers into prominent positions and to reward them.

1631450769155.png

This behaviour continued roughly a year later when an official emissary of Pope Leo X arrived and demanded that his pagan advisor Matrivyndas be fired and imprisoned, which the King promptly refused. It was brave to refuse one of the most powerful men in the land and to who he owed his crown to, though nothing would come of it. This support would pay dividends in the future.

Princess Eirene would formally come of age and marry Wartislaw and after a series of ‘revolts’ and events as they are recorded throughout 1126, as well as more ‘accidental’ poisonings, King Swietopelk III would end up in personal control of the entire Duchy of Mazovia. It allowed him to consolidate power and set in stone his family’s personal core crownland. As we will learn, it was hazardous to your health to be in the way of the new King. His second wife, who we know next to little about, would die of illness and it seemed it was not a happy one – Swietopelk III does not even mention her name.

He would soon marry his 3rd and final wife, the much more well-known Branislava in late 1127. As with his ducal appointments earlier, a relatively unknown low-ranking courtier marrying the King was strange. She was also, if the tavern encounter is to be believed, a long-standing member of the Warriors of Perun and had known Swietopelk for years. Another ‘promotion’ for a loyal follower, it would seem.

1631450948124.png

Now that he was King, he would have much more leeway and power to take advantage of. By now the Warriors of Perun were known to the upper echelons of society as a growing threat to those not in on it. The first landed member, Count Gosciwuj had been burnt at the stake in 1118 while Swietopelk warring for Mazovia and Poland was gripped in the Antipapal War.

A vassal of Poland’s core territory being a heathen in secret was a shock. Were it not for the war with the HRE going poorly and Swietopelk’s subsequent rebellion, much more focus could have been put on uncovering the Duke’s involvement.

He was still not above suspicion or the powers of law, though he could be more proactive and aggressive with his actions. This is perhaps evidenced by his unusually direct confession in his Manuscript of reaching out to those few pagans left in Plock and Poland as a whole. While the conversion efforts in the Baltic territories had been going painfully slow, Poland at this point was predominantly Christian. Though in the more rural and far off villages, finding the occasional pagan mystic or believer was not unheard of. Being King, Swietopelk could make sure that the gatherings in homes or shacks would be glossed over and seldom investigated.

1631451034073.png

The next year would be uneventful, until a shocking familial dispute came to light that would prove to be a portent of the future. It seemed Wratislaw who had been working closely with his father (and his two brothers and stepmother) could not escape courtly intrigue. On October 1128, he accused his younger brother, Ratibor of plotting to kill him. Worse, when this was investigated it was found to be true.

We know little about the familial politics between the three brothers. They all looked to gain a portion of their father’s holdings when he died. Before, they would have received a duchy each and be of equal rank. Now that he was King, it meant that Wratislaw would receive the much greater prize of a duchy and a kingdom as the eldest son. Brothers feuding over their father’s land is a story as old as time itself and it did not help that the brothers were opposite personalities. Wratislaw was soft spoken and intelligent. Ratibor was stubborn, vigorous and despised the crippled nature of his brother. Ratibor would be made to end this plot by his father but the damage was done. The two brothers would be hated enemies from that moment on.

1631451141866.png

Despite the continued religious unrest in the Baltic territories, the Kingdom would enter years of relative peace and quiet. The damage caused by the Antipapal War and War of the Griffins would be repaired and Swietopelk III would prove himself as adaptive as ever. The Crownlands of Mazovia and especially the new capital of Plock would prosper over the years. The damaged finances of the Kingdom would also mend as coffers were filled and debts were paid.

1631451201619.png

Swietopelk III, ever proactive, would take personal charge in doing so. He would meet with merchants and other business representatives of his cities and most daring of all, would take lead on a trading expedition. The destination would be modern-day Finland, at the time split between various tribal pagan rulers.

A strange choice of expedition given he had much closer and arguably wealthier neighbours. Though it would secure a steady supply of both high-quality timber and furs. An agreement was made between one of the dominant tribes, the Tribe of Pohjanmaa and the King would return later at the turn of 1131. The expedition was a success and brought in an influx of coin and a new market for other merchants to ply their trades. Swietopelk was praised by the city guilds and his popularity increased further. An usurper or not, he had shown skill in governance, strengthened his new Kingdom and aside from some ‘mild’ tyranny, was still popular among his nobility.

Though I imagine they would be cautious in celebrating with a feast, if you’ll forgive the dry humour.

1631451276708.png

However, there was one more loose end.

Ever since his defeat, the now deposed Wartislaw II had been kept locked in castle dungeons of Plock, no different than a common criminal. While the new Gryfita dynasty had begun with a promising start, loyalists to the Piast dynasty did remain. Loyalists who would reinstate Wratislaw if given the chance and enough support. His claim to throne remained and just like with Sobislav, it was definitely stronger than Swietopelk’s.

It was then quite the fortuitous event that Wratislaw would be killed in a supposed escape attempt on the 19 Feburary 1131.

The official records state that another of the prisoners kept in the dungeons was able to escape from his cell (the exact method how is not stated) and subdued a guard. To cause chaos and mask his escape, he unlocked several cells using the guard’s keys. This included Wratislaw. An alarm was sounded, and other guards descended into the dungeons. In the confusion, Wratislaw was found outside of his cell with other escapees and cut down.

While no evidence connects the King to his death there would be a pattern of those that posed a threat to his reign falling prey to various fatal ‘incidents’. Wratislaw would not be last to suffer such incidents.

1631451420661.png

Three months later in May 1131, King Swietopelk III would welcome a Jewish exile to his court named Nachman of Carpentras. A seemingly minor point to cover at first. Where he fled from is unknown (though Carpentras indicates a French orign) but Swietopelk had inadvertently garnered a reputation with the Jewish enclaves in his Kingdom. He had paid back his loans, stimulated economic growth and through benign neglect had not persecuted them. He was assumedly much more concerned with the Catholic majority in his realm and left the Jewish to their own devices.

Nacham impressed the King with his oratory skills and had no qualms with appointing him Chancellor. Wratislaw, ever the shrewd student, would show great interest in his religion and spent much time learning of the Jewish faith, even requesting a translation of and then reading Torah. This scholarly interest could explain the slight Jewish influence the Slavic faith would have in the future.

1631451524426.png

To continue briefly with religious matters, the next year the King would pass a decree into law. The law was allegedly in response to the growing fear and influence of the Warriors of Perun. Other lesser lords and ladies had been caught and burnt at the stake and action was required. So, King Swietopelk III decreed that any landed individual caught practicing any other religion apart from the official religion of the Kingdom would forfeit their lands, to be distributed at the King’s pleasure. Refusal would be considered treason and punished as so.

This only targeted the landed classes of the Kingdom, not the average serf or freeman. The hope was that this would dissuade other influential individuals adding to the Warrior’s power. This decree would be used to quite the different effect many would expect, though for now let us focus on where Sweitopelk turned his attention to next.

1631451594197.png

This is the suspected period that Swietopelk III looked to the Cumanian horde to his west. Why? Because of Kiev. A combination of political bickering and nomadic pressure from the Cumanians meant that the Kievan Rus had fractured into independent Kingdoms and Duchies, easy prey for the ever-growing horde. The historic capital of Kiev had fallen to a huge invasion in 1119 and with the death of King Gleb shortly after, precipitated the fall of the Kieven Rus.

Why Kiev though? Because for Swietopelk it held special significance. It had been capital of Vladimir the Great, a famous individual converted from paganism to Orthodox Christianity.

He was not seen as some sort of betrayer. Swietopelk III was not Russian and displaying disorganised ways of old Paganism, did not even worship the same gods as him. Nonetheless, Kiev was an important political centre of Rus and the home of pagan shrines and temples before they were knocked down by Vladimir the Great. Swietopelk III perhaps intended to rebuild them and send a message.

His push east first started by targeting the Grand Principality of Volhynia, one of the many duchies that had broken from the Kievan Rus. The lands were blocking his path to Kiev and would need to be under his control.

To do this, he instigated a rather cunning plan. First, he requested a claim from the Pope on the County of Stezyca to the south of his Crowlands. It was owned by Duchess Zofia, the last of the Piast dynasty and currently married to a Rurikid count, so it served to weaken a potential claimant to the throne. The request was granted, using up the last of his goodwill from Pope Leo X.

1631451690599.png

The land was promptly revoked and then given to a new arrival at his court named Danil Rurikid. A distant cousin to the current ruler of the Duchy and thus had a claim. By granting him land within his Kingdom and promising to press his claim in return for his obedience, Swietopelk secured himself a valid reason for war. Duchess Veleslava had been in a futile war to liberate Kiev and thus had little way to resist an invasion. On the 7 April 1133 Swietopelk declared war and invaded the duchy.

The war was one sided, with the only event worth mentioning being the final death knell of the Piast dynasty. Duchess Zofia would be found dead after a balcony had collapsed under her, an ignoble end to the first ruling dynasty of Poland. Her siblings were all dead and those children that survived were of the Rurikid line. As some suspect, an end orcharstraed by the King, though this has not been proven.

1631451883204.png

Swietopelk’s new vassal took charge of the new Polish province in 1134, though not completely. The expanding Pruthenian tribe to the north had seized a piece of the duchy that made direct travel difficult. Giving his forces no time to rest, he pressed his new vassal’s claim to the land and invaded.

The tribe under High Chief Milzas could muster an impressive amount of men but these men were poorly equipped and lacked the heavier core or the cavalry of the Polish. A sizeable battle would take place in Lomza in October ending in Polish victory. By the turn of January 1135, the High Chief officially surrendered the province. Swietopelk now had his access to Kiev.

1631452177513.png

But access was the easy part. Now he had the daunting task of taking it, from his greatest foe yet - the Cumanian horde under Khagan Kopti.

While Swietopelk III had been scheming and warring, Kopti’s predecessor had expanded his domain and brought even the mighty Selkjuk Empire to heel. Now the Turks paid him tribute and most concerningly of all, were obligated to provide aid in war.

1631452230802.png

How would he overcome this? Swietopelk, as always, would adapt; He was a fierce warrior, an affable diplomat and a web-weaver of intrigue. For this challenge, he would use everything he had demonstrated on this rise to power we have borne witness to.

For it would be his grandest campaign yet.

And it would be his last.

Last edited:
  • 10Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
An excellent update! Swietopelk is certainly skilled at assassinating people. How many is he up to now?

Cumania is certainly frightening in this game, and I look forward to seeing the clash of titans! I'm assuming Persian Cumania is not allied with steppe Cumania?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, that's an ominous ending.

The King is indeed very cunning...

And Russia is a fertile land for expansion...

Reactions:
So many "accidents" within one chapter!. I would love to see Poland develop as a refuge not just for Pagans all across Europe, but also a welcoming place for the Jewish diaspora. A pagan Poland would do well to cater to them, as once they openly reject the Church they'll be isolated and lacking in many of the benefits it brought to the kingdom, a niche which the Jewish populace could fill very well. I don't see how the Poles could even dare stand against the Cumans, when the Germans already proved to be far too big a challenge... Also, did you come up with that verse at the beginning? I really liked it :).

• 1Like
Reactions:
An excellent update! Swietopelk is certainly skilled at assassinating people. How many is he up to now?

Cumania is certainly frightening in this game, and I look forward to seeing the clash of titans! I'm assuming Persian Cumania is not allied with steppe Cumania?
Thank you! And I believe that makes around 6 people, so as much as he can be painted as a noble hero, skullduggery was not out of his skillset. And this was a case of the Seljuk's becoming tributary of the Cumanians, which means they can be called into wars by their masters. An impossible amount of men to deal with...

Well, that's an ominous ending.

The King is indeed very cunning...

And Russia is a fertile land for expansion...
Thank you! The Kievan Rus collapsed damn quickly, which meant the horde could take full advantage. And such disparte warlord states are indeed prime targets. But like in history, these can be fought over between two far greater powers.

So many "accidents" within one chapter!. I would love to see Poland develop as a refuge not just for Pagans all across Europe, but also a welcoming place for the Jewish diaspora. A pagan Poland would do well to cater to them, as once they openly reject the Church they'll be isolated and lacking in many of the benefits it brought to the kingdom, a niche which the Jewish populace could fill very well. I don't see how the Poles could even dare stand against the Cumans, when the Germans already proved to be far too big a challenge... Also, did you come up with that verse at the beginning? I really liked it :).
Thank you! I figured that I'd play along with the event. Poland historically was pretty tolerant to the Jewish and I figured that benign neglect would settle in and Swietopelk for all his cunning, does pay his dues on time. Without those loans he could not have done so much. As for the Cumans, you are correct, but a decentralised horde is perhaps more unwieldly than a decentralised empire. There are routes to take...

And yes, I did think that up. I'm glad you enjoyed the little verse. I like to flesh out the world a bit with tidbits of lore.

• 2Like
Reactions:
This was a really fun update. I liked the bit of rhyme at the beginning.

Also it seems to me that the tributary relationship should fall away once the chief of Cumania dies; not that our hero would stoop to assassination or anything.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
And this was a case of the Seljuk's becoming tributary of the Cumanians, which means they can be called into wars by their masters. An impossible amount of men to deal with...
Oh, I guess I've never seen a tributary before. Did you know Cumania had subjugated the Seljuks when you attacked?

• 1Like
Reactions:
A great update - really enjoyed it and its adept narrative pacing while incorporating the game aspects.

This made the seizure a little easier to choke down to his vassals as it seemed sensible.
Better than choking on adulterated wine.
It was then quite the fortuitous event that Wratislaw would be killed in a supposed escape attempt on the 19 Feburary 1131.
Fortuitous indeed. Mwahaha!
The hope was that this would dissuade other influential individuals adding to the Warrior’s power. This decree would be used to quite the different effect many would expect, though for now let us focus on where Sweitopelk turned his attention to next.
Very crafty and forward-looking. A time will come …
Duchess Zofia would be found dead after a balcony had collapsed under her
:D He’s very effective in literally getting away with murder.
Now he had the daunting task of taking it, from his greatest foe yet - the Cumanian horde under Khagan Kopti.
Cumania is a beast … that needs slaying.

Great stuff!

• 1Like
Reactions:
This was a really fun update. I liked the bit of rhyme at the beginning.

Also it seems to me that the tributary relationship should fall away once the chief of Cumania dies; not that our hero would stoop to assassination or anything.
Assasination? What do you mean? as far as historical records go - they were all tragic accidents or failed escape attempts. ;) But thank you for reading, I am glad you liked it. Nomadic realms are famed for their instability after all...
Oh, I guess I've never seen a tributary before. Did you know Cumania had subjugated the Seljuks when you attacked?
I did not. It was only when I zoomed out to take a screenshot that I saw their name spread over the map. It made me pause and reconsider. As I said, this has been a bit of a challenge to myself to see how I can reform one of the harder faiths that turned into an AAR. So this made me pause and think.
A great update - really enjoyed it and its adept narrative pacing while incorporating the game aspects.

Better than choking on adulterated wine.

Fortuitous indeed. Mwahaha!

Very crafty and forward-looking. A time will come …

:D He’s very effective in literally getting away with murder.

Cumania is a beast … that needs slaying.

Great stuff!
Thank you very much! It was quite the eventful episode. It was a nice challenge to try and find ways to incoprate these shadowy dealings into a history book style. I figure with historical hindsight it would be easy to see just how quickly those who posed a threat to the new order found themselves having unfortunate accidents. Cumania is a beast that must be overcome, we will have to see how he does so...

Reactions:
A deadly man, that one. I'll just stand in this corner, minding my own business.

Reactions:
A deadly man, that one. I'll just stand in this corner, minding my own business.
Rules for rulers - if someone is in your way or no longer of use, they must be eliminated. :p But thank you for reading! I imagine that most who were unhappy soon learned to keep their thoughts to themselves.
Great Update! Now the question is how will the boys get along!
Thank you for reading! And yes, we will see. The two are opposites and succession can always be messy...

• 2Like
Reactions:
King Swietopelk III of Poland - The 'Liberator' (1136 - 1139)
King Swietopelk III of Poland - The 'Liberator' (1136 - 1139)
“I look to the past, to the foolhardy, vigorous child I was and I weep. For that child is dead.” – King Swietopelk III, writing in the Red Manuscript

For some context towards Swietopelk’s final military campaign, we must first take a brief detour. Let us briefly discuss how Cumania gained such a potent subordinate. Calling Cumania an empire suggests a level of homogeneity that did not exist. While at their zenith they claimed control over large swathes of the Pontic–Caspian steppe, they were more a confederation of khans under a khaganate. These khans normally had a great deal of autonomy, perhaps even more so than a typical feudal vassal.

This decentralised approach did lean towards instability and infighting but despite this (or perhaps because of it), the horsemen of the steppes were feared opponents and for good reason.

The Seljuk Empire, under Sultan Mohammad the Great had hit the proverbial wall against Emperor Alexios of the Byzantine Empire throughout the 1120s. The Sultanate of Rum had all but been destroyed and Alexios had proven to be quite the emperor, marking a turn in the ailing Empire’s fortunes after the initial Seljuk advances and the mixed results of the First Crusade. The Sultan had raised crippling taxes to fund his war efforts which had angered his vassals and the peasants. By 1127, uprisings and rebellion had sprung up all over his Empire.

Thus Khagan Atrak, Kopti’s brother and predecessor, seized on the weakness and would crash down onto the weakened empire, declaring war that same year.

1632055219502.png

By 1132 Sultan Mohammed was forced to surrender and become a tributary of Cumania. The mighty Sultan now had to bend the knee to unwashed nomadic heathens. Having exhausted themselves against their western rivals and under great duress, they were unable to mount and effective defence against an on paper inferior foe. The exact same way the Sassanids fell to the Muslims nearly 500 years ago.

History does have a habit of if not repeating itself, then at least rhyming.

But to pivot back to our focus in 1136, it meant that while the Seljuk’s were hardly a loyal vassal, they could bring ten thousand men to the field. Combined with the various khan’s horsemen it would be a number that Swietopelk III could never hope to defeat. Do recall that an unpopular war against a vastly superior foe had paved the way for him to take over. We do not know how many men and women of nobility were part of the Warriors of Perun but religious or personal loyalty would only go so far. It would almost certainly not be far enough to fight a war scene as hopeless or suicidal.

To combat this lack of will, Swietopelk III would embark on a diplomatic campaign. As part of his ascension, he had promised and delivered on making sure that his council would have say on any war declarations. The seizure of weakened duchies and poorly trained pagans to his west had been approved without any problems, but this was an entirely different league of an opponent.

To those not on his council and/or not a part of his secret society of pagans, Swietoplek III would offer stirring speech of rescuing repressed, if misguided and astray Christians. To those not swayed, favours and bribes would be used. For those a part of the Warriors, they must have known how important it could be to have the capital holding of a great pagan turned Christian like Vladimir the Great back under ‘proper’ religious rule. Bribes and favours would be used once more and political favours on his council. King Swietopelk III would have his popular support. There was the social aspect.

The next step would not prove to be so clean.

Khagan Kopti was a fearsome commander and thought little of making examples of those who would resist him. As decentralised as Cumania was, the Khagan had been using his power to make the other lesser tribes give up their autonomy. He was not liked, but it in many cases it medieval times it was better to be feared than loved.

But not in all cases. Kopti was as much as a feaster as Swietopelk was and it would prove to be his downfall. For on 18 October 1136 the Khagan would die foaming at the mouth from poisoned wine. However, the servant who had poured the wine was caught trying to flee and tortured into confessing the names of his taskmasters. Disgruntled clansmen, Orthodox Russians and King Swietopelk III himself.

1632055544790.png

Both the tribesmen and the Russians had reasons to work with the Polish King. The clansmen disliked his centralisation attempts and the Orthodox population disliked being under a pagan nomad, thus King Swietopelk III had all the inside help he could need. He must have also had a considerable network of agents and spies to be able to arrange such a scheme 500 miles away from his capital. Another sign of the strength of the Warriors of Perun perhaps?

Regardless, Kopti’s death had the desired effect twofold. First, it destabilised the region and saw lesser clans or territories recently added break away in the confusion. Second, it forced a war. The new Khagan Kubasar was Kopti’s brother and vowed revenge. Promising to, allegedly, ‘drown all of Poland in blood’. There was the web-weaving for now war would come to him, no matter what.

Kubasar would have his chance. Come the 2 January 1137, King Swietopelk III would formally declare war and martial every man he could, including mercenaries. Between good management and the (relative and arguably forced) support of his vassals, Swietopelk III could martial nearly 13000 men.

Defeat was not an option. It was victory or death.

Swietopelk III would gather his forces in Brezesc before marching on towards Kiev in early 1137. His assassination had worked a little too well, for one of those minor tribes that had broken away had seized Vozviahel, effectively cutting off a direct land border between the Kiev Duchy and Poland. The chief had no way to resist so many men crossing his borders, but it would make any future administration even more of a headache.

Kiev was put to siege in July the same year, with the Seljuk Turks formally joining their ‘master’ in the war. They brought another 10000 men to the field, in theory. If they joined forces with Cumania, then the war was lost. If the Khagan could be brought to the table before they marched the required 1000 miles, then Swietopelk III could achieve in victory through defeat in detail.

1632055726497.png

This was a moot point if they lost to the Khagan’s main force. The siege was broken as scouts reported said force approaching the Dnieper River at speed. Swietopelk III was going to take a page out of Sobislav’s book from his battle at Cieszyn.

Like many nomadic tribes, Kopti’s army consisted almost entirely of cavalry. 6000 light cavalry and 4000 horse archers meant that on the flat terrain of Kiev they would run literal circles around Swietopelk’s more infantry-based force. Nomadic tactics favoured hit and run and harassment, taking advantage of their unmatched mobility to break up pockets of infantry and without the correct terrain or overwhelming numbers, armies at the time had little counter.

It would be for this reason that Swietopelk III would march his army to line up across Dnieper River. It was a vital chokepoint and the only way to cross was by fording along shallow points or by narrow, scattered bridges. The King had sent out a small detachment of horsemen to collapse the nearest bridges and made ready for battle.

On the 4 August 1137 Khagan Kopti would arrive and make is move. Hoping to press his cavalry superiority and perhaps a desire for revenge over his brother, he wasted no time in sending his horsemen over the fords. It was Swietopelk’s estimated 13000 men against a nomadic collation force of 12000. This was where Swietopelk III pressed his first advantage.

Horse archers used composite bows. These were smaller and shorter ranged than traditional bows which meant that Swietopelk’s archers could outrange the horse archers and had a concentrated point of fire to target. Many men would be killed or drowned under the fire.

With only 2000 archers however, there were enough arrows to break the crossing and soon enough the horsemen would charge his lines. He had put his heaviest troops in the front to receive the charge, most armed with spears or swords. Much like with Sobieslav, there were no graceful tactics, just brutal fighting and holding the line.

The horse archers would also begin to return fire, focusing on the foot archers. Swietopelk III had prepared for this and mixed in lighter troops in with them to try and shield the archers from the fire.

Scores would be cut down by arrows on both sides and the fighting at the front quickly devolved into a shoving contest. Horsemen would break off, only to be replaced by others and leading those unable to resist chasing after them to their deaths. Swietopelk III would play his final card and circle around with his cavalry, charging into the sides of the veritable horde of horsemen to relieve pressure on the front. His light cavalry was mostly equipped with spears and the charge had the desired effect.

1632055928733.png

The exhausting fight would continue for the rest of the day. By nightfall, Swietopelk III had achieved victory at great cost. Both sides would take equal casualties, leaving an estimated 8000 men dead.

1632056028164.png

The forces of Kopti fled back over the Dniper into the Steppes. It had been a close victory and Swietopelk’s men were exhausted after such a savage fight. Though there would be no time for rest. Swietopelk would march them across the Dniper in apparent chase of their foe.

At face value it seems like a miscalculation to chase after a horsebound foe into their home territory. That is because arguably it is, though there was reasoning behind it.

The plan was to construct a fort to act both as a supply base for the upcoming siege and as a forward watchtower of sorts to alert the besiegers if any sizeable force was on the march. As awkwardly cut off as they were now, being surrounded or sallied against during a siege was not an option. It was for this reason that they would march to Priluk, salvaging what timber they could find and having the whole force rest there while the fort was constructed.

However, Swietopelk misjudged his opponent.

While some of the nomadic forces had disbanded or deserted, they had recovered far quicker than expected. Instead of running away to regroup further inland, they had merely regrouped in Sugrov and in only a couple of months they were back on the warpath. Swietopelk had let his guard down and was about to pay for it, scouts would report an army of nearly 7000 horsemen were on their way. There was no time to pull back - they had overextended.

On the next day, the 16 January 1138, with the fort still only a basic square of sharpened stakes, the Battle of Priluk began.

There was no advantageous terrain or even a battleplan this time. The archers would be sequestered inside the still incomplete fort and then the army wrapped around the wooden walls to protect their backs.

With around 9000 men still able to fight, Swietopelk had a numerical advantage but that was it. The enemy horsemen would refuse to be locked into a fight with the infantry, so the King led his cavalry in person to lock down the horsemen. Estimates put him as being locally outnumbered at least 2:1.

1632056115549.png

'The Charge at Priluk' by Iwo Bodo 1941. Note how Swietopelk is depicted in the light, a thundercloud above him ( a sign of Perun's favor), with the Cumans portrayed in a sickly green and in retreat. This battle, like many, would be made more romantic and glorious than it was.

The archers would target the horsemen as before, though had no protection other than the walls from return arrow fire and would take considerable losses.

The brash plan proved to be a success in locking down the horsemen in combat. The heavier infantry would surge forwards and pull many riders off their horses. Though it would not be without a price.

In the thick of the fighting, Swietopelk’s helmet would come loose, and a horseman would break through his bodyguards and slash the King across the face, wounding him and killing his white horse from under him. The assailant was cut down and the ranks closed around their King. In the end, they would have another bloody and costly victory. It was perhaps the closest he had come to death in his life and many have noted it was a similar fate that King Boleslaw had suffered, a curved blade another inch or two in a more vital spot, or a fall at a slightly different angle and history as we know it could have been radically changed.

1632057019213.png

They would fall back to Kiev and begin the siege in earnest. The fort would never be completed and deemed a waste of effort. This is often accounted as the first major tactical error the King had made. At all times there was worry and concern of an army crossing the Dniper and destroying their now much battered force, but the threat never materialised. The Grand City itself would fall by May through forced assaults and negotiations for surrender began soon after.

Khagan Kubasar was eager for peace and would accept giving up the Duchy of Kiev in its entirety. His authority had been dashed, his forces routed and worst of all, sensing weakness, the Seljuk Turks initially on the way to aid them entered open rebellion against their masters. Kopti had too many fires to put out to give time to his revenge.

Swietopelk III had gambled and won. It had cost him greatly, but the famous city was now under his direct control.

1632057120901.png

Recovering from his wounds (and leaving a nasty scar) he would order months of feasting and celebration within his Kingdom, having liberated his fellow, if misguided, Christians from the nomadic yoke.

Khagan Kubasar would do the same later that year, to drum up support for his reign, just like his brother. And he would die, just like his brother. Sending the once mighty confederation into a downward spiral it would not recover from. Was this tactical? Spiteful revenge? Perhaps both?

1632057263946.png

It was Swietopelk’s last military campaign. At age 52 he was now approaching his elder years. His final years. Publicly, he would be jubilant in his victory.

In his Manuscript he would be distraught at how careless and reckless he had been, coming within a single stroke of death. The young 19-year-old raider who lived for combat was long gone. He would never take the blade again and it is after this period that historians note his writings in the Manuscript becoming more fatalistic and blunter, devoid of his usual prose. Contempartery records also note this change of personality, for there would be no more private feasts. The picture painted is one of a man who has withdrawn and seen and done far too much for a mind to bear. His pride had been torn asunder.

If you'll forgive a quote from The Legends - '"O foolish King" decried Perun. "Pride is water - in a cup it can sustain you, in a river it can drown you."' Many assume that his son had seen the effect the battle had on his father and thus included this in his future works, thought that is debated fiercly. But I digress.

For there was one more battle that had to be one. One that had been raging in the background of his Kingdom since he took power in 1113. Though this was not a battle of blade and bow, but that on faith and belief.

A battle that was nearing its conclusion.

And it would prove to be just as bloody as his last.

1632057316415.png

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Good work beating Cumania! Those were some harrowing battles, but you came through!

I'm really liking how we get a feel of Swietopelk's feelings through his own writings, historians speculating, and hints at future events. The style is really well done and fun to read.

I look forward to the religious reveal since I imagine it will come as quite a shock to many people in the realm. It's fine if you don't want to give away how many people are in the Warriors of Perun, but we know for sure that the duchy of Kiev is not, guaranteeing at least one opponent.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Really beautiful character work. Every step in the political ladder takes Swietopelk further away from his origins as an idealistic young man. And perhaps the king did not appreciate the distinction between honourable combat and cold-blooded murder. The latter seems to weigh on him in a way the former never did.

Reactions:
Good work beating Cumania! Those were some harrowing battles, but you came through!

I'm really liking how we get a feel of Swietopelk's feelings through his own writings, historians speculating, and hints at future events. The style is really well done and fun to read.

I look forward to the religious reveal since I imagine it will come as quite a shock to many people in the realm. It's fine if you don't want to give away how many people are in the Warriors of Perun, but we know for sure that the duchy of Kiev is not, guaranteeing at least one opponent.
Thank you! I did enjoy the challenge, I don't mind these bigger risks. A constant upwards trend is dull after all! There will be opponents, and while not all that possible to simulate in game, I do have a few things in mind to detail the event.

The Cumans aren't long for this world I reckon.
Thank you for reading! Indeed, nomadic realms are incredibly unstable and the AI can struggle to pull it back.
Really beautiful character work. Every step in the political ladder takes Swietopelk further away from his origins as an idealistic young man. And perhaps the king did not appreciate the distinction between honourable combat and cold-blooded murder. The latter seems to weigh on him in a way the former never did.
Thank you very much! We have to remember he is 52 and has been 'in charge' of lands since he was 19. He has seen and done much in his life and I can imagine that such a miscalculation in battle and near death experience would make him rather jaded. Heavy weighs the crown after all - and it will get heavier.

As an aside, this was a more wordy and battlelike update, I was trying to describe the battle scenes in a way that made them interesting to read. I do hope people have enjoyed everything thus far. Swietopelk's journey is reaching it's end...

Reactions:
Khagan Kubasar would do the same later that year, to drum up support for his reign, just like his brother. And he would die, just like his brother. Sending the once mighty confederation into a downward spiral it would not recover from. Was this tactical? Spiteful revenge? Perhaps both?
Well, he proves himself a slow learner! This successive murder gig seems to be a good way of splintering large nomadic realms apart if it can be managed.
this was not a battle of blade and bow, but that on faith and belief
And will probably be more difficult in some ways as a result.
As an aside, this was a more wordy and battlelike update, I was trying to describe the battle scenes in a way that made them interesting to read. I do hope people have enjoyed everything thus far. Swietopelk's journey is reaching it's end...
It was well done, with some extra dramatic detail woven in. Such significant battles deserve the extra treatment. Enjoying the story and looking forward to seeing the religion developed, reformed and trying to stand up to the dominant Abrahamic faiths.

Reactions: