• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

thelegolas38

Recruit
1 Badges
May 31, 2014
  • Sword of the Stars II
I explain my question :
i didn't understand why the Canon fusion by example make 8-18 of damage but next level of tech are less powerfull :
plasma projecteur 4-8
plasma polarised 4-5
??

And it's the same for cinetique weapons : mass driver 14 of damage
ball PB 5
rafallor 4

I didn't understand the interest to spend a lot of research ressources to get a weapon half less powerful than the weapon i use since the very beginning of the play !
In fact i use only mass driver since the beginning because it's seem to be the most powerfull weapon of the game 14 point of damage ....
I never found more powerfull yet (180 turn )

I think there is something i really didn't understand (or the game suck a lot and it's seems not ;-))

Hey there thelegolas38. Quite often when the higher tech weapon has lower damage values its because it fire more projectiles in a single volley or it has a gimnick such as armour piercing that makes it more valuable in certain situations. For example the fusion canon has a damage of 8-18 but fires 1 shot and the plasma projector has a damage of 4-8 but fires 30 shots (shot gun style!). Plasma polarized only does 4-5 damage but ignores up to 5 Blue armour layers meaning it always does full damage.

Sots has a very intricate weapons/armour system where weapon damage is a value that also corresponds to a specific damage pattern against the armor matrix (green grids on your ships in combat). The blue armour layers subtract an entire row from the damage for each blue layer on top of the green grid. This means that some weapons cannot damage some ships at all until the armour has been removed (by using something like polarised plasma).

The sots 2 wikki has a complete listing of all the weapons, their damage patterns, and their various stats and features. I suggest you check them out if you want to understand how complex the game can really be :)

http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex