Why do you love Europa Universalis & how would you explain it to a friend?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My answer:

"What other game could you possibly play as Luxembourg in 1399 and by 1821 drop a massive ownage bomb on all of ze world?! 'Nuff said."

"Imagine the campaign mode of Total War (substitute Risk/Civ etc) but real time, and hard. Plus multiplayer!"

This game is probably the game I played the most of all games I played during my ~25 years of gaming.
Why?
Well, if you like strategy games there is just no other company who makes them as good as Paradox, it's the perfect blend between complex and easy to get into.
You can play Any country you like and you can start at the date you want and if you want to add your own country you can do that aswell or change pretty much anything you like!
And if you don't like tinkering yourself the community is busy making all sorts of interesting mods so it's not hard to find the bits and pieces you want to try, you will be busy for years :)

Been playing since 2000 and tell anyone that will listen to me about the games.
Have had more than 30 people buy and play. Just by starting game and let them play.
Giving advice when asked.

The game is simply enthralling and captivating. I work full time and am a very social person, I have only had the game for just over a year and have clocked 600 hrs in game. Thats 25 real days playing in that short space of time. I think my wife may leave me.......but who cares, I have EU3.

it has that historical feeling, it's really immersive, it feels like reliving history especially after the expansions that made countries very different from each other

I would say: "Imagine a country. Now imagine that people there actually listen to what you say. Then imagine that you can tell them who they want to be, it can be virtually anything. Lastly, imagine that you can take them and their progeny through 400 years of development to make them who you have told them they want to be and viola!" Oh, and they won't make it easy on you.

I would say: "Imagine a country. Now imagine that people there actually listen to what you say. Then imagine that you can tell them who they want to be, it can be virtually anything. Lastly, imagine that you can take them and their progeny through 400 years of development to make them who you have told them they want to be and viola!" Oh, and they won't make it easy on you.

"Imagine you can make a zombie soliders, that will never betray you, and you run a country, that if you keep certain things up, will propably never revolt unless you are very unlucky. No this is not new heroes. It is Europa universalis III"

I'm what my sister calls a "closet nerd," in that I don't actually wear my EU3-playing on my sleeves. XD

But if I were to "come out of the closet," I'd say its because history is fun...and sometimes it's fun to give history the finger. :)

Not to mention the game is really complex, yet at the same time, fairly simple to use. I never got into HOI or Victoria as much as EU3 because they're way too busy.

I love the strategy behind EU3, the fact that you plan ahead even hundreds of years, constantly adapting your strategy to events that happen in the game (leader deaths, etc). I don't really know how to explain it to friends, you have to play the game to know what its about really.

Who could resist the allure of being able to walk in the shoes of Columbus, Napoleon and other greats all in a course of one game.

Find America, inherit Habsburg Austria, siege and control Muscowy. Outcompete Hansa, Genoa & Venice, trade in slaves and colonize. Crusade, control pope, get excommunicated and driven out of your lands by the Timurids.

Last edited:
In what other game could i conquer the new world as Ireland ? or become the Holy Roman Emperor as Brandenburg ? Or unify Asia under the Byzantine Empire? all while never getting boring,and made by a company whose more worried about making a great game and not how much money they could make ? other than all that no particular reason.