• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Crusades shouldn't be a DLC... They re worked them around three times since 1.0. Do you really want DLCs for core mechanics?

And... India was important for the Muslims. And Muslims are part of this game too, like Christians.

yes,because core elements of the game are broken,like for example crusades,the HRE,even the ERE who got a worthless DLC,and severley needs another.

Sometimes,mods try to fix these core aspects of the game,they even make them better,and that makes me wonder : "If unpaid amateurs are capable of finding ways to fix this game,how come the paid professional employees of CK II fail so badly ? "

I was promised this game will have an medieval vibe to it,and it is lacking.Even with Role play,some bugs,and Ai retardness makes the game unplayable from some point of view,at least for me

yes,because core elements of the game are broken,like for example crusades,the HRE,even the ERE who got a worthless DLC,and severley needs another.

Sometimes,mods try to fix these core aspects of the game,they even make them better,and that makes me wonder : "If unpaid amateurs are capable of finding ways to fix this game,how come the paid professional employees of CK II fail so badly ? "

I was promised this game will have an medieval vibe to it,and it is lacking.Even with Role play,some bugs,and Ai retardness makes the game unplayable from some point of view,at least for me

The game isn't unplayable... But okay... This is your opinion. And paradox even improved the crusades. Remember the crusades in CK2 1.0... At this point they were bad.

Well, generally a mod will fix one thing, at least from the point of view of the person making the mod, and break other things, but that's OK because now <favoured culture> does what it should, or "it's now possible to fake X form of succession for this one kingdom" even though it breaks several other kingdoms. The better mods improve things, but even those are subject to argument as to whether they improve the whole game - otherwise everyone would be playing that one mod, unless they're wanting a fantasy scenario like GoT. As everyone /isn't/ playing the same mod, I'd dare to suggest that the mods are also far from perfect.

And if you've found bugs, I hope you're reporting them. If you've got ways around the AI being stupid, then suggest solutions. Similarly for flavour issues.
I'd say the ERE DLC was far from worthless - new mechanics that make the ERE play more like the ERE supposedly functioned (withdrawing duchy level titles, born in the purple, and so on), retinues and so forth.

The game isn't unplayable... But okay... This is your opinion. And paradox even improved the crusades. Remember the crusades in CK2 1.0... At this point they were bad.

I think he has a point. Maybe it's just a matter of perspective, but it looks like unpaid modders are making nice mods while Paradox -with paid professionals- releases rather "weak" dlc with many bugs and is slow at fixing the game.
I won't say it's unplayable or unenjoyable -and I'm sorry if anyone thinks I'm underesetimating their effort- but sometimes it feels like Paradox doesn't pay much attention to this game.

I think he has a point. Maybe it's just a matter of perspective, but it looks like unpaid modders are making nice mods while Paradox -with paid professionals- releases rather "weak" dlc with many bugs and is slow at fixing the game.
I won't say it's unplayable or unenjoyable -and I'm sorry if anyone thinks I'm underesetimating their effort- but sometimes it feels like Paradox doesn't pay much attention to this game.

The most of the mods change the balancing of the whole game to make this... And not everyone is fine with this...

The most of the mods change the balancing of the whole game to make this... And not everyone is fine with this...

What does it have to do with what I'm saying? What I'm saying is that some people are making awesome mods like Witcher Kings or AGoT without getting paid, but Paradox, with a paid, professional team release dlc like RoI, with relatively small new content and with bugs.
I know it's unfair comparing a whole project wih a dlc, but I still feel like there are many things to be fixed, and instead of that we get thing like portraits, music or India... Which has a minimal impact to the rest of the world due to the natural barriers.

I totally agree with you OP. A trait would be nice along with an addition to the education system to receive that trait. There is no sensible argument against the relevance of this.
There are knights in the game but aside from a few events with reference them, if you didn't know any better you would never be able to identify them, which is why questions like these pop up once in a while. If it was seen fit to include the traits for the caste system then it should be equally logical to add one for Europe. Naturally, they could have different names or equivalent titles depending on where they hail from.

There are literally two DLC that don't have much to do with Europe. Compare with The Old Gods, Legacy of Rome, Sons of Abraham, The Republic, and for the flip side of crusades, Sword of Islam.

Every lowborn is a potential knight in noble realms. Your army is full of them. Being a knight wasn't as special as some might think.
Every courtier you have, as a noble, is lower nobility or knight. It doesn't make a difference though. As has been said, nothing special about being a knight among other nobility.

Knights are semi-professional soldiers. Not much more.

/thread

Every lowborn is a potential knight in noble realms. Your army is full of them. Being a knight wasn't as special as some might think.

In modern times, when people think of knights they think of something like a Teutonic Knight, not something like a minor Polish nobleman with a tiny castle and a couple horses, along with a shoddy set of armor and sword.

What does it have to do with what I'm saying? What I'm saying is that some people are making awesome mods like Witcher Kings or AGoT without getting paid, but Paradox, with a paid, professional team release dlc like RoI, with relatively small new content and with bugs.
I know it's unfair comparing a whole project wih a dlc, but I still feel like there are many things to be fixed, and instead of that we get thing like portraits, music or India... Which has a minimal impact to the rest of the world due to the natural barriers.

Small content? Small content?! Do you een know how much work it is to fill hundreds of provinces with historical characters for 867 and 1066-1336?! I'm a modder on my own and make a map mod. And I know how hard it is to fill this! They need to do research for this. Then they need to program then, give them balanced family trees... It's more work then you think. And then there are all the new features for Indian rulers. All the things they make moddable. Do you even read the changelog how much they change next to the DLC? They fix things in the patches not in the DLCs. And which is a ntaural barrier for India? Do you know how important India was for Persia? There was allways contact between them and Arabia. At the old map Persia was cutted in the east. This wasn't a good setup. They even moved provinces westward to keep them on the map in the old setup. And the new dipolmatic range was asked many times before India. Small new content... Maybe in the DLC itself. But it was very much to do. And if you add that much new content of course you will get bugs and problems.

If you know to programm, then make a better game. And sorry... Just because some mods have a good balancing don't mean any thing. They changed the whole balancing to reach this. Paradox can't change the whole balancing like a mod. Not without troubles.

In modern times, when people think of knights they think of something like a Teutonic Knight, not something like a minor Polish nobleman with a tiny castle and a couple horses, along with a shoddy set of armor and sword.

I blame the romanticism of the 19th century and Hollywood (Somehow the US has to be part of the blame, right ?...of course :D. Well they prolonged that romantic stuff).

Kinghts from the lesser nobility are represented as Heavy Cavalry -and they don't deserve more, why should we fuck up the game performance representing a silly nobleman with three horses and a small manor-, and the Noblest Knights among Knights are noble NPCs with high martial skill. Why the heck would I need a special trait for that? If he has a very high Martial Skill I start using him in Martial tasks and hence, he is my Knight -commanding my armies, training my troops, educating my future knights, et cetera. I don't think you need too much imagination to understand all of that.

Being a knight wasn't THAT special: minor noble Knights were soldiers who could afford better equipment and training due to their social position, and the noblest of them were commanders. In each contry their responsibilities could vary, but that's not important in the context of CK2.

Last edited:
Kinghts from the lesser nobility are represented as Heavy Cavalry -and they don't deserve more, why should we fuck up the game performance representing a silly nobleman with three horses and a small manor-, and the Noblest Knights among Knights are noble NPCs with high martial skill. Why the heck would I need a special trait for that? If he has a very high Martial Skill I start using him in Martial tasks and hence, he is my Knight -commanding my armies, training my troops, educating my future knights, et cetera. I don't think you need too much imagination to understand all of that.

Being a knight wasn't THAT special: minor noble Knights were soldiers who could afford better equipment and training due to their social position, and the noblest of them were commanders. In each contry their responsibilities could vary, but that's not important in the context of CK2.

The most important era of knighthood is unimportant to knights? Explain that logic.

Last edited:
The most important era of knighthood is unimportant to knights? Explain that logic.
No, knights are represented right now. Except they don't particularly matter to the time period. Knights are small land holders, who are effectively paid in land in return for providing their levy. As representing their land would require probably 30 or 40 times the amount of holdings we have now, it's pointless to do so, and much more efficient to abstract it as improving your holding buildings and paying your levy in gold. Sure, there are romanticized stories about the greatness and heroism of knights, and occasionally a relatively lowborn knight would show up at someone's court and be mildly important, but there's nothing special about being a knight. Knights wouldn't even get martial bonuses, as there wasn't anything about being a knight that made them a better commander. The only thing that would make any sense is having some courtiers with a pointless honorary title attached to them (I'm pretty sure baron's don't get much prestige from their title, and barons should be much more prestigious than knights).

Small content? Small content?! Do you een know how much work it is to fill hundreds of provinces with historical characters for 867 and 1066-1336?! I'm a modder on my own and make a map mod. And I know how hard it is to fill this! They need to do research for this. Then they need to program then, give them balanced family trees... It's more work then you think. And then there are all the new features for Indian rulers. All the things they make moddable. Do you even read the changelog how much they change next to the DLC? They fix things in the patches not in the DLCs. And which is a ntaural barrier for India? Do you know how important India was for Persia? There was allways contact between them and Arabia. At the old map Persia was cutted in the east. This wasn't a good setup. They even moved provinces westward to keep them on the map in the old setup. And the new dipolmatic range was asked many times before India. Small new content... Maybe in the DLC itself. But it was very much to do. And if you add that much new content of course you will get bugs and problems.

If you know to programm, then make a better game. And sorry... Just because some mods have a good balancing don't mean any thing. They changed the whole balancing to reach this. Paradox can't change the whole balancing like a mod. Not without troubles.

I was talking abut the dlc, not the base game. And aside from history, in my games India hardly interacts with non-Indian realms, so it usually sits there without expanding or being conquered. I'm not saying that RoI is a bad dlc -I play it sometimes and aside from some bugs it's fun- but as you've said Paradox has put lots of effort on a content that has a small impact in my games, all while I'm still suffering bugs -like the changing CoA- that have been roaming around for quite some time.
And the rest of the dlc -Except the Old Gods or The Republic- offer a small amount of content to the game -or they simply unlock it-
Also, the mods I've mentioned do not change the balance of the game, they remake the map completely with lots of new mechanics and then balance it.

I was talking abut the dlc, not the base game. And aside from history, in my games India hardly interacts with non-Indian realms, so it usually sits there without expanding or being conquered. I'm not saying that RoI is a bad dlc -I play it sometimes and aside from some bugs it's fun- but as you've said Paradox has put lots of effort on a content that has a small impact in my games, all while I'm still suffering bugs -like the changing CoA- that have been roaming around for quite some time.
And the rest of the dlc -Except the Old Gods or The Republic- offer a small amount of content to the game -or they simply unlock it-
Also, the mods I've mentioned do not change the balance of the game, they remake the map completely with lots of new mechanics and then balance it.

This is the problem... Many people don't see the content Paradox is adding with the patch, because they just look at the direct DLC content... But the patch adds the most content. :(