• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Vikings just seem a bit out of the games time span - by 1066, the "Viking" raids had mostly stopped, though there were still plenty of Norsemen. I was really hoping for a pagan DLC dealing with eastern paganism - Zoroastrionism, or Romuva or something along those lines.

Zoroastrianism isn't actually even pagan by the most common definitions, since it's monotheistic. /ot

Even though I don't share the same love for drugged up barbarians who did nothing but kill and rape as many people seem to, I'd love to play as a nation that was struggling against them like Britain or France.

Don't worry, this seems to be a Norse DLC not a Vatican DLC...

well played, and I would be inclined to agree with you. Though pagan just typically means "country dwellers" or "religion of the country" - usually meaning any religion outside of Christian Urban Centers.

It's so obviously vikings... You can even see the dragon head of a longboat just to the left of those cliffs. Hope they're going to roll back the date a little though. Even though I don't share the same love for drugged up barbarians who did nothing but kill and rape as many people seem to, I'd love to play as a nation that was struggling against them like Britain or France.

You don't really know anything about Vikings, so maybe you should read some history before you come up with an opinion.

It's so obviously vikings... You can even see the dragon head of a longboat just to the left of those cliffs. Hope they're going to roll back the date a little though. Even though I don't share the same love for drugged up barbarians who did nothing but kill and rape as many people seem to, I'd love to play as a nation that was struggling against them like Britain or France.

And here folks, we have a guy that hasn't read a history book written within his lifetime.

Vikings did much, much more than "kill and rape", and the Christians of the era were equally violent (in fact, the focal point of the game is a prime example of that). The difference is, all of the writings from that era are from Christians as the Old Norse didn't keep a written record, and if that's all you go on you'll have a very biased, and out of date, point of view.

Yes, the Norse did indeed rape, kill, plunder and pillage. So did the Saxons. And the Angles. And the Jutes. And the Franks. And the Goths. And the Vandals. And the Magyars. And that Avars. And the Huns. And the Mongols.

Of course, of those groups, only the Norse managed to discover a new continent. Only the Norse decided to go against the grain and sail east into Russia and Byzantium, where everyone else decided to just go for the softest targets, generally to the west. And, aside from the Goths, few of those groups adopted civilization as quickly as the Norse.

You forgot also 'trade'.

And why say everyone Vikings? Norse Pagan should it be!

And farmers. And builders. And artisans. And explorers. And settlers. And mercenaries. And lawmakers. And writers. And poets. Thralldom and religious tolerance included, though slaves could be freed and rulers could feel threatened by Christian crusades.

Problem is, you'd have to go way back to Harald Bluetooth in the case of Denmark and southern Norway to still find pagan rulers, apart from in Sweden. As I don't think that's realistic perhaps its (to go with the picture) a Grælending expansion, where Christianity has already been embraced by the majority, with potential for conflict with the Skrælings (Inuits). On the other hand, CKII as it is now isn't really complex enough on the microlevel to simulate that scenario in a fun way. So ignoring the polar waters in the picture, probably a generic pagan expansion (to go with the new facepack) or something else entirely.

Something wading ashore, most obviously. Could be Vikings, could also be Cthulhu.
Think: How many overseas expansions were there between 800 and 1400?

Vikings just seem a bit out of the games time span - by 1066, the "Viking" raids had mostly stopped, though there were still plenty of Norsemen. I was really hoping for a pagan DLC dealing with eastern paganism - Zoroastrionism, or Romuva or something along those lines.

One doesn't exclude the other - people keep saying Viking, even though Pagan is much more likely.

It could also be Vinlander Vikings landing to Paganize Europe. Aztec invasions, anyone...?

Zoroastrianism isn't actually even pagan by the most common definitions, since it's monotheistic. /ot

At least it is by medieval definitions, where pretty much everyone who isn't baptised was considered pagan. Even unbaptised people who, in all other regards, lived christians were called pagans in several occasions.

On topic: It looks like it's a picture of a viking ship but I hope the DLC is not just about norse pagans but pagans in general.

Something wading ashore, most obviously. Could be Vikings, could also be Cthulhu.
Think: How many overseas expansions were there between 800 and 1400?

Considering it's Crusader Kings, the most likely candidate seems to be the Northern or Baltic Crusades, which were between the 12th and 13th century - exactly in the time period of the game.
The only other water/ice thing I can think of is Greenland, which, according to wikipedia, was colonized by Icelanders and Norwegians in the CK2 era.

Considering it's Crusader Kings, the most likely candidate seems to be the Northern or Baltic Crusades, which were between the 12th and 13th century - exactly in the time period of the game.
The only other water/ice thing I can think of is Greenland, which, according to wikipedia, was colonized by Icelanders and Norwegians in the CK2 era.

Actually, this brings up a good point. This could be any number of baltic cultures/northern pagan religions. Suomunesuko or Romuva for example - many cultures had dragon-headed ships. and while the icy shores makes me think Sweden or Norway, it's equally plausible this could be Finland or Lithuania.