• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mico94: Thank you for your kind words! I've been playing a lot of HoI2 myself, lately, so this is very heart-warming for me to hear :) Welcome aboard, and glad you like it!

comagoosie: Remember, this is still 1.3. Colonisation wasn't as easy. Additionally, I used the "block every colonisable province with a single colonist" strategy that isn't feasible any more with IN. But attacking France early might have helped a lot, too! ;)

Chapter 81: Claiming British Lands from the... Aragonese?

The main fleet is not far away. It's always interesting to see how fast the AI can rebuild their navy! At least for 1.3, with IN this part of the game has turned out immensely for the better!

gb-fleet-1703.png

And the Brits have an extraordinarily good admiral! Alfred Howard's tactical genius is feared among the Papal captains.

battle-dogger-bank-1703.png

Still, in this timeline, admiral Howard cannot stop the mighty Papal Armada. The British fleet is sunk, yet again.

win-dogger-abnk-1703.png

Our armies in Aragon try to annihilate the last remaining enemy formations.

battle-aragon-annihilate.png

This is my aim always: use larger armies (with cavalry) to kill of those enemy armies. Not just kill off their manpower pool, but kill those armies as well. It's very important, because 0-strength armies replenish once the manpower is back up, but killed armies the AI has some difficulties in replacing. Less so in IN, but the same still holds true for the newer expansions.

Aragon is beaten, we now see to it that we reclaim the lands the large army stacks of Aragon had occupied. These are returned to Papal care.

arragon-broken-1703.png

No idea how or when they dowed us, but we take two provinces from them.

peace-hausa-1703.png

Why only two? One is a CoT and worth too much to take all remaining provinces! Papal merchants immediately flood the newly acquired markets.

cot-calabar.png

Meanwhile, Leinster dows us. There is a lesson to be learned with this war, but that's for the next update to show! Again, the lack of transports inconveniences us, but not by a lot.

leinster-dow.png

Then, Burgundy decides this is a good time to attack us, again. Do we seem weak just because we are fighting Portugal and Aragon?

burgundy-dow-1703.png

Well, if that were the case, I bet the Burgundian king didn't see this coming:

portugal-peace-1703.png

And this! Aragon is the alliance leader, so I use them to give my the British French holdings. I can't be bothered to ship half of my European army to the British Isles, I'll need them for Burgundy. So I take what I can. That third province is a Aragonese province in America. I don't want to occupy that one again, so I take provinces that are far away and cost me a lot of attrition to get there.

peace-aragon-take-gb-lands.png

In the next update, read what kind of lesson Leinster had prepared and follow the ump-tenth war with Burgundy!

Enewald: Indeed! Well... technically, we are also heretics... ;)

Dirty Harry: Honestly, I don't know. I don't even know if I'll manage WC! It's the first time I'm trying something like it, so I don't know what to do next. I just play on and capture province by province. Steady, but slowly...

comagoosie: And we will show them. Again, and again, and again, if needed! :D It's 1704, by now.

Chapter 82: Leinster: The Silly Mistakes

After getting rid of all the other nuisances, the war against Burgundy can start in earnest. Using our usual tactics, the first victories quickly follow.

brabant-1704.png

And the spoils of war as well. Oldenburg:

annex-oldenburg.png

and Foix:

annex-foix.png

The war is progressing well. We have Burgundy riddled with troops and laying siege to nearly every province in Europe. The Teutonic Order and Venice even help out a little in the East and hold up Hungary. Only a few Burgundy armies are left.

burg-riddled-TO-helping.png

News reaches us from the Far East: bad news. This will make it more difficult to focus on Ming and Japan in future wars. We first need to subdue the (smaller) Ming to get to Japan's provinces as we can no longer sign a separate peace with Japan.

jap-PU-ming.png

Still, our wars "over there" continue. At leisurely pace, but we have only few armies there. We annex Taungu.

annex-taungu.png

After beating the Burgundians on their own soil, Papal troops walk east and help out their true allies, the Teutonic Order. They seem to have some difficulties fighting the remaining Burgundy armies.

burg-occ-helping-TO.png

Well, we don't.

vorpommern-won.png

Our transports unload an army group onto the Irish islands. It is high time that these secluded islanders saw a Papal breastplate!

arrive-leinster.png

Soon, soon you will be part of the Empire!

leinster-closer.png

Drat! Leinster is the alliance leader! And I forgot to check! Well, then we'll first have to take down Tyrone. Silly mistake I made...

leinster-alliance-leader.png

Next time on What if the Pope had 200,000 men?: the last battles for Ireland and how Burgundy killed an entire army group!