• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What I'd really like to see is a system that allows minorities in provinces, something like Vicky's POPs but on a simpler scale. It would be nice if changes in culture and religion were more dynamic.

1. I think more could be done with the fog of war not being as foggy all of the time. In real life information drifts around by word of mouth. Rumours of large force concentrations would add some spice to wars. Of course some could be false. Same with rumours of declaring war.
2. Same goes for technology information crosses borders. In real life artists, defense experts and explorers were on hire to states and could change them in a much more meaningful way then the game reflects. Explorers maps could be sold to the highest bidder. I would increase the cost of these but make them more meaningful. Individuals that can make serious changes should be rare though. Not everyone is Da Vinci or Christopher Columbus.
3. Ability for history to be altered and for a Asian power to advance to Europe fighting levels. As some noted there were examples like the Tipu Sultan in India who gave Europeans a difficult time and really were only defeated by co-opting rival locals.
4. I don't see why only Christians and Musliums can fight holy wars. Hindus have in the past as well. Other religions maybe not so much but they should have some other cause belli. History shows there is alway a reason to fight foreigners with different beliefs.
5. I think it should be harder to convert religions or it should be broken into % of populations. By that note you could have options to expel or repress minority religions but suffer penalties for this. Jews and Musliums were expelled or converted from Spain. Christians from Turkey and North Africa (about 100 other examples).
6. Standing armies in the middle ages were not large and were VERY seasonal. Keeping an army over the summer meant no food because no one could plant crops. I think the cost of maintaining armies needs to rise and fall seasonally but the numbers of troops available should do the same until around the year 1650.

Last edited:
the pyramids

Which were not built by slaves, though otherwise you're right about Slavery not being an European invention.

-Internal stability, not external wars, was a large part of the era, and without going into Vicky- or MM-like complexity, it should probably be developped more.

-Unlike the OP, I would rather see fewer, but much more impressive revolts. I kind of like Vicky's basic concept where revolter factions organize across the country then rise up in arms country-wise, simultaneously. While not all revolts should be like this, there should definitely be something like that going on - a faction system where several provinces can rise up in revolt at once. But in return for this, revolts would be rarer.

-More personality to the rulers and advisors. While it should never be as in depth as Crusader Kings, enabling ruler_modifiers and advisor_modifiers which can have events that alter those characters (and dictate court interaction a bit more) and make them more central to the game.

-More developped advisors. Perhaps have each advisor have two or three type instead of just the one.

-Agreed on better, more developped colonial game. At present, colonization is utterly mindless and boring compared to warfare. Colonization should require careful interaction with the native, conflicts with them, forming alliances with them (separate of any alliance in America).

-An AI that recognizes theaters of war, eg doesn't count troops in America toward its war capacity in Europe or vice versa, and that can recognize the futility of trying to hold on to an oversea province that is adjacent to nothing they own and occupied by an enemy (see: Calais).

-A colonization system where, once the initial colony is established (ie, 100 men), you immediately switch to building up the province, but have to build basic buildings to enable various basic province functions.

(EG, one building enable the province to grow further, one building enable the province to start producing its resource, one building enable the province to host non-conquistador armies, one building allow you to recruit troops (from other people's cores), one building allow the province to start putting together a limited amount of manpower. Then when you're done building the colonial buildings the new ones open up, one building allow ships to use the province for a harbor, one building enable you to colonize adjacent inland provinces). This would be much more customizable and open up much more options than the present system).

-The return of trading posts.

Last edited:
I'm sorry bro but your talking about Europe is wrong. Europe didn't outscore the rest of the world by humanism or any friendly ideas but with pure greed and all what comes with it, including colonialism, slavery, rasicm. all these beautiful things are originated in Europe.
The pure greed and ruthlessness made Europe defeat all its enemies. Every country European nations ever invaded were horribly exploited and the local people got nothing from that. See all African ex colonies or India, were the local people were considered as 2nd class humans.

So sorry again for turning this into a political debate but your fluffy nice ideology about Europe is not true even if YOUR history books tell you other.

Youre simply an idiot.

Europe didnt invent the bad things you cite that exist in ALL humans and cultures, it just happened to be the best at conquest. And so provided the most famous exmples.

And then it developed enlightenment ideals, freeing first its own subjects, and then the rest of humanity.

Keep kidding yourself that their ever would have been a Bill of Rights or Manga Carta under Genghis Khan.

You lost all credibility when you said that racism was a European idea, i suggest you give up attempting to think as it's obviously proving quite difficult.

People: stick to the forum rules. And make this thread on game mechanics and wishes for EU4, or I will close the thread.

Again thinking more about adding realism to fog of war.
1. Merchants in COT's should assist with some rumours about troop levels and improve your spying chances as they are likely to build networks that would assist such activities. There should also be more random events around spying and a need to maintain a network. Example "drunk local general reveals troops weak to COT merchant" or "heir to the throne reveals desire to overthrow king with foriegn help".

2. Fog of war on statistics screen. I don't like how you can know with certainty how many ships or troops a rival nation has. Even if they are very distant from you its just not realistic. This should be an estimate unless the troops are stationed on a border with you or your ships have passed by their ships on a sea lane or habour. Everything else should just be rough estimates or information you spy network or merchants work on telling you.

These changes may help with the AI vs. Human problem as you can make the AI have better info or higher degrees of accuracy vs. human.

Last edited:
Than I read some ideas, I feel some dizzy. You want game like real life, its imposible (at least in about 100 years). Game idea is to give fun, and what fun is in learning game by month reading instruction to it? Because there is so many ideas what is slighty mix of: tactic game, RTS, cRPG, Sims etc. For example I dont play mods, because they to full of not needed things that only annoying me. And for many random players to. :p

If must be Europa Universalis IV. Id like to see a diffrent gameplay, for example something like Imperialism II, on random maps in random world only in times same to our. And add to it multiplayer where you connect to random players, and you fight for global domination. And this one who win advance to next rank of challenge, and next one etc. And top master of strategy and tactic could be putten to hall of fame of paradoxplaza. :p

What I'd really like to see is a system that allows minorities in provinces, something like Vicky's POPs but on a simpler scale. It would be nice if changes in culture and religion were more dynamic.

+1, Jews, 50/50 French-German Luxembourg not Wallon like now, making the HRE "German", making a Catholic holy land where the POPs follows their new ruler, Boer-ing South Africa, I would love to have a more complex POP and religion system.

And like someone also said: A CK2 EU3/4 converter.

No for EU4 project. I like better addon system, what refresh all time EU3 gameplay with new ideas. Give us only Crusader Kings II to Europa Universalis III save converter please!

Save converters are always a lot more work than people think they are due to the multitude of differences between games. Complex mapping relationships have to be developed to handle those differences, and that's no easy task.

If the community wants a save converter, let them build it. I'd rather see Paradox invest that time improving their core games, as they do today.

You're outdated. It is removed, and filled with "wastelands"
You're right, I'm just used to calling it that. You still can't colonize it though, which was my point.

In North America, maybe, but only if there was something else in place to make colonizing these areas very difficult. But I'd say the colonizable areas in Africa are already too extensive compared to history.
This gave me an idea. Colonization seems too simple for a thousand folks to live up in the Andes for a year. Maybe add different 'difficulty' types for colonies? Easy colonies receive 100 people per colonialist and found in coastal provinces and plains. Harder colonies would only receive, say, 30 people per colonists and cost more but are found deeper in the mainland. It could be related to land tech: higher tech easier inland colonization.

Something like that can simulate the cost and difficulty of settling the deserts, jungles, or mountains of the continents and keep provinces as a colony instead of a state for longer.

It seems that the discussion about EU4 is quite flamable :)

There are so many things that could be enhanced/implemented but what I'd love to see is better AI, especially eco and naval management.. As it is SP just isn't fun at all due to the stupidity of AI (even if it's much better than most other grand strat games)

Would like to see a improvement on the AI not going into sleepmode when you play the game for a longer periode of time without loading again. In my games normally the AI seems to doze away and stop sending merchants to the COT's, no longer reclaiming oversea provinces that rebelled etc. Althou i take advantage of this, it's no fun to get spammed massivly each time i start the game again and the AI suddenly makes decisions in a few months becos it slowed down be4 the reload.

Also would see a improvement on the AI that small sized countries not continuously send spies to me(and fail more then 95% of the time) for no reason at all.

A more detailed breakdown of a province's culture and a more detailed analysis of a province's religion (not unlike that in VicII, if possible).

Reactions:
Youre simply an idiot.

Europe didnt invent the bad things you cite that exist in ALL humans and cultures, it just happened to be the best at conquest. And so provided the most famous exmples.

And then it developed enlightenment ideals, freeing first its own subjects, and then the rest of humanity.

Keep kidding yourself that their ever would have been a Bill of Rights or Manga Carta under Genghis Khan.

You lost all credibility when you said that racism was a European idea, i suggest you give up attempting to think as it's obviously proving quite difficult.

Euro-nationalists are aware that the whole idea of Enlightenment is from India, right? And civil rights are from Greece, not the western, Roman civilisation? And that modern 'scientific' racism (a sophisticated system of discrimination, rather than simple bigotry) is very much a western idea?

As for EU4, a good change might be to remove explorers and conquistadors all together, and replace them with some kind of tech-tree system that reveals areas of the map after a sufficient amount of money is invested in them. The current system means sloppy AI colonisation and is heavily biased towards the player since they already know the world's geography.

All I'm seeing in this thread is people with crappy grammar arguing points that to me, are both illogical and almost indecipherable, people with genuine suggestions having their ideas buried, and people trying to explain their own views of history, distorted or not. Oh, and funfact: Genghis Khan established his own law code, called the Yassa. All his subjects were also given religious freedom to a large extent. Try checking up your facts before immediately claiming Genghis Khan the boogeyman.

To contribute: One of the most lacking things in EU3 is a minority system. I think that importing the population pie chart from Vicky 2, and having the population growth of each section of the pie change due to province modifiers would be the best way to handle the change in population. I would also suggest having a religious pie chat alongside the population pie chart that would function similarly to the population chart. Wouldn't the best way to discuss EU4 be talking about what would be the best way to implement a new engine and what it's capabilities should be, which will most likely be how and when EU4 gets made, if ever?

I'd like to see more detailed demographics, with provinces showing more information than what culture is in majority. Same goes for other traits of the population, such as religious belief. Migration would be cool too, though should be less free and more top-down controlled, with migrations taking place as a result of government decisions rather than an initiative of the people. This would make the administration of an empire more in-depth and satisfying.