• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think that Rome is to be the bastard stepchild of Paradox games.It's a great Idea that they seem to have Half-assed their way thru development.Many people are interested in the Era and it was a logical choice to try.(I think they were trying to cash in on the EU Franchise, since CK1 was also a marketing failure in their eyes.)I consider it a Failure in that it should have shared the engine of EU3 but been more of a standalone game.

My hope is that due to the success of CK2 they give it another try.........but actually I think they will eventually try a Three Kingdoms era game to break into the China market.

I think Rome will get orphaned now, after EU4, you'd expect them to spend two next years making HoI4 for 2015. Then we'll see, maybe either Vicky3 or Rome2?

They had doubts as to whether V2 would be capable of making profit but they made it anyway. Perhaps one day they will make Rome 2. It could easily be the ultimate Paradox game - CK's character focus, V's internal politics, EU's external politics and expansionism, HoI's warfare focus. But it will not be this. I just hope that one day it will at least be.

And I guess that after the disaster of Sengoku they will steer clear of any direct confrontation with the Total War series.

If they made a game with the complexity of CK2 or more in the Roman era it would be a hit. However i think that reviews and player feedback ensured that it wasn't a best seller like EU3. Give Rome a plethora of working features and the people will come.

I think it is way to early to be talking about Vicky III - I suspect there will be another expansion to Vicky II sometime soon, but it is way too soon for a sequel. After the fiasco that was the release of HoI 3 (though I think that now, with all the expansions it has become a pretty damn good game) I can understand them not wanting to go back to that for a while.

In terms of a new game vs. Rome 2 as the next project, I suspect Paradox is more likely to go for a sequel rather than a new franchise, especially until they're sure that EU4 is going to make them lots of money. Games about Ancient Rome are proven to have appeal (unlike games about the Three Kingdoms [don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's a great setting for a game, and it is definitely an interesting period) and I'm sure many in the studio would like a second go at Rome to see if they can get it really right. Also, their experience from CKII would be a positive factor in making Rome II.

Alternatively, I might be completely wrong, talking bollocks and the next game they'll make will be 'Muhammad Ali: Rise of the River Kingdom' or something :D

Last edited:
Maybe not all doom and gloom...

Rome started off as a labeled EU spinoff -- so with the commitment of creating EU4 (and raking in that cash cow I hope keeps Paradoxians in beers and brats for years to come), then they could turn again to Rome as an expansion spinoff from the updated EU4.

That is the best spin I can put on the news - a hope for the future.

I'm sure it was said once that Rome sold pretty well. That may be the problem - too many people out there who bought it, dropped it and wouldn't consider returning. So Paradox may wonder why they should return to a tainted franchise when they have four successful ones with a horde of fans ready to snap up new releases. Paradox could simply develop new editions of their core titles from now until forever and I'm sure they'd do just fine.

I think, that rome has shown many mechanics, that are important for future EU. Internal politics. Factions, etc. It needs a little focus and polishing there and there and I would be fantastics.

Strategy Informer interview said:
Strategy Informer: Do you guys ever feel trapped into making these sequels sometimes? Even the Total War guys have said they'd love to do a game in China or South America... and yet Rome II is their next game. Would you want to try another new project?

Thomas Johansson: Who's to say we cant do both?

Johan Andersson: We got other projects that are not yet announced in the pipeline… and no its not HOI4! (Ed: Well… nuts)

This to me implies that they have some unannounced new projects in mind, more so than Rome 2. It by no means rules Rome 2 out, but I suspect that the next announcement will be a new series. That said, if the next big announcement is part of an existing franchise, it has to be either Rome 2 (or, less likely, a ridiculously awesome expansion to it), a Vicky 2 expansion, or a Sengoku expansion (unfortunately, terribly unlikely).

This to me implies that they have some unannounced new projects in mind, more so than Rome 2. It by no means rules Rome 2 out, but I suspect that the next announcement will be a new series. That said, if the next big announcement is part of an existing franchise, it has to be either Rome 2 (or, less likely, a ridiculously awesome expansion to it), a Vicky 2 expansion, or a Sengoku expansion (unfortunately, terribly unlikely).

Well, they have Napoleon and Cold War projects, neither of those is a sequel to existing game. Personally I'm hoping that they would make games about ancient Greece and dark ages, but I assume there isn't enough fan demand for such games, after all Napoleon and JFK are much more popular among the gamers than Themistocles or Theoderic.

Hey guys !

Let's not forget that Rome was Europa Universalis : Rome, and as such EU 4 may lay the foundations for Rome 2. Also Rome Total War 2 is coming around next year, which is when EU 4 might come out. Of course Creative Assembly is going to get a full marketing Op through Sega like they did with Shogun and Paradox cannot afford to have Paradox's Rome VS Rome Total War 2.

I know they are not the same games at all but people WILL compare, and that would hurt Paradox.

Actually developing EU 4 is the right thing to do, it's their most well-known franchise and after the Crusader Kings 2 success story, they need to take advantage of all these new fans. Also it gets them used to their new engine. Rome 2 will come, I am sure, but it will come after Rome Total War 2 because they cannot afford to confront the two series. And also, if Rome Total War 2 works as well as the first one, it will re-launch the craze for the classical era, movies, games, books, it's going to change the entertainment market, making it realise classical era is cool again. Just like the first one almost single handedly launched HBO's Rome which is one of the most loved modern series.

Then and only then will Paradox get Europa Universalis : Rome 2 out. And they will make a game as easy to learn as CK II with the money they made from EU 4 and it will be great.

That's what I would do.

HBO are also remaking I, Claudius which is going to be just as bad as Rome or Spartacus but I'm sure it will generate much interest as you say. I swore I'd never go back to the Total war series but as Rome was the most enjoyable of their games I might buy it, I'm sure I'll get 20 hours play before it gets repetitive.

HBO are also remaking I, Claudius which is going to be just as bad as Rome or Spartacus but I'm sure it will generate much interest as you say. I swore I'd never go back to the Total war series but as Rome was the most enjoyable of their games I might buy it, I'm sure I'll get 20 hours play before it gets repetitive.
Just as bad? I loved those 2 series!

Rome started off as a labeled EU spinoff -- so with the commitment of creating EU4 (and raking in that cash cow I hope keeps Paradoxians in beers and brats for years to come), then they could turn again to Rome as an expansion spinoff from the updated EU4.

Or Rome 2 could be what Sengoku was for CK2 to EU4.

I'm sure it was said once that Rome sold pretty well. That may be the problem - too many people out there who bought it, dropped it and wouldn't consider returning. So Paradox may wonder why they should return to a tainted franchise when they have four successful ones with a horde of fans ready to snap up new releases. Paradox could simply develop new editions of their core titles from now until forever and I'm sure they'd do just fine.

It did.. about the same as V2 did.

It did.. about the same as V2 did.

I guess that's pretty bad news for V2 fans. Lowers the chances of further expansions.