• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Obituary

lawrence-1.jpg
On the 12th of July of 1426,
explorer, trader and diplomat in the service of H.R.M. late Prince Leif VI and H.R.M. Prince Sigurdsson
Admiral Elias Bolt
died at the age 41 at Vinborg, due to an unknown disease.
Leaving a wife (43) and son (23).​

Oh well. He had served his country for 16 years.
Anyway, this was the world as known and mapped by Vinland in 1426:
Vinland1428-1.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting.

Urcules said:
Since when do horses survive on a diet that solely consists out of grain? How about grass?

oj, foolish me. :p
But still, it is cold there, and the horses can't be bigger than their shetland cousins. :p

Enewald said:
oj, foolish me. :p
But still, it is cold there, and the horses can't be bigger than their shetland cousins. :p

Yes, sturdy hairy horses, lots of drive and stamina. :p
I think I'll assume that the horse farms in the more southern colonies would select the taller horses for breeding :D

But are they strong enough to be used for cavalry?

Chapter Four: Skræling Brækfast

After the death of Bolt the exploration at sea slowed down significantly. Scolars on trading ships collected some information about the Iceland coast, but that’s it.
Prince Sigurdsson announced that he would not run for Prince after the sammenkomst of 1433, he would then retire at the age of 78, en extremely high age at the time, after having being at the helm of the country for 25 years. All political rivals agreed that he was a simple man with one great quality, politics. At the debate there were three rivals that were able to gather 12 heads to back them up, out of the 47. Hákon Amundsen won the support of the head, mainly because of his proposal the explore more of the neighbouring continent.
On the fifth day of the sammenkomst the two rivals stepped down and Hákon Amundsen won the election without a vote.

He appointed general Mats Amundsen, his brother, the head of an exploration army that would add the territory west of Suðerland to the Vinland map.
newleader1439.jpg
conquitador.jpg
In 1435, during the third year of exploration, Amundsen encounter the Skræling nation of Mohawk. They seemed t least more civilised than the tribes that once lived where the Suðerland colonies were founded once. After a few friendly encounters, Amundsen went back home to report. At the Grand Hall of Vinborg the nobles agreed that Mohawk had to be approached kindly, as Vinland was in no position to protect itself from savage skræling-beasts. Þórbrandr Eliasson, experienced diplomat, joined the expedition and prepared gifts for the visit to Mohawk the next spring. Prince Hákon Amundsen decreed that all possessions in the Suðerland area were to be fortified more than just the wooden palisades they had before. A new state colony was created and added west of Suðerland and fortified.
In April 1436, the diplomatic mission had reached Mohawk and talks started with The Mohawk leader. Þórbrandr Eliasson was able to get a great result from the talks, and managed not only the guarantee of peace and trade, but also the right for Amundson to cross through Mohawk for exploration. Mohawk guides would be provided. This success was mainly because the Mohawk chief was very impressed with the horse Amundsen rode on. The Vinlandic horse, that originated from Iceland centuries ago, was a very loyal and trusty horse. It was perfectly adapted for winter conditions, and had lots of stamina. The Vinland and Markland tundra and grassland was ideal for them.
icelandic_horse.jpg

As Amundsen soon discovered, there were a lot more skræling nations than he ever held possible. Both the Huron and the Iroquois bordered the Mohawk and agreed with the same terms as the Mohawks: peace, trade and passage. With the Skræling guides Amundsen could make good progress and by 1441 the whole region was mapped and the nation of Chippewa was also discovered.

At the Sammenkomst of 1441 Hákon Amundsen was re-elected without much resistance worth mentioning.

In the following term lots of investments were made to improve the economy, and slowly but surely bands of troops were raised to increase the size of the standing army.

After another re-election in 1449, both Hákon and Mats died in a tragic accident three years later. They held a party in Leifsborg in honour of Hákon’s sixtieth birthday. Both died in the explosion of the private distillery that blew up part of the house.

An new election would bear new tidings …

1452.jpg

The Vinland Map in 1450

Last edited:
Would you mind if I stole some of the exploration event ideas for a scenario I was writing?

This One

Great update, the Europeans are in for a surprise when they come around... (if you don't get to Europe first)

---

RGB, when are you going to continue your Russian mega-campaign? It's been awhile... :(

:) asd

My first job today or tomorrow will be putting the Vinland add-on for Terra Nova online available for download (there is already a premature one available, without missions). There you can get al the missions you want to use, be my guest :)

I also updated the update :) forgot some bits, was getting late :rofl:

Last edited:
Enewald said:
Hehe, 400 years of peace, and suddenly the nations begins to grow. And why latin knights? :p

Where are the vikings? :confused:

what latin knights? look again.
hehehehe :rofl: thanks, I don't have the courage changing every nifty detail so it's best to just crop the screenie

Any hints on the way to go in religion? Right now in 1452 I have two provinces that are reformed (I'll find a way to write that into the story once that whop Max Foul-Fart dies).

My tactics with those skrælings to send a spy on a conversion mission, mostly that wrks with mohawk, and that creates a war with the other two and Mohawk. Nice excuse for a religious war, whatever type of christianity I choose.

Good Luck.

Very original AAR! I hope you can make the most of these golden years before England, Portugal or Castille come to challenge you.

Urcules said:
Any hints on the way to go in religion? Right now in 1452 I have two provinces that are reformed (I'll find a way to write that into the story once that whop Max Foul-Fart dies).

It seems the game is catching up with Vinland despite sanctioned isolationism. I suspect religion would have been one of the few strong reasons for the Vinlanders to maintain at least sporadic contact with Europe, if only to have their bishop duly recognised.

Mind you, reformation in 1452 :wacko: I would stay Catholic for now to keep the colonist bonus.