• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, played a few short games with several countries and one entire 1836-1936 game with Netherlands on patch 1.3.
Here are my opinions:

1) The liquor thing. Many people mentioned it, I think it may be best just to drop liquor from the unit building needs and instead just make guards and artillery more expensive.
2) Italy and Germany still do not emerge. I think its pretty silly, especially that in my game the Two Sicilies was a major power for a time, kept being in the top 10 industrial players and colonized some 1/3rd of Africa. This I think should be adressed.
3) Not sure why, but Germany keeps annexing northern Jutland.
4) The Congo Free State conference still feels a bit random, especially in concern to countries taht already colonized almost the whole territorry of it before the conference.

2) Italy and Germany still do not emerge. I think its pretty silly, especially that in my game the Two Sicilies was a major power for a time, kept being in the top 10 industrial players and colonized some 1/3rd of Africa. This I think should be adressed.

I think you were just unlucky. In my game, the three central powers (Germany, Italy and Austria-Hungry) formed before 1880. Unfortunatly a crash related to the Old Vic DLC left me in suspense as to whether or not world war 1 was going to happen.

immigrant1.jpg

immigration2.jpg

taken in the same day
why?

taken in the same day
why?
Is the national change log daily and the state changelog monthly?

edit:
Buh...
And as i have hoi2, i have to say:
emu'd

Colonizing first is easy: research all techs needed, remove second powers from africa or block them, gain more start provinces near west, north and east africa and put all your NF to colonization. GB will join later from South Africa.

I think you were just unlucky. In my game, the three central powers (Germany, Italy and Austria-Hungry) formed before 1880. Unfortunatly a crash related to the Old Vic DLC left me in suspense as to whether or not world war 1 was going to happen.

Well, Austro-Hungary formed almost every time. Germany and Italy never. But then again, I will probably play agin a few times and see how it goes. Maybe I really was unlucky.

Still no "Give up Cores" Casus Belli to make France forget about ever recovering Elsass-Lothringien.

I actually disagree. The region was a focal point for both french and german nationalism, which if anything INCREASED after germany took it in 1870. Germany held those for almost 50 years, but France still wanted it back badly.
You can make a goverment hand the provinces over, but you can't really remove them from the french collective psyche. At least not in the short 100 year timeframe of the game.

Last edited:
I've been playing a couple of games as Wallachia and noticed something weird in that the Suez Canal never seems to form anymore; in my games it seems that always as Egypt is under attack by anyone (Turkey, France, Spain) the US (who is neither allied nor influencing them) steps in and stops the conflict (sides with Egypt and wins back war).

I want to share some things I noticed in my first game as Ottoman Empire with 1.3:

The game felt better then any vanilla game I have played with Victoria before. Very good work on the patch!

- both Japan and China civilized in the 1880s (may be just luck for china, as they ended up in the UKs SOI around 1845 and have never been attacked), with China becoming 3 power almost instantly
- USA white peaced out of the civil war, now both the USA and the CSA are great powers and every 5 - 10 years there is a small war between them which ends up with the USA white peacing out despite slowly winning the war
- Austria and Prussia also white peace out on each other so neither one got to form germany
- industrial scores and migration are crazy,
-- Chile has been a GP for quite a while because all its 3 states had more factory workers incoming then thier capitalists could enlarge the factories (their score has dropped by now)
-- I couldn't get my industrial score up until after passing all healthcare, unemployment substitutes and pension reforms to get immigrants too
-- Russia dropped out of GP status because it only has an industrial score of 1500 in 1900 and quite low army and prestige (which might be my fault ;))
-- I can barely hold on to GP status despite being number 6 in prestige and number 4 in military
- liquor (and to a lesser extent luxury clothing) is a problem, I couldn't build any units besides normal infantry from 1870 to 1905 while I was in the french SOI. Now around 1905 the supply finally seems to cover demand
- having so many cultures, none of them accepted and everybody at low literacy makes colonies no fun as you get almost no bureaucrats of your primary culture in those colonies. Having a NF to get bureaucrats only helps if there is a largy primary culture population in the colony and every non primary citizen who migrates there increases the numbers needed to make the colony a state (I have most pops in a former persian state which is growing faster then I can create bureaucrats with NF)
- it was impossible to get my people angry enough to allow polical reforms (possibly because of low tax efficiency)

Attaching some screenshots from 1911. If anyone is interested in the savegames just drop me a message

Regarding the speeding up of colonization with troops, if its been taken out (lame), why does the tooltip still say they help?

I've been playing a couple of games as Wallachia and noticed something weird in that the Suez Canal never seems to form anymore; in my games it seems that always as Egypt is under attack by anyone (Turkey, France, Spain) the US (who is neither allied nor influencing them) steps in and stops the conflict (sides with Egypt and wins back war).

I only bought Vicky 2 a couple of weeks ago and only have a couple of full games under my belt, so I might not be the most definitive expert here, but I will say that I saw this regularly in my first V2 game as the Netherlands, back in 1.2. A particularly strong Mexico was friendly with Egypt. They always intervened when Italy or OE went after them, and as such it ended up a White Peace. The Suez Canal wasn't built until around 1900 when I stepped forward and conquered Dumyat region.

- both Japan and China civilized in the 1880s (may be just luck for china, as they ended up in the UKs SOI around 1845 and have never been attacked), with China becoming 3 power almost instantly
- USA white peaced out of the civil war, now both the USA and the CSA are great powers and every 5 - 10 years there is a small war between them which ends up with the USA white peacing out despite slowly winning the war
- Austria and Prussia also white peace out on each other so neither one got to form germany
- industrial scores and migration are crazy,
-- Chile has been a GP for quite a while because all its 3 states had more factory workers incoming then thier capitalists could enlarge the factories (their score has dropped by now)
-- I couldn't get my industrial score up until after passing all healthcare, unemployment substitutes and pension reforms to get immigrants too
-- Russia dropped out of GP status because it only has an industrial score of 1500 in 1900 and quite low army and prestige (which might be my fault ;))
-- I can barely hold on to GP status despite being number 6 in prestige and number 4 in military
- liquor (and to a lesser extent luxury clothing) is a problem, I couldn't build any units besides normal infantry from 1870 to 1905 while I was in the french SOI. Now around 1905 the supply finally seems to cover demand
- having so many cultures, none of them accepted and everybody at low literacy makes colonies no fun as you get almost no bureaucrats of your primary culture in those colonies. Having a NF to get bureaucrats only helps if there is a largy primary culture population in the colony and every non primary citizen who migrates there increases the numbers needed to make the colony a state (I have most pops in a former persian state which is growing faster then I can create bureaucrats with NF)
- it was impossible to get my people angry enough to allow polical reforms (possibly because of low tax efficiency)

Well, my 1.3 experience shows that Japan usually westernizes n the 1870s-1890s, reacher secondary status but never a GP. China on the other hand never westernized in my games, plus it usually ends up with some 1/4th of its original territorry with Britain, Russia and sometimes also France carving out small empires out of it.
USA vs CSA - I never got the sort of result you mentioned. A few times the CSA lost the civil war outright, in other cases it managed to survive, but was conquered in some subsequent war between 1870-1900.
Chile, Colombia and also Equador feel overpowered in 1.3. In my games each time at least two of those acheived Great power status through industrial score alone. In my opinion, this is happening far too often to be realistic. Especially for a small and rather poor country such as Equador. I'm strongly considering modding them to be presidential dictatorships just to curb down the immigration and subsequent industrialisation of them. Historically Argentina should end up more industrialized and with more immigrants than Equador.

There is a trick to making a colony with a non-accepted culture to be a state. Trust me, I played a game with Netherlands and my primary culture never was more than some 35% of the whole population of the country. In such cases, making a colony a state can take really long. First you need to focus on encouragin immigration - this part can take anything from 5 to 50 years. Only when your accepted culture reaches some 15-20 % of the population should you try changing the focus from immigration to bureaucrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.