• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great AAR. Subscribed! Can I divert you momentarily to briefly re-look at Germany's 1936-1940 years as regards about how many ICs you spent on improving INFRA and how many new factories you built? I'm kind of concerned by what I sense as a rather weak Panzer force and am wondering where the ICs for that got diverted.

Also, have you done everything to maximize your manpower by techs, sliders and ministers? Is that a recent "desperate reaction" or was it a plan initiated early so manpower could build before Barbarossa started?

I got a pretty good overview reading all 7 pages just now - sort of a high speed "paradigm shift" and this is what I see. Your once jubilant Navy is slowly getting sunk. Your once mighty Channel Airforce is wearing down. And, with loss of air superiority in the East, it should follow there will be loss of all other superiority on that front.

Feels very much like Germany felt in mid-1942. I wonder when Berlin will get first bombed in your game, and when the Allies will do Operation Overlord, and you loose the equivalent of any Army Group on the Eastern Front? Sorry, but I taking my Reichsmark to buy Swiss gold now while it's still possible, and making plans...

I wonder if super weapons can still save your Germany... something that doesn't need much manpower (?)

Last edited:
Great AAR. Subscribed! Can I divert you momentarily to briefly re-look at Germany's 1936-1940 years as regards about how many ICs you spent on improving INFRA and how many new factories you built? I'm kind of concerned by what I sense as a rather weak Panzer force and am wondering where the ICs for that got diverted.
Thanks. I spent quite a lot (70-80IC) on infra and factories from 1936-37. I have two serials of factories for already high IC provinces, but for this mod I might suggest just having one as it is quite hard to acquire rare materials. I have a weak panzer force as most of my army is motorised, which I kind of regret now. 'Leg' infantry are probably the best option for Germany, especially in this mod.

Also, have you done everything to maximize your manpower by techs, sliders and ministers? Is that a recent "desperate reaction" or was it a plan initiated early so manpower could build before Barbarossa started?
The only way I could have done more was to avoid large battles in France (and the USSR now!). In 'vanilla' 1.07 you can change national ideas that increase manpower by 20% daily, which are not available in this mod.

I got a pretty good overview reading all 7 pages just now - sort of a high speed "paradigm shift" and this is what I see. Your once jubilant Navy is slowly getting sunk. Your once mighty Channel Airforce is wearing down. And, with loss of air superiority in the East, it should follow there will be loss of all other superiority on that front.
I never had air superiority in the East, I used my Luftwaffe bombers there sparingly, withdrawing them once the Red Air force entered the area. I greatly under-estimated the value of air power and did not send any interceptors to the East from the start. Now I am caught up with the US and UK airforces it is too late.

Feels very much like Germany felt in mid-1942. I wonder when Berlin will get first bombed in your game, and when the Allies will do Operation Overlord, and you loose the equivalent of any Army Group on the Eastern Front? Sorry, but I using my Deutsch Mark to buy Swiss gold now while it's still possible, and making plans...
Berlin has not been bombed yet! Although the US has been pretty close.

Anyway, you succeeded in convincing me to play AoD v1.07 (once I get it installed right so the game saves) and pull off a good Barbarrossa there before adding THIRD REICH. I wonder if super weapons can still save your Germany... something that doesn't need much manpower (?)
That could save Germany, the V1 and V2's don't require much manpower, that is a possibility.

I believe he started in the 42 scenario.
There is no 42 scenario, I started in the 1936 scenario. Maybe you are thinking of DH. :) http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...l-the-bitter-end-A-German-Third-Reich-Mod-AAR

Last edited:
September 1942

Situation in the air war
The Luftwaffe is being increasingly strained in the west, with it losing several battles against US fighter squadrons. Some interceptors units had to be rebased in Germany itself as the US and UK airforces had been particularly focusing on bombing German industry. However the bombing still had little impact, the main problem being the US fighters being able to reach the Ruhr area.

ScreenSave10.jpg

ScreenSave25.jpg

ScreenSave48.jpg

ScreenSave49.jpg

ScreenSave80.jpg

ScreenSave91.jpg

ScreenSave92.jpg

ScreenSave100.jpg

Situation in the naval war

The German navy achieved several successes, including a significant one against the Royal Navy with the sinking of the carrier Ark Royal by the two battleships Bismarck and Tirpitz.

ScreenSave4.jpg

ScreenSave6.jpg

ScreenSave14.jpg

ScreenSave62.jpg

New situation with the UK

The UK landed an invasion force in Murmansk as Finnish units had been focused in the south, the British navy could not supply this force though, with the Germans concluding Churchill must have decided on the invasion for political reasons with it symbolising the UK's commitment to fight the war to appease the Soviets.
The UK surprised the German army as it sent an invasion force on Narvik, with the garrison there fighting being ordered to fight to the last. Reinforcements could not arrive in time and around 3 divisions of the British army managed to take Narvik. However due to the effect the Kriegsmarine already had on the UK's convoys, the British invasion force could not be supplied.

ScreenSave16.jpg

ScreenSave81.jpg

Situation with Army Group Centre

Not much had happened in this region, a German attempt to encircle forwards units by taking Velikiye Luke and Staraya Russia completely failed.

ScreenSave17.jpg

Situation with Army Group North

Leningrad was assaulted due to the fear of Soviet forces being able to capture territory the other side of lake Lagoda and lifting the siege. The fear was unfounded as German reinforcements managed to defend the territory but it still caused unnecessary casualties for the German army.

ScreenSave32.jpg

ScreenSave56.jpg

ScreenSave82.jpg

Situation with Army Group South

The Heer planned to encircle Rostov and capture it, hoping to make use of the land fortifications there for the upcoming winter. During the offensive the opportunity arose for Hungarian and Romanian forces behind the Dnieper to advance into the Crimea. Kharkov was deemed irrelevant as the Soviets had only had 3 garrison divisions and a cavalry unit defending it. An offensive on Stalingrad was deemed impossible without disastrous casualties.

ScreenSave1.jpg

ScreenSave5.jpg

ScreenSave7.jpg

ScreenSave12.jpg

ScreenSave20.jpg

ScreenSave23.jpg

ScreenSave71.jpg

ScreenSave84.jpg

ScreenSave94.jpg

3 light armoured and an armoured division were successfully encircled in Perekop before the month was out.

ScreenSave102.jpg

Last edited:
Making some good progress in the South, at least - but, as you wrote, getting to Stalingrad will be almost impossible this year, given also that bad weather is about to set in.

On an unrelated note: am I wrong or Vichy actively joined the war on your side...?

Making some good progress in the South, at least - but, as you wrote, getting to Stalingrad will be almost impossible this year, given also that bad weather is about to set in.
Indeed, even if I had the available forces my flanks would've extended too far as I haven't been able to push forward with Army Group Centre. This mod really is a challenge.

On an unrelated note: am I wrong or Vichy actively joined the war on your side...?
Yeah the USA declared war on Vichy France in April 1942, I think because of an event Gringo made.

It is really nice to see your gains in the south. We are all routing for you, really. But several things that happened elsewhere reinforces my basic Grand Strategy beliefs.

1) Even if you sunk the whole UK and US navies, it wouldn't help one bit in your fight with the Ruskies. In fact, the more you fight on the ocean, the less MP you have for the Wehrmacht. Losing Narvik (and all of Norway if it comes to that) would be a saving because you don't need to send out supplies in convoys. The only counter I can see to this view is that, "YES, the British landings at Murmansk (and Archangel might be next) does directly hurt your fight on the Eastern Front. And, the fact that the threat is not too great because of supply problems the Brits face now (because of all your previous anti-merchant shipping U-boat activity) is an argument that German naval warfare does matter in the Grand Strategy of things. However, when I do my AAR, I intend to make a strong case that Germany should never waste resources on Atlantic operations until AFTER Russia is “in the bag”, and husband those ICs saved into a stronger Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe.

2) I think we are witnesing the end for the Luftwaffe. Out of 8 screen shots the Germans took the brunt of losses in 5 aerial engagements, came out about even in 2, and only really won 1. It seemst their strength is not being replenished – obviously there is not enough MP to go around. Curious too know what percentage setting your reinforcement slider is set at. Of course, you can priortize that for units you choose. However, new 100% US aircraft are reaching the theatre. Notably, all the past U-boat activity and lack of British convoys does not seem to pose any supply problem for any US aircraft based in England. You may have defeated the other Allied air forces, but the hand writing is literally in the skies above France (and now Germany) regarding the outcome of your air war. And – unfortunately, with no air superiority over the Russian Front, I guess you are taking a lot more MP losses in the Wehrmacht.

QUESTION: Has Berlin been bombed yet?

Last edited:
Making some good progress in the South, at least...

YES he is, but he must eliminate those Red pockets before he gets pocketed. Remember, he was there already before (like last year). I don't see "progress" being a permanent thing unless it includes elimination of the enemy.

My bad i wasnt aware you started from the beginning. I reccomend you prioritise your interceptors for reinforcement, if you havent done so already. Other than that, the Caucasus pocket is looking sweet

1) Even if you sunk the whole UK and US navies, it wouldn't help one bit in your fight with the Ruskies. In fact, the more you fight on the ocean, the less MP you have for the Wehrmacht. Losing Narvik (and all of Norway if it comes to that) would be a saving because you don't need to send out supplies in convoys. The only counter I can see to this view is that, "YES, the British landings at Murmansk (and Archangel might be next) does directly hurt your fight on the Eastern Front. And, the fact that the threat is not too great because of supply problems the Brits face now (because of all your previous anti-merchant shipping U-boat activity) is an argument that German naval warfare does matter in the Grand Strategy of things. However, when I do my AAR, I intend to make a strong case that Germany should never waste resources on Atlantic operations until AFTER Russia is “in the bag”, and husband those ICs saved into a stronger Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe.
] The navy takes up little manpower, 100 submarines cost 50 manpower which does not even equal 4 infantry divisions. My U-boats have crippled Britain; it does not have enough rare materials to sustain its industry, any attacks it performs are pointless as it can't supply them. If I did not have a navy Britain would probably have successfully captured Norway by now, Gibraltar and Suez would be in Allied hands still and Italy might have been invaded. I doubt 4 infantry divisions would've achieved this. :) But IMO the best course of action would've been to have invaded the UK in 1940, unfortunately in this mod that brings the US into the war (which would not have happened IRL, sometimes this mod goes way beyond the realm of plausibility for the sake of being challenging).

2) I think we are witnesing the end for the Luftwaffe. Out of 8 screen shots the Germans took the brunt of losses in 5 aerial engagements, came out about even in 2, and only really won 1. It seemst their strength is not being replenished – obviously there is not enough MP to go around. Curious too know what percentage setting your reinforcement slider is set at. Of course, you can priortize that for units you choose. However, new 100% US aircraft are reaching the theatre. Notably, all the past U-boat activity and lack of British convoys does not seem to pose any supply problem for any US aircraft based in England. You may have defeated the other Allied air forces, but the hand writing is literally in the skies above France (and now Germany) regarding the outcome of your air war. And – unfortunately, with no air superiority over the Russian Front, I guess you are taking a lot more MP losses in the Wehrmacht.
Please note I have to reinforce troops on the Eastern front as well, there has been no serious bombing by the Allied airforces anyway. Yes I am taking more MP losses on the Soviet front, next time I will make an even bigger airforce to then challenge the Red Airforce and the US and UK airforces. I think the UK must be supplying the US air forces in the UK as I have not sunk any US convoys in the region.

QUESTION: Has Berlin been bombed yet?
No it hasn't :D

My bad i wasnt aware you started from the beginning. I reccomend you prioritise your interceptors for reinforcement, if you havent done so already. Other than that, the Caucasus pocket is looking sweet
That's alright, I have them prioritised but also units in the east are prioritised as well. Some of my interceptors have recently been upgraded though and I am doing all I can research-wise to improve them.

Last edited:
If you stay reasonably up to date on your air doctrines, I find an outnumbered yet modern Luftwaffe can easily control the skies.

As far as I can tell from the screens, you're still defending the Reich with rather outdated Bf 109s (tier III Interceptor), aren't you? (SKIF icons aren't too clear in this regard, but still - I know I'm a bit biased :D ).

Give Goering's boys some Fw 190s and see how the air war over Festung Europa will steer in your favour!

If you stay reasonably up to date on your air doctrines, I find an outnumbered yet modern Luftwaffe can easily control the skies.
Hopefully you're right as the air war is starting to worry me now.
As far as I can tell from the screens, you're still defending the Reich with rather outdated Bf 109s (tier III Interceptor), aren't you? (SKIF icons aren't too clear in this regard, but still - I know I'm a bit biased :D ).
Haha, the icons I'm using came with the mod. :)
Give Goering's boys some Fw 190s and see how the air war over Festung Europa will steer in your favour!
Yes they are rather outdated but Germany is certainly putting a lot of effort into upgrading them.

Last edited:
] The navy takes up little manpower, 100 submarines cost 50 manpower which does not even equal 4 infantry divisions. My U-boats have crippled Britain; it does not have enough rare materials to sustain its industry, any attacks it performs are pointless as it can't supply them. If I did not have a navy Britain would probably have successfully captured Norway by now, Gibraltar and Suez would be in Allied hands still and Italy might have been invaded. I doubt 4 infantry divisions would've achieved this. :)

No, four INF would never achieve this. But Grand Strategy questions would ask:

1) If US aircraft based in UK are effectively operating against you, where is the lessened capacity of UK convoys that really matters?. So UK is out of rares... big deal! The USA is not out of aircraft in Britain!

2) Definitely your war on UK convoys has had very negative effects on all British supply depots - Gibraltar, Malta, North Africa, etc. Too bad the British Isles next to you are not are not a supply depot but instead an industrial centre than can still build supplies - at least enough to maintain the USA air force. Those Limeys will all park their cars and all hop on bicycles just so each household can contribute a gallon of gasoline for the Yankee fliers. Times might be tough in Britain, but not for the 8th Air Force.

3) What is better, help the Italians to lose more slowly in Africa at the cost of making Barbarossa less than maximum, or let the Italians lose quicker and maintain focus on Barbarossa (since we know that is the hardest nut to crack in this MOD)?

4) Certainly UK is not invading Norway - or anything - because they can't supply their troops on account of your successful U-boat campaign. Hardly a problem if you had managed to maintain the schedule for Barbarossa and the Wehrmacht was returning home from a Bitter Peace by now.

5) The grandest Grand Strategy question is, “Would 4 extra INF thrown into Barbarossa at the start have been the straw that broke the Russian camel’s back?” I guess it depends how (or where) they would have been used since there are more options than only attacking out of Poland.

I'm glad Berlin not bombed yet. The real Battle of Berlin (Air) started in November 1943. Between November 1943 and March 1944, Bomber Command made 16 massed attacks on Berlin. So you may have somethig to look forward too! But - historically - judged by your Berlin not bombed at all yet, you are doing good since it was first bombed as early as 1940. If you could only just kill those Russians....

Last edited:
No, four INF would never achieve this. But Grand Strategy questions would ask:

1) If US aircraft based in UK are effectively operating against you, where is the lessened capacity of UK convoys that really matters?. So UK is out of rares... big deal! The USA is not out of aircraft in Britain!
The entire Allied war effort consisted of much more then US strategic bombing IRL, however my actions have made sure this is the only serious effect they are having on Germany. The UK being out of rares is quite important considering it cannot make half as many units as it could have done; which means either less strategic bombers or less forces being used against the Axis, or both.
2) Definitely your war on UK convoys has had very negative effects on all British supply depots - Gibraltar, Malta, North Africa, etc. Too bad the British Isles next to you are not are not a supply depot but instead an industrial centre than can still build supplies - at least enough to maintain the USA air force. Those Limeys will all park their cars and all hop on bicycles just so each household can contribute a gallon of gasoline for the Yankee fliers. Times might be tough in Britain, but not for the 8th Air Force.
The US bombing is not having a significant effect. A potential UK trying to land (successfully) in Norway or the Balklans or Italy or whereever would have a serious effect on the German army, which it cannot achieve thanks to my naval actions. If US bombing does seem so important to counter in your opinion, build 40 interceptors by 1941 with continued production or invade the UK in 1940 to stop it ever happening, just expect high casualties doing so.

3) What is better, help the Italians to lose more slowly in Africa at the cost of making Barbarossa less than maximum, or let the Italians lose quicker and maintain focus on Barbarossa (since we know that is the hardest nut to crack in this MOD)?
The war in Africa is generally static now, Suez and Gibraltar are what counts anyway and both are in Axis hands. Gibraltar is well defended and Suez could be too if I MCed Italy.

4) Certainly UK is not invading Norway - or anything - because they can't supply their troops on account of your successful U-boat campaign. Hardly a problem if you had managed to maintain the schedule for Barbarossa and the Wehrmacht was returning home from a Bitter Peace by now.
Barbarossa wasn't delayed by my naval actions and 4 divisons would not have enabled me to get Bitter Peace, other factors such as a larger airforce or a different OOB might have done so.
I'm glad Berlin not bombed yet. The real Battle of Berlin (Air) started in November 1943. Between November 1943 and March 1944, Bomber Command made 16 massed attacks on Berlin. So you may have somethig to look forward too! But - historically - judged by your Berlin not bombed at all yet, you are doing good since it was first bombed as early as 1940. If you could only just kill those Russians....
Thanks, well the Royal Airforce certainly won't be able to amass the bombers it had historically by that time. :)

How can you possibly question the use of his navy when it has destroyed the UK?

Destroyed the UK? Don't follow... the British Isles are still there - and worse, they are still colored pink. Grand Strategy is not afraid to question anything.