• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
WW2 is going to look a lot different now. Become a democracy, wait for Hitler and Stalin to fight, then smash them both!

They are not in your SOI nor allied but that's quite easy with them being friendly and at +200 relation.

I got 20 infamy when I DOW-ed.

Does this infamy decay while the war is still going on? Personally, I think infamy shouldn't decay as long as you're still in that war.

If anything, infamy should grow as the war continues. This could represent the latest news from China: did you hear they slaughtered blah blah blah? Did you hear about the Rape of blah blah blah? Oh they're horrifying!

Maybe it should be tied to warscore in a sense or something. I feel like this game is GREAT as is, but little stuff like this could make a big difference.

2mhu6u9.jpg
Chapter XXIX: The partitioning of China

Realizing the downside of this huge new conquest will take some time to materialize I decide on some quick steps to change China to the prosperous 'province' I want it to be. As with Korea it took the rebels several years to build up for a full-fledged rebellion. Of course, just after the war there is a rebellion going on in southern China. After suppressing it it is quite for some time.

First step I take is reducing the size of my vast army. First I demobilize sending the labourers back to the factories and their fields, next I halve the size of the standing army, from some 130 brigades to 61. Which is still a large army of 185.000 soldiers strong. Over half of these are going to garrison the important cities of China, with central reserves in the form of cavalry in central points, as well as some units in the several provinces with high militancy.

1zwiwwj.jpg

Next I take a look at the possible candidate nations for release. Ideally I release all but the coastal areas and thus retain only the most prosperous and populated regions. Mongolia is the first and obvious choice, even better, some of the most militant regions are in Mongolia and on the western border of my empire.

2nvv1mu.jpg

Other nations released are the Guangxi, Xibei, Xijaing and Yunnan cliques granting them the western and southern part of China. A lone province remains between Mogolia and Russia, either one of them is free to take it when those chaps rebel.

Below: Political, Diplomatic and Militancy-mapmodes:

fkwlu8.jpg

24e7qxg.jpg

2pydxjr.jpg

In the other news: we can see some changes taking place in Europe:

2hpk60k.jpg

hey!! spain didn't invade morocco this time? your game is broken! :p

impressive aar, mate!

Nice.

Shame you can't sell provs to tidy up some of those ugly borders.

You can't sell provinces? That's a strange omission from V1....

I always thought it was a nice work around to some of the clunkier aspects of the war/peace and puppet systems. As long as it was hard to initiate purchases of provinces, I thought it was a great system.

ALSO
Can you only release preset satellites? I don't understand why that would be so. It's not like countries didn't have the power to set the terms for a satellites release...

As a sidenote, what all bonuses do you have over these released states? What are the differences between satellites, dominions, and spheres of influence? I read the whole manual, and I still don't know...

Edit: It seems that Dominions are overseas Satellites. However, why would Korea be a Satellite and the others Dominions? It also says that you maintain direct control over Dominion militaries, which implies that you do not do so with Satellites. Why would that be? Why would overseas Satellites (Dominions) offer bonuses over land-connected Satellites?

You can't sell provinces? That's a strange omission from V1....

I always thought it was a nice work around to some of the clunkier aspects of the war/peace and puppet systems. As long as it was hard to initiate purchases of provinces, I thought it was a great system.

ALSO
Can you only release preset satellites? I don't understand why that would be so. It's not like countries didn't have the power to set the terms for a satellites release...

As a sidenote, what all bonuses do you have over these released states? What are the differences between satellites, dominions, and spheres of influence? I read the whole manual, and I still don't know...

Edit: It seems that Dominions are overseas Satellites. However, why would Korea be a Satellite and the others Dominions? It also says that you maintain direct control over Dominion militaries, which implies that you do not do so with Satellites. Why would that be? Why would overseas Satellites (Dominions) offer bonuses over land-connected Satellites?

I assume it's due to Korea being taken while he was uncivilized, meaning Korea is now a State and not a Colony. China, on the other hand, was taken after passing the Meiji Restoration. Thus, dominions are released overseas colonies. Well, that's what I assume, at least.

If anything, infamy should grow as the war continues. This could represent the latest news from China: did you hear they slaughtered blah blah blah? Did you hear about the Rape of blah blah blah? Oh they're horrifying!

Maybe it should be tied to warscore in a sense or something. I feel like this game is GREAT as is, but little stuff like this could make a big difference.
Yes, little stuff like that would be yet another game mechanic rewarding the player for using a blitzkrieg style of warfare that is utterly inappropriate for the era. There are already enough incentives to play in that way simply due to the nature of strategic movement and the provinces, no reason to reward it even further.

Besides, your argument suffers from the significant problem that it can just as easily be reversed. Latest news from China: "Did you hear they slaughtered blah blah blah last week? Shocking, of course, but it is old hat. That's what they always do. There's a war going on, you know. Terrible, naturally, but let's talk about something important: the races!".

You can see this reaction all the time nowadays with reporting from war zones or catastrophy's where one's own nation is not involved. There are always things to be outraged about but the outrage does not particularly increase because time goes on and the practices continue. Rather, the outrage tends to decline because, hey, we all know that that's what's happening and (most of us) come to accept it as the order of the day. Not a particular nice thought, perhaps, but it is probably a survival trait. Keeping outrage burning generally brings little direct benefit to oneself.

No, for gameplay reasons there really are only two sensible options, when players are not given the option to enact particularly infamous actions during wartime (which would warrant a separate infamy boost): Give infamy when peace is declared based on the results achieved (in a war system without goals or one in which goals are determined at the outset of hostilities) or give it when goals are announced.

Yes, little stuff like that would be yet another game mechanic rewarding the player for using a blitzkrieg style of warfare that is utterly inappropriate for the era. There are already enough incentives to play in that way simply due to the nature of strategic movement and the provinces, no reason to reward it even further.

Besides, your argument suffers from the significant problem that it can just as easily be reversed. Latest news from China: "Did you hear they slaughtered blah blah blah last week? Shocking, of course, but it is old hat. That's what they always do. There's a war going on, you know. Terrible, naturally, but let's talk about something important: the races!".

You can see this reaction all the time nowadays with reporting from war zones or catastrophy's where one's own nation is not involved. There are always things to be outraged about but the outrage does not particularly increase because time goes on and the practices continue. Rather, the outrage tends to decline because, hey, we all know that that's what's happening and (most of us) come to accept it as the order of the day. Not a particular nice thought, perhaps, but it is probably a survival trait. Keeping outrage burning generally brings little direct benefit to oneself.

No, for gameplay reasons there really are only two sensible options, when players are not given the option to enact particularly infamous actions during wartime (which would warrant a separate infamy boost): Give infamy when peace is declared based on the results achieved (in a war system without goals or one in which goals are determined at the outset of hostilities) or give it when goals are announced.

I agree to some extent, but I don't think any of these options really captures what (I think?) infamy is supposed to represent. Infamy is not just that people think you're bad; it's also that people think you are becoming a threat. If Japan declares war on China, there should be some instant infamy in almost any case, however, when its obvious that China is going to lose, that's when states should be realizing "all my God, Japan is a bigger threat than we realized!) and try to get involved.

However, I generally agree that there should be -some- infamy on war conclusion. There isn't any reason at all for infamy to be going DOWN while Japan aggressively conquers one of the most populous and rich countries on the planet...

Infamy should also certainly scale to provinces in some respect. Maybe the wars and declared war goals should have a stable up front infamy, but that successful completion of said war should scale to provinces. I still think there needs to be a greater urge for countries to get involved in wars like this (please see Crimean War), as I think the vanilla game AI does not try hard enough to maintain any sort of balance.

IRL, the GP's would've came down on Japan as soon as it was obvious that China had no chance...

Edit: As a sidenote, I don't understand the blitzkrieg reference. Is this much of a problem in Victoria 2 or 1 even? This war, for instance, took 6 years of hard conquering. Between problems with supply and attrition (although this probably needs buffed up, btw), conquering provinces, fighting rebels, and the stubbornness of the peace negotiation AI, I don't know that I consider blitzkrieg a problem.

However, I can think of a few awfully quick blitzkrieg-y wars in the era. Franco-Prussian War and Austro-Prussian War both come to mind....

Everyone should pile on Japan and destroy them, just like the UK was destroyed for bringing India into their empire!

Yes, because the British fought an all out war against all of India at once and subjugated the subcontinent in 6 years. ;)