• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very nice job also on the UK. And some of u tactics i will use in my future games. I must admit that i always play with Germany army only and not controlling my fellow axis members. So some tactics like giving
transportships to Rumania will never happen in my games.

Overall:

Impressive job to finish both USSR and UK off in 1942 !

I much appreciated your efforts to complete this AAR LimaTango. I will adopt a number of your practices. Annexing South Africa, Persia, Arabian Peninsula, I have been able to achieve. But Belgium & Free France in the Congo has proven too difficult. Lack of supply in the jungle. I havent worked out what type of division should be used for this. Your results seem an incredible achievement with such a limited army size. Perhaps the dive bombers help.

@panzergenerals. Thank you. I had fun with it and hope it was interesting to read.

@MagooNZ. I used Italian infantry and cavalry to take the Belgian Congo, backed by a HQ. I like to do a lot with Italy until Barbarossa then I pretty much set them in place unless they are provoked, so that Germany gets the focus.

@Everybody. I am thinking of starting a Germany '44 AAR using DvD-IT's modifications to the forces. Before I do it would be helpful to hear critique of this AAR's style and content. Is there something that I might or should do differently to be more clear or entertaining?

Before I do it would be helpful to hear critique of this AAR's style and content. Is there something that I might or should do differently to be more clear or entertaining?

I just returned and made time to read your wonderful AAR from the beginning. While my eyes are a bit buggy reading all that in one sitting, I would like to take the time to offer you a comprehensive reply.

Firstly it was dammed thrilling, and only got more so as I realized that you were getting on target for a “textbook blitzkrieg”. In fact the blitzkrieg started going so well that you have made me wonder about my unorthodox favorite approach to defeating the Bear easily by charging cavalry "through the Pripet Marshes" instead of your masterful and more realistic "surrounding the Reds in the marshes" and destroying them there. Of course my crazy and really fast Blitzkrieg wasn't on TRM at all, so no comparison. What I mean to say is that I started looking at blitzkrieg in a new way because of how you methodically pulled off this one - one good bite, then a couple more to each side of the first, and a final good chew on the hinterland to change the flag on a very large piece of SU while knocking down their horrible total unit count. And repeat for next operation,: and repeat until won. Oh, the magic of those red/yellow/violet goal lines! Or just brilliant strategy pulled off with true German precision?

As an extra note to the military successes you showed, I think there is much to study in your ARR – especially the comparatively small number of units you used both on ground and in the air against Russia. But I sure was glad to see it included Fallschirmjäger, and later marines. But generally I found your few MOTs and ARM alarmingly few. As it turned out, the alarm was felt mostly by the Reds. :eek:

Next I would like to comment on your running commentary which is of a great style. Thank goodness you don’t have my style or I probably would have gone blind reading too much writing! Anyway, you have a really active way to describe things with some wonderful and unusual choice phrases that somehow just made it all come more alive for me. There are quite a few good chuckles in what you set into text.

Finally I’d like to comment on your screen shots (OF COURSE! :D) and they are really good. Nice use of showing many elements to make any screenshot show its best while all is arranged best can be and with good tempo of various map modes, different zooms, use of cursor to increase info, nice selection of pop ups and effective arrangement of them to not obstruct view of what matters, plus many more of the finer points regarding superior screens.

Of course, no critique (your request) would be serious if ALL was perfect, right? Hence I did find one fault thru out your AAR that appears randomly, IMO. Sometimes I felt there was serious separation between the text and the following screen shot. For example, you might have written about Barbarossa, followed by next paragraph about the Battle of Atlantic, then India… and then we get to the next screen shot that is showing what you mentioned there about Barbarossa. But by then the Barbarossa text is too far from its relevant screen shot. IMO, the additional you wrote about the Atlantic Battle and India should not have been written between the text and screen that related to Barbarossa. Clearly, it should simply have been moved to after the Barbarossa screenshot, and so later continue the text related to other theatres.

To put a handle on this type of editing error I would call it “text/screen relevancy”. So, if you (for example) mention a province in the text, then the accompanying screen should show that province . This basic rule applies to nearly everything that a screen can show. Mostly you abide by that logic. For example, if you write “The snows in Russia are melting away” you show the next screen with a patch work of frozen terrain (and not a political map mode).

Compared to all else that I think was excellent throughout your really great AAR, this occasional lack of relevancy between what I read and then next viewed screen is pretty minor; and I only mention it as it is the only criticism I could find.

To conclude, you gave us a really wonderful AAR masterfully played - and presented. Thank you immensely!

Oh, re-reading I see you also ask if there is anything you might have done to be more entertaining. Well… let me think… … … try losing (?) … … … or waiting until nukes really do target you? While “Until the Bitter End” continues to enjoy a certain edge in that regard (if I may be so brash to make comparisons) might I suggest that most nearly everybody will probably eventually vote their favorite German AAR being the one where Hitler dies appropriately and Germany gets whooped ONLY BECAUSE we probably are all madmen malingering in methodical mayhem. :rofl:

@commander666. Thank you for reading through the whole thing and for such a detailed and rich commentary. I certainly owe the ability to post all the pictures exclusively to you and I'm glad that they turned out okay and helped the AAR be fun and informative.

I also appreciate you giving the AAR a "shout out" on the main forum as being a good read.

I see in hindsight with your comment the issue with "screenshot relevancy". What I was trying to do was show a lot of different backgrounds and areas while a particular battle raged on and on. In my next AAR I will simply add relevant screenshots of other theaters with appropriate commentary. Lesson learned!

Thanks again to all readers and commenters. Cheers!

Well, actually it was you that created all the screen shots. I only told you of a certain bridge regarding posting the suckers which you quickly learned to cross.

But the issue of screen shot relevancy is a difficult one, and I'm glad you became more aware of it. Generally your relevancy was excellent. But you now see some places where it can be improved. But it is not easy precisely because battles rage on and on - and other things pop up and get in the way just as one was going to do the capture they wanted because they are running the game so what they wish to screen shoot will be at its peak.

I've found 2 tactics to help maintain better control:

1) The first is hiding unwanted pop-ups behind ones you want show - as a way of preserving those "unwanted at that moment pop ups" but maybe wanted for next screen shot of different action.

2) The other one I use a lot is saving every day or couple days. If the screen shot I took is not satisfactory when I write AAR, it lets me go back to that "raging on battle" and now focus on it when I reload game. Need to let the reload run past midnight first so the resource bar totals take on the right colors, but now one can clear the unwanted pop-ups while focusing on the best moment and arrangement for what one is trying to get. While a reload does change the game, its only a temporary reload to redo one shot... and generally the battle will not turn out so different.

Unfortunately, I know of no way of dealing with events when they pop up. The irritation is that they quickly lock the screen from arranging anything. And a reload to reshoot something may cause the event to never occur. If the event is important and wanted for AAR, one needs to shot it then (after trying to hide all the irrelevant behind it). But it can be tough with the game overwhelming the author who is trying for particular "best screen" because the map will lock up.

However, I greatly appreciate the effort and it really does make a difference to the net presentation I think. While we all would agree that a book presents itself very much as to the author's chosen words, and a painting as to an artist's brush strokes - AoD screen shots give the possibly of combining both with "live running action" forced upon the player. That makes them challenging to get them to all they can be given the countless factors one can arrange in any AoD screen shot - and all of it trying to fit a story idea.

Truthfully, sometimes I just change the commentary to fit the screen as an easier solution. :D