• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Grubnessul said:
Well, in the Netherlands Bella is pretty much a cow name... so, nope not sexy at all :p

Strange... I know a girl who is commonly called Bella (likely the real name is indeed isabella) :D

What's QFT?
Go Brood War!
I started playing Vicky myself...

Yet another wonderful interview canonized and I have to say that was a lovely compliment LeonTrotsky paid to me. In fact, I recall clearly when he caught up with Into the West and as it was late in the game, he had my undying appreciation for doing such a thing. I fear I have not repaid him that favor since but I have been meaning to get caught up with his work and this interview reminds me yet again to do so.

Avernite: Haha maybe it's regional dialects in the netherlands ? XD

ColossusCrusher: QFT = Quoted For Truth ; as in a point for point agreement of a previous post ; an acknowledgement of the truth value of a statement etc . Yes , played some Brood War last night after I got about a quarter of the update done . Spent like 4 hours playing it with 2 old friends . record is 2 wins 1 loss and I lost the random race match ahh well . And Vicky you say ? I'm actually looking forward to moving Timelines to Vicky but that's a long ways away XD .

coz1: Thank you , sir ! Yes Leon was a great interviewee , and I'm very glad to showcase his AAR !

Update is coming along ; will be done in about 4 hours

canonized said:
Update is coming along ; will be done in about 4 hours

Four hours!? I'll push my bedtime forward then :D

Of course, I suck.
I kinda used some...free money to get out of some 60K+ debt as Switzerland...
Real men play User Map Settings.

ColossusCrusher said:
Of course, I suck.

Its tough and confusing at the start, but after a while you kinda get used to it, as with all Paradox games, I start a load of new games and play a few years on each before starting a proper one. :)

English Patriot: Sorry for the delay =(

ColossusCrusher: yeah , vicky can be very hard economically . Also , UMS does indeed rule . Our clan used to make the best LotR maps on b.net ! Laurelin , Duath , Neomi , Cocoon etc . All our maps .

English Patriot: I usually like to play megacampaigns so I sort of cheat in that regard-- my country's already a superpower by the time I get to Vicky XD .

UPDATE IS NOW .

chapter65tile.gif

Chapter LXV: Duty​

4 July 1608

Raul’s gloved hands chafed harshly against the rope eliciting a minor grimace from his face. His eyes immediately looked up to a figure similarly wincing above him. The face that looked down at him was somewhat shaded; after all, the sun was somewhere behind that angular head that rested on top of Riku’s body. “Be more careful,” was the curt demand from the dangling Raul.

The old well which Raul now descended had not been used for decades and even the grimy mildew that may have lined the inside of the narrow stone structure had been long eradicated by the temperatures of the area. “Sorry,” was the only response he received from the man above him.

Raul would have told him to get Willem to assist in the descent, but it had already been three days since the soldier had been recalled to Novgorod on urgent business. “I’ll leave Raul in your hands,” Raul remembered Willem saying to Riku as if it was a change of the guard watching over a prisoner.

Nonetheless, thick leather boots provided some stability in the careful trek to the bottom of the well. “How far is that now?” Raul called out into the echoing cylinder.

“Thirty feet,” was the reply although a bit strained; most of Riku’s energies were focused on keeping his companion from falling to his death at the bottom of the abandoned water source. Hearing the marker, Raul spread either boot to opposite sides of the brick enclosure and slid a pick from his sack.

When he landed the first strike against one of the stone slabs, the sound was like a piercing scream—the metal resonated with an almost deafening quality. “Hold it steady!” Raul called out anticipating the discomfort Riku might receive from the noise. Several more strikes and even Raul’s vision blurred at the intense vibrations emanating from the pick and stone—it was like the entire construct had strange acoustic properties. Finally, however, the stone gave way and dropped into the abyss below. The end of the vibrations was inaugurated by the thud of stone hitting half frozen liquid.

Quickly placing the pick back into his sack, Raul eagerly reached his fingers into the gap and felt through the thickness of his gloves the edges of an object. “It’s here,” he called out more to himself than to Riku. Edging the corners with his fingers, he carefully coaxed the hidden box into the bitter air and then, when it was sufficiently exposed, snatched it into his sack with speed. “Pull me up,” he barked.

Riku heaved and slammed his boot against the side of the stone circle dragging the cord upward. His exposed arms seized against the weight and continued to bring Raul up foot by foot. Eventually, fingers crowned the top of the stone and Raul’s brown blonde hair dawned upward. Throwing his sack out first, Raul then brought himself over. “Did you get it?” Riku asked after Raul landed.

“Yes,” Raul said with a hint of solemnity as he picked up his sack and helped Riku with the rest of the rope, “with the one we got from the mountain pass before Willem left, this finally completes it…”

Riku paused for a second as he rounded up the rope but then continued just a moment later. He noticed, too, the short hiccup in Raul’s movements once the statement had been made. During all the work, it had not occurred to them that they had just now achieved collecting all five of the spread about pieces. “I still don’t understand why you’ve called in this favour from the Metropolitan,” Riku asked cautiously as he faced Raul’s back. Raul had not moved from his spot as if similarly in contemplation.

“This is my job,” was Raul’s answer. Riku’s ears could not miss the hint of annoyance, but there was a deeper intonation there than his comrade was intimating.

“Raul,” Riku began, “we all have our duties, but this is not just a mere quest for advancement, is it?” There was a short silence while Raul only stared at the well which he had just escaped from. Riku continued, “I admit I only know you through the stories they tell in the underground but I know you have refused certain advancements so that you can get out here—I know that much.”

“It’s none of your concern, Rikhard,” Raul corrected him with a special emphasis on the man’s unshortened name. “If you question my sense of duty—”

“Not at all,” Riku frankly interrupted, “You have this quality in droves; what I do question is ‘duty to what?’.” Raul immediately turned around with a squinting face.

“Now you’re questioning my loyalty?” was the question Raul posed with a twist that betrayed an almost malicious twirl of his tongue. He received no answer, however. Riku merely looked at him with strangely calming green eyes. Riku’s brows, however, bent inward almost like a wince and half like a stare one would give to an unfortunate soul. It was as if the silence forced Raul to contemplate the quickness of his actions.

“I don’t know how it must be like to have grown up and lived in the cities,” Riku’s response flowed out with surprisingly little sarcasm, “but especially in the wilderness here where there are so few of us, trust is like clean water.”

“Don’t even pretend you know me,” was Raul’s said, but he had not finished, “If you don’t want to continue working for me, then you can leave. I’ve finished collecting what I need—”

“That’s a lie,” Riku’s voice was becoming annoyed, “I know what you’re really after.” The statement caught Raul off guard. For some reason, Raul felt the urge to reach for his inside pockets where his daggers were waiting and the swift movement of Riku’s eyes showed him that both were aware of the sudden tension. “At first I only heard rumors of what we were searching—five pieces of gold like colour. Oh yes, I’ve taken a look at them while you were busy,” Riku seemed to talk faster and interrupting himself to address the look of surprise on Raul’s face, “three rods of the same length and two more rods; one longer and one shorter than the others.”

“Why did you look at them?” Raul asked quickly before anything more could be said.

“The better question is why you’re trying to unearth them… don’t you understand what they can do?” The question was given no time to be answered before Riku added on, “The more we went searching the more I’ve heard in the shadows from the people of what they are and once I found out, I knew that you would not end here. Now that you’ve completed this… you’ll be going after the—”

“Yes,” Raul impatiently concluded, “so then you know that I’m after all three of the Artifacts. But,” he quickly retorted, “the last two were not scattered as this was, they are easier to find.”

“Of course they’re easier to find!” Riku exclaimed with almost a laugh, “because one is in Moscow and the other is in Baghdad. The problem is getting to them.”

“I’ll get through,” Raul said, but he said it with a disdain that challenged the audacity that Riku would waste his time talking about it—it was something that had to be done. “You just don’t understand.” It was a simplistic statement followed by a simple turn of the heel.

“You’re going to need help,” Riku called out to him. It was enough, at least, to stop Raul for a moment. “But you’ll never get it if you keep your partners clueless to your motives. You could even be working outside of the Room’s jurisdiction for all I know!”

Raul held the sack close to him like a mother covering her child from the winter storm but his head was upright and gazing straight ahead of him. Despite the voice at his back, he did not want to respond—he held back his rage at the mention of the Room. What does the Room know; they’re the ones who have forced him to do this, he thought to himself. But Riku was correct; he would never get help if he never trusted those he asked of it for. It took a moment for the young man to think it over in his mind and his steps failed to make any further moves forward.

When Raul turned to face Riku, his face was a picture of strange gloom. His focused eyes were now a strange passive set of glancing spheres. There was a moment when those tired images of the sky on Raul’s face took painful moments to assess the man a few paces from him. Riku’s expression was troubled but resolute. It was as if his arms crossing over his chest told Raul of his determination on principle—yet his willingness to help. Raul, at certain points of that pause, could feel his lips slowly edging towards a confession of his motives. “Help me find her again,” he almost wanted to say. Would Riku understand?

“Thank you, Riku,” Raul finally said with a strained smile. The use of the familiar nickname seemed to loosen Riku’s arms’ grip across his chest as he anticipated some concession, “you’ve been a great help. I’ll make sure to include you in my final reports when I finally get back to Madrid. I hope you have a safe journey, I’ll find my way to Moscow from here.”

Raul turned for the last time and started the journey back to the tavern. Riku couldn’t help but watch the walking man’s back with a marriage of confusion and surprise. At length, he started his walk back following Raul’s trail to the tavern.

As both passed into the misting chill of perpetual coldness in those far northern reaches of the world, the trees surrounding the well swayed gently in the breeze and pairs of eyes bloomed from behind the leaves like dark flowers opening to the summer.

---​

15 July 1608

“Is this truly necessary, Colonel?”

“Willem,” the Colonel responded, “I would have avoided this if I could—it was hard enough just trying to find you.”

“Senor Roxas was taking us almost everywhere—I’m surprised you managed to track us down.” There was a slight hint of worry in the Lieutenant’s tone.

“The Metropolitan was cooperative in giving us some of the information that he gave to Raul; so we managed to head you off,” he explained attempting to second guess Willem’s worries.

Willem van Axel did not respond but merely gave a slow nod to his superior before being ushered into one of the deep recesses of the Novgorod cathedral. As he entered, the ebony dressed Orthodox priest was already waiting for him standing at the other end of a short table. “Thank you for meeting with me, Lieutenant van Axel,” the man said in a heavily accented Spanish.

The Lieutenant was hesitant to respond but gave a short, if not suspicious, nod. Approaching the area lighted by a single orange lamp on the side, the Colonel flanked both of them. “Lieutenant, this is Father Alexei. He works here for the Metropolitan as a liaison to Moscow.”

“Good evening, Father,” Willem said with some resolution. The clergyman motioned him to take the seat across from him, but Willem did not settle himself down until both the priest and the Colonel sat themselves on their respective chairs.

“My patron,” the young priest began, “has asked me to inquire about the progress you and Senor Roxas have made.” The inquiry forced Willem to turn to the Colonel who merely nodded his assent.

“When I left them—”

“Them?” the priest interrupted curiously.

“We were able to meet with one of the local agents…” Willem said cautiously shifting his eyes towards his commanding officer several times. He did not bother to include Riku’s name. However, he did notice that the Colonel and the priest exchanged glances.

“Go ahead, then, and continue, Lieutenant,” the priest entreated him.

“I’m sorry, but I’m not even quite sure what I should be telling you,” Willem frankly said with a kind of defeated expression.

“Tell him how many pieces of the Artifact you have found, Willem,” the Colonel interceded with a bit of a stern voice—it was the familiar stern voice that had led Willem into battle many times before. Courage returned to his features and the surprise of the motives revealed did not deter him.

“Four pieces; and they were already headed for the fifth when I was recalled,” Willem explained. Again, both of the others exchanged glances.

Before Willem could add any more, the Colonel stood up from his chair and so did Father Alexei. “That will be all Willem, thank you,” the Colonel said as Willem scrambled to his feet, “wait for us outside, would you?” Willem acquiesced quickly and was more than happy to exit the strange situation. After fumbling his way through the dark chamber to the door, he let himself exit and closed the door behind him.

The priest was the first to talk, “they will surely have the fifth piece by now. Are you sure you can trust this Roxas, Colonel Santiago?”

Santiago let out a heavy sigh from his nostrils and straightened himself up. He rested a weary hand on his hilt and shifted his weight onto the other foot. “The Room has given me every assurance—”

“But you are skeptical of him?” the question cut him off. Santiago gazed at the clergymen slightly on guard by the question. Alexei seemed almost eager to hear of any distrust.

“I trust the assessment of my superiors,” was the short reply. The priest held back a sigh.

“Very well,” Alexei said, “I shall pull some favours in Moscow… I cannot guarantee it will be easy but the rest will be up to your agent, Colonel.”

“I understand, thank you for your help in this matter.”

“You should be thanking my patron, the Metropolitan,” Alexei corrected, but there was a strain of resentment there.

“Yes…” the Colonel acquiesced.

“But we, naturally, can’t help you once he decides to go to Baghdad.” Santiago looked at the priest sideways—he did not bother to confirm it. “But we understand the importance of his mission,” was the next statement from Alexei, almost mechanically.

“Thank you,” Santiago said dryly, “we appreciate your patron’s help in finding the locations of the five pieces.”

“Just remember the danger of what he’s putting back together,” Alexei warned quietly, “the Χρυσόδάχτυλο is not something that can be handled lightly as well as the other two Artifacts.”

“I’m fully aware of that,” Santiago said turning towards the door, “I have not forgotten what you’ve shown me.”

“No,” Alexei insisted, “even though I’ve shown you destroyed villages and corpses, you have not seen the totality of what it has done. There is a reason it was broken.”

“You sound like you do not share your patron’s wishes on this endeavor to reunite them,” Santiago said formally. Alexei gave no response but the silence confirmed the already obvious tone the priest was taking. “I assure you, Father Alexei, we will treat your ‘Chrysodachtylo’ with care.”

interlude2.gif

Interlude​

“Saint John Chrysostom,” Pablo answered Taguchi’s question. They had been reviewing Early Church history since Pablo picked Taguchi up from class. “He was called Chrysostom from the Greek Chrysos and Tomos meaning Golden Tongued… Hey! Don’t fall asleep on me now!” Pablo chided.

Taguchi couldn’t help it; despite the efforts to keep himself awake through asking questions back and forth, the weight of last night’s ordeal and the entirety of the school day weighed him against the leather seat of Pablo’s car. The only thing that stopped him from falling into the land of dreams was the horrible memory of a young man screaming in the darkness who had stared at him at the top of his stairwell. Would he see that boy again?

“Hey, isn’t that Professor Poltok?” Pablo suddenly asked. It forced Taguchi to sit up in his seat at the mention of his patron’s name. As they approached the corner where the house they lived in rested, he could see Professor Poltok waving at them with an eager hand. The other arm seemed to be holding a thick briefcase. Taguchi was too far to notice the handcuffs that secured the briefcase to the man’s wrist—to him it was only a glimmer of silver.

“Maybe we should go say hi,” Pablo said. Taguchi did not hear him, though, as his eyes widened to the black van that now pulled up to the side of the professor. Swiftly, a door swung open and dark hands reached out. “What in the world…” Pablo said noticing the action in front of him. Immediately it became clear as a struggle began. Taguchi, in a tired daze couldn’t believe what was going on—dark masked figures were now wrestling with the Professor for the case he carried. At least, with what sounded like a miniature explosion, the suitcase flew open in a cloud of smoke and into the air two objects glimmered in the afternoon sun—one silver and the other golden.

Chapter LXVI: The Golden (coming soon)

Well well well! Onwards to Baghdad! While it be in the middle of the rebellion? Or will Spain have taken care of it?

And what of Proffessor Poltok? Kidnapped, and will his asaillants grab the contents of the suitcase and leave them for Taguchi to find? A first class update Canonized.

Oh and @Vicky, I usually played Megacampaigns too, hehe, it was less confusing as well, being used to the country.

The Golden piece is, obviously, the one Raul has just found.

And Riku is clearly the smarter of the two, seeing how he caught Raul off guard. But the military is definately not stupid either, distrusting Raul.

Intriguing :D

So...what are these Golden Fingers?
Until recently the only odd artifacts we were aware of were the Timepiece and the Keys.
So are these Artifacts a part of the whole Timepiece? Or are they separate but associated with it in origin?
Hmm. This update has set me upon many wonderings, which is of course a good thing.

I'd guess part of the problem is someone who is not keyed in tries to use the Key and it reacts against the users. I am alos supposing that in the hands of someone like Magnus, it could be used to destroy existence. As for Raul, the Room will not be gentle.

I wonder if the colours are a clue to the artefacts - Gold, Silver, Bronse, Copper, Iron - making the great key. Taguchi's lethargy could be caused by the proximity of the golden and silver elements of the Key. He does seem to be losing touch with reality.

If I read that read, it sounds like Raul might be trying to use the artifacts to somehow find...Isabella perhaps? I suppose there are other "her"s, but that's the one that immediately sprung to mind. If so, a lovely call back in a very sly way. If not, then I am even more curious to find which "her" he refers to. Well done.

English Patriot: Yes , indeed lots of things going on ; I'm afraid the rebellion has not begun in earnest quite yet !

Avernite: Haha , well perhaps . As you recall , Professor Poltok was carrying something special ; One , we know is the Key , the other is a Golden object .

Incognitia: Yes ! You're correct about the translation and great to hear from you again ^^ All I can say is that they are related to the Keys and the Timepiece in some way . In what way you'll have to see !

Chief Ragusa: This is an interesting idea , and certainly would go in line with the philosophical concept of choice with consequences that permeates the mystery of these items .

coz1: Aha another Isabella fan ; but I'm not going to say if it is or isn't -- certainly there is something to be said about the treacherous nature of the Obidos' so far , but that's the only hint I'll give .

ColossusCrusher said:
Of course, I suck.

I sympathize completely with your Vicky skills...I lost to Mexico as the US...ran Prussia into debt and then lost to Austria....bankrupted Belgium in less than one month....that game is tough!

Also:
Yes! I am a real man! "Use map settings" all the way!
Using the greek alphabet got me all excited! I had to learn that alphabet for a trip to Russia six months ago (has it been that long already?) and I was excited to try my hand at pronunciation again. Thanks!

TheExecuter

Last edited:
The Starcraft crowd made a new map: Heaven's Last Stand/Defense.
They're pretty good.

But yes, Vicky is insanely hard, especially since I don't have a manual...and online can only do so much.

ColossusCrusher said:
The Starcraft crowd made a new map: Heaven's Last Stand/Defense.
They're pretty good.

But yes, Vicky is insanely hard, especially since I don't have a manual...and online can only do so much.

Reading Rennss AAR gave me some good ideas on handling the military aspects, while OHGamers economic AAR for Prussia helped me out with some of the economic and political things I needed to know. Highly recommended reading:

For Military Help -- and a GREAT story

THE guide for the Vicky economy...and helpful tips to keep the population in line!

Thanks for the recommendations for the sc map...I'll have to check it out.

canonized or someone else whos keeping track: Can you give us a rundown on the items? We have a timepiece (or multiples?) several keys (anyone remember how many?) and artifacts (as yet to be described, right?). I'm trying to figure out if Raul has more to gather or whether I should expect crazy things to happen again. <Drops to knees and prays for the safe return of Isabella from the 'disappearance'>

TheExecuter

TheExecuter: Haha , it's fun adding some greek in there ! I was just watching a Byzantine Rite Catholic Mass on EWTN the other day ; BEAUTIFUL beyond belief .

ColossusCrusher: ahh don't think I've tried that map yet . Defense maps are always fun , but I'm more of a Diplomacy/LotR/Melee kind of guy

TheExecuter: Ahh a catalogue seems like a great idea for a bonus ! I wonder if anyone out there would like to take a stab at it XD If not I'll do one myself no problem .

Now that's interesting, just some fun in Baghdad or a full scall campaign? I still think that it could be Isabella who Raul wants back, I mean, it has to be her! :p