There needs to be a rework on capitulations while still at war

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

locutus15229

Private
6 Badges
Dec 18, 2023
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
Just had a game completely ruined as india by having the Soviets capitulate while I was in their territory to the Germans. I was in the Comintern and had an entire army group encircled and trapped. The soviets weren't all that close either so I have to assume Germany ran a collab and ended them.

Maybe if there are troops in connecting territories to ones you own with no enemies in between they should flip to you so you can at least retreat? Just automatically encircling me and kill off half my army is ridiculous.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I sympathise, this is significantly annoying but I suspect it would be very difficult to come up with something sensible for how it should work. Realistically the surrendered territory should temporarily act like the territory of a neutral nation as happens just after a peace treaty. You should have supply difficulty but if you move away fast enough you should be able to use strategic redeployment for a period of time before occupation forces arrive. However, this does sound like it might be quite complex to introduce and this is a comparatively rare situation to occur. The sensible approach would be to have occupation move progressively across territory once surrender has occurred rather than being instantly applied across all territory. This would be difficult to make realistic and I suspect is simply not considered to worth the effort.

However, in your example, it is difficult to see how a Soviet surrender would have any other result as you troops are far from any potential escape and the real world effect would be much like what happened. I think the appropriate action in this case is to remember in future to monitor your ally's surrender progress.

Reactions:
I sympathise, this is significantly annoying but I suspect it would be very difficult to come up with something sensible for how it should work. Realistically the surrendered territory should temporarily act like the territory of a neutral nation as happens just after a peace treaty. You should have supply difficulty but if you move away fast enough you should be able to use strategic redeployment for a period of time before occupation forces arrive. However, this does sound like it might be quite complex to introduce and this is a comparatively rare situation to occur. The sensible approach would be to have occupation move progressively across territory once surrender has occurred rather than being instantly applied across all territory. This would be difficult to make realistic and I suspect is simply not considered to worth the effort.

However, in your example, it is difficult to see how a Soviet surrender would have any other result as you troops are far from any potential escape and the real world effect would be much like what happened. I think the appropriate action in this case is to remember in future to monitor your ally's surrender progress.
I mean, for one I highly doubt that in this scenario, if the soviets surrendered, they would have let their allies know first and they wouldn't have just said "oh yeah! we will all surrender too!" They would have time to retreat, or reinforce. Also, In this case I had all of China under my control either directly or as a puppet. In no scenario would the entire soviet army just give up.

I understand though it would be hard, but it is ridiculous. What absolutely wouldn't happen is that whole armies would be encircled and killed. The french army that wasn't trapped at Dunkirk in 1939 didn't just die.

I understand though it would be hard, but it is ridiculous. What absolutely wouldn't happen is that whole armies would be encircled and killed. The french army that wasn't trapped at Dunkirk in 1939 didn't just die.
No, but later on when the French did surrender there were British units still in France that had "issues" escaping. In that case the issues weren't that serious but their supply lines were initially severely disrupted and whilst nobody stopped them leaving they did have challenges. An army deep inside the Soviet Union is going to have much worse issues because the supply infrastructure will rapidly dry up. As it is they can freely retreat but have a speed disadvantage that they are out of supply and can't use strategic movement. If that sort of situation really happened it would be difficult to successfully make a really long retreat if the enemy forces made a concerted effort to stop you.