• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Osweald looking soft. But... and I stress but... if he comes through this things could look up. I know in the past, if you beat claimants, you only got their gold if they were your kinsmen, but that's changed in recent patches/updates, right? Could be a nice way to rebuild the treasury if so. And if you beat these rebels, the Iceling family might be severely crippled (and Osweald can find another way to give his sons land beyond Gavelkind)

He does feel a bit... King John-like at the moment, what with the early rebellion against his reign, issues on the Isles and the continent. The only reason I think he'll avoid a similar fate is because you're at the controls - if not for that, I feel Osweald would be headed for an unmitigated disaster.

“Fat, drunk and broke - that’s no way to go through life!” Oh, Osweald, you will really need to prove yourself in the field now, or the legacy of your mother and forebears will disappear in the wink of an eye.

These vassals and adventurers are like hounds - they can scent weakness very easily. And with Osweald, it was clearly discernible all the way over in Poland! :eek:

This is a grim scenario but will make for interesting reading.

This young Countess seems to have the measure of the King and makes a bold play at what seems just the right time. Were this any other dynasty, I might say it is soon to fall. And yet, your clan have done wonders with rotten cucumbers many times over now. It may be a close run thing, but I see a victory in the future. No doubt, however, Osweald is looking mighty weak right about now.

I wonder if Beorhtflæd has properly thought this through. All those foreign allies out in Saxony are nice, but they aren't much use in the important battle against the King, not till they arrive anyway (if they arrive). If the King strikes quickly the odds are a lot closer to even, if one believes the Chronicle anyway.

I am assuming Osweald focuses on Britain and just abandons Saxony until the Civil War is won, which you would hope he does.

My matters do not look entirely positive for Osweald. Not positive at all - and in Beorhtflæd he has a most incisive foe.

Well, that was quite the long read over a period of 2 days from chapter 1 to 37, but it was well worth it. It's quite an epic tale, but things look a bit grim for the Godhelmings at the moment. A new ruler that has lost one war already, a Gavelkind rebellion (the worst kind of rebellion), and an adventurer threat, with no treasury to draw upon for mercenaries.

Such are the things that can make or break a true King. Good luck beating them all down, the first couple of years are after succession are far and away the single worst part of ruling a larger Kingdom or Empire.

I have this feeling that Chief Prendota might object to being lumped in with the "filthy German ceorls," seeing how he's a Wend and all ;)

Things seem to be getting worse and worse for Osweald. On the one hand, it's probably not all his fault, as I imagine that much of this rebellious spirit comes from a noble class long accustomed to an iron grip seeing a chance to slip the leash -- but, of course, the King does himself no favors by carrying on like a sot. (Admittedly, in his shoes, few indeed could resist the temptations of a strong drink or two...)
Haha good point re Chief Prendota. I am imagining the Anglo-Saxons would have seen them all as much of a muchness though. And yes the lords are bound to be fractious after being kept firmly (for the most part) in line by his esteemed mother. The thing that has spurred them on is the early reverse in Saxony methinks and for that thank the ridiculous game mechanics that allowed my surrender (at -100 wars core even though I was just about to disembark an army of 3500 and crush those troublesome Poles).

Osweald looking soft. But... and I stress but... if he comes through this things could look up. I know in the past, if you beat claimants, you only got their gold if they were your kinsmen, but that's changed in recent patches/updates, right? Could be a nice way to rebuild the treasury if so. And if you beat these rebels, the Iceling family might be severely crippled (and Osweald can find another way to give his sons land beyond Gavelkind)

He does feel a bit... King John-like at the moment, what with the early rebellion against his reign, issues on the Isles and the continent. The only reason I think he'll avoid a similar fate is because you're at the controls - if not for that, I feel Osweald would be headed for an unmitigated disaster.
Thanks very much my friend-I am glad you have faith. Believe you me that when I was playing I seriously feared the worst but you have the right of it: if (and it is a big if) he can get through it he may be seriously strengthened. If not.... It all gets very hairy let me tell you but for that read on.

“Fat, drunk and broke - that’s no way to go through life!” Oh, Osweald, you will really need to prove yourself in the field now, or the legacy of your mother and forebears will disappear in the wink of an eye.

These vassals and adventurers are like hounds - they can scent weakness very easily. And with Osweald, it was clearly discernible all the way over in Poland! :eek:

This is a grim scenario but will make for interesting reading.
It really does get very exciting from here let me tell you-loads going on. I am really looking forward to presenting it all to you. I agree though, as things stand at the moment things dont look good for Os do they?

Icelings indeed! The King's future looks very slippery.:)
What a nefarious bunch they are-I mean they even marry a madwoman into the royal family. Is there no limit to their dastardly ways?

This young Countess seems to have the measure of the King and makes a bold play at what seems just the right time. Were this any other dynasty, I might say it is soon to fall. And yet, your clan have done wonders with rotten cucumbers many times over now. It may be a close run thing, but I see a victory in the future. No doubt, however, Osweald is looking mighty weak right about now.
Your powers remain strong my friend but there are many twists and turns yet let me tell you. And what about the Countess's stats? Wow-not one to be trifled with (hence her, at times, impatience with her father)

Dark times and tidings. Just when you think it could not get worse for Osweald it does and even more. Whether he wins or loses the rebellion he will be greatly weakened and the adventurer may find easy pickings.
We shall see what the Adventurer has to offer this unholy mix... ;-)

I wonder if Beorhtflæd has properly thought this through. All those foreign allies out in Saxony are nice, but they aren't much use in the important battle against the King, not till they arrive anyway (if they arrive). If the King strikes quickly the odds are a lot closer to even, if one believes the Chronicle anyway.

I am assuming Osweald focuses on Britain and just abandons Saxony until the Civil War is won, which you would hope he does.
Hehehehe it's almost as if you were playing as....me ;-) You make some strategically very astute points @El Pip so let's see how accurate they are eh?

My matters do not look entirely positive for Osweald. Not positive at all - and in Beorhtflæd he has a most incisive foe.
He does indeed-she is carrying some serious stats and traits-don't mess with the Icelings!

Well, that was quite the long read over a period of 2 days from chapter 1 to 37, but it was well worth it. It's quite an epic tale, but things look a bit grim for the Godhelmings at the moment. A new ruler that has lost one war already, a Gavelkind rebellion (the worst kind of rebellion), and an adventurer threat, with no treasury to draw upon for mercenaries.

Such are the things that can make or break a true King. Good luck beating them all down, the first couple of years are after succession are far and away the single worst part of ruling a larger Kingdom or Empire.
Welcome aboard @PVT Ascoobis it's really good to have you commenting and reflecting and thanks so much for your dedication to read the whole story in only a couple of days-you see I knew there are some good points to my being such a slow poster haha.

All thanks so much for your excellent and insightful comments-they mean so much and really keep me going-there is much happening in this reign and I will hopefully have a new chapter by the close of the weekend.

In the meantime dont forget to get yourselves over to the Q4 ACAs for 2017 [URL="http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/q4-acas-for-2017.1063162/"]Q4 ACAs for 2017[/URL] and vote as there are only 10 days left I believe. Whoever you vote for it is a shot in the arm for all and any WritAArs out there :)

What a nefarious bunch they are-I mean they even marry a madwoman into the royal family. Is there no limit to their dastardly ways?
I don't think so...we must all keep an..."Eye on the Icelings." <self-imposed groan>:)

Cheers

Chapter 38, the Hamlet of Southwell, north of Leicester, July 956 AD

The civil war had been raging for fifteen months but had, until June of that year, largely spared the towns and villages of the Midlands. All that had changed when the two principle armies had taken their initial respective objectives in the shires of Cheshire and Middlesex – the rebels making their leisurely way south from the Welsh marches and the royal army moving north after capturing London. Winter had then intervened, so both powers bivouacked for those fallow months, abiding by the principle of not warring in that period, but, come the spring, the Shires of Leicestershire and Warwickshire became the new focus of the two advance parties. Spring turned to summer without a decisive engagement but then it was that the king returned, hotfoot, to Lambeth to attend to his dying Confessor, Father Scule. Fatefully, he ordered that his exiled friend, Cenwulf, take command of the rear battle in his stead. Now he rode to assess the import and consequence of that decision…

The heavily armed party thundered through the Hamlet, pennants streaming in the sultry July heat. Banners of lions and wolves that bespoke a royal party, causing startled villagers to leap out of the way and bow low whilst covering mouths to shield them and their issue from the clouds of dust kicked up by hooves on arid dust. This was a group of Huscarls-the Godhelmings personal bodyguard and household soldiery and at their fore rode the king, pilloried in the past for his stoutness and gluttony. No more: here was a warrior Saxon that looked the part: chainmail shimmering on his muscled frame – face of grim mien as he scanned his surroundings with gimlet eyes. The many hours of training and strategizing with the martial men of Saxony had visibly altered him. Whether that would translate to skill on the field of battle only time would tell…

BfCOt3.png
CkUvFc.png

Have at thee!

At last they reached the bounds of the Royal camp and came to a halt before what looked like command pavilions that flew the Standard of the House of Carew, England’s royal standard and that of the Earl of Warwick whose lands were directly affected by these latest ructions. Hurrying out to greet their Lord and master were the aforementioned Earl and the Lord Marshal, Ælfnoth of Warwick and Wulfnoth Carew, old comrades-in-arms and doughty soldiers: both carried worried looks beneath their helms.

‘I would like to say well met my lords,’ the king stated baldly as he nimbly dismounted looking coldly upon the pair, ‘but clearly these are not fortuitous times…’

Ælfnoth, whilst yet the King’s Advisor, had become a bitter rival and tormentor of his liege for reasons as yet opaque and he snorted, eliciting a pointed look from his companion. They were still on their knees as the king, tall and imposing, moved past them into the tent. That was their cue to rise and follow.

A restraining arm was placed forcefully on the Earl’s shoulder by the Marshal: ‘let me do the talking my friend – we must exercise caution in this matter or face destruction…’

‘Destruction? You jest surely sir?’ Was the impassioned rejoinder from Ælfnoth, ‘all do know the real reason for our calamitous showing…’

‘Be silent my lord! Now is not the time for troubled pride and old enmities-we must preserve our standing with the king.’ Grand Mayor Wulfnoth placed himself squarely in front of the Earl: ‘you will let ME do the talking sir, by God!’

For a moment, the younger Earl squared up to the other. Technically Wulfnoth outranked him by dint of being both Grand-Mayor-the same as Duke- and also Lord Marshal, but the fire in the Advisor’s eye hinted at a recklessness that might throw all such caution aside. And then it was gone, the Earl took a deep breath let his shoulders relax. He nodded silently and the two proceeded, with purpose, into the pavilion.

Within the air was even more heavy than without, but there was no move by the king to have this audience anywhere else, so the two commanders shuffled up to the table at which Osweald sat, a goblet of cooling wine already in hand. He had already divested himself of his broadsword and passed his helm to an attendant. Upon his brow sat a plain circlet of shimmering gold-a clear message of his authority to the sullen lords.

‘Well? Which of you two will explain the calamitous reversal at Warwick?’ Here was a spirit and authority that had not, hitherto, been seen in their king. ‘I leave to attend to my dear-departed Confessor’s last hours and hear, whilst in Lambeth, that not only have you engaged the enemy against my express command but also that you have been handily bested!’ This last was emphasised by slamming his goblet upon the table spilling the wine all over it.

CIe9xP.png

Wait! What?

Wulfnoth, a veteran of many battles and who had fearlessly served both this king and his mother, unsteadily cleared his throat, ‘my liege your orders were indeed clear but an opportunity was espied by our scouts-it was one too good to pass up on…’

‘And what opportunity might that have been sir, I pray?’ The king said scorn dripping from his voice, ‘an opportunity to lose one third of your number to the enemy, if reports are to be believed?’

‘No sire, they had come up in ramshackle fashion to invest their lines, we were in battle order. It was a chance to end this affair for once and all…’

Osweald held his cup out again, waited for it to be replenished and then turned a fierce look to the other: ‘you sir! Have you nothing to say?’

fp3M3O.png

You wouldn't like me when I'm angry :mad:

Wulfnoth started to reply but was stilled by the king, ‘I said I would hear from my lord of Warwick.’ Another disdainful look to Ælfnoth ‘speak!’

Wulfnoth could only look away as his companion, voice trembling with righteous anger began: ‘you would belittle your esteemed commanders, we two, steeped in battle and full of experience? Have you no shame lord king?’

The restraining arm was there again, prompting a furious shaking off, ‘no, my friend, our king has asked me to speak and, as is my right as belted Earl and Lord Advisor, I will have my say!’

King Osweald, for his part could only look on, astonished, his mouth agape at such insolence. Then he recovered himself: ‘Ah my Lord Advisor indeed-he who had to be recently warned against factionalism, who plots and schemes against me and mine.’ The word advisor had been said in a voice dripping with sarcasm.

m2w6dI.png

With friends like these...

‘I am no traitor sir!’ The Earl snapped, ‘but mayhap you might ask such of your beloved friend since the fault for our so-called reversal may be laid squarely at his door!’

‘What fault was it of Cenwulf my lord Earl? He is a competent soldier and one of the realm’s appointed battle commanders-do you say that he should not have taken my place?’ Osweald spluttered, of a sudden not on sure ground.

‘I do say so sir-his abject tactics and shoddy authority are the only reason we suffered such a defeat. Our flank that collapsed, his and his alone. You may be thankful that you have two such commanders in myself and Wulfnoth here or you would have lost more than the two thousand who fell…a number, by the way, that equates neatly to those under the command of Cenwulf!’ The last was spat out by Ælfnoth who cared not the insult given.

For an interminable time there was only silence, doom laden and heavy, as the import of both the Earl’s inference as well as his insolence bounced around the tent. It was broken, at last, by the king in croaky voice ordering the Earl to leave. Ælfnoth offered a bow, heavy with irony, before exiting. The Lord Marshal, for his part, stayed exactly where he was, his breathing heavy and laboured, his eyes watching the king’s closely.

At last the younger man signalled for the Grand Mayor to join him at the table and gestured a page forward with drinks. He reached for what was his third cup, drained it in a long pull and shouted for another. Whether it was the Frankish wine or the absence of his tormentor, Osweald at last relaxed uttering some words in a language that Wulfnoth did not recognise-it was not Saxon, their mother-tongue, nor Latin for certes.

‘Sire?’

Osweald looked to his commander with sad eye. ‘I speak in the Frankish tongue my lord. Cenræd has me learning both that and the language of the Pays D’Oc of Aquitaine…says it will improve my standing when we accept foreign signatories…much good will it do me if we lose this war.’

xuxRmW.png

Ahhh merde alors!

Wulfnoth grunted and growled ‘we will not lose my king.’

‘Oh aye? And what makes you so sure sir? My reign has been a disaster thus far: I have lost our treasury in foreign wars, lost the loyalty of the lords of Saxony, lost my friend and the respect of my Council and now we lose the first major engagement…’ He trailed off, gazing deeply into the goblet and absent-mindedly swirling around its contents.

‘You are much too maudlin my liege. We will not lose.’

‘Where has my friend fled to? Cenwulf?’ The king asked, changing the subject entirely and suddenly solicitous of his disgraced boon-companion.

Wulfnoth fixed Osweald with stern gaze, ‘I know not my lord king and I care not! Of that, at least, Ælfnoth was right: Cenwulf did not cover himself with glory.’ The Grand Mayor stood and peered down at his king with intent, ‘the battle was fought more than two weeks ago - do you not wonder why we were not harried and pursued after?’

Bleary-eyed Osweald shook his head. He wished he might be swallowed up in a whole vat of his favourite wine-it would be preferable to the cares of kingship, for certes.

Wulfnoth crossed the room and returned with a battle map that he unfurled. He drew his dagger and thrust it into the part that denoted the nearby town of Tamworth. ‘See sir-that is where the enemy is. Besieging Tamworth in Ælfnoth’s demesne, some twenty leagues to our south…’

‘Yes- and what?’

‘The battle was fought here sire-at Warwick. We retreated north-some twenty leagues here to Southwell. They came north also, but stopped at Tamworth. They only travelled seven or eight leagues in pursuit. Does that not tell you something my king?’

Osweald shook his head again, his fuddled brain not grasping but then slowly, surely, comprehension started to dawn upon the king’s face; ‘they have not the strength? Is that it?’

Wulfnoth was nodding eagerly, ‘I think they still overmatch us sire but if word coming out of Tamworth is correct mayhap by only a thousand or more. We sold ourselves dearly in retreat from Warwick, by the rood, and I hear tell the Earl of Derby commands them-he was ever over-cautious…’ He let the import of this make its own way in the other’s reckonings.

Osweald banged his fist on the table but this time not in frustration. ‘I see it sir., Then mayhap we have a chance if it is we who go on the offense!’

q2CMMf.png

Chaaaaaaaarge!!!

Wulfnoth, forgetting himself entirely, clapped the king on the back: ‘you have it sire! Let it be us who stalk them. It might even have them thinking we have more soldiery than is actually the case.’

Osweald nodded agreement ‘mayhap sir mayhap. It is well thought out.’ He stood and motioned his pages for his sword and helm. ‘I will find my tent my Lord Marshal-I am weary from the ride…’

Before he turned, however, Wulfnoth gave voice to the matter still hanging in the air: ‘what of Earl Ælfnoth, sire? What are your orders for him?’

Osweald paused and looked down, ‘he has insulted me my lord-I am not like to forget that in a hurry.’ A long silence before he added quietly, ‘but he may keep his position for now…’

Wulfnoth exhaled a long breath of relief for, as irascible as he was, Ælfnoth was still, along with Duke Wulfgar of Essex, probably the finest battle commander in the realm.

The king’s words interrupted the Grand Mayor’s thoughts: ‘I will send for my eldest son, however, Grand Mayor- he has come of age and is set to be a fine soldier. What that means for the Lord Advisor only time will tell. I give you good day sir.’

Wulfnoth once more bowed low as his liege lord departed, wondering all the while what these last words might mean for the fiery Earl of Warwick and for the realm…

Last edited:
Sounds like a dressing down of all sides, king and commanders both. I wonder if Osweald will conveniently forget being upbraided later, or if the memory will simmer until he can get his own back.

The king cannot let such aggressive insolence in a vassal and advisor go unchecked, whether he has a point or not. Is the king able to find out, either directly or through investigation, what is causing it?

The problem will be doing something about it while not making such an enemy that he may be persuaded to join actively against him. The perils of being in a weakened position. Osweald needs victory, prestige and gold badly - perhaps his new aggressive command style and a well placed attack can swing things around.

You know, Osweald might not be so fat of he laid off all that wine. ;) That said, it sounds like he needed it between a troublesome Earl and this lost battle. The war looks very near run at this point and a loss like that is not needed at any time. I hope the son has a fine martial head, even if young. I think you know it can prove wonders when you have something like that in your back pocket. :D

A poor showing to start the war, unfortunately. Things look pretty bleak at this point, I can't blame the king for taking it out on his underlings. Hopefully some timely reinforcements show up and turn the tide.

You disobey your king's orders and lose the battle? I don't care if a dragon magically appeared on your left flank, causing it to be vaporized in a cloud of fire and ash - you're going to be in for a severe punishment. Heck a Roman commander was basically court martialed for going to battle when he disregarded the omens about chickens refusing to eat - these vassals got off lightly here with just a dressing down.

It's good that Osweald now looks the part of the martial king, but it may well be on him to prove it on the battlefield. (I had hoped his figurative/literal softness being removed would translate toward actual steel on the battlefield, but alas) I had pegged him as a King John type, but perhaps he is more John's son, Henri III, who will be saved by a talented son. But it does not look as though Osweald has the makings of a great king.

The king seems to be on the border of depression. Not that weird, perhaps, with what is happening.

From one extreme to the other -- our king's newfound martial manner may yet save the realm from rebellion, but let us hope he doesn't let his wrath master him when it comes time for peace.

It does seem as though Cenwulf is starting to channel Hugh Despenser just a bit -- a royal favorite who seems to hold favor solely because of his king's friendship, and who is loathed by all others.