• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part XI (again): Gimme back here, what once was mine. And more.

Well... again, I fought austrian nationalists. And the same enemies, plus Spain. I'm still fighting Spain; I occupy all their territories in Europe. I'll stop only when I have enough warscore to vassalize and take one or two islands from them.

The first war was against France. The warscore was just enough to vassalize, and take Caux, Picardie, Dauphine, Lyonais and (erroneously, I forgot it was Reformed, and Venice has no tolerance to reformed actually!) Mainz. I also annexed Provence, giving then the same effect of land connection. Now only a province from Denmark (By the way, a Nobles ally with foreign power gave me a casus belli against them) to take, and the Huguenots (with their large walls) to vassalize in Galia.

Venice4.jpg

The second was against Portugal. Provinces in Europe were quickly occupied; a good part of Brazil also. I prefered to take only provinces this time. Vassalization, later. So I took two manufactories, a CoT and 5 beautyfull brazilian provinces, plus Algarve.

Brasil.jpg

Also, a new and very rich CoT in Indonesia was founded! :) This is good. The world's greatest chinaware and spices market, obviously in the hands of the world's greatest merchant power.

Marco also celebrated his 200 years in the power by build the world's gretest palace: The Palace of St. Mark. It costed 15 times more than versailles, is bigger, full of gold, silver and a very sophisticated modern architeture. There's a room where the best worldwide wines are stocked; also, a museum, with religious relics, works of art, etc. Venice also founded the turism industry in the world: people from around the world flock to see a work where best actual human minds worked.

GreatPalace.jpg

Now, it's well saved and I hope there will be no more problems saving. I even liked more the actual situation than the previous one.

A second run through is often a blessing in disguise. Looking good.

Oh! Forgot a very important point: I also took Antalya from France!

Part XII: Territorial acessibility

The problems with Spain were solved. Now, all the venetian european territories are land connected; Spain don't need to be direct vassal of Venice, since it is vassal of France, that is vassal of Venice. So, from now on, Venice will let Spain in peace.

Caribean.jpg

Venice had a CB against Denmark in hands. She immediatelly used it. Denmark had interesting allies: Netherlands, England, Navarre and others not usefull ones.

Venice ocuppied Bearn; and proposed peace one, two,... n times demanding Bèarn. Naval battles, frustrated invasion trials of Denmark, the warscore each time greater. But Venice didn't want the work of unloading troops in Copenhagen. So, the focus went to the allies. Navarre; Pamplona was quickly sieged, but there was a problem: the warscore wasn't 100%. Something was wrong; I looked the map, and I haven't found another province of Navarre in known lands. Then I searched my own territory and, then I found: they ocuppied Mainz. But there were already rebels doing the work of the siege for me, then I just waited, and annexed. At this point, the war was only against Denmark, England and Netherlands.

From Netherlands, the war was going well. At some point, they offered Luxembourg plus some TPs in India and Indonesia. Marco found the agreement good and signed the peace with Amsterdan. Luxembourg was released as vassal.

Indonesia.jpg

In England, the political situation was more complicated. Venice had a huge army there, but no allies in the whole island. There was 2 main factions, the London faction, and the Puritans, strugling for the power. The London faction was the main enemy of Venice, that failed to have the Puritans support. However, there was a small suppressed faction, that controled nothing yet in the island, and was fierce enemy of the Puritans: the Royalists. Venice managed to have their support. Venice gave the military power, and they gave several concessions to Venice in case of success. They gained their first province, the stronghold of Lincoln. Venice gained a colony in Groenland and some other TPs, and the royalists became vassals of Venice. London became isolated from the rest of the Island.

When Denmark saw herself out of allies, she finally surrended Bèarn.

Venice5.jpg

New vassals and new territories

Venice also invested hard in Manufactories. All the italian provinces have now a manufactory. Most of the greeks also.

Western Rome looks nearly recreated - save for North Africa.

SunZyl: Italian, Greek and Slavonic.

stnylan:
Yes, I want to let the muslim provinces to the end to face less revolts.

Part XIII: If you are roman, do what the romans did

The initial dream of becoming Rome was now nearly a reality. The shape of the territory was adjusted to fill the roman empire in its maximum point. But what nation, having the power in its hands, would refuse it? Expansion is always necessary. The ancient romans fallen, because they have nowhere else to expand. But this is not the case with the venetians. They have plenty of land in Americas, Oceania and Africa to colonize; Rich and unknown lands in Asia to conquest, beyond the romans hadn't even dream about. These were the thoughts of Marco, that after more than 200 years still had an active brain.

Some new "old" ideas were about to be implemented. The first, as the empire had many latin-based languages, plus the fact that science books and religious activities were all done in latin, the idea was to return the official idiom of the country to Latin. This way, french, spanish, portuguese and italians could understand each other in a close language. Even english and german had a bit of latin influence. Of course, such languages would be respected and not abolished. But speaking latin in the everyday life would be encouraged by church autorities and schools. The administrative system begun the adaptation work to make latin its official comunication language. Books and newspapers begun to be published in latin.

Marco also realized a way to keep the regions in line. First, he divided like the romans. At least one "legion" should always stay in one region only to defend it against rebels and external threats, and to assure the vassals wouldn't turn against Veneto. The regions would be renamed to their original roman names: Britania (England), Galia (from Burgundy to Callais), Narbonensis (from Bearn to Savoie), Germania (germanic provinces), Dalmatia (from Istria to Ragusa), Slavonia (slavonic plus hungarian provinces), Iberia (iberian provinces), Grecia (greek provinces), Italia (italian provinces). They will be called this way from now on. Some lands in these regions would stay administred by locals, only paying their tribute and some political restrictions, but having freedom in all other aspects. This is what the romans did that allowed them to keep that lot of lands. Of course, some land would be directly administred by Venice. Only those that present religious/cultural problems would be vassals.

But there was a problem: a prophecy said that, if the venetians fail to reunite the roman empire until 1800, the world will end. Some believed that this was just another religious mechanism to keep people in the republic unwilling to revolt, believing they were saving the world doing this.

So, Venice turned her efforts to assure the mastership of Galia and Britania. She noted that the Huguenots were quite independent in lands of the venetian "ancestors". So war was declared. The aliance was the same previous that included Denmark, England, Netherlands, etc.

The first "eliminated" was Netherlands. The price: Ovambo (a CoT near south Africa) and Brabant. The "Britannia Leggio" at this point was sieging London with naval support; England was the second eliminated. Lancashire, Northumberland and Yorkshire, and in America Roanoke. All catholics. Venice decided that Denmark wasn't worthy enough to be invaded by the legions, so sent a small tribute of 25 ducats to keep their inutile fleets out of the war. A base in Brittania was finnaly stabilished. Meanwhile, the "Galia Leggio" was fighting the huguenots. The result was a vassalization plus a tribute of 500 ducats to Venice. Now the whole Galia was under control of the roman empire.

Supremacy.jpg

Note that the Britannia Leggio had more work: its activities included the subjugation of the puritan people. They became vassals, and Midlands was transfered to direct administration of Venice.

Here's an ample view of the eastern empire. The governor of Britannia ordered to rebuild the "Adrian Walls", a set of fortresses in the border with Scotland.

AdrianWalls.jpg

Yes, you are beginning to get a little time pressured.

Maybe because he is a bit tired after governing for nearly 300 years...

SunZyl said:
There was a problem with the monarchs?

Yes, this one begun in the end of the XV century and is still there.

Part XIV: Looking to the east

Venice didn't want to stop the expansion, so declared war on Lenape. But what good news, that England and Netherlands were allies! Unfortunately, the goverment in London was overthrown when Venice had only conquered Wales. Eire achieved independence from England. But everything went allright with Netherlands: 2 new vassals (Netherlands and Cologne). By the way, Lenape was annexed.

Now in western Europe only 2 nations remains to be conquered: England and Portugal. Maybe Spain (if the time is enough), but spain is already vassal of France. And Portugal is vassal of England, according to terms the Methuen agreement.

Netherlands.jpg

Keep and if possible expand in the west

But the main point now was to attack Mameluks. They had the giants of Central Asia, Uzbek Khanate in their side. But never mind. Venetian army was well prepared and had a far superior technology. The difference beetween the navy techs were enormous. But Venice didn't want nothing from the uzbeks; She only wanted the Mameluks. Venice granted vassalization to some of the lands conquered; the others were incorporated in the Republic.

Mameluks.jpg

Yellow arrows -> New lands; Brown arrows -> New vassals.

The work isn't still done; Venice declared war against Oman while wait the 5 years to complete. The doge is trying to keep the stability +1 at least. So when the stab reachs 3, another war is declared. Oman owns north Africa, and Venice will try to take it from them.

I believe Helvetia was Roman for most of the Imperial period...