• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This might sound crazy : if assimilation is thisway because of performance that get pretty bad in late game, would it be possible to have an option to switch between the one we have now and a "perfect" assimilation that work great but create performance problem ?

Probably not a switch in game, but there are mods that do just that IIRC - check out the user-made mod forum. Or alternatively you can play around with the values for assimilation yourself by adjusting various levels in the files common/pop_types.txt and the poptypes folder, until you find a balance that works best for both your gamplay preferences AND your own individual computer's performance running the game.

In the end though, given how much a large segment of the player community on here complains that the game already runs too slow (to the point of almost not running) in late game even with the current ahistorically high assimilation rates, it would be very unexpected at this point for Paradox to reduce assimilation rates UNLESS the resulting reduction in assimilation speed is accompanied by other changes to ensure that gamespeed is not further compromised in lategame than what it already happens to be.

Even with reduce assimilation, the whole system is brocken. Without a member of an accepted culture, non-accepted culture won't turn to accepted one.
For instance, you have a province with 100% british and you're France. Without immigration, they will still be british by the end of the game, with and without a mod which does,'t seem right.
Moreover, sometimes, accepted pop turn non accepted by migration. I saw a province where 100+ french ppl arrived (from a 100% french province that I check contain really only french) and there were none at the end in the province.

I'm not looking for a moddification of some few value, I'm looking for a deep down reworked assimilation system.

I've played a little with reducing it by 80% (at least I hope that was the effect of adjusting it from .005 to .001), but this did not impact the speed of the game in any signifigant way.

The pops are probably not as bad a cause of lag as the enormous millitaries and navies...

Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to add several assimilation events in to slow down to process, no?

I'm thinking something realistic, like the fact that SE Asia and NW Europe are hugely separate cultures. If the Dutch are 5-10% of the total population of Java, if that number is 50% in 2-3 decades the natives will react as though genocide is being committed.

Saying that it can't be done just means you haven't found the right approach.

Start by considering that wars of this era were calculated with birth rates as a foremost concern.

And doesnt the UK having 2000+ standing brigades create any preformance problems?

It does, so? Not like the UK has a huge army because of assimilation.

Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to add several assimilation events in to slow down to process, no?

<...>

Saying that it can't be done just means you haven't found the right approach.

You do realise that assimilation currently doesn't actually work by events, right?