• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Excellent! Hopefully you just focus on restoring the Danubian border in the balkans. It annoys me when people as the Byzantines expand further than that. Creating vassals there is a far better idea in my opinion. Then you can focus your energies on restoring the old imperial lands.

Yeah, yeah. I actually delivered on a promise. This is supposed to be the easy one to write, so I made an effort. :)

Excellent updates both! As for Thomas'drunkenness, he's a teenager, of course he's known for his drunkenness! :)

I'm honoured that you've chosen my AAR as the location for your first post, Akbar. Welcome! :)

In other news, has it really been five months since I updated? Good grief. I must start updating again. :(

I'm honoured that you've chosen my AAR as the location for your first post, Akbar. Welcome! :)

In other news, has it really been five months since I updated? Good grief. I must start updating again. :(

Yes you do!!!

It's been such a long time since Thomas took the throne that I think I can arrange something. The last page's pace has been distinctly glacial!

Yeah.... Since I last posted, I've procrastinated, done all sorts of useful (and other) things and suffered two pneumathoraces, including an unplanned holiday with the NHS. :(

I really want to finish continue this, especially as the silliest thing is that I already have the images for Thomas' entire reign uploaded and ready to be commented upon.. (Byzantine science sneers at sentences ending in prepositions!)

There will be an update and it will be faster than Duke Nukem Forever...

It's cool dude! Good luck with the health stuff and keep it up at your own pace

Lets just hope that whatever comes out is /better/ than Duke Nukem Forever!

Well, I think so, but I may be biased. :)

After I changed my computer in August, I don't even have EU III installed, but I do still have images lurking on my hard drive, showing over 200 years of alt-Byzantine history, so I can offer one update for every month I've missed (which is a distressingly large number). There won't be a 'traditional' 1820 conclusion, but that date is as arbitary as any other other, so I'm not too bothered about that issue.

I'm glad to see this back. Not to stress you out or anything, but an update tonight would be nice... :p

Chapter VII - Super Soldier

118LiberumVeto.jpg
In this climate of war, Thomas institutes the Liberum Veto. This won't lead to problems later on, will it?

119PeacewithHedjaz.jpg
Seven weeks later, we accept an expensive peace with Hedjaz. One must know which battles to fight and from which battles to shy away.

120Navalbattles.jpg
The Byzantine navy engages a few Ottoman ships during the summer of 1379. The outcomes are not unexpected.

121PeaceYemenNajd.jpg
The next year's spring brings peace with Yemen and Najd. Byzantium is still in a fragile state and can do with as few enemies as possible!

122Navalloss.jpg
The Byzantine navy were toasting the anniversary of the Ottoman defeats at sea, when they were surprised by a smaller but ultimately superior fleet. All Romans should hang their heads in shame as St. Stephen and St. Mark look down upon them in disapproval.

123DiploBulgaria.jpg
There is a lull in the fighting as relations between Byzantium and Bulgaria take an up-turn. One hopes that this will prove fruitful in due course!

124JaninaMessolonghi.jpg
December 1380 is a bloody month, with 4,000 Romans and 6,000 Moors killed on two Greek battlefields. The Sultan of Morocco is forced to concede defeat in battles, albeit the first time with slightly fewer losses than us.

125Moroccanpeace.jpg
Nearly three years after we bought off Hedjaz in this hectic war, the recent Moroccan losses allow them to retreat honourably with war spoils as well.

126Kozanifight.jpg
Just a week later, strategos Konstantinos Mikrulakes annihilates 3,000 Turks in northern Greece. It seems that the war may finally be turning in our favour.

127GloriousArmies.jpg
The military victories of Phocas and Mikrulakes have encouraged a renaissance in Byzantine military thinking and, come the autumn of 1382, various military reforms are rolled out across Byzantium's remaining armies.

128Tensiondecreases.jpg
Roman diplomats are also hard at work that month, building on the good work on 1380, and the Empire now enjoys greatly enhanced relations with both Christian and Muslim powers nearby.

129EdirnePontusvictories.jpg
That spring, the fortress at Edirne was returned to Roman hands, with the province of Pontus being reclaimed the following January. What a difference a year makes!

130Englandcrumbles.jpg
On the other side of Europe, it seems that the English have been utterly defeated in their latest war with the Scots. Edward I would be turning in his grave!

131Armeniadestroyed.jpg
The Orthodox faith takes another battering as the nearby Muslims once more invade the lands of Christos Pantocrator. The last Armenian province is annexed by the Mamluks in less than six months and the Egyptian superpower is now almost at the gates.

132Temporaryinsanity.jpg
After the birth of his second son, Andronikos, in late 1384, Emperor Thomas falls into a fit of depression and it falls to the great strategoi Phocas and Mikrulakes to hold the realm together in his absence. The Ottomans are seemingly ready to concede defeat, but whilst Pelagios Phocas is willing to accept, Konstantinos Mikrulakes is eager for blood and presses onto into the Turkish heartland.

133KocaeliAnatoliavictories.jpg
Near-on 30,000 Roman soldiers, with the support of the few Trapezuntine forces remaining, have been despoiling the Turkish countryside ever since the previous Christ Mass and it is not too long before key Turkish fortresses begin to fall into our hands.

134Ottomandefeat.jpg
Come September, the victorious Mikrulakes accepts Sultan Ibrahim's surrender and eastern Anatolia falls into Greek hands once more. The Ottomans also pay a nominal sum towards the great expenses occurred during the past decade of fighting.

135Grecianexpansion.jpg
Shortly thereafter, our war spoils are rechristened, if only to underscore our eventual victory over our Ottoman neighbours!

Palaeologus_Dynasty.png

Thomas Porphyrogennētos
Anno Mundus 6893

Θωμάς πορφυρογέννητος

Autocrat and Emperor of the Romans
Strategos-Autokrator of Konstantinoupolis​

Last edited:
Interesting, you took all of the Ottomans eastern provinces, cutting them off from the ability to ever trully expand without developing a real navy. Sneaky and effective, I like it!

Well, I'm trusting that I won't have another health 'excitement' this March, like I have for the last two, but I have started using computer glasses, several years earlier than I would liked.

That said, there is another update coming, but given the almost-insurmountable gulf of time since the update before last, I don't think I'll bother to make a flippant comment about two updates in two days. :)