• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Too easy... ;)

Muse:

Knights Of Cydonia:

Ah ah ah
Ah ah-ah ah
Ah ah ah
Ah ah-ah ah

Ah ah ah
Ah ah-ah ah
Ah ah ah
Ah ah-ah ah

Ah ah ah
Ah ah-ah ah
Ah ah ah
Ah ah-ah ah

Ah ah ah
Ah ah-ah ah
Ah ah ah
Ah ah-ah ah

Come ride with me
Through the veils of history
I'll show you how God
Falls asleep on the job

And how can we win
When fools can be kings?

Don't waste your time
Or time will waste you

Ah ah ah
Ah ah-ah ah
Ah ah ah
Ah ah-ah ah

Ah ah ah
Ah ah-ah ah
Ah ah ah
Ah ah-ah ah

No-one's going to take me alive
The time has come to make things right
You and I must fight for our rights
You and I must fight to survive

No I can't Ragusa. Naval tech is 10 (late medieval) but Abbas is developing plans for a new grand navy amongst other things!

I hope he can be great too Kara.

As for the little song trivia Yoda seems to have won easily!

Maybe more later if I can find a way to slip them in (better look next time Duke and Kara :cool: )

Shah Abbas II – The Council of Siena

safavid1.jpg

Shah Abbas II – The Council of Siena (1648 – 1656)​

---------------------------------------------------------------​

Siena, 11th March 1650 – The Palace of the Republic

Soon after Naples fell to the Safavid Empire Raffello Domincci, the current head of the Republic of Siena with support from Pope Innocentiux X called a council of the Christian states to ‘assess and counter’ the Safavid threat to Europe. The meeting would become known as the Council of Siena. Ferdinado II the Grand Duke of Tuscany and Ranuccio II of Parma both attended personally due to close proximity to Safavid Naples. Delegates were also sent from Genoa, Venice and Savoy – the other Italian realms. Innocentiux X and diplomats from Spain, Portugal and France also arrived at the council keen to protect their colonial interests from Safavid influence. The states of the Holy Roman Empire had little interest in the meeting due to religious differences and the simple fact they were nowhere near the Safavid Empire despite this a lone Bavarian noble turned up – presumably just to soak up the atmosphere.

council.jpg
Raffello receives the French envoy​

For the first day the men did little but bicker with one another. The Spanish and Portuguese, still bitter from the losses of land and humiliation inflicted upon insisted on nothing short of another crusade and full scale invasion of Egypt and the Holy Lands. The smaller Italian states however had no interest in such an undertaking. While the Spanish and their grand navy had little to lose the Italian realms may well be overrun if one of the Safavid armies landed in Italy. The Italians – headed by Ferdinado II of Tuscany and Raffello of Siena tried to encourage a special pact against the Safavids ensuring if any of the members were attacked then all others would come to their aid.

Innocentiux X, a shrewd politician in his own right remained silent throughout the disputes. He knew that a pact without the major powers of France, Spain and Portugal could not stop a Safavid invasion but also that the Spanish alone could not risk another war against the Safavids. After a day of constant arguing the men began to tire and just as the conference was beginning to end the doors to the palace swung open.

A young guard stood sheepishly in the doorway as the many powerful men within eyed him up. Finally after a short delay he muttered

‘My Lords, a man is here. He says he is an emissary from the Safavids. Shall I let him in?’

At this the hall erupted into chaos - the men all shouting various replies ranging from ‘Cut the nasty little Safavid bastard’s head off’ from Raul the Spanish envoy to ‘Where’s my damned wine got to!?’ from Ludvick the Bavarian noble. Finally after 10 minutes of this Pope Innocentiux X spoke firmly through the chaos.

‘Let him in. We shall see what he has to say after all we have little to lose but another hour of squabbling.’

At this the palace fell silent and all were seated again awaiting the entrance of the new visitor. A short time later a tall man, dressed in Safavid style entered and proclaimed

‘I come from Isfahan, the capital of the Safavid Empire as a representative of Shah Abbas II, Emperor of Persia and grandson of Abbas the Great. My master has heard you were holding council and he wishes to have his voice here as well. The Shah would like to reassure the Italian realms that he has no interest in your land. In fact he intends to release the Kingdom of Naples as a Christian vassal shortly. He also vows that while he reigns over the Safavid Empire that we shall start no war with any of the states on the Italian mainland. He requests in return you do not attack Safavid trade or military interests and consider opening your ports to Safavid merchants.’

Without further ado the emissary left to board a ship for Alexandria. The shock and chaos that had emerged on his arrival returned as he left. The Princes of the Mediterranean would continue to speak long into the night but in one move Abbas had driven a firm wedge between the colonial powers and the states of Italy.

Raffello Domincci of Siena smiled discreetly to himself. If the man spoke true his worries over the safety of his republic were over. It was also the Beginning of a beautiful friendship between him and Abbas.

Abbas additionally decided to allow Tripoli limited freedom as vassals. He knew all too well the dangers of greed. He had watched and fought as rebels and clans fought over the length of the Safavid Empire under Safi’s rule and the less firmly controlled western regions had been in danger of collapsing altogether. Brought back from the brink of disintegration Abbas was determined to maintain the Empire.
vassals.jpg
The Safavid Vassals in Tripoli and Naples​

In addition to releasing vassals in the west Abbas also decided something must be done about the clans and tribes who after Safi’s rule had regained much of their power. He wasn’t entirely sure what yet and was for the present happy to let the country recover from the effects of the Persian-Spanish War.

And let the country recover is exactly what he did. He watched and waited as the tribes grew bolder and his economy slowly crept back into life. He did however have a weapons manufactory built in Nuyssabin to ensure the Safavids kept up with Europe in weaponry technology. He also developed trade at the centres within the Empire borders knowing more gold was never a bad thing.

trade.jpg
Safavid Trade​

Now it was just a matter of waiting for the time to strike at the tribes…

Last edited:
Shah Ishmail II is a relative of Abbas II is he or was the envoy seeking to lull the great and the good and be able to deny Shah Ishmail or Ismail or plain old smelly had anythingtop do with Abbas' wars?

I think all of Arabia would look neat under the Safavids, but if it's the western tribes, the tribes have it.

You have a faithful reader in myself since the very beginning, to be honest. Never felt the urge to comment, though, until now :). This AAR is pretty entertaining, and the choice of nation itself is interesting - there hasn't been too many Kara Koyunlu/Safavid AARs, as far as I remember.
I love your style and the implementation of pictures, and the a-little-customized events :).
Is Abbas II a leader normally, or is he one you put into the game yourself?

Ohhh, Europe is so lucky that Abbas didn't pursue a more aggressive course of action. Doubt any of them could do anything with a meeting like that.

Thanks Duke I've decided to try and work in some scenes here and there. Can't beat a bit of variety!

Thanks again Emperor and no Abbas II isn't a leader. I replaced some other general (can't remeber his name) with Abbas and gave him the conquistador rank as it seemed silly not attacking the Uzbeks due to terra incognita. The SSA never exploring a little inland was also getting annoying.

It was tempting to go after Italy Kara but my badboys is fairly high and if I captured a few provinces I'd feel like I had to help the AI a little and unite the Christians! As it happens we've a much more interesting political situation now. :)

Shah Abbas II – Of the Kizilbash

safavid1.jpg

Shah Abbas II – Of the Kizilbash (1651 – 1661)​

It was now almost 200 years since Shah Ali had been lifted to rule the lands of Persia. His rise to power had much to do with the Kizilbash, the Shiite tribesmen who formed the early army of the Safavids and disposed of the Black Sheep Turcoman. Not surprising the tribes had always felt they deserved a certain level of influence over the Shah and had maintained it until Abbas the Great came to power. Abbas kept the Kizilbash under tight control removing many of their powers. After his death the tribes again began to push the boundaries as they yearned to regain their hold over the Shah. Safi of course let them and they gradually regained much of the power they had lost. Abbas II had put up with them during the early years of his reign but now felt in a position to put them in their place once and for all.

It was in the summer of 1652 when they again pushed at the limits of their powers. One of the tribal leaders visited Abbas suggesting an attack on the nearby Sunni state of Sindh. When Abbas rebuffed him the man kicked up an almighty fuss claiming ancient rites not used for over a century. In response Abbas had the Kurdish levy sent into the eastern strongholds of the tribes. The Kurds were tough men from the western region of the empire and were under specific instructions to cause as much trouble as they could among the tribes. Returning the favour almost all the eastern tribes rose up against Abbas.

1-1.jpg
Abbas strikes out against the Kizilbash​

The Kurdish levy marched on as trouble flared up all over the south-eastern reaches of the Empire. Meanwhile further north similar uprisings among the tribes occurred. Almost typically of the Empire these days revolts sprung up all over the far western regions also.

2-1.jpg
Dealing with the tribes​

Despite the huge numbers of rebels the army dealt with them without really breaking a sweat. The Safavid Army was still the greatest in the world and there were few armies who could even pretend to match it. Unfortunately removing the tribes from power caused mayhem across the Empire as petty warlords and corrupt officials attempted to fill the void of power left by the expelling of the tribes. It took Abbas and the army almost 5 years to regain reasonable control of the Empire.

Many of the politicians in court now believed Abbas had underestimated the effect hitting out at the tribes would have. Indeed Abbas didn’t expect such a fierce backlash from all corners of the Empire but it had been worth it. The Kizilbash had taken a heavy beating and Abbas believed they were spent. He also ordered the construction of two new warships at Alexandria to improve the navy and hopefully allow the Safavids to inflict more obvious victories on their European opponents.

For the first time in a long time the Safavids were short on money. The chaos of the last 5 years hadn’t been good for taxes and the continuous train of colonists being sent to the SSA was also putting a strain on the economy. Regardless things appeared to be back on track but then the Kizilbash once again reared their ugly heads. They weren’t bold enough to fight against Abbas but fighting against each other was still no problem for them. Abbas was furious but took out a loan to throw money at them and saw a tribal war. The chaos that would be caused by clan warfare was too much for the again fragile Empire.

3-1.jpg
…and still they fight.​

After much thought Abbas came up with an idea to cripple the tribes further. Inspired by the now common peasant response to the tribesmen of ‘Why don’t you kill yourself you ain’t no use to no-one else’ Abbas decided that the tribes should be outlawed. Of course he knew he couldn’t simply kill all the tribesmen so he elected to give them the region of Afghanistan. Here they could operate under their local laws and must pay tribute to Isfahan but weren’t technically part of the Safavid Empire.

4-1.jpg
A permanent solution?​

All other tribesmen were exiled. This did present a problem though. The Kizilbash were highly religious and many of the tribesmen would not leave Abbas who was in effect their religious leader. To deal with this Abbas founded a new regiment of elite soldiers to protect the Shah and carry out his will. They were to become known as the Kizilbash Guard and were fiercely loyal to the Shah each man willing to give their life for him at his will.

6-1.jpg
A loyal Kizilbash Guardsman​

Finally after many years of anguish the merchant class in Isfahan began to grow in power. In 1661 they requested privileges previously saved for the heads of the tribes and nobles of Empire. Abbas of course granted them without a second thought. The Empire had to be modernised and this was the way to do it!

5-1.jpg
Abbas’ anti-tribal policies show signs of paying off​

Another song lyric in there if you can get it ;) Its simple enough to spot just not sure how well known the band are.

A strange solution with the exile of tribesmen plus elevation to personal bodyguard. Interesting chapter. I've always liked the Kizilbash, its a good name. Admittedly that was all I've ever known about them though.

I do not like the creation of an independent state though, its a sure sign of collapse on the way. I hope I'm wrong.

Can't pretend to know an awful lot about them myself Duke. Finding these things out isn't too easy either. Noone seems to care too much about the Safavids!

Wouldn't worry about the tribal state I don't think it'll last long.

Last edited:
Shah Abbas II – The Kizilbash Council

safavid1.jpg

Shah Abbas II – The Kizilbash Council (1661 – 1666)​

With the Kizilbash rising to position of bodyguard in the capital Abbas began to take a more religious view on state affairs. This led to more missionaries being sent to Kushka although after 200 years of attempts to convert the inhabitants not many believed they would be successful. Another product of Abbas’ new found faith was more serious attempts to increase the holdings in the SSA and convert the natives. The colony in Bushman was completed and city walls as well as an imperial tax collector were erected. Next eyes turned east towards the province of Natal. Natal was at the time populated by a large number, estimated to be around 10,000 natives. While this presented a problem it also had its benefits as there were potentially 10,000 Shiites already in the province. The colonial army was moved into Natal and colonisation attempts began. The army kept the locals in line while the initial buildings were built and soon settlers began to arrive from Isfahan.

1-9.jpg
Map of SSA and surrounding territories​

Further west the Danes were beginning to set up trading posts nearby – something which if it continued would no doubt lead to conflict. The SSA was also starting to encroach on Portuguese holdings to the east. Times were changing in Africa.

Meanwhile back in Isfahan Abbas had fallen ill. After it became clear he could not keep up to all the state affairs he turned to his Kizilbash Guard. Over the years since their formation he had become good friends with the more senior members and valued their opinions highly. So it happened that in 1664 Abbas established a council made up of six of the most highly ranked and wise of the Kizilbash to help in administrative affairs. Slowly as Abbas sunk deeper into his ailment, which no one could identify let alone treat the council became effective regents of the realm, of course only ever acting under Abbas’ instruction but as none but his family, the council and other members of the Harem saw him it was hard to know how much say Abbas had in the decrees which emerged from the palace of the Shah. There was also increasing doubts about the succession as persistent rumours of Hamza, Abbas’ heir practicing heretical beliefs would not go away (this was of course nothing to do with the Kizilbash).

2-11.jpg
The new attempts to convert of the Shah begin to pay off​

The once tolerant policies of Abbas also became harsh especially towards the Christians. This led to increasingly hostile situations developing on the SSA-Portuguese border. War began to look inevitable.

3-8.jpg
Tensions with the Portuguese increase​

The Palace of the Shah 1666

In a grand room, the walls dotted with gold and jewels Abbas, 7th Shah of the Safavids was lying on an equally large bed. It was night and the only light came from a lone torch flickering on the wall. The aging monarch was coming in and out of conciseness and the doctors had already been dismissed. Abbas was dying.

Around him sat eight figures in the shadows. One women and seven men – his favoured wife, the Kizilbash Council and his first born son. The women sobbed lightly while the men sat with grave faces. As Abbas’ eyes opened slowly as he weakly spoke, nothing more then a whisper but all leaned closer to their Shah.

‘...look after the family… look after the realm…’

Abbas then heaved a painful breath. His son, Hamza replied before he had a chance to finish what he was saying.

‘I will father! I will rule this realm in y-’

He was cut off mid-sentence by one of the Kizilbash.

‘You’ll rule nothing, you’re a heretic and all know it.’

Hamza snapped back as quickly as he had been interrupted.

‘Quiet Husayn! It is my birth right. It is none of your concern anyway. Soon you will be eating your own excrement with the rest of the savages in the tribal lands! Why my father feels you are necessary I’ll never know…’

As the dispute escalated Abbas tried in vain to speak. Each time a more strained and painful breath coming from his tired lungs. For Abbas however it was too late. His lungs gave way and as he passed away his screams were muffled by the argument raging around him. It wasn’t for another half hour, after Husayn of the Council slew Hamza dead with his scimitar after a particularly barbed insult that the men noticed their ruler was no longer with them.

And so ironically Abbas died surrounded by the tribal men he had worked so hard to banish. They were now more influential then ever.

Last edited:
Fingal said:
Can't pretend to know an awful lot about them myself Duke. Finding these things out isn't too easy either. Noone seems to care too much about thr Safavids!

I've a few books solely on the Qizilbash on loan in my room. :eek:o

Fingal said:
Wouldn't worry about the tribal state I don't think it'll last long.

If only eu2 was a bit more dynamic. After all, it was a tribal state in Afghanistan that did the Safavids in. :D

Excluding books (I kinda lack the time/determination to find them) I was struggling to find internet sources. Wiki had a reasonable article but looking up stuff you know nothing/little about on Wiki isn't perfect by a long way. As it happens Garbon there's still a chance the Kizilbash and/or other tribes will kick out the Safavids in the end. Just with the council increasing in power relations with the tribes should start to improve again so the need for a seperate state in Afghanistan will be less.

Who's next as Shah makes all the difference in that Duke. Haven't decided exactly what our new Shah will be like yet. Oh and Natal is Nata because the little native hut and 10,000 men were covering the 'L'. Being changed as I type ;)

As for dynamic EU2 I dunno in a way yea it would be nice but on the other side if I had Ming on my north-eastern border rather than the Uzbeks and the Timurids to my east instead of the Mughals it would just annoy me.

Oh, man. He slew Hamza. Ah, well, I guess it's typical for those in power to argue right when the great leader is dying/dead. Almost like a sign of success now that you think about it.

Decisions Decisions

Yea Kara and the council are all zeolous warlike men who have lived with the tribes most of their life. Not really perfect for the Safavid court. Anyway now to 'finish off' the last scene kinda...

Decisions Decisions​

270px-40sotoon.jpg

The Palace of the Shah 1666 (Continued)

Around the dead bodies of their Shah and his first son the council stood in a solemn silence. There was feeling of shock in the air at Husayn’s actions and yet none of the Kizilbash appeared shocked. Their faces showed no emotion at all in fact a small flicker of a smile may have been developing. The council had never got on with Hamza, the heretical rumours only added further to the animosity between them. During the delay Abbas’ wife had slipped out of the room without the council noticing.

After a long pause one of the council, Najam spoke.

‘Well, Abbas’ heir is dead. As it would appear our great leader is also dead. Now we must act. Hamza would have brought ruin to our great Empire who shall rule now?’

‘Pfft we should rule ourselves! We have done so for three years have we not?’ came the reply from Husayn.

The ever calm Najam stopped this line of thought quickly snapping out at Husayn.

‘Yes, that is true and yet we have no divine mandate, we have no support and finally none of us are of the line of Ismail. We cannot rule...’

Among the council a low murmur of confusion now broke out. Before long Najam continued…

‘…no my brothers, we will not rule the young Suleiman will. He shows great loyalty to the Shiite cause and has always enjoyed the company of the council. Suleiman will rule with the council by his side. Between us all infidels will fear Safavid might!’

The assembly nodded in a approval. Husayn offered up another matter for debate though.

‘What of the body?’

Najam shrugged lightly.

‘What do I care? Take it out the back door and feed it to the pigs.’

He spat on the corpse

‘Heretic’

Husayn clapped twice in quick succession and two young men dressed in the scarlet uniform of the Kizilbash Guard entered. Husayn nodded towards the body of Hamza they nodded back and carried it out through a small door at the back of the room.

Suleiman was then called to the room. A small sinewy man who couldn’t be older then eighteen entered wearing a simple white cloth robe. The council all dropped to one knee and bowed before him. After a second of Suleiman looking from each man to the next with a slightly puzzled smile Najam spoke.

‘Our Shah Abbas is dead. You will be the next Shah!’

A meek response came back

‘…but Najam surely my brother’

Najam simply shook his head and it was done. The new Shah would soon be crowned, under the supervision of the council of course.

Meanwhile in the chambers of Abbas' first wife, Shahnameh kneeled at the bottom of a bed weeping. A servant tried to comfort her but to no avail. Her husband and favoured son were both dead and how long would she be allowed to stay in the Harem now?

Last edited:
Man, silenced with a shake of the head. I smell puppet ruler!