• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Paranoid Tsar said:
The winter of 1366-67 was a mild one...

Is this year correct? I thought it was 1356? :confused:

Back to the point: thanks, PT, for reviving this great AAR! Each new scene and development left me more shocked and bewildered than the last, and I shudder to think how much longer you can keep that up! :D

Ivan's double escape surely confounded Rogneda and Maria. That was unexpected, and a really clever story idea. I have to admit I am glad he didn't get the chance to kill Aglaia by the method he had hoped. :eek:

I'm putting my money on Anastasia being the key to piercing the treachery in Moscow. Above all she holds faithfulness and honor in the highest. So when Andrei and Semyon tell her of the new "ruler" in Moscow that will be the key to snap her back to sanity and full consciousness. Whether or not she will truly forgive and be reconciled to Semyon, she will work with him and Andrei to defeat the utterly wicked and detestable traitor, Liidia.

At least, that's what would happen if I were writing the story... :rolleyes: How do you like it? :D

The story continues to throw twists and turns leading to this moment. I was shocked when Ivan went missing, but as you've laid the rest out it seems perfect. And now that we have Moscow against Moscow, so to speak, we have a damn near perfect Mexican standoff between Lidiia, Semyon and Ivan. Brilliant!

Glad I've caught up to see how it plays out!

Hmm, it comes full circle. Qasim; the most sympathetic of the characters we've met, finally comes back into the limelight.

There was a new moon in a cloudy sky on the eve of the Battle for Moscow and the darkness covered the land, obscuring the men of violence who awaited the morning. Aside from a few dying fires in the Crusader camp which poked through the inky black like small holes in a heavy blanket there was no light. Vision was reduced to nothing and every shadow seemed to hold potential menace.

The Crusaders were ready to fight, if nothing else. They had established a position on top of a hill and the hastily constructed palisades made of sharpened sticks gathered from a nearby forest gave the men some measure of fortification. Still, they were heavily outnumbered and a sense of impending doom seemed to creep in with the deep darkness as the last rays of the sun fell beneath the horizon.

The soldiers led by the false Andrei had attempted a probing attack the previous afternoon, testing the flagging mettle of the men loyal to the true descendant of Rurik. The followers of the usurper held out some hope that the demoralized defenders would simply collapse and surrender after a simple show of force but the Crusaders had managed to find enough valor to repel the attack.

The next assault on the hill would not be a test. It would come in force, with numbers far greater than the defenders.

Semyon, brother of Andrei and Marshall of the Crusader forces, lay awake. He felt the familiar combination of excitement and anxiety that always accompanied the time before battle, the time when it was still possible, at least in theory, to back down. This time, however, there was a new feeling that washed over him like frigid water, leaving him numb.

It was a feeling of fate, as if tomorrow's outcome was already decided and that outcome was his death in battle. Instead of bringing terror, though, it only brought icy indifference.

He was trapped by destiny.

The soldier sighed heavily as he rolled to his side. In the murky dark he made out a figure standing in the tent's opening.

A woman. Anastasia.

Without a word she joined him and they embraced in the darkness.

When Semyon awoke to greet the rising sun she was gone.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ivan tested the dull blade on the palm of his hand. As he pressed the cold metal into the soft flesh it turned an angry red but the blood remained beneath his skin. Only his full effort brought forth a trickle of the vital humour.

The Dragonslayer's lips assumed the predatory smile that had been his calling card when he was the Grand Duke of Moscow, before the betrayal. This was perfect. He imagined the screams his victim would make while being slowly carved with the dull instrument.

He closed his hand around the blade. Drops of deep red fell to the carpet beneath his feet. He felt a rush of ecstasy.

Revenge.

He concealed the blunt dagger beneath priestly robes and headed toward his goal. The chambers of Lidiia, Steward of Moscow.

With his heartbeat hammering in his ears he entered the room, finding the aged traitor sitting alone, apparently lost in thought. Her veiled face turned toward him as he closed the door and advanced.

The Dragonslayer had been planning this moment for weeks, watching her movements, looking for a time when she would be alone and vulnerable. In his guise as a priest he was above suspicion and had easily gathered the needed information. Now it was time to act.

"What are you doing here, father?" The hissing voice was full of annoyance. She had no need for prayers, not any longer.

"I have something for you." Ivan pulled back the hood covering his handsome features. "Something you have deserved for a long time."

She could only stare in disbelief. Leering at his enemy with evil intent Ivan produced the dull knife from beneath his robes and again slowly advanced, taking his time, savoring her fear like a fine meal.

"Guards! Assassin! Guards!" Her voice now came as a rasping scream.

"No one can help you now. Here you pay for your deeds."

As the Stewart continued to call for aid he lunged forward.

--------------------------------------------------------

"Forward! We have them!" With the outcome of the battle resting on the edge of razor, Semyon prepared an audacious counter-attack, hoping to force a salient into the faltering attackers and slay the False Andrei.

All or nothing at all.

Bodies of the dead and dying covered the hill side like horrific flowers that had suddenly sprouted in the noonday sun which now rode high in the deep blue sky. A light breeze tempered the summer heat and provided welcome relief to the exhausted soldiers. It was turning into a beautiful day, but it was also a day of slaughter and sin.

The Crusaders had the advantage of the high ground and stop-gap fortifications. Another edge they had held initially was the reluctance of the followers of the traitor to slay their fellow Russians. Sadly, this reluctance had rapidly faded as the day wore on.

After two failed attempts to take the hill the soldiers of the usurper were throwing everything they had into the third charge. The Crusader's will to fight was slowly being bled away and it looked like they might finally collapse. However, after the third attack stalled for a moment, Semyon saw his chance.

The False Andrei had foolishly advanced near the lines, perhaps hoping to steal some glory when victory came. The Militarist knew if he could bring down the illegitimate Grand Duke the enemy force would have nothing to fight for.

It was the best hope, he thought, yet it was still a fool's hope. There was no choice. "Moscow! Forward! To me men!"

Yuri watched the battle from perhaps 100 meters from the line, still unaware of the danger he was now in.

The charge made rapid progress initially as the sudden local supremacy caught the tired attackers completely off guard. Some men even ran in fear as Semyon's bold counterstroke gathered momentum.

75 meters.

Semyon's scimitar was little more than a blur as he slashed it back and forth, downing enemies as if harvesting wheat. Motivated by his example the Crusaders rushed forward with him, opening a wide gap in the traitor's line.

50 meters.

Now aware of the growing danger the army of the False Andrei desperately attempted to reform and stop the salient. Seeing the progress the remainder of the Crusader army did their best to harass the flanks and prevent reinforcements. At the center of the line so much blood had been spilt that no green was visible beneath the feet of the brave warriors.

30 meters.

The charge was starting to slow as the defenders brought their numbers to bear. The False Andrei had considered fleeing, but now stood defiant beneath the banner of Moscow, anticipating victory.

Semyon grit his teeth as a fountain of warm blood splattered across his face from a freshly beheaded foe. He could now clearly see the usurper beneath the banner that was not rightly his. This sight made Semyon's already hot blood boil in his veins.

"Forward!"

20 meters.

The False Andrei gave an unexpected order to fire into the melee as the Crusaders continued their advance. The archers hesitated for a moment but were soon raining down death. Men from both sides began to fall, deadly missiles protruding from horrible wounds.

15 meters.

The attack was falling apart as more and more Crusaders fell to the blood soaked earth, some screaming for their mothers, some simply screaming, some completely silent. Semyon was now acting only on instinct, his eyes fixed on the enemy's standard, his aching arm swinging with no regard for the pain.

10 meters.

The Militarist suddenly realized he was now alone as the man on his right crashed to the earth, blood spraying out of the visor of his helmet. For a moment he considered turning and running, but the thought was quickly dismissed. This was his final battle. Screaming like a man possessed he again rushed forward.

5 meters.

Semyon fell beneath a dozen blades cutting into his flesh. Even as he hit the ground he tried to pull himself forward, but was stopped by countless hacking blows raining down from above. He greeted death without fear.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Lidiia retreated from Ivan, moaning pitifully. The dull blade was lodged in her side. The Dragonslayer had tried to remove it, but it was caught in the Steward's ribcage. Now he would have to tear her to pieces with his bare hands.

She fled for the room's balcony overlooking the castle gardens. Ivan laughed as he prepared to dig his strong hands into her wrinkled flesh. "There is no escape for you. Your sins have found you out!"

He rushed toward her, eyes full of madness. Lidiia threw up her thin heavily scarred arms in a feeble defense. The impact of the collision sent her over the balcony.

Her scream died with a sickening squishing sound. The Dragonslayer looked down into the garden to admire his work. Lidiia was impaled on a metal fence below. The fall had thrown back her veil. Her deeply scarred and wrinkled crone's face was a mask of silent terror.

"Justice, whore!" Ivan was so satisfied with her death that he never heard the castle guards finally entering the room behind him.

When he fell to their blades they had no idea who they were slaying. They only knew that even death failed to remove the insane smile from his youthful face.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The night brought a forced truce between the two Russian armies. While Semyon's doomed charge had failed to break the army of the usurper it had provided enough room for the army loyal to the true Andrei to reorganize and hold their positions. Dismayed by the carnage, neither side had any taste for further battle.

A truce of sorts held for several days. It appeared that the False Andrei would now begin a campaign of starvation. Without the numbers to fight their way off the hill there would be no escape for the Crusaders. It was a simple matter of grinding them down until hunger did the job that steel could not.

Andrei mourned for his brothers. He had dreamed of the day when he would become Grand Duke, but these were not the circumstances. He wondered if another counter-attack might be the best way to end the standoff. At least it would allow him to die like a man, rather than wasting away until he could not fight.

Then the messenger arrived under the cover of darkness.

An army from the east was riding to their relief!

When this army arrived the forces of the False Andrei found themselves trapped, with a huge fresh force of Tartars and Russians from the east hitting them from behind. When the embattled survivors under Andrei joined in the attack the day was decided. The usurper's army simply collapsed.

Hundreds of men surrendered and were allowed to return to their homes. The False Andrei was imprisoned to await execution.

Moscow was saved.

End of Part V

Last edited:
Shy Kid: I think that covers it pretty well. Now look out for the splatter! :D

kingmbutu: I'm always a sucker for the "look who's back" moment. Qasim will be the last surprise reappearance...maybe! Expect hear from him again in the epilogue.

Duke of Wellington: I didn't want a deus ex machina ending, so I think this helps to establish what is to come without making the reader feel ripped off. Ivan was a lot of fun to write. Characters that ignore social conventions and have a really bad edge to them are always the best, I think. :D

Pirate Z: Thanks for the kind words. I hope you like the Ivan revenge scene. He's got an odd mix of savvy intrigue and straight-ahead violent tendencies and I hope that's illustrated in his revenge attempt. Bringing back Qasim was something I'd wanted to do and it ended up fitting the plot I was going for nicely. I think he has a good future. ;)

stnylan: I was glad I could find a place for him to return, too. He deserves a lot better than I've given him over the course of this AAR. As for the final post of Part V, all bets are off says it all. Everything comes to a head and no one is safe. It's a pretty wild ride to the finish, which was my goal all along. :D

J. Passepartout: I think you'll enjoy Lidiia's final fate. As always there is a key component that she completely overlooks and it comes back to ruin her plans. She simply was never a very good schemer, assuming that her talent in other areas would be enough. It isn't, clearly. :D

jwolf: Good catch on the year. I get so into plots and characters I sometimes have trouble with little details like the correct decade. :D Thanks for reading! I always try to keep the level of drama as high as possible. My mantra writing is always character, character, character and then conflict, conflict, conflict! I'm also not above just plain cheap fake-outs. ;)

Ivan really became the loose cannon in Part V. Others try to control him and it simply isn't possible. His final appearance really shows just how much on an x-factor he has really become. Combine intrigue skills with a tendency toward straight-out aggression and look out!

I had a lot of fun writing Anastasia and I think you'll be a little surprised by the ending I've got planned for her. As far as forgiving Semyon, it's really difficult to say. I'm sure part of her never will, but there is a measure of gratitude. Is it enough to save her from bitterness, or will something else do this?

coz1: I think the final conflict that ends Chapter V really brings everything together, hopefully in a satisfying manner. The nice thing about having established your characters is it really lets you crank up the conflict and throw the plot into overdrive. Writing good plots is harder for me than writing good characters. I think going for the "anything can happen" finish is the best solution. Thanks for reading! :)

Estonianzulu: My goal is to give every character a finish and I was able to fit Qasim into my plans. It really wasn't planned out in advance. I was asking myself "how can I logically bring him back?" and the rest flowed from there. It's nice when that happens! :D

Next: The epilogue and we are finished! Can you believe it???

Only the epilogue left? I'm not sure if I am glad for such a great ending series as this has been to this great aar, or if I'm more sorry it's all soon over...

Paranoid Tsar said:
As the Stewart continued to call for aid he lounged forward.
My, I wasn't aware of any Scots in this tale ;)

A final reconciliation before the end. I doubt personally that Anastacia will long outlast her husband.

This reads like a Shakespearan tragedy in so many ways. Not least, everyone dies!

I will refrain from other comments until the epilogue.

So much like Shakespeare, you have most of the inhabitants fall to some death. Fitting, I should say, and a nice hook to leave the true Andrei to clean up the spilt blood.

I particularly enjoyed the final battle involving Semyon. The way you stretched it out worked extremely well and his final end is perhaps the hardest to take of them all, at least to us. He found his bravery at the end and we can be glad of that, to be sure.

Looking forward to the epilogue, PT. And I hope you have something planned for EUIII, if not another game.

Ack! Semyon, dead? How can this be :( At least Anastasia was there for him when it counted... where is she now?

And I did enjoy Andrei's revenge. Lidiia is dead! And, while I never came to hate Andrei (the hipocrisy of man? Perhaps), I suppose his death was a boon, as well. I hope Andrei and Qasim can bring this Russo-Tatar realm to prosperity through their combined wisdom and intelligence.

Pity Seymon died, but at least the Rurikovid line has been saved! Now if Ivan would just die or produce an heir...

Ivan is dead, or did I misread something the other day?

Nikolai said:
Ivan is dead, or did I misread something the other day?

By rights he ought to have died of that poisoning, but he recovered. Yuri (That snot-nosed schoolkid brat from early in the story) tried to pass himself off as Andrei, but the real Andrei and Seymon beat his forces. Ivan II is still Grand Duke.

Well, he didn't die of the poison, but the guards' attack ought to have finished him off.;)

Nikolai said:
Well, he didn't die of the poison, but the guards' attack ought to have finished him off.;)

Whoops. Never mind. The Duke is dead. Long live the Duke! Perhaps Andrew can rid Moscow of these machinations.

Bravo. :cool:

Epilogue: Mother Russia

When a man finds himself in motion, he always devises some purpose for that motion. In order to walk a thousand versts a man must believe that something good awaits him at the end of those thousand versts. He must have the prospect of a promised land to give him the strength to go on.

-from War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes, and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Revelation 21:4

Great nations built from the bones of the dead with mud and straw, blood and sweat, you know your worth when your enemies praise your architecture of aggression.

-from Architecture of Aggression by Megadeth, written by Mustaine/Ellefson

47108376-8097-02800236-.jpg

The Church of the Ascension had seen the crowning of the usurper and now, by the grace of God, it was the site of the transference of power to the rightful heir of the legendary Rurik. Metropolitan Gerasim, his wrinkled hands beginning to show the ravages of age, raised his arms in a blessing as the power to rule Moscow and the lands loyal to her was bestowed on Andrei, the strongest living son of Ivan I.

The young man struggled with mixed emotions. Only a week before he had been in this same church to bury his brothers. Semyon had died a hero in battle while Ivan II had shared the fate of a common murderer under the blades of castle guards. Now only Andrei remained as a male heir.

As Gerasim finished the blessing the Man of God felt a wave of relief wash over him. He had been largely powerless during the seizure of power that had occurred, but the guilt still tore at him. The gnawing feeling of personal failure to stand up to the sins of the world was partially assuaged, but he already had plans to fully cleanse himself. He had started writing a new chronicle, a secret history of the reign of Ivan I and II.

The truth would be told.

With the blessing completed, Andrei turned to leave the church, his eyes sweeping over the gathered throng of nobles and religious leaders. Many were only nominally loyal and could not be trusted, but there were those he did trust, and was already forming into a ruling council.

There was the Tartar, Qasim. He would replace Lidiia as the Steward of Moscow. He had already advised the new Grand Duke to adopt a policy of tolerance to the Easterners now under his rule and Andrei planned to heed his advice. The One True Faith would gradually spread to them. Qasim himself had already converted.

His sister Maria and Ivan's widow Rogneda would join the former Muslim as his most trusted advisors. Both women had proved their worth many times and their knowledge of diplomacy and intrigue would be invaluable in the turbulent days that lay ahead.

Finally, there was Anastasia, Semyon's widow. There was still an icy chill in the Lithuanian woman, but there were also hints of a coming spring. She was still mourning her husband, but it remained to be seen if she would recover fully from the tragedies that had visited her over the past few years. Andrei thought that it was likely that she would.

Leaving the church the new Grand Duke was greeted by the brisk winter air. Ringing church bells echoed in his ears as he greeted the people of Moscow for the first time. The mood was one of optimism, of a new beginning after so many false starts.

That night the chosen council met for the first time. The news was mixed, but generally surprisingly favorable. In the east Lithuania had decided to renounce their pagan errors and follow the Bishop of Rome in order to secure a friendship with mighty Poland. For now their focus would be in the west. Elsewhere, the Merchant Republic of Novgorod was seeing her lands in the east slip out of her weakening grasp. It would be a simple matter for Moscow to harvest these lands, hopefully without bloodshed.

By the end of the meeting Andrei was full of confidence for the future. As long as power remained centralized in Moscow the Grand Duchy would gradually grow in strength. One day, perhaps within Andrei's lifetime, they would truly become the rulers of all the Rus.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Dmitri, the village elder of Nilkino, was on his death bed. The old man had survived multiple outbreaks of plague and war, but was no more able to fight off the steady decay of time than any other man. He knew his time was almost up.

"You still have some color." Stanislav, a former priest and longtime friend of the elder, had come to visit, perhaps for the final time.

The older man suppressed a painful cough, his eyes watering. Recovering somewhat he turned his head toward the much younger man. His voice was barely a whisper "I am weak. It will not be long before I see the next world, old friend."

Stanislav involuntarily crossed himself and then set a hand on his friend's arm. "You might still recover."

"No, this is my time. You can feel it when it is. None of us are eternal, but the land is. It will always be there, just like our souls." A drop of blood slid from his cracked lips as he managed a smile.

"I think I understand." The former priest had found meaning for himself in the life of a farmer, after unsuccessfully chasing his purpose first as a priest and then in a religious cult.

Dmitri continued to smile as his eyes closed, never to open again.

He would be returned to the soil, but the truth was he had never truly left it.

--------------------------------------------------------

Feodosia had to laugh. It was a sweet sound, carefree. The ideas children had!

"I am the real man of Russia!" Oleg, her first child, clutched a toy sword in his tiny hands and attempted to draw himself up to attention only to fall on his bottom. As tears poured down his plump face his mother engulfed him in her arms.

Her husband, Fyodor, watched the scene with satisfaction. He had seen his wife emerge from the bitterness of her early life as the "Devil Child" to become a loving wife and mother. Seeing her warmth now it was hard to believe how shy and distant she was when they had first met.

"It looks like the soldier has fallen, but there will be other battles." His eyes locked with hers as she looked up and he felt the same excitement he had experienced on that first night so long ago.

Fyodor joined the embrace, holding both his wife and child close. He rubbed Oleg's head. "There will be time for you to be a man soon enough. Do not rush toward it."

Fyodor almost wished this moment would never end, but its inevitable conclusion was tempered by the news his wife had for him shortly afterward.

She was expecting another child.

----------------------------------------------------------

Anastasia, widow of Semyon, rested her hands on her expanding stomach. As she hummed to herself, feeling the movements of the new life growing inside her, her mind traveled back to the one night she had spent with Semyon, before he had fallen in battle.

She allowed herself a smile at the memory.

What she did not know was the child she was carrying, who would also be named Ivan, would one day rule. Andrei would never father an heir and the succession would fall on Semyon's only male child. This Ivan would take the name of Ivan III and would one day be know as Ivan the Great.

He would complete the annexation of Novgorod and create the Kingdom of Russia.

For now, however, Ivan simply gave Anastasia a reason to have hope and even joy.

She continued to hum silently, feeling the movements of the unborn child, the child that would finally achieve the dream of Moscow.

The End

Last edited:
Bravo! Bravo! What an excellent tale from beginning to end. A chronicle to inspire imitation and awe. Bravo and encore!