• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This reminds me of Range's Transylvania AAR where half of it was a murder mystery story.

I will add more stuff that I hope will work out with my writing abilities. Anyways, kicking this AAR off with murders seem fun.

Section I

Chapter 7 (part 1)

[January 29, 1356]

(Kaposvár, Hungary)

Ferdinand meets the priest at the church early in the morning. The priest was already up when he arrives.

Ferdinand: Morning, Father.
Priest: Morning. Did you forget something here last night?
Ferdinand: No. I just have a few questions that I hope you can answer.
Priest: Ask away and I will try my best answering them.
Ferdinand: Who is Laura?
Priest: She's the daughter of a well-known noble family. Have you heard about the Bethlen family?
Ferdinand: I am still new here. So no.
Priest: Their family is known to help the poor. Of course, that doesn't mean the Bethlen family weren't good at making ducats. They have quite an influence. It was said that some of their members once served the royal family.
Ferdinand: Once?
Priest: Yes, there was a war to determine the next king of Hungary. The Bethlen family chose the losing side.
Ferdinand: I'm surprised they still hold power right now.
Priest: They were very influential. Wiping their family out would bring about more wars. The king isn't a fool.
Ferdinand: Are you saying that the current king is the victor in the struggle for power?
Priest: Yes, King Louis turned out to be winner of the struggle. He may have spared the Bethlen family but I'm afraid he still looks to wipe out that family.
Ferdinand: He doesn't trust them, does he?
Priest: They turned against him once. What's stopping them from trying a second time? I worry about Laura though.
Ferdinand: Why?
Priest: She's like an angel. She doesn't deserve to be caught in all this. To make matters worse, there are rumors spreading around.
Ferdinand: Rumors?
Priest: They say the Bethlen family got on the wrong side of the Orkzy family.
Ferdinand: Orkzy family?
Priest: I forgot you are still new here. The viceroy of our province belongs to that family.
Ferdinand: That sounds like trouble.
Priest: It is. So, why are you asking about her?
Ferdinand: I would rather not answer that question.
Priest: You don't need to. Your face is telling me why. By the way, don't you need to open your stall today?
Ferdinand: Thank you, Father. I guess I should head off now.

On his way to his stall, Ferdinand sees two man chatting. At first, he doesn't pay them any attention. When one of the man mentions the Bethlen family, Ferdinand turns towards them.

Ferdinand: Hey. I hear you were talking about the Bethlen family.
Man 1: What does it mean to you?
Ferdinand: A kid of my relative lives at a church funded by them.
Man 2: I see. Then I'm sure you will want to hear about this. Tell him.
Man 1: Fine. I heard that the Bethlen manor burned to the ground yesterday. They say no one survived that fire. Tha....
Ferdinand: Where is that manor?
Man 2: You see the tower? It right next to it. Of course, you won't find much other than ashes and ruins.

Ferdinand runs off towards the tower. He soon sees a crowd standing around some walls. Pushing his way through, he sees the ruin of a big manor. Some city guards just finished searching the place and starts leaving. The moment they were gone, people in the crowd begin running towards the ruin. Ferdinand overhears that some of them believe that there are still some valuables lying around. Ferdinand decides to check the ruin in hopes of finding anything that could confirm that Laura is alive. An hour passed and everyone else has left. Ferdinand still checks carefully around the ruin when he trips over something. He looks at where he tripped on and sees a small chest. The chest, painted a dark black, is easy to not notice in the ashes. As he starts wiping away the ashes, he hears some people running onto the front yard. Ferdinand quickly put the chest into his coat and walk out. No one pays him any attention and thus he leaves without trouble. Ferdinand decides to head back home and leave his stall closed for the day.

Section I

Chapter 7 (part 2)

[January 29, 1356]

(Debrecen, Hungary)

Cato manages to find out the location of the Fielding's manor from a guard. When he arrives, the captain is standing guard. Upon seeing Cato arrive, the captain signals one of his men to go into the manor. It doesn't take long before he return. He whispers something in the captain's ears before getting back to his post.

Captain: I see you have arrived. Before you go in, we must check for weapons.
Cato: Go ahead. I'm not carrying any.

The captain searches Cato and finds nothing except for a bit of ducats.

Captain: Follow me.

The captain leads Cato into the manor. Instead of heading upstairs, the two men head downstairs into the basement.

Cato: Does the mayor like to stay beneath the ground?
Captain: No, he just stays there for special occasions.
Cato: Special occasions?
Captain: Yes. When he wishes to discuss things in secret, there is no better place than the basement.

The captain leads Cato through hallways that form a maze. After a while, the two arrived at a door.

Captain: Go inside. The mayor is expecting you.

Cato pushes open the door and sees the mayor working at his desk. The captain follows behind him and stands between him and the door.

Rick: Please sit down and make yourself comfortable.
Cato: You knew I would be coming.
Rick: Of course, Cato.
Cato:...
Rick: Don't worry. I'm keeping you alive because you are still valuable to me.
Cato: How so?
Rick: You hate the viceroy for killing your father, don't you?
Cato: I know he's the mastermind. How do I know you weren't involved as well.
Rick: Let me tell you a bit about my family. My father and the father of the viceroy were brothers. It was supposed to be my father who get the viceroy position. Instead, his brother got it. As the viceroy, his first duty was to assassinate my father. To keep me happy, he made me the mayor.
Cato: You don't look happy.
Rick: He took away my father. His son took away my rightful title. I want revenge. I have been plotting for a long time already. You should know that plotting against the viceroy isn't cheap. I wouldn't waste any resources on killing your father. He isn't a threat to me.
Cato: Why do you bring me here then?
Rick: Your father knew something. He kept you in the dark but I believe you are the best candidate to find out about this secret.
Cato: How do you expect me to find out? Are you asking me to go back to Arad?
Rick: No, I had a feeling I would find you back in the Hungary. I've already brought all of your father's possessions from Arad.
Cato: I thought you didn't want to waste resources.
Rick: I'm not wasting resource. I've merely put it in good use. Now, are you willing to help me?
Cato: If I refuse, I die?
Rick: If you refuse, you will die. Not by my hand though. The viceroy wants you dead at all cost. I believe you found out what happened to your friends in that tavern.
Cato: You knew!
Rick: I didn't do it. The viceroy did it.
Cato: So he knows my identity already?
Rick: No, he wants to eliminate the owner of that tavern. Your group was just unfortunate enough to be caught in the middle.
Cato: Once I find out about this secret, I'm a dead man?
Rick: You are a dead man either way. Why not die knowing that you avenged your father.
Cato: Okay, I'll work for you.
Rick: Excellent! The captain will show you your room. You will get started tomorrow.

NOOOOOOOO! Laura! I hope she's alive. Also is that chest the same chest as the one I think it is?

I'm glad Laura got a fan. On the topic of the chest, I think I know what you're referring to but I would rather not spoil anything :p. So you will need to wait for future chapters before you can find out.

Yeah, Laura and Ferdinand are my favourite characters, also I seem to be the only fan right now where's everyone else?

Everyone else are lurking around. They might come out of hiding one day. Webstantine, why don't you pm me a character name and a brief history of that character? Since you're my only fan without a character, I don't mind making you one.

Section I

Chapter 8 (part 1)

[February 1, 1356]

(Hinterpommern, Pommerania)

A group of men gather inside a church.

Man 1: I know we don't have much time. We need to act.
Man 2: I think you are getting a little too hasty.
Man 1: The future of our nation is at stake. Are you going to act when our enemies arrive at our gates?
Man 3: I agree that we cannot wait. What can we do?
Man 1: We ask a foreign power for help.
Man 2: Foreign power? This is outrageous! You are merely speeding up the destruction of our nation.
Man 1: You are foolish to think that. Our current king is mad. He is going to get our nation into wars. Wars we cannot hope to win.
Man 2: I start to wonder if you are the mad one here.
Man 4: I'm tired of you arguing amongst yourselves. Let's decide on something.
Man 2: Alright, I guess we have no choice. I don't like it but we may have to rely on a foreign power. How are we going to convince them to help us?
Man 3: That is easy. We swear allegiance and become their vassal.
Man 2: Vassal? What is stopping them from outright annexing us?
Man 3: That is where we play the diplomatic game. They won't annex us unless they want the Holy Roman Emperor as their enemy.
Man 2: We all know that the emperor is merely a figurehead. You couldn't possibly believe he would aid us.
Man 3: What other choice do we have?
Man 2: ...
Man 3: Who should we ask for help?
Man 1: I think Poland is the best bet for us. They are strong and outside the HRE.
Man 2: Poland borders us. What is stopping them from attacking us instead?
Man 1: Do you have a better suggestion?
Man 4: What about Hungary?
Man 3: Hungary might be a good option. They have some strength.
Man 2: I would prefer Hungary as well. They are far enough that annexing us would be a problem for them. With a border with the emperor, they would think twice before annexing us.
Man 1: I guess we have agreed on something. Let's leave before anyone crash our party.

While two of the men left, two stayed behind a little bit longer.

Man 4: You sure we can trust him? He seems to oppose everything we said.
Man 1: He is a cautious man. However, he is loyal to his nation.
Man 4: I hope so. Otherwise, we may not see tomorrow.
Man 1: I cannot believe that our old king was foolish enough to name a mad man as heir.
Man 4: There is a chance that someone rigged the results.
Man 1: What do you mean?
Man 4: How many people were by the king's death bed?
Man 1: I think it's four.
Man 4: Out of those four, how many benefited directly from the rise of the new king?
Man 1: All four.
Man 4: It's too much of an coincidence, don't you think?
Man 1: Yes.
Man 4: I just hope your trust isn't misplaced.
Man 1: I hope so too.

Section I

Chapter 8 (part 2)

[February 1, 1356]

(Kaposvár, Hungary)

After 2 days of thinking, Ferdinand decides to open the small chest to see what's inside. To his surprise, the chest wasn't locked. Lifting the lid carefully, Ferdinand sees an envelope inside. He takes out the envelope to find some papers inside. Before he decides to look at the content within the papers, he look at the envelope itself. On the front of the envelope, there are letters written in a language that he doesn't recognize. He sees the seal carefully peeled off and something that resembles a giant bird. He finds out that the content, like the envelope, is written in the same language. He is at a loss at how to translate the language. After thinking a bit, he remembers his conversation with the priest. The priest apparently knows someone that is well-versed in many languages. Putting everything back into the chest, Ferdinand hides the small chest under his bed. He then heads to the church. The priest is tending to the gardens when he arrives.

Ferdinand: Father, how are you?
Priest: You are taking a day off, are you?
Ferdinand: Yes, I also have something to ask of you.
Priest: What is it?
Ferdinand: I came across a small chest. Inside are papers written in a language I don't understand.
Priest: You wish to meet the bishop I was talking about?
Ferdinand: Yes.
Priest: You are in luck. He is inside the church right now. Why don't you bring the papers? I'm sure he doesn't mind translating it for you.
Ferdinand: Thank you, Father!

Ferdinand rushes home, takes out the envelope and heads back to the church. The priest leads him into one of the guest quarters where he meet an old man.

Priest: Bishop Eilers, I have someone that wishes to see you.
Eilers: Why would someone want to see an old man like me?
Priest: He came across a foreign language. He hopes that you can help him translate it.
Eilers: I see. I'll be happy to help.

Ferdinand hands over the envelope. The bishop carefully take out the content and unfold the papers. After a brief look, he turns towards Ferdinand.

Eilers: Where did you get this?
Ferdinand: I found it.
Eilers: Where?
Ferdinand: I don't remember.
Eilers: Well, do you have any idea what you came across?
Ferdinand: No.
Eilers: The language written here is old Hungarian. It was said to be last used by the Arpada family.
Ferdinand: Arpads?
Eilers: They were the royal families that once ruled over Hungary. They were replaced by the Anjou. King Louis is part of the Anjou bloodline.
Ferdinand: That is interesting.
Eilers: Interesting? It's truly amazing! There are few records remaining with this language. You, my friend, have discovered a great treasure.
Ferdinand: What does it say then?
Eilers: I cannot answer that right now. I am, unfortunately, not fluent in this language. You need to give me a month to translate the whole thing.
Ferdinand: I know it cannot be rushed. Please get it done as soon as possible.
Eilers: I can assure you that I am eager to translate this as well.
Priest: Ferdinand, the bishop needs rest. I know that he will get it done.
Ferdinand: Thank you, Father, Thank you, Bishop Eilers.

Ferdinand leaves with a bit of hope. He knows that the papers contain something that may tell him where Laura is.

Yeah, Laura and Ferdinand are my favourite characters, also I seem to be the only fan right now where's everyone else?

lurking ofc.

also blklizard, about the post with the men in the church - I think marking the characters only with numbers makes readers waste energy on checking back who is actually speaking at the moment after every line. it could also make the whole conversation a bit confusing - or at least it did so to me...

lurking ofc.

also blklizard, about the post with the men in the church - I think marking the characters only with numbers makes readers waste energy on checking back who is actually speaking at the moment after every line. it could also make the whole conversation a bit confusing - or at least it did so to me...

Thanks for the feedback. Let's just say I haven't decided on the names and roles of those 4 men yet :p. I will try to avoid this in the future if possible.

Section I

Chapter 9 (part 1)

[February 3, 1356]

(Kaposvár, Hungary)

Ferdinand begins his day off like many of his other days. After eating breakfast, he takes a small stroll around the city before heading to his stall. This day would be slightly different though. The stall across from him has changed owners and Ferdinand, as he walks towards his stall, sees the new owner. Ferdinand decides to say hi.

Ferdinand: Hi there! Welcome to the neighborhood. I'm Ferdinand.
Man: Hello there! I'm Francisco. Are you here to buy something?
Ferdinand: No. I own the stall across from yours.
Francisco: I see. A competitor. I better be careful.
Ferdinand: Don't worry. From first glance, I would say you sell jewelry. I'm merely a barrel maker.
Francisco: I was kidding with you. Healthy competition is always good. Where are you from? You don't appear to be Hungarian.
Ferdinand: I'm from Brandenburg. How about you?
Francisco: That's a long way from here. I'm from Venice.
Ferdinand: I'm surprised that you would come here. Isn't there more money to be made in Venice?
Francisco: You only get rich is you are part of the families that control the republic. I'm merely a small merchant that cannot compete with them.

A young woman comes up to Ferdinand. In her hands, she holds a cat.

Francisco: This is my daughter, Sophie.
Sophie: Nice to meet you! What's your name?
Ferdinand: It's Ferdinand, miss.
Sophie: Oh right! I forgot to introduce my friend here. This is pebbles. Pebbles, say hi.
Pebbles: Meow.
Ferdinand: Hi there, pebbles.
Ferdinand: ...
Sophie: She's asking: "How are you?"
Ferdinand: I'm fine. And you?
Sophie: She said she's fine as well.
Sophie: She's hungry now. I'll get her some breakfast. See you soon, father.

Sophie, holding the cat, leaves the two men to their conversation.

Ferdinand: Can she actually understand the cat?
Francisco: I have no idea. Though, I think there is a special bond between those two.
Ferdinand: She seems very attached to the cat.
Francisco: Her mother gave her the cat as a gift.
Ferdinand: I should let you set up your stall.
Francisco: Of course, nice to meet you. I hope we can have a talk over a drink sometime.

Ferdinand begins to set up his stall. When he finishes setting everything up, he feels something nudging his feet. When he looks down, he sees pebbles.

Pebbles: Meow!
Ferdinand: I'm afraid I don't speak cat.

Pebbles jumps onto Ferdinand's chair and starts to take a nap. Ferdinand chuckles at the sight and heads to his workbench. After he finishes making five barrels, he takes a look at his guest and see Pebbles staring at him.

Ferdinand: How was your nap?
Pebbles: Meow. :happy:

Pebbles jump off the chair and moves towards Ferdinand. Once Pebbles is close enough, Ferdinand start petting her. Pebbles, happy for the attention, starts purring. Sophie enters the stall.

Sophie: Pebbles, there you are.
Pebbles: Meow! :)
Sophie: I'm sorry, Ferdinand. I hope she wasn't a problem.
Pebbles: Meow! :mad:
Ferdinand: I enjoyed her company.
Sophie: That's good. Pebbles, let's go.
Pebbles: Meow. :sad:

Last edited:
Section I

Chapter 9 (part 2)

[February 3, 1356]

(Hinterpommern, Pommerania)

Man: Brother, don't go!
Alwin: I have no choice. You should know this better than everyone else.
Man: Why must it be you? You have a family. You are needed here. There are thousands of men in our nation that should be doing this.
Alwin: When my nation needs me, I have no choice. I am willing to sacrifice my life for her.
Man: What about your two year old son? What will we tell him?
Alwin: Tell him that his father died for his nation.
Man: You were always stubborn.
Alwin: I'm the only one suited for the job.
Man: I know I cannot persuade you not to go. However, promise me that you will try to return.
Alwin: I promise I will come back in one piece if possible.
Man:The Bohemia king decided to bar their borders from travelers. That's such a big inconvenience.
Alwin: After the last failed assassination attempt, I'm surprised their king isn't mad already.
Man: I cannot believe there has been ten failed assassination attempts. You would think they would send the best.
Alwin: The king has always had a large number of guards with him. With each attempt, he doubled the number.
Man: With the guards he have, he could almost form an army that could rival ours.
Alwin: That's why I must go. We have neighbors that are growing too powerful.
Man: Be careful in Poland. I heard they have many rebel groups in their provinces.
Alwin: I won't be attracting attention. I know better than that.
Man: Just be careful. Though I'm surprised that Poland is still whole.
Alwin: Their king has been ruthless. It's only a matter of time before we are at war with them. No one is safe with them as neighbors.
Man: I just hope Hungary is the right decision. What if their king is power hungry and decides to eat us whole instead?
Alwin: Let's hope not. We have no one else that can aid us then.
Man: I still think France is our best option.
Alwin: France? Those wine drinking cowards can never aid us. All they can achieve is pick on the weak. For all we know, they will blob up from eating their small neighbors.

There is a knock on the door. The man opens the door to find a messenger.

Messenger: Is Alwin here?
Alwin: Yes.
Messenger: Here are the documents. Guard them with your life and make sure you reach King Louis.
Alwin: Understood.
Messenger: I'm leaving now. If I were you, I would leave tonight. I fear our king is suspecting us.
Alwin: Alright. I've finished packing everything. I will be leaving in an hour or so.
Messenger: I wish you success. Our nation depends on it.

The messenger leaves the two brothers in their small room.

Man: Time for you to go then?
Alwin: Yes. I have a feeling that the messenger is followed. The lie should give me enough time to leave our borders.
Man: May God protect you, brother.

Alwin gets his bags and starts his journey by climbing out of the window and jumping onto the backyard.

Accepting new characters. If you want to have a character in the AAR, please PM me the name, gender and a short bio. People who already have a character in the AAR can submit their second one. Thanks!

Section I

Chapter 10 (part 1)

[February 4, 1356]

(Torun, Poland)

Alwin sees a great fire in front of him. His home is burning down and he can hear the call for help from his brother and sisters. Alwin wants to run towards the house to help but he is held back. He looks behind him and sees a stranger holding him down.

Alwin: Who are you?
Stranger: You don't need to know. So, how does it feel to see everyone you know dying in front of you?
Alwin: You monster! Let me go!
Stranger: You thought they would be safe in Poland, didn't you? Well, you are definitely wrong. Your brother in Pommerania will be punished as well.

Alwin struggles but he cannot get himself free.

Stranger: Why struggle when you can enjoy the show in safety? Do you hear their screams? Do you?
Alwin: You're a monster. Do you enjoy seeing other people die?
Stranger: No. You got it wrong. I'm not the monster. You are. You are the reason why they are dying.
Alwin: What do you mean?
Stranger: This is your punishment for betraying our king. You killed your family. You are the murderer.
Alwin: No. That cannot be possible. I'm trying to save them.
Stranger: Save them? You are only sending them to their deaths. Your so called revolution will fail. Our king will reign supreme.
Alwin: No. I won't give up.
Child: Papa.

Alwin turns around and sees his son standing before him. His son is all tied up and shows fear on his face.

Stranger: Father and son are reunited. How wonderful. I think we will give you a special show. Watch as your son enjoy a slow and painful death.

The stranger signals one of his men. The man takes out a tool that Alwin knew very well.

Stranger: Watch your son skinned to death. You will get front row seats to this magnificent performance. Do enjoy.
Child: Papa. Help me! Help me!!!!!!!!!!
Alwin: No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alwin sits up and begins to sweat. He looks around and finds himself on a carriage. Once his breathing calms down, he realizes that it was all a dream. Alwin prays that this wasn't a vision. He knew that failure in his mission would result in that tragic ending. The sun has just begun rising up and Alwin has just entered Torun.

(Kaposvár, Hungary)

Ferdinand wakes up earlier than usual. He looks out his window to see the sun barely in the sky. Getting out of bed, he decides to have a stroll before breakfast. Before he can exit the building, the landlord calls him over.

Landlord: Ferdinand. Wait up.
Ferdinand: I paid my rent.
Landlord: I know. I just have something to give to you.
Ferdinand: Something for me?
Landlord: Someone left it for you. Just take it. I didn't read it.

The landlord hands Ferdinand a piece of paper folded in half. Ferdinand opens up the paper.

Dear Ferdinand,

I don't know who else I can ask help from. You are someone that I know I can trust and not known to my enemies. Please help me. I'm at the tower near my home. Please come quickly and tell no one of this.

love,

Laura

Ferdinand's heart skips a few beats. He always believed that Laura was alive. The paper only confirms his belief.

Ferdinand: When did this paper arrive?
Landlord: It arrived last night. The man with the letter didn't stick around. He just gave me this paper and left.

Ferdinand heads out the building. He begins running towards the tower in hopes of reuniting with his beloved Laura.

Not only is Laura a survivor, but Alwin probably has quite a bit to fear.

Also, I just noticed the reference to France blobbing up. I haven't played enough D&T to know if they're reliably the "end boss" of that game, but I guess we'll see how much of a role the French play in the web of intrigue you're spinning (and Louis XI de Valois isn't due to be born for almost 70 years!).

Section I

Chapter 10 (part 2)

[February 4, 1356]

(Kaposvár, Hungary)

Ferdinand runs as quickly as he could towards the tower. To his surprise, there was already a crowd gathering outside. Walking up to the nearest man, he asks him about the crowd.

Ferdinand: May I ask why people are gathered here?
Man: There has been a brutal fight here. Lots of people died.
Ferdinand: A fight outside the tower?
Man: No. It was a bloody fight inside the tower.
Ferdinand: How many people died?
Man: Don't ask me. I believe the city guards are carrying the corpses out right now. You can count yourself.

Ferdinand immediately shoves his way to the front. Like the man said, the guards were carrying the corpses out. A few minute passes and the guards no longer enter the tower.

Ferdinand: Guards! Are these all the dead people?
Guard 1: You want more corpses? I'm afraid this is all we got.

Ferdinand starts looking at the bodies. Out of the 12 bodies, none of them belonged to Laura. Ferdinand breathes a sigh of relief as he thinks that Laura got away. Ferdinand decides to go to his stall and hope that Laura will contact him when he heads home.

(Debrecen, Hungary)

Cato enters a small room with the captain to see the mayor.

Rick: Nice to see you again, Dominik.
Cato: Wish I can say the same thing.
Rick: I will be assigning you to our border patrol. You will get your chance to kill our viceroy there.
Cato: How?
Rick: You will be assigned as his personal guard. When you find the opportunity, kill him. It's rather simple.
Cato: How did you get him to trust you?
Rick: Your improvement in swordsmanship has reached his ears. He says he needs reliable bodyguards at the border. There are rumors that people are after him.
Cato: Why not let those people get him?
Rick: They will fail. However, they may provide the distraction you need to kill undetected.
Cato: I see.
Rick: Get prepared for the trip. I am sure you are eager to avenge your father.

Cato exits the room while the captain stays with the mayor.

Captain: I have doubt he will succeed. The viceroy has many bodyguards. It's not that difficult to overwhelm him.
Rick: He better succeed. His life depends on it.
Captain: What if he decides not to attempt the assassination?
Rick: We will leak out news about his real identity and let the viceroy deal with him.
Captain: What if he betrays us?
Rick: Betray us and aid his greatest enemy? He's not capable of that feat.

(Torun, Poland)

Knowing that the carriage isn't leaving for another hour, Alwin decides to explore the village he is at. Walking past a few buildings, he hears some shouting in the direction of a crowd.

Woman: You PIG!!!!! How dare you peek at us while we bathe.
Man: Lady! I didn't peek. Why would I waste my time on you old ladies?

A few men in the crowd laughed.

Woman: Get lost then! We have enough pigs in our farms. We cannot afford another one.
Man: Don't worry. I won't stay with the grub you serve your pigs.
Woman: You're right! You make the pigs look bad.
Man: Now that was rather harsh.
Woman: Get lost before we throw you out!
Man: You and what army?

Seven other women gathered behind the woman. The man, unwilling to fight against women, decides to leave. As he turns the corner, he bumps into Alwin.

Alwin: I'm sorry.
Man: Why apologize why I bumped into you? You, sir, are too kind. What's your name?
Alwin: You may call me Alwin.
Man: Alwin? You are from the west then. You can call me Zoltán.
Alwin: What was with the racket?
Zoltán: That woman had a bad morning. She chose to take it out on me.
Alwin: ....
Zoltán: What brings you to our little village?
Alwin: I'm heading to Hungary.
Zoltán: That's a long way here. How about this? I will give you a great deal and I will protect you.
Alwin: What are you?
Zoltán: I'm a mercenary who protects common folks like yourself.
Alwin: I don't have spare ducats to hire you.
Zoltán: May I ask why you are heading to Hungary? The fact that you are packed lightly doesn't look like you are moving there.
Alwin: I'm trying to save my nation.
Zoltán: Save a nation? That's a grand dream.
Alwin: You probably see me as a madman now.
Zoltán: No. I see the look in your eyes. I like to help you free of charge then.
Alwin: Why change of heart?
Zoltán: As a mercenary, I'm destined to die in battle. I hope to die in a battle that decides the fate of a nation.
Alwin: ...
Zoltán: I know. You don't trust me. I will tag along and show you how useful I am. As for ducats, I've packed enough to last a year.
Alwin: Traveling gets lonely. I don't mind a companion.
Zoltán: That's the spirit!

(Kaposvár, Hungary)

After closing his stall, Ferdinand walks home quickly. When he enters the building, the landlord stops him.

Landlord: Have you heard the news?
Ferdinand: What news?
Landlord: They found a woman's corpse in the alleyway beside our building. From her clothes, the officials believe it's Laura Bethlen.

Section I

Chapter 11

[February 6, 1356]

(Hungary-Transylvania border at Partium)

Cato is escorted by two men into the viceroy's tent. Looking around, Cato sees many guards surrounding the viceroy.

Martin: You are the one they speak so highly of?
Cato: Yes.
Martin: I believe your name is Dominik?
Cato: Yes.
Martin: You don't talk much, do you?
Cato: I usually speak with my sword.
Martin: The tongue can be a mightier weapon than a sword. Do you know why I requested you to come here?
Cato: To be your bodyguard.
Martin: Yes, that's true. I'm curious. Where does your loyalty lie?
Cato: My loyalty is with the viceroy, of course.
Martin: I'm surprised that your loyalty isn't with the king.
Cato: I would most likely never meet the king. You cannot be loyal to someone you have never even met once.
Martin: Here I was thinking that you didn't know how to use your tongue. Keep this up and you will be promoted quickly.
Cato: I have something to discuss with you, viceroy. However, I would prefer to speak with you alone.
Martin: Something to discuss?
Cato: Yes. I am unarmed. You could have one of your bodyguards search me.

The viceroy signals the bodyguard to his right to search Cato. After a thorough search, the bodyguard came up with nothing. The viceroy then signals everyone to leave so he can speak with Cato.

Martin: Dominik, I'm intrigued with what you wish to discuss.
Cato: I'm surprised that you trust me enough to speak with me one on one. Aren't you worried I could kill you with my bare hands?
Martin: I'm not a pushover. I can assure you that I can beat you in a fight.
Cato: Why all the bodyguards then?
Martin: My enemies don't play fair. They would be more than happy to outnumber me. Bodyguards are mere precautions. Anyways, what's so important that you wish to speak with me alone?
Cato: I'm assuming that you know the mayor that sent me.
Martin: Rick?
Cato: Yes, I believe there was some bad blood between you and him. Or rather, it was between your father and his father.
Martin: That's true. I wanted to make up for it by giving him a title.
Cato: He isn't satisfied.
Martin: Isn't satisfied?
Cato: He believes that the viceroy title should belong to him.
Martin: That's absurd!
Cato: He wanted me to find a chance to kill you. If you die, he would have a chance to rise to the position.
Martin: Why are you betraying him?
Cato: I'm not betraying him. I was never loyal to him in the first place. I am merely choosing a path where I will come out ahead. I have long heard that the viceroy rewards his subjects generously. Rick, on the other hand, has favorites. If I'm not his favorite and crosses him path, I could be found dead the next day.
Martin: Well said. So, you just wish to tell me about this betrayal?
Cato: I have a plan which will aid you in ridding him.
Martin: Really? Let's hear it.
Cato: We can send rumors that you were wounded. We ask Rick to visit you as you have him name in your will. Once he arrives, we will create a little chaos where an assassin "accidentally" kills him. No one will suspect you as we will praise him for protecting you.
Martin: You, my boy, will have a bright future ahead of you. What reward do you wish to get?
Cato: We will speak of reward once we succeed in killing Rick.
Martin: Good. Very good!

Section I

Chapter 12 (part 1)

[February 7, 1356]

(Kalisz, Poland)

Alwin and Zoltán has just arrived in Kalisz. The carriage is going to leave in two hours. The two men head to a nearby village to get some supplies. After an hour, the two men meet outside the village.

Alwin: What's in the barrel?
Zoltán: It's just brews to keep me occupied for the next few days.
Alwin: You're saying that you will finish that in a few days?
Zoltán: Of course. It's not that much. I've actually been cutting down on brews lately. I used to have a barrel a day.
Alwin: That's quite impressive.
Zoltán: You don't drink, do you?
Alwin: No.
Zoltán: You're missing out on one of the greatest things in life. Here's my offer. I'm willing to share with you some of my brew. In return, you will share with me some stories.
Alwin: No thanks. I would pass on drinking. However, I don't mind sharing a story with you.
Zoltán: Are you sure? This brew is pretty good. You may not get another chance to taste it.
Alwin: I will pass.
Zoltán: How about help me with the barrel? It's a bit heavy.
Alwin: How did you get it here in the first place?
Zoltán: I borrowed a donkey.
Alwin: Borrowed?
Zoltán: Alright, I sort of borrowed without permission. The donkey is in one piece though.
Alwin: Why do I have a feeling you'll be more of a liability than a benefit?
Zoltán: Don't say that. I know this is the beginning of a great friendship. Now please help me with this.

Alwin shakes his head but he still helps Zoltán with his barrel of brews.

(Debrecen, Hungary)

The captain enters to speak with the mayor.

Captain: Mayor, have you heard the news?
Rick: What news?
Captain: It would appear that the viceroy is wounded and Dominik got away.
Rick: Really?
Captain: They say that the assassin sneaked in and stabbed the viceroy. The viceroy's bodyguards tried to catch the assassin but they failed.
Rick: Are you sure it's Dominik?
Captain: They say it's the new bodyguard that is responsible. Unless there's someone else we are unaware of, it has to be Dominik.
Rick: So the viceroy will live?
Captain: There hasn't been a confirmation but they say the viceroy may not live any longer.
Rick: That's horrible news.

Rick is looking at the door. The captain turns around to see a guard waiting outside.

Guard: I have a message for the mayor.
Captain: You may enter.

The guard enters and hands the captain a piece of paper before leaving. The captain reads it before handing it to the mayor. The mayor takes a quick look at it.

Dear Mayor,

I have followed your instructions and successfully wounded the viceroy. While he wasn't killed immediately, I made sure it was a mortal wound. I'm sending this message for two reasons. One reason is to report the viceroy's situation. The second reason is due to what I heard from the guards. The viceroy, knowing his days are numbered, planned a meeting. In that meeting, he will have someone read out his will. I believe that you are one of the candidates for some inheritance. That is all.

Dominik

Rick: Well, I must go to the meeting then.
Captain: You sure this isn't a trap?
Rick: Trap for what? Are you saying Dominik betrayed me?
Captain: My gut is telling me that.
Rick: You worry too much. Dominik won't betray me if he wished to live. The viceroy's men are looking for him right now. If he wants to escape Hungary, he needs my help.
Captain: You intend to save him?
Rick: Of course not. Dominik doesn't know that, does he? He thinks I'm aiding him.
Captain: When will you dispose him?
Rick: He will seek my help soon. We will kill him then. As for now, prepare my horse. We are going to see the viceroy for one last time.